How has c4c influenced you?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I've been on this forum for a few years now, and despite not posting as much as I once did, I still have a keen interest in reading the forum.

I'm interested to see if any of you have been influenced by anything you have ever read on this forum.

For me, when I'm working in Sainsbury's, I always give out change Reynolds-style, all the time being conscious of the fact that reading that post influenced this.

So maybe you now eat your Weetabix completely differently than you used to? Or perhaps (another Reynoldsism) you don't even buy shampoo anymore! Your politics may have changed thanks to Rhys Benjamin's political insight. You could have a passion for steam locomotives thanks to George F. Jenkins or got interested in cryptic crosswords because of the thread. Who knows, you might have cake forks in your kitchen drawers now or fake corks, for that matter. Or maybe you just learnt a word or something cool which you wouldn't have done without c4c.

Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: How has c4c influenced you?

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I think it's just made me steadily more bitter...
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I think Ryan's hit the nail on the head. This forum has been, well, certainly an experience. As with Ryan, I'm tied up in a million and one things at the moment and the Countdown world is quite low on the list right now. My political insight is now mostly on my highly successful (in my view) blog, as well as some other things.

In terms of what I have 'learnt' from this board, probably the ability (?) to look at anything and shout out some anagrams, and not much else.

Nonetheless, the rather hilarious crowd chart of everyone's political positions (of which I have bookmarked on my other computer) was certainly an insight! Everyone was stuck in the deep Liberal Left, with Ryan Taylor, Joseph Krol, and Thomas Carey in slightly more central positions, whereas I'm in the Authoritarian Right (though not so much on the authoritarian front!). This shows me how hard the task is for 2015 (of which, my local Conservative candidate, Hannah David, has said she'd give me a UCAS reference for my endless volunteering!).

And I've seen some rather awful humour.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's made me realise that no-one wants to discuss anything on here any more. I don't know if it's just this forum or in general, whether it's because people like to do their discussions in the far-less-suitable medium of Facebook, but we don't have good non-Countdown discussions/debates any more.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I don't think Facebook is less suited for it, to be honest. You know how some people are idiots who shouldn't be heard from and who actively (or intentionally yet persistently) make discussions worse? Via Facebook, you can control that.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote:I don't think Facebook is less suited for it, to be honest. You know how some people are idiots who shouldn't be heard from and who actively (or intentionally yet persistently) make discussions worse? Via Facebook, you can control that.
Stuff is better archived on a forum and it's more neutral in that it's not on one person's profile and it's far easier and less fiddly to read a thread.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

I've: (a) learnt what Butthurt means and (b) that I truly am VERY butthurt at times.

Cheers!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I've learnt that I'm not very intellectual, and that there's a mathematical explaination for pretty much any game or trick or foible. Also that I'm lazy in my writing, especially where it comes to description.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles