Countdown Wiki

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Countdown Wiki

Post by David O'Donnell »

Nice one, Soo or whoever. I love the caption to my photograph! :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Countdown Wiki

Post by Charlie Reams »

Most of the article was written by Ben and Martin, I think, although I take responsibility for the caption...
mackenzie

Post by mackenzie »

I quite enjoyed the caption to Julian Fell's picture as well...
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Haha only just seen that! lol

Are those quotes from Kirk on his article genuine? If so they're legendary!!
mackenzie

Post by mackenzie »

This quote is just begging for a picture to be uploaded so it can be used as a caption:
"am i the only one not to know the definition of phallus here?"
Perhaps Kirk with a huge phallic silhouette in the background? Or dancing it up at a gay club?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Incidentally yes, those quotes are genuine. That section could easily be expanded, Kirk has a talent for the soundbite...
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I have channel 4 on demand so whenever there's an Octochamp or a finalist I can take a picture using print screen. I also managed to get a few from YouTube (cf James Martin, DCeDL, etc...)

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Incidentally yes, those quotes are genuine. That section could easily be expanded, Kirk has a talent for the soundbite...
Kirk you actually said that to a girl? Were you drunk at the time?
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

'Editorialising' I think is the technical term for David's caption.
mackenzie

Post by mackenzie »

Kirk's page has been updated with some brilliant new quotes haha...I also had a good laugh at this one about Des O'Connor:
He is best known for his orange hue and love of soap operas.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I have just looked at my page and found out I got a measly 53 out of 90 maxes in my prelims, including just 5 in my 8th, which averages 6.625 a game.

And you haven't changed 'This Month's Featured Article'.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I have just looked at my page and found out I got a measly 53 out of 90 maxes in my prelims, including just 5 in my 8th, which averages 6.625 a game.
I've just looked at that as well now. One thing interesting about those maxes of yours (and I make it 54 btw) is how they are spread over the three parts of the shows. 13 are in part 1, 12 in part 2, and 29 in part 3. Even getting all 8 conundrums, doesn't account for the general improvement as you went into the last third of each game.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I have just looked at my page and found out I got a measly 53 out of 90 maxes in my prelims, including just 5 in my 8th, which averages 6.625 a game.
I've just looked at that as well now. One thing interesting about those maxes of yours (and I make it 54 btw) is how they are spread over the three parts of the shows. 13 are in part 1, 12 in part 2, and 29 in part 3. Even getting all 8 conundrums, doesn't account for the general improvement as you went into the last third of each game.
You're probably right with 54 :)

That is very strange with the maxes. I also seem to have performed better in the evening than earlier.

And, quite off the subject, I missed a 7-letter in the EMPTINESS round that begins with PEN :D
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kai Laddiman wrote:And, quite off the subject, I missed a 7-letter in the EMPTINESS round that begins with PEN :D
I can't think what that can possibly be. :lol:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Can I have a cool picture of my 'thoughtful' face? (Preferably with a catchy caption.)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Martin Gardner wrote:I have channel 4 on demand so whenever there's an Octochamp or a finalist I can take a picture using print screen. I also managed to get a few from YouTube (cf James Martin, DCeDL, etc...)

Martin
Is there some difference between 4OD and catch-up that allows you to print screen? I've been trying to get images from one of my games on catch-up, but it's not working.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Martin Bishop wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I have channel 4 on demand so whenever there's an Octochamp or a finalist I can take a picture using print screen. I also managed to get a few from YouTube (cf James Martin, DCeDL, etc...)

Martin
Is there some difference between 4OD and catch-up that allows you to print screen? I've been trying to get images from one of my games on catch-up, but it's not working.
I can't vouch for either but you shouldn't be able to screengrab ANY videos - they are displayed using DirectX, a different graphics processing method to the rest of the desktop that is being displayed. Think of them as being two different layers, the screenprint will only pick up the desktop and just have a black space where the video was playing.

Sometimes you can get around this by full-screening the video and then trying to print screen (so long as you are using a single monitor and none of the desktop is being displayed when video is full screen) but usually if you want to get screen grabs from videos (or indeed games) then you'll need a bit of software that is a bit cleverer than the print screen button by itself. Shouldn't be hard to find something freeware on Google.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:

Martin
I can't vouch for either but you shouldn't be able to screengrab ANY videos - they are displayed using DirectX, a different graphics processing method to the rest of the desktop that is being displayed. Think of them as being two different layers, the screenprint will only pick up the desktop and just have a black space where the video was playing.

Sometimes you can get around this by full-screening the video and then trying to print screen (so long as you are using a single monitor and none of the desktop is being displayed when video is full screen) but usually if you want to get screen grabs from videos (or indeed games) then you'll need a bit of software that is a bit cleverer than the print screen button by itself. Shouldn't be hard to find something freeware on Google.
Or use an operating system without the retarded display mechanism.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I don't think this is an incredibly nice thing about a brilliant bloke who looks uncannily like Peter Davies!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I don't think this is an incredibly nice thing about a brilliant bloke who looks uncannily like Peter Davies!
Well, he wrote it...
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Haha nice :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Just a little point: on the records page, it says that the longest word spelt forward is LOUNGED. I remember one game where MEANDER was spelt out. Was I dreaming, or can anyone else find the link?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I think it would be cool to have maxes highlighted on the Wiki.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Any chance of a link to wherever these Kirk quotes can be found?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

They used to be on http://sooreams.com/ but they aren't available there any longer. Also Charlie looks a hell of a lot more attractive there than in real life.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Any chance of a link to wherever these Kirk quotes can be found?
I've still got a copy of most of them on my PC, along with most of the rest of the msn archive. Bevins, if you're reading, pm me whether you'd prefer to pay by cheque or Paypal. :mrgreen:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gary Male wrote:They used to be on http://sooreams.com/ but they aren't available there any longer. Also Charlie looks a hell of a lot more attractive there than in real life.
I prefer http://jononeill.com/.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Gary Male wrote:They used to be on http://sooreams.com/ but they aren't available there any longer. Also Charlie looks a hell of a lot more attractive there than in real life.
I don't fancy yours much.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gary Male wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I don't fancy yours much.
I don't fancy either of them much, but Jono's has a much more interesting list of links.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Why has this episode had so many views? I can't see anything special about it, apart from the fact that it has the exact same conundrum scramble as one of Junaid's.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Why has this episode had so many views? I can't see anything special about it, apart from the fact that it has the exact same conundrum scramble as one of Junaid's.
Puzzled me for a while as well. I eventually solved the mystery; one of the contestants (I forget which) posted a link to it on his blog. Can't find the blog now though, I guess it's since been deleted.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Why has this episode had so many views? I can't see anything special about it, apart from the fact that it has the exact same conundrum scramble as one of Junaid's.
What a piss easy conundrum, you'd have to be an absolute retard not to get that.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Lol, this website now exists.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Can anyone identify this contestant?

Thanks.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I'll take that as a "no" then.

In other news, there is now a box on the front page of the Wiki which lists upcoming Countdown-related events (tournaments). This is a useful quick reference to save searching all through here when you fancy attending something.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.