Any tips on getting Chat and/or Spectate to work?

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Paul Hammond
Rookie

Any tips on getting Chat and/or Spectate to work?

Post by Paul Hammond »

I'm new to Apterous and love it, but it appears to me from other comments that, for many or even most people, the Chat and Spectate features work at least some of the time. I'd really like to get them working here, but so far I have drawn a blank. I've tried different versions of Java, different web browsers, and running the web browser as an admin (something I normally avoid). I've also tried it on a different PC at a different location, just in case it was some firewall/network weirdness.
The only remaining common denominator that springs to mind is that both PCs are running Windows XP. Maybe the people for whom it works are running OSX or Linux? This seems like a long shot. But I would even go to those extremes to get Apterous to work fully ;)

So I'm just wondering if anyone has been here before me and found some way round it. TIA for any suggestions.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Any tips on getting Chat and/or Spectate to work?

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Paul Hammond wrote:The only remaining common denominator that springs to mind is that both PCs are running Windows XP. Maybe the people for whom it works are running OSX or Linux?
Aptochat works fine for me on XP. Soz.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I'm struggling to get chat working at the moment. I've never had any problems before and haven't changed anything on my PC. I'm not generally that bothered about chatting but I feel like I'm being rather rude when I play a game and can't make any comments to my opponent!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I have the same problem. If it helps Charlie, the error message I get is
Thread-16 [Initialise chat pane]:java.lang.NullPointerException
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

When I load the main game screen I get an error message in the aptochat box, but simply clicking refresh then enables both chat and spectate. I'm not sure why this is but it works for me.

It took me a couple of days to realise this so apologies to anyone who played me early last week and got the impression I was not particularly friendly.