Times of Day

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Times of Day

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think I posted something like this before, but here is updated for the first two years of games.

Notice how it's a nice smooth curve everywhere, except for a sudden dip between about 15:15 and 16:00 :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Times of Day

Post by Matt Morrison »

Awesome! Lovely to see. And the dip at-or-just-after midnight is presumably the server doing its reboot thing?
Sexy, lots of games. Well done you.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Awesome! Lovely to see. And the dip at-or-just-after midnight is presumably the server doing its reboot thing?
Interesting question. At first I thought it was just an artefact of the graph wrapping around, but if we rotate the times through 12 hours, it becomes quite distinct:

The reboot-at-midnight thing was a bug and I thought quite a short-lived one, so I'm surprised it's made such a dent, but that might be part of it the explanation. Another possibility is that the points just before midnight are smooth, and then there's a sudden jump just after midnight as lots of people log in to play the duel. Not sure.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

My immediate thought about the midnight dip, even before reading the comments, was that it was people not starting a game in the minutes leading up to midnight so that they could be among the first to play the duel.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Awesome.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:My immediate thought about the midnight dip, even before reading the comments, was that it was people not starting a game in the minutes leading up to midnight so that they could be among the first to play the duel.
I should've said before that those times are game-end rather than game-start, so if anything it's probably the reverse.

Also, necro'd.