Favourite DC guest

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Favourite DC guest

Post by Debbi Flack »

This has probably been done somewhere else, but as we have so many new members I thought I'd resurrect it

My personal faves are Richard Digance and Phil Hammond. RD makes me laugh just looking at him, and, as an ex-nurse, PH makes my PMSL. :lol: :lol:
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
John Douglas
Acolyte

Re: Favourite DC guest

Post by John Douglas »

Keith Barron. After that Giles Brandreth. The important thing to me is that they should make me laugh - I am not so impressed by stories about having once shaken the hand of the Duke of Edinburgh, or dubious lodgings provided for retired actors, etc.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Paul Zenon and Richard Digance are my favourites. Although I dont mind which DC guest it is really as long as they have something interesting/humourous/witty/non-self-indulgent to say, or a good poem.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Hammond and Paul Zenon are the only ones I look forward to. As Michael said in the mirror thread, I doubt I'm in the target demographic for most of them.
jeff wharton
Rookie

Post by jeff wharton »

I agree with most of the above,Hammond,Xenon,Digence and Barron.
To that list I would like to add Tom O,Connor.I still like the old jokes.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Richard Digance is bottom of my list, close to Anne Widdecombe and Melvyn Hayes.
I am not sure if Richard Digance appears more often than everybody else, or whether it just seems that way to me.
I like Barry Cryer, Keith Barron, Jo Brand, Phil Hammond, and I used to like Geoffrey Durham, but I haven't seen him on for a long time.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

There have been so many guests over the past 26 years that I like, though most don't appear in DC any more.

Just going by the past 2 series for example, they would be Lynda Baron, Jo Brand, Paul Zenon, Anton du Beke and Andrew Sachs.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Stilgoe! Why isn't he on much?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I'd forgotten about Richard Stilgoe! I can't remember the last time he was on, bring him back I say!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

There aren't many that I don't like, although I can't say that I'm fond of magicians when they appear, as I don't like trickery.
Comedians are always good for banter, of course, especially Jo Brand. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

My favourite DC guest of all time is Ricahrd Stilgoe - a brilliant wit!

I know he is controversial but I did like Gyles Brandreth and would like to see him more often.

Of the current guests I like Phil Hammond the most. I usually fast forward through the others.

Allan
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

aagharmer wrote:I know he is controversial but I did like Gyles Brandreth and would like to see him more often.
I liked the colourful jumpers that Gyles always wore and also the ties that Richard Whiteley used to wear.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
aagharmer wrote:I know he is controversial but I did like Gyles Brandreth and would like to see him more often.
I liked the colourful jumpers that Gyles always wore and also the ties that Richard Whiteley used to wear.
Quite agree Jospeh - They were both really good together. Happy days!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Not everyone loves Stilgoe, or indeed Countdown

http://aerialtelly.co.uk/balderdash-and-piffle.php

Actually that article makes a fine point about Victoria Coren, she is lovely. And quite funny, and seems to like words and stuff and presents a brainy quiz on BBC4 in which she is lovely and quite funny, and I read two of her articles in the Guardian and they were quite funny.

The point I'm trying to make is I'd like to see her in DC. I know we've had bad experiences with posh journalists called Victoria, but I think this one would be lovely.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Paul Howe wrote:

Actually that article makes a fine point about Victoria Coren, she is lovely. And quite funny, and seems to like words and stuff and presents a brainy quiz on BBC4 in which she is lovely and quite funny, and I read two of her articles in the Guardian and they were quite funny.

The point I'm trying to make is I'd like to see her in DC. I know we've had bad experiences with posh journalists called Victoria, but I think this one would be lovely.
I would also have liked to see her late father Alan Coren in DC as he was so good on 'Call MY Bluff'
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

aagharmer wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:

I would also have liked to see her late father Alan Coren in DC as he was so good on 'Call MY Bluff'
Me too but its probably not appropriate any more. He'd probably still be wittier than most of what we get treated to at the moment.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

[quote="Paul Howe"]Not everyone loves Stilgoe, or indeed Countdown."=quote]

:o :o
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:Not everyone loves Stilgoe, or indeed Countdown.
I think you'll find we love Countdown, we go to town.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:Not everyone loves Stilgoe, or indeed Countdown.
I think you'll find we love Countdown, we go to town.
:lol: