New Word

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

New Word

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

If you could create a new word, what would it be and what would the definition be?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: New Word

Post by Craig Beevers »

There's quite a few inventions of this type that have made it into CSW (Scrabble dictionary)

For instance today adding in a load more low probability 7s I came across SHEEPLE, which is as expected a mix of SHEEP and PEOPLE. Definition is listed as "people who follow the majority view"

Another one was WANKSTA, but that was surprisingly (to me anyway) defined as "a wannabe gangsta"
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I can't wait for Matthew Green's invention(s)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

When I was setting it up a few years ago, I rather enjoyed enthusiatically referring to my stocks and shares ISA as a SHISA but I believe it's now genuinely referred to as that, by people who aren't trying to impersonate a Tourettes sufferer in the bank managers office.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Limerickable (adj.) - applied to a phrase or collection of words (e.g. a Facebook status) that can be easily turned into a limerick. I have a friend who's into haiku, so I fight back with limericks, and take any opportunity to strike. However, some of her status updates are much more limerickable than others. It all depends on the rhythm and rhymes of the words she feeds me.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

An opposite for elevate, possibly delevate. And an anagram of SOTERIAL*, because there really should be an 8 from that selection.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

WARNING: ADULT CONTENT
Charlie Reams wrote:And an anagram of SOTERIAL*, because there really should be an 8 from that selection.
ORALITE (plural ORALITES). A droplet or glob of fluid involuntarily expelled from the mouth or nose when coughing or choking during oral sex. Etymology: ORAL + ITE (cf meteorite).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I invented a new word during a dream once. It was kinda odd, because it wasn't the focus of the dream, nor was any sort of attention drawn to it (for example, nobody in the dream said "what does that mean?". The word was enrag (verb), being a sort of opposite of enrich, i.e. to make something shit(ter). I'm pretty sure I'd never heard/thought of it before.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Alex Horne, who was on Countdown around August 2008, is into word inventions and is partly responsible for http://www.verbalgardening.com
His new word, allegedly, which he got accepted on Countdown, was 'honk' (meaning money) - which obviously has another meaning and is not as good as 'dosh' anyway. But he is a nice bloke.

We have the word 'grimble' in everyday use, meaning instant coffee. Don't even ask!

I rather like 'dongola' meaning a dickhead, but it is also a town in Sudan.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

If anyone hasn't read it, track down a copy of 'The Meaning of Liff' by Douglas Adams (Yes, that one) and John Lloyd. In brief, it gives definitions to place names. My favourite and still in use in my little world...Peoria (a city in the US) is 'the fear of peeling too few potatoes'. My own offering for an entry in the book would be Auchenshuggle (a suburb of Glasgow) which I would describe as the 'multitude of small manoeuvres you make when your first approach at parallel parking wasn't quite right.
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:If anyone hasn't read it, track down a copy of 'The Meaning of Liff' by Douglas Adams (Yes, that one) and John Lloyd. In brief, it gives definitions to place names.
Yes indeedy. My favourite (which I think was in one of the supplements, rather than the original book) is:

stuttgart, n: The aghast feeling one gets on returning from the bathroom to the bedroom to discover that the person one is about to sleep with looks hideously different with no clothes on.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

PSEUDOTRASH- a new breed of people like Katie Price and Brian Dowling who are famous but have never actually done anything to deserve it

UBERPEASANTS- people who buy the Daily mail, vote Griffin and shop at Iceland

SPACKTARDS- people who have no actual medical condition but function at the level of the mentally handicapped (not mentioning any names)

SHEDOPHILES- the strange new breed of female child molesters

XISTENTIALISTS- housebound agoraphobics and office workers whose only contact with the outside world and only source of acceptable conversation revolves solely around the latest goings on in X-Factor

PIGSNIFFLERS- hypochondriacs who instantly label mild symptoms of unwellness as severe Swine Flu before dramatically and unnecessarily quarantining themselves

THUNDERAIDS- people who play the sex lottery every saturday night
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I've demonstrated my enjoyment of this by posting it on Facebook. Only I haven't because I found Facebook user unfriendly enough as it was, so now they've buggered around with it I can't manage it at all. Well, the thought was there! And some confusion might ensue as I already have a 'Matthew Green' as a friend. I'm not calling you my friend, Matthew, well not yet. But I am just blathering ...to put off going to the gym.

Uh oh - the mentalist and glorified karaoke singer, Bonnie Tyler is being interviewed on the radio. Can someone actually BE that Welsh. I'm going to the gym!
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Talking of definitions of place names, I still like this one from Not The Nine O'Clock News:

SHOEBURYNESS: The uncomfortable feeling you get when sitting on a seat which is still warm from somebody else's bottom.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Alec Rivers wrote:Talking of definitions of place names, I still like this one from Not The Nine O'Clock News:

SHOEBURYNESS: The uncomfortable feeling you get when sitting on a seat which is still warm from somebody else's bottom.
That one's definitely in "The Meaning of Liff" as well. Douglas Adams and John Lloyd wrote the "Oxtail English Dictionary" pieces for the NOT! 1982 calendar/book but I hadn't realised they recycled them for Liff.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jennifer Turner wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:Talking of definitions of place names, I still like this one from Not The Nine O'Clock News:

That one's definitely in "The Meaning of Liff" as well. Douglas Adams and John Lloyd wrote the "Oxtail English Dictionary" pieces for the NOT! 1982 calendar/book but I hadn't realised they recycled them for Liff.
The Deeper Meaning of Liff is the extended sequel too.

One of my mates went out with a lass from Elsrickle, and was greatly amused by her annoyance at the following:

ELSRICKLE (n) A bead of sweat which runs down your bottom cleavage.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

"grob" which was designed to be an infinitely strong swear word - generally a noun.

And "Jubb" named after someone from school - a pejorative word which is fairly evenly split between being an adjective and a noun. Normally if something/someone is a bit rubbish.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

More 'Liff' offerings of my own making....

Ugglebarnby (N.Yorks) An altercation between any two Northerners of pensionable age.
Throcking (Herts) The Southern equivilent of an Ugglebarnby
Higham Ferrers (Northants) Household articles considered suitable to be stored away on a difficult-to-reach shelf.
Upton Hellions ( Devon) Those higham ferrers which are stored in an airing cupboard and only used when someone in the household has flu.
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

On 07 Oct 2009, Sue Sanders wrote:... wouldn't that have been the equivilent of you missing TEANSONBOAST?
On 01 Nov 2009, Sue Sanders wrote:It's the virtual equivilent of having someone crawl under your restaurant table and give you a blow job!
Sue Sanders wrote:Throcking (Herts) The Southern equivilent of an Ugglebarn
I didn't want to risk coming across as some sort of pernickety pedant on the previous occasions ("too late for that, mate," you all cry) but I thought you might like to know the correct spelling is equivalent. :)

p.s. I like your definitions, though. ;)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Alec Rivers wrote:
On 07 Oct 2009, Sue Sanders wrote:... wouldn't that have been the equivilent of you missing TEANSONBOAST?
On 01 Nov 2009, Sue Sanders wrote:It's the virtual equivilent of having someone crawl under your restaurant table and give you a blow job!
Sue Sanders wrote:Throcking (Herts) The Southern equivilent of an Ugglebarn
I didn't want to risk coming across as some sort of pernickety pedant on the previous occasions ("too late for that, mate," you all cry) but I thought you might like to know the correct spelling is equivalent. :)

p.s. I like your definitions, though. ;)
Ok - I'm climbing into the hairshirt now (It's UgglebarnBY btw :D )
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:More 'Liff' offerings of my own making....

Ugglebarnby (N.Yorks) An altercation between any two Northerners of pensionable age.
Higham Ferrers (Northants) Household articles considered suitable to be stored away on a difficult-to-reach shelf.
Upton Hellions ( Devon) Those higham ferrers which are stored in an airing cupboard and only used when someone in the household has flu.
I thought throcking was what one does to a toaster that's not working properly?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ian Volante wrote:I thought throcking was what one does to a toaster that's not working properly?
Indeed: The action of continually pushing down the lever on a pop-up toaster in the hope that you will thereby get it to understand that you want it to toast something.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:

Can I borrow your 'Meaning of Liff' please - I lost mine in the divorce and haven't read it for about ooh, 15 years... If I promise not to turn it into a LUDLOW or get it covered in GOOSENARGS?
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

LOGIE COLDSTONE. That unwarranted sense of anxiety that pervades a forumite who is approaching their 1000th post.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

Can I borrow your 'Meaning of Liff' please - I lost mine in the divorce and haven't read it for about ooh, 15 years... If I promise not to turn it into a LUDLOW or get it covered in GOOSENARGS?
Aye you're welcome - can't remember which version I have right now, but I can post it if you wish :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I'll have a look in my local secondhand book store first - save you the worry. Thanks though, hen :D
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Re new words coined in threads passim, here is an asbolute played by an enocunt:

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:I'll have a look in my local secondhand book store first - save you the worry. Thanks though, hen :D
you can check out http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html in the meantime.

I don't like full stops, period
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ah, ta for taking the trouble, Marc. In return I point you to definition 7 in this - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=marc

(N.B. The 'Susan' one is.....gulp...interesting!!)
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:Ah, ta for taking the trouble, Marc. In return I point you to definition 7 in this - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=marc

Thanks for that. Some of the descriptions are uncanny particularly the blonde hair and blue eyed bit (and short).
I presume you would rather be a Sue, than a Susan.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Re new words coined in threads passim, here is an asbolute played by an enocunt
A-lol. :D
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Ah, ta for taking the trouble, Marc. In return I point you to definition 7 in this - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=marc

Thanks for that. Some of the descriptions are uncanny particularly the blonde hair and blue eyed bit (and short).
I presume you would rather be a Sue, than a Susan.
No...definition 6 for 'Sue' isn't very nice!
Fool's top.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, the word "massa" (short for "massive twat") has caught on among some people I know. Use it. It works. E.g. "What a complete massa!"
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:By the way, the word "massa" (short for "massive twat") has caught on among some people I know. Use it. It works. E.g. "What a complete massa!"
Hugs. I'm sorry that you had to hear that Gevin.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Jo Brand comes up with interesting words every time she is in dictionary corner, PUSSIEROT stuck in my mind the most
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Barnard wrote:Jo Brand comes up with interesting words every time she is in dictionary corner, PUSSIEROT stuck in my mind the most
Most of hers are rubbish. I think she's a bit of a grob.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

David Barnard wrote:Jo Brand comes up with interesting words every time she is in dictionary corner, PUSSIEROT stuck in my mind the most
I was in the audience for that one, unbelievable stuff. I was so expecting that to be edited out :!:

And according to the show's Twitter feed, she's gonna be making a reappearance on the show before the series is over...............