COOT IV Odds

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: COOT IV Odds

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
Julian wrote:Anyway Richard, expect an angry post from Gevin saying that you've completely ruined the competition because posting odds is something which the eventual winner always does :)
Yeah, good one.
I thought it was quite a good piece of observational comedy about your constant desire to get "one up" on everyone, and you've rather played up to that...
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yay Charlie's sticking up for me! :D :D
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I remember a mate of mine, although I don't think we really "knew" each other at the time, wanted to put money on me to be the Series 49 champion, went down to the bookies and they explained to him that he couldn't because it had already been filmed. I'm a bit intimidated by bookies and I wouldn't mind placing a bet but I've always been afraid of making a tit out of myself. I was thinking about backing Louis Eggermont to be the French language world champion at Scrabble (born in 1983 and has not been yet been Belgian champion or world champion) by 2020 or something.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

My brother put £10 on me at 40/1 before i ever played as a contestant, with Ladbrokes.

That was a handsome return in 1994 or whenever it was. Still, he never gave me anything.......... :evil:
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Martin Gardner wrote:I remember a mate of mine, although I don't think we really "knew" each other at the time, wanted to put money on me to be the Series 49 champion, went down to the bookies and they explained to him that he couldn't because it had already been filmed.
Yeah exactly the same thing happened with me and some people I sort of knew (apart from the series 49 bit :) ). Interesting that some people have managed to put a bet on and some didn't... knowing nothing about bookmaking, tbh I'm surprised bookies would take bets on something which - I assume - they know little about, and which isn't in the public domain in the same way as major sports / horseracing etc. are. How do they work out odds in those cases? If anyone (Jim?) can explain to me how it works, I would be most interested :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

jasoncullen wrote:Twenty on Julian :) . Settled
Looks like £40 is coming my way Richard :lol: . Thanks Julian ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Richard Brittain wrote:Julian, if you're sure you're really not that good, then it's up to you to prove it.
He failed.