Spoilers for Tue 03/03/2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Tue 03/03/2009

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I think it would be a psycological advantage to come up with an obscure or crazy word. It would show to your opponent you have a superior word knowledge (you're a lexonerd) and even though you got the same amount of points it would seem like an advantage. Well, I dunno, I haven't been there but don't you think this is a factor too?
Also, isn't the whole point in going on Countdown to show off how clever you are? Cos that's what it is to me.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Paul Howe wrote:And I'm going to refrain from posting how I got on against Kirk today...
You're a better man than I, Paul. I can't resist saying I owned Kirk, thanks mainly to the two numbers he missed. I anticipate a backlash in tomorrow's game.

In terms of declaring fancy words, I think if you've spent ages learning obscure words then you are entitled to want to flaunt them a bit.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Likewise Junaid. I beat him with crucial conundrum. Can't believe he took so long.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Also, isn't the whole point in going on Countdown to show off how clever you are? Cos that's what it is to me.
Well if it is, I reiterate the bit it not being particularly clever to declare an obscure word, mispronounce it, and have no idea what it means. That's not really "clever", that's "practising purely for Countdown". I'm not knocking anybody for this obviously, since I did a little bit of practise myself, but hardly anyone admits this on TV - it's always "I just remember seeing the word somewhere" or somesuch. Charlie was quite rare in admitting that he read the dictionary. Generally, nobody wants to be seen on TV saying "I've devoted thousands of hours to learning words so I can win a few games of Countdown", so not doing the "fancy words" thing is just another aspect of this.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

And there was me thinking it was just supposed to be fun...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Today wasn't one of my best games. Realising I only had a 7/15 max game frustrated me immensely as I hadn't had a game this poor in ages. I had loads of others 7s in the HEDARIM round but knew HEDARIM was in which is why I offered it. I'm so glad Susie rechecked. She told me afterwards she was sure it was in that's why she continued to check.

As for offering the obscure word there are a couple of reasons why I do it. One is a psychological advantage that I hope to get and the other is that when you practise so hard and learn these words it seems a shame to ignore them and be boring and offer something like MARRIED which anyone can spot. After all the programme is supposed to be an education (which was mentioned yesterday) and although I don't know the definitions, Susie can enlighten us with what they mean.

I was deeply annoyed to miss 2 numbers games today, and in fact be beaten on my first round in 29 rounds of Countdown. In round 7 the first T N G E O I D E came out. You don't understand my excitement when I tried fishing for a final R for REDINGOTE for 9. Me, Charlie and Sid had discussed the night before in the hotel certain things I had to do to earn a Box Pizza from Charlie free of charge and offering REDINGOTE was one of them. My heart sank when the final letter was a G and my TEEING equalled the maximum that round. Surprising. Can't believe I didn't risk NANNIED either but I was being very cautious.

For anyone interested my 919 was: (6+3)x100=900. (75+1)/4=19 to add on, which I thought was quite nice. I never thought of using the 75 route.

I felt VIBRIO was a nice spot to end what would otherwise be a poor game. Sorry folks.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Today wasn't one of my best games.
Oh dear Kirk. Try to at least keep up the pretence?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ha. I have had so many people say they beat me today. Now I know what everyone else was talking about when they had the same thing happen to them.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Highlight of the show? Seeing the challenger mouth something like "I beat a maths teacher" to Kirk after the final numbers round. :lol:

I'd hope the stick off the kids isn't too bad after that, but after all the "Only 14 maxes for me today - I suck" posts, I think you deserve it.

I expect victim #3 to face an onslaught...
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:And I'm going to refrain from posting how I got on against Kirk today, despite being desperate to do so after his blow by blow account of how he beat me in my CofC quarter final 3 years ago (some of us have long memories :mrgreen: )
You may be refraining, Paul, but I certainly can't hold back. I was even at a crucial conundrum with him, and eventually lost by a mere 19 points. Definitely the closest I'm ever likely to get to Kirk.
Me too, Howard! :) CC, that is, and 76 to Kirk's 90. :) :)
He beat me on some of the letters rounds, but I caught up by beating him on the numbers rounds 5 and 14.

He won, though, and is the champ for another day. Let's hope Kirk's over his nerves now.
Round 11 very entertaining. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:1st numbers:

(25 + 9 + 4) x 10 x (7 - 5) = 380 x 2 = 760
I did (((7 * 5) - (9 - 4))*25) + 10

Seemed easy to me!
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Adam Dexter wrote:
Mark Kudlowski wrote:1st numbers:

(25 + 9 + 4) x 10 x (7 - 5) = 380 x 2 = 760
I did (((7 * 5) - (9 - 4))*25) + 10

Seemed easy to me!
But you're not sat in the chair trying to find different ways of finding 760 (like 76x10 or a split multiplication like Rachel did.) with a clock ticking behind you with music pouring out and millions of people watching at home. I agree - I was shit.