Shuffling

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Shuffling

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:It would be a bit weird to make such a lie. I know he's a magician and he bends the truth but I don't think he normally faces the camera and tells an out and out lie.
But how would you know...?
I suppose I don't but there are times when lying would be "cheating". It's a thin line for a magician, but there are definitely times when I think "If this bit isn't true then he's a cunt."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I saw that too, and I'd be very surprised if he actually did waste 16 hours or whatever filming that segment. The screen was cut into two halves, one half showing him tossing (snigger) and the other showing a close-up of the tray so we could see the outcome of the toss (snigger). I couldn't see any reason why they couldn't just splice in 10 successful tosses into the second half, without it affecting the point he was making.
It would be a bit weird to make such a lie. I know he's a magician and he bends the truth but I don't think he normally faces the camera and tells an out and out lie.
What the hell are you talking about? He constantly "lies". 99% of his "explanations" of how his stuff works is "out and out lies". :|
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I saw that too, and I'd be very surprised if he actually did waste 16 hours or whatever filming that segment. The screen was cut into two halves, one half showing him tossing (snigger) and the other showing a close-up of the tray so we could see the outcome of the toss (snigger). I couldn't see any reason why they couldn't just splice in 10 successful tosses into the second half, without it affecting the point he was making.
It would be a bit weird to make such a lie. I know he's a magician and he bends the truth but I don't think he normally faces the camera and tells an out and out lie.
What the hell are you talking about? He constantly "lies". 99% of his "explanations" of how his stuff works is "out and out lies". :|
Yeah, maybe then. But some lies are sort of part of the act. Whereas some things like "I don't use any stooges" that he does at the beginning would make him a cunt if he was lying. It's a thin line but it is there if you look for it (it's green by the way).

I think a lot of his explanations are partial truths rather than complete lies though.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This post has vague spoilers in it relating to the first episode of series 61, so if you don't want me to spoil anything dont read the rest of this post :D
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I noticed on todays episode, which happened to be the first episode of series 61 that the letters selections seemed to be really nice, and I was wondering if it was anything to do with a change of shuffuffeller. Now that recordings are in Manchester, the person who sorts the letters tiles out before games could be different, does anyone know if that is the case? I might be over speculating things a bit here, but maybe we could see some really fruitful rounds over the next few episodes. A bit like how the CoC rounds were harder than usual but the other way round.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by JackHurst on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JackHurst wrote:This post has vague spoilers in it relating to the first episode of series 60, so if you don't want me to spoil anything dont read the rest of this post :
No it doesn't, it contains spoilers for the first episode of series 61, which I hadn't seen yet.

You've ruined everything, I hate you.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

JackHurst wrote:I noticed on todays episode, which happened to be the first episode of series 61 that the letters selections seemed to be really nice, and I was wondering if it was anything to do with a change of shuffuffeller. Now that recordings are in Manchester, the person who sorts the letters tiles out before games could be different, does anyone know if that is the case? I might be over speculating things a bit here, but maybe we could see some really fruitful rounds over the next few episodes. A bit like how the CoC rounds were harder than usual but the other way round.

Any thoughts?
It's impossible to say after just one episode. However (spoiler relating to events in series 61 ahead)

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I've heard there have been lots of nines available in quite a few series 61 games.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Who said I have a mother?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jon Corby wrote:
JackHurst wrote:This post has vague spoilers in it relating to the first episode of series 60, so if you don't want me to spoil anything dont read the rest of this post :
No it doesn't, it contains spoilers for the first episode of series 61, which I hadn't seen yet.

You've ruined everything, I hate you.
Ha. I'll edit that error out. Just remember you have to cut up the wrists, not across them Jon! :D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JackHurst wrote:Now that recordings are in Manchester, the person who sorts the letters tiles out before games could be different, does anyone know if that is the case?
Presumably it's still Demi as she was in today's end credits.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
JackHurst wrote:Now that recordings are in Manchester, the person who sorts the letters tiles out before games could be different, does anyone know if that is the case?
I'm pretty sure Demi left at the end of the last series, unless they changed their plans for some reason.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I'm pretty sure Demi left at the end of the last series, unless they changed their plans for some reason.
IIRC she told me that she was going to Manchester and would be there for at least a couple of weeks, but after that her future was uncertain.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

When I recorded the other day and was sitting in the audience, there was a bloke beside me who had a load of letters in front of him. Whether or not he was the actual shuffler I don't know, but it sure as hell wasn't a she.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Simon Myers wrote:IIRC she told me that she was going to Manchester and would be there for at least a couple of weeks, but after that her future was uncertain.
I'm sure she told me she'd be there until the summer filming break and was unsure whether she'd be going back after that.
Demi

Post by Demi »

I did go over to Manchester to do the first week of recordings for series 61, but was told I was no longer required after this. My last show goes out this Friday, so expect the shuffling to be different next week as I'm not sure what the arrangement is now.

And before anyone goes digging for dirt, I've not fallen out with Damian or any of the girls in the office (who I'm pleased to say are still based in Leeds - Hurrah!)!!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've noticed that Micheal (sic) does a lot of shuffling in his seat
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Demi wrote:I did go over to Manchester to do the first week of recordings for series 61, but was told I was no longer required after this.
Sorry to hear that - you seem very "Down to Earth" ;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Demi wrote:I did go over to Manchester to do the first week of recordings for series 61, but was told I was no longer required after this. My last show goes out this Friday, so expect the shuffling to be different next week as I'm not sure what the arrangement is now.

And before anyone goes digging for dirt, I've not fallen out with Damian or any of the girls in the office (who I'm pleased to say are still based in Leeds - Hurrah!)!!
You will be much missed :(
Demi

Post by Demi »

[quote="Derek Hazell"]Sorry to hear that - you seem very "Down to Earth"

Now that takes me back...!