National Scrabble Championship

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

National Scrabble Championship

Post by Charlie Reams »

Congratulations to Craig on qualifying today for the NSC final, where he'll play David Webb in a best-of-5 showdown on 18 October. Seems like his Scrabble skills are more refined than his views on football :lol:
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: National Scrabble Championship

Post by Craig Beevers »

Thanks, adds to my rather packed schedule over the next 3 months.

Got my local club's tournament this Sunday
The National Scrabble Championships Team event the weekend after
National Championships final (£1,500 first prize, £750 runner-up) Oct 18th
World Championships - Johor Bahru, Malaysia (US$15,000 first prize) Nov 26th-29th
Causeway Challenge - Johor Bahru, Malaysia (US$20,000 first prize) Dec 2nd-6th

Throw in lots of media guff as well of course. Countdowners have it easy...
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Do you find that you get more Scrabble-related publicity and attention due to your Countdown success? I bet a lot of your opponents are extra-keen to beat you as a result of it?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Martin Smith wrote:Do you find that you get more Scrabble-related publicity and attention due to your Countdown success? I bet a lot of your opponents are extra-keen to beat you as a result of it?
Probably do a get little extra press attention due to winning Countdown, I would think most Scrabble tournaments would mean nothing to outsiders where as they would generally be familiar with Countdown. So the association probably helps with giving me a context and hyping me up.

Being a Countdown winner probably incentivizes the players at the middle and lower rating ranges. I don't think it would make much difference at the top, a fair few of the top players have won Countdown anyway and those that haven't would be potentially good enough to go on Countdown and win a series.