Only Connect

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: Lesley Hines, JackHurst

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Re: Only Connect

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Easiest walls for a long time.
But well done both teams
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Well done indeed, and particularly to the Verbivores (Graeme Cole, Tom Cappleman, Phyl Styles) for winning the whole series!* I do think it's slightly odd that you get timed out if you don't buzz in time in round 1. Basically you're just buzzing to buy a bit of extra time for your guess anyway. Given that everyone would do this, they might as well take a non-buzz as an assumed buzz at the end of the time.

*This is a spoilers thread. You wouldn't come in here if you hadn't seen the programme.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Yay, well done to Graeme, Phyl and Tom! Superb quizzing :)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 am

MR KLWSF RNC SBKWL
YLNSN BYVL RDM S
ST VCR MNT LMNT SH
LRRNG NZ BDBB

Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:44 pm

1) Mark Lewis-Francis Obikwelu
2) Yelena Isinbayevalerie Adams
3) Steve Cramantle Montsho
4) Lorraine Ugenzebe Dibaba

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Matt Bayfield wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:44 pm
1) Mark Lewis-Francis Obikwelu
2) Yelena Isinbayevalerie Adams
3) Steve Cramantle Montsho
4) Lorraine Ugenzebe Dibaba
Correct! Francis Obikwelu was pervading my consciousness this morning for some reason so I decided to incorporate his name into a quiz.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Just when I thought I had worked out how the Only Connect heats system works, it throws a complete curveball.

Surely tonight's game should have been between the Dicers and the Forrests, both of whom won their opening games? What does the withdrawal of the Dragons have to do with it? The Dragons shouldn't have been playing until the next section, where all the 1-1 teams play off for a quarter final place (based on my understanding of how I thought this worked).

It would make much more sense if it was the Forrests who had withdrawn. But now the Brews have played 3 games, lost them all, and STILL aren't eliminated (capitals for emphasis, not impotent armchair rage. Though I admit I'm not happy).

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 pm

Fred Mumford wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 pm
Just when I thought I had worked out how the Only Connect heats system works, it throws a complete curveball.

Surely tonight's game should have been between the Dicers and the Forrests, both of whom won their opening games? What does the withdrawal of the Dragons have to do with it? The Dragons shouldn't have been playing until the next section, where all the 1-1 teams play off for a quarter final place (based on my understanding of how I thought this worked).

It would make much more sense if it was the Forrests who had withdrawn. But now the Brews have played 3 games, lost them all, and STILL aren't eliminated (capitals for emphasis, not impotent armchair rage. Though I admit I'm not happy).
The first eight matches were between the 16 teams in the series. The eight losers played each other in four other matches (the "second chance saloon"?), the losers of which went out (this included the Brews), and the winners of which (including the Dragons) were to join the eight first round winners in the second round, which is the round being played at the moment. Tonight's episode was the third game in the second round.

But the Dragons withdrew, so they needed to be replaced. Of the four losers in the second chance saloon, the Brews lost with the highest score (26). In fact you don't even have to limit this choice to those four losing teams - the Brews' score of 26 is the highest losing score of the series so far.

I don't think there's any requirement that in the second round, the first-round winners have to play each other rather than the winners of the saloon round - why would there be?

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 am

Based on what has happened so far, I think it works like this:-

16 teams, so 8 games in the "heats" round. Following this we have 8 winners (1-0) and 8 losers (0-1).

Next stage is the "losers" round - win this and you're at 1-1 and survive, lose and you're 0-2 and BFH as Jim Bowen would say.

Then all the first round winners play each other. Win this and you go straight to the quarter finals with a 2-0 record. Lose it and you go to 1-1 and survive.

So now we have 4 quarter finalists (2-0), 4 eliminated teams (0-2), and 8 teams sitting on (1-1). These eight teams presumably then play off to join the 2-0 teams in the quarter finals.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves, we are still at the stage of all the first round winners playing each other. It all made sense until last night.

Thomas Cappleman
Acolyte

Post by Thomas Cappleman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:13 am

Fred Mumford wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 am
Based on what has happened so far, I think it works like this:-

16 teams, so 8 games in the "heats" round. Following this we have 8 winners (1-0) and 8 losers (0-1).

Next stage is the "losers" round - win this and you're at 1-1 and survive, lose and you're 0-2 and BFH as Jim Bowen would say.

Then all the first round winners play each other. Win this and you go straight to the quarter finals with a 2-0 record. Lose it and you go to 1-1 and survive.

So now we have 4 quarter finalists (2-0), 4 eliminated teams (0-2), and 8 teams sitting on (1-1). These eight teams presumably then play off to join the 2-0 teams in the quarter finals.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves, we are still at the stage of all the first round winners playing each other. It all made sense until last night.
Yeah, this was my understanding too. This would be basically be 2 lots of the UC quarter final format in parallel. If you don't match up teams with the same number of wins and losses then you can't guarantee how many wins and losses the winner and loser will have. For example, if the Dragons had been in that match and lost they'd then be going out with 3 losses if they lost their next as well, whereas the Dicers would go out with only 2 losses.

I suspect what happened here is that when they needed to make a sudden replacement this was the easiest way to schedule it. Sucks for the Forrests though, as they could now go out with only 1 loss (or potentially another team, if there's been even more shuffling).