Duel Query Friday 4/12

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Duel Query Friday 4/12

Post by Ross Allatt »

Hi, just done the mind-blowing (to my mind :oops: ) three second unlimited variant today. Just a question looking at how others ahead of me have done. I've seen several players who have entered their conundrums at 4.2s, 4.7s, 5.5s. The current leader today answered one of them in 5.6s. How is this possible in a 3s challenge? Am I missing a trick how to cheat time?!
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Re: Duel Query Friday 4/12

Post by Paul Howe »

Ha, I noticed that too. Sometimes the clock drags quite noticably (maybe a multithreading issue?) and as a result you get some extra time at the end of the round. This is only an occasional issue for me, but judging from yesterday's duel results it's actually a fairly pervasive problem.

Bit annoying as I would've come 3rd yesterday if everyone actually had 3s (or perhaps even higher assuming people also had extra time to ponder the letters). Richard Priest would've come 40th instead of 3rd :lol:

Good duel though, I like the insane ones. What happened to the idea of doing a regular duel and a more unconventional one side by side?
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Is it not to do with lag?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote: What happened to the idea of doing a regular duel and a more unconventional one side by side?
I decided it would dilute the specialness of the Duel too much, and once you have two people are always going to be asking for me. I prefer the current pot pourri approach.
Ian Dent wrote:Is it not to do with lag?
No, the timing is done at your end.