Countdown Computer Games

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mark Bly

Countdown Computer Games

Post by Mark Bly »

Since Countdown has relaunced itself with Jeff and Rachel, and a lovely new set - isn't it time we had a really good computer game to go along with the series?

I had an amazing idea of how well it would suit the Nintendo DS.. any budding programmers? :P

Just imagine,
1 Player Mode - play alone, against an AI player
2 Player Mode - Download play - Wifi against another player in the room, could create excellent game play!, or even Wifi Connect to anyone else and play another player online
TV Mode - How amazing would it be to have a mode where you can sit down with the NDS when Countdown is on, input the letter used on the rounds on the TV and then play at the same time as the TV. The Nintendo could then Wifi connect to a server and list rankings of everyone's scores at the end of the show...

Also would be a great travel game too. If they can do it for Deal or No Deal, Channel 4 owe it to us to do it for Countdown!!

If only there was a decent place to put a games pitch together, i'm sure this would sell really well!

any thoughts?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Countdown Computer Games

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark Bly wrote:any thoughts?
Just one.
Mark Bly

Post by Mark Bly »

:oops:

Ok, cool, got most of my ideas at they have already been thought of... I was never going to be the greatest of inventors, but since my chosen console for fun games is the Nintendo DS... I still think it would be great if it was launch on the nintendo so that you could play it more portably...

:P yep, i know, if only I had a laptop or hand held pc!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Unfortunately Channel 4 do not have the rights to make a computer game out of Countdown, so you'll never see an official game.
Mark Bly

Post by Mark Bly »

That is such a shame... there was that really old 8-bit game, think it was for the Sinclair...

btw- :o Wow - been in a discussion with someone I've seen on TV :)
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Mark Bly wrote: TV Mode - How amazing would it be to have a mode where you can sit down with the NDS when Countdown is on, input the letter used on the rounds on the TV and then play at the same time as the TV.
They added this mode to the Deluxe version of the handheld game with predictable results. I'd rather hire out my scrotum as a toboggan than go through that again.

I have the Spectrum version on a cassette somewhere. I like to think of it as a memento mori.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mark Bly wrote:That is such a shame... there was that really old 8-bit game, think it was for the Sinclair...

Stay around here more and you'll be immersed with past Countdown stars.
Mark Bly

Post by Mark Bly »

8-) Ok, have to bow down to how cool Apterous is!, except i'm a bit poor at it, i think i'm going to go and read a dictionary! ha..

I just thought with the NDS's touch screen, and even the microphone it had good attributes to the Countdown style game, - the TV idea was then to bring a Wifi idea to compare results,

This is why I am posting an idea on the Forum rather than sitting in a room in a game design studio making the game!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Mark Bly wrote:That is such a shame... there was that really old 8-bit game, think it was for the Sinclair...

Stay around here more and you'll be immersed with past Countdown stars.
And future stars. ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Unfortunately Channel 4 do not have the rights to make a computer game out of Countdown, so you'll never see an official game.
But doesn't someone have the rights?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Unfortunately Channel 4 do not have the rights to make a computer game out of Countdown, so you'll never see an official game.
Almond Jampot retained them, and I think it's pretty unlikely that he'll exercise them now.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Almond Jampot retained them, and I think it's pretty unlikely that he'll exercise them now.
OK. Do the rights just die with him then? Seems a bit weird. I suppose we don't need an official game anyway when we've got Apterous!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Stay around here more and you'll be immersed with past Countdown stars.
I'm sad to admit I showed off to my young sister that I 'knew' Charlie and Corby last week when they were on.
Thankfully it had the right effect and she was silently impressed.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

As far as I'm aware there have been 2 and a half official computer games, 2 official handheld games and 1 official DVD game. They have all, in various measures, been horribly flawed. If I was Arm And Hammer I wouldn't think about attempting it again - especially given the alleged reports about how he feels the show has been treated. And as the show is getting 20% to 33% of the audience of the glory days then that's a hell of a hit to the potential buying public.

But still, the brain training fad is still going strong. If ratings were to pick up considerably, and if Nintendo were to be on board, then anything is possible. Charlie and Jon Corby have shown that a good computer game can be made.

Ooh, Acolyte! Whoop!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Hmm, doesn't Jammot have any children then? I know very little about copyright law, although I think it's very important in today's age to know about it, but if he had children wouldn't they own the copyright?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

I think Marcel Stellman owns the format rights now. But I'm probably wrong.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I meant more that, after nearly 30 years of showing no interest in making a computer game and little interest in the English version at all, our French friends are unlikely to suddenly want to make a decent game out of it.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Ooh, sexy. Your hopes are fulfilled Mark. Ish.

Over to Jeff. Or Martin.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm sad to admit I showed off to my young sister that I 'knew' Charlie and Corby last week when they were on.
I'm sorry - who are you?
Mark Bly

Post by Mark Bly »

Gary Male wrote:Ooh, sexy. Your hopes are fulfilled Mark. Ish.

Over to Jeff. Or Martin.
If only I spoke french better i'd be much happier... :roll: