Which languages do you know?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Which languages do you know?

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:Can Karen Pearson or Andy Thomson or anyone else read any of this? http://www.1tv.ru/list/pi=7&pa=%80
I can't, but Google Language Tools can. Here's it's pretty good attempt at the main chunk of text:
In a literal sense, this is not an hour, but only thirty-five minutes.

But for boys and girls, say, or from Kamchatka in the Far North, and even if they do know the difference between Bach and Tchaikovsky, Pushkin and Tolstoy, or Mozart and Salieri, these thirty-five minutes of an unforgettable intellectual competition with their peers in the studio, may as if by magic, become a stellar moment in the triumph of their knowledge, intelligence, responsiveness, freedom of thought, intuition, in the triumph over laziness, passivity, ignorance.

His finest hour of victory here have met dozens, maybe hundreds of kids from all over Russia. And still no end of willing to test themselves on the world, the whole country. And each party can still boast a long time in front of their peers wonderful prizes from generous sponsors, received here for his victory, or simply a will to win.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I can't, but Google Language Tools can. Here's it's pretty good attempt at the main chunk of text
Thank you, Phil.

That doesn't really tell us much about the actual game. I'll see if I can find out some more from her next time we speak.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Derek Hazell wrote:Can Karen Pearson or Andy Thomson or anyone else read any of this? http://www.1tv.ru/list/pi=7&pa=%80
Not me! Sorry, Russian isn't one of my languages. The only reference I made to Russian was that it is just about possible to get by in Portugal by speaking Spanish with a Russian accent (because that's pretty much what Portuguese sounds like to me). Although reading Portuguese is a whole lot easier.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I have a cousin who is fluent - I'll pass it on.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

The languages I know (for some definitions of "know") that aren't already on apterous are Hebrew ("Vowel, please!") and Finnish (which would also be impossible to play Countdown in, partially because of the vowel harmony – you'd need it to be consonants-only unlimited omelette or something – and you'd also need a pretty much infinite dictionary that included every inflected form of every word. So…yeah. T_T).

Thread necromancy, I know, but this topic looked like a fun one.
Francisco Segura

Post by Francisco Segura »

Derek Hazell wrote:Another one who went off the radar (an acronym that has made it into the dictionary) was Spanish Cifras y Letras contestant Francisco Segura.
Hey, I am here again!
SCRAULER