Guilty Pleasures

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Guilty Pleasures

Post by Derek Hazell »

To some of us, Countdown is a guilty pleasure. But liking a programme that is educational and fun isn't really all that shameful is it?

What are your real guilty pleasures? Things that you wouldn't rush to talk about in general company, but can admit to here, because we are a trustworthy bunch? When you need to swich your brain off, where do you find solace?

New member AndyB, mentioned that he enjoyed Prisoner: Cell Block H, and I would agree with him on that - great late night entertainment after a long day at work. Also for me, the music of Chris de Burgh, as lyrics are a big thing for me, and aside from Carol's favourite Lady in Red I think some of his lesser known songs are very clever. I also enjoy listening to power ballads when I'm not in the mood for more tasteful stuff. TV-wise I'm not really big on reality shows, but I am a sucker for those countdown programmes - 50 Worst TV Shows This Century and so on.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Post by Charlie Reams »

My guilty pleasure is making Derek's Off Topic threads go off-topic, thus forcing him to do an homebrew thread split.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:My guilty pleasure is making Derek's Off Topic threads go off-topic, thus forcing him to do an homebrew thread split.
:lol:
Aww, thought you liked my off-topic threads at least, because they're to generate discussion and contain very few "jokes".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:My guilty pleasure is making Derek's Off Topic threads go off-topic, thus forcing him to do an homebrew thread split.
:lol:
Aww, thought you liked my off-topic threads at least, because they're to generate discussion and contain very few "jokes".
I'm not against them really, I just couldn't resist highlighting the irony (once I'd figured out WTF had happened).
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Back to the topic...

Snooker, and other people's chips.
I quite like a game of crib too but I'm running out of people to play against. (Come to think of it, that happened with naked Twister, too :lol:)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:I just couldn't resist highlighting the irony (once I'd figured out WTF had happened).
Yeah, I'm the best moderator who never was. :roll:
Lesley Hines wrote:I'm running out of people to play against. (Come to think of it, that happened with naked Twister, too :lol:)
I don't remember you suggesting that at the finals - at least my guilty pleasures list might look a bit more interesting if you had!

Come on, you lot are slipping! I was expecting a one-word post simply saying "sex" from at least one of you by now.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Roquefort cheese. Orgasmic.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Alec Rivers wrote:Roquefort cheese. Orgasmic.
Ooh yeah. Stilton for me. Same guilty pleasure.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Derek Hazell wrote: I was expecting a one-word post simply saying "sex" from at least one of you by now.
You're not married, are you, Derek? :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:Roquefort cheese. Orgasmic.
Ooh yeah. Stilton for me. Same guilty pleasure.
Why Guilty?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Lesley Hines wrote:Back to the topic...

Snooker, and other people's chips.
I quite like a game of crib too but I'm running out of people to play against. (Come to think of it, that happened with naked Twister, too :lol:)
It's nice to get 'One for his knob' any time Lesley. :D
I agree it is hard to find someone to play crib with thse days. Also, a game of 3 card brag + Napoleon. I also have to play Bridge against myself on the old Laptop.

My other guilty pleasure is a bet on the geegees, as that particular avenue of pleasure was cut off years ago, to quote Basil Fawlty :lol:
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I just couldn't resist highlighting the irony (once I'd figured out WTF had happened).

Come on, you lot are slipping! I was expecting a one-word post simply saying "sex" from at least one of you by now.
Yet another avenue of pleasure that was cut off years ago ;)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

And Ben's is using his mod privileges to delete his on-topic post in an off-topic thread when a forced thread change deems his post the only off-topic one where it was previously one of the only ones actually on-topic. (Something to do with online comics by the way - name slips my mind though).
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:

Yet another avenue of pleasure that was cut off years ago ;)
Sigh!
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Derek Hazell wrote: Come on, you lot are slipping! I was expecting a one-word post simply saying "sex" from at least one of you by now.

Sigh!
But why would you feel guilty about that????

My guilty pleasure is lasagne and chips but I very rarely order it now as it just feels too chavvy. :)
Oh, and eating peanut butter or lemon curd (nice lemon curd, not the cheap stuff) out of the jar!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Karen Pearson wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Come on, you lot are slipping! I was expecting a one-word post simply saying "sex" from at least one of you by now.
Sigh!
Well, Countdown nerds might! Anyway, it's the kind of humourous response I've come to expect from this place.
Karen Pearson wrote:My guilty pleasure is lasagne and chips but I very rarely order it now as it just feels too chavvy. :)
Oh, and eating peanut butter or lemon curd (nice lemon curd, not the cheap stuff) out of the jar!
Friendly snobbishness - a great quality, I could start to warm to you.
Kettle Chips, or luxury ice cream straight from the tub definitely count as guilty pleasures, and yes, sneaking some of your favourite cheese late at night when you've already had your "three square meals".
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Karen Pearson wrote:Oh, and eating peanut butter ... out of the jar!
This. And Nutella. :D
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote: Come on, you lot are slipping! I was expecting a one-word post simply saying "sex" from at least one of you by now.

Sigh!

My guilty pleasure is lasagne and chips but I very rarely order it now as it just feels too chavvy. :)
No guilty feelings. just memories. Sorry I veered slightly off topic.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Music: Power ballads and especially Bon Jovi, plus Weird Al Yankovic
TV: Family Guy (very guilty, because artistically it's a crude Simpsons clone with virtually no ideas of its own, but somehow you do laugh at it), Mock the Week (same, except replace Simpsons with Have I Got News For You and add the word repetitive. 50 times, for a joke)
Food: too much cheese, Sainsbury's Oatmeal & raisin cookies
Activity: Apterous
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Eating bogies.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:Eating bogies.
I like eating Whelks, which taste like Neptunes bogies.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
AndyB2007

Post by AndyB2007 »

Another guilty pleasure for me is this show currently on CBS Drama called Models Inc, a spin-off from Melrose Place (itself a spin-off of Beverly Hills 90210) set in a LA modelling agency run by Hilary Michaels (Linda Gray), the mother of Amanda Woodward, Heather Locklear's Melrose Place character.

CBS Drama are showing the episodes with the original Worldvision Enterprises logo at the end as it was shown on Fox in America and Sky One in the UK, which is weird as normally CBS slap their TV Distribution logo over the Worldvision logo nowadays, as seen on this 90210 closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smCkxGm ... re=related