Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by David O'Donnell »

Welcome to all, I seem to have missed quite a few new recruits!

Tony, the answer to your question is that people tend to be c**ts.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Welcome, Tony!

If I remember correctly, you very narrowly lost Des Lynam's last series to Richard Brittain, didn't you?

Again, welcome to the forum!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:Welcome, Tony!

If I remember correctly, you very narrowly lost Des Lynam's last series to Richard Brittain, didn't you?

Again, welcome to the forum!
You always seem to remember correctly, Jason. Incredible. I'd just use the Corral for stats like that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, but then again, how could I forget an episode when a guy like Des Lynam leaves?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum today.
I joined the Yahoo Countdown forum about 2 years ago, posted frequently(ish) for a while, but tailed off.
I popped back onto it a while ago, and found that most of you had decamped to here!
Congratulations to whoever designed this site - it seems to be very clearly laid out. :D

I'm an avid Countdown fan, but haven't been on the programme.
I failed a couple of auditions a few years ago, but haven't tried again since, although I'm sure that I've improved.
Not sure if I'll try again - family life being too busy ATM!

Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Julie!

Welcome to the forum!

May I ask what got you so interested in Countdown?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Welcome Julie - I'm sure you'll enjoy being on this site.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks for the welcome, Jason and Debbi! :)

To answer your question, Jason, I started watching Countdown in the early 1990s IIRC. It was a useful way to have a bit of 'me time' and keep my brain active when my eldest 3 children were young - I now have 5 :) .
I was soon hooked, and now never miss an episode, although occasionally through the recaps on the Yahoo forum if my recording and/or 'catch-up' TV fails.
I think that Countdown has a good mix of challenging rounds and light-hearted banter. It isn't really like any other quiz show that I can think of, which tend to either be mostly about prizes or celebrity chatting.
I seem to become more obsessive as each year passes. ;)
A few years ago I started writing down my answers on scraps of paper, then later I started recording my scores as though I was playing against each contestant individually. Later I bought the actual OED they use on the show, so that I know definitely whether a word I've declared is allowable. I now play each game in notebooks which I keep, and have recently started tallying how many I win against both contestants, how many I win against one of them, and how many I lose against both. Not many of the latter, I'm pleased to write. :D

I suppose that's probably a rather longer answer than you were expecting! :lol:

Best wishes,

Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Julie, how old were you when you started watching Countdown?

I have never seen an episode of Countdown live, as I am from Seattle and watch episodes through a torrent site called UK Nova. I can tell you, though, that Richard Whiteley is my favorite host and I still do appreciate his warmth and kindness.

One of the things I like about Countdown is that it has remained the same old game, even though Des Lynam and Des O'Connor have also been hosts.

I know Countdown will go through a big change next year, but I think Countdown will remain the same old game, and I will continue to watch!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:Julie, how old were you when you started watching Countdown?
Don't do it Julie - he's just trying to ascertain (craniates/sectarian) your age!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kirk, if she would have told me exactly what year she started watching Countdown, I wouldn't have asked that question.

I was trying to round her age, not predict it exactly.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hee Hee!
To sort of answer that: I was much older than you seem to be, judging by your pic, and positively ancient now! :lol:
However, still nowhere near the target audience, judging by the quality of the banter on Countdown, and the adverts in the commercial breaks for stairlifts and walk-in showers.
I agree with you that Richard Whiteley was a brilliant presenter, and also think that Countdown should carry on, even if it can't be with Richard and Carol any more.
Life goes on.

Julie
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for letting me know, Julie!

Now, Kirk, do you understand and believe what I thought about her?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:Thank you for letting me know, Julie!

Now, Kirk, do you understand and believe what I thought about her?
Don't worry Jason - I was winding you up.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Did you mean to do that, Kirk?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I was joking, Jason. Sorry for any offence caused - none was meant obviously.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for letting me know, Kirk!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Don't let them reel you in Jason! You're OK :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Julie!
Francisco Segura

Post by Francisco Segura »

Hello everybody from Spain. I am Francisco Segura Morales, a contestant from countdown spanish version. I have been playing on chat rooms since 2003, and I have been watching french and spanish tv shows during this time too. I was fired from my job because of my participation on tv game show. I have win 101 times and I must come back to play with new contestants next season. Here is a short video from my last match on tv:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=njFb6q-fcJo

Greetings.
SCRAULER
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Francisco Segura wrote:Hello everybody from Spain. I am Francisco Segura Morales, a contestant from countdown spanish version. I have been playing on chat rooms since 2003, and I have been watching french and spanish tv shows during this time too. I was fired from my job because of my participation on tv game show. I have win 101 times and I must come back to play with new contestants next season. Here is a short video from my last match on tv:

Greetings.
I've just watched a few of your shows - shame I don't know Spanish but you're kicking ass all the time. That numbers solution I thought was better than most would come out with on the British show!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

On your 100th win when they all clapped you you looked exhausted and looked like you wanted to lose just so you could stop coming back! 60,000 euros richer though - wow. That's one (easy) way to make money!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Bienvenido Francisco! 101 wins? Thats impressive! I'm heading to Spain on holiday this September, and will be sure to watch a few shows of Cifras Y Letras.

Dinos
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Francisco Segura wrote:Hello everybody from Spain. I am Francisco Segura Morales, a contestant from countdown spanish version. I have been playing on chat rooms since 2003, and I have been watching french and spanish tv shows during this time too. I was fired from my job because of my participation on tv game show. I have win 101 times and I must come back to play with new contestants next season. Here is a short video from my last match on tv:

Greetings.
I've just watched a few of your shows - shame I don't know Spanish but you're kicking ass all the time. That numbers solution I thought was better than most would come out with on the British show!
Very impressive indeed. I only wish I could remember Spanish so I could translate :lol:

I'm actually surprised that there is no limit to how many games you can win, since in the UK, you can only win 8 games max.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Francisco!

Welcome!

You must play until you lose on Countdown. Jeopardy in the US is the same way.

It is an honor to have you here! You are welcome back here anytime and we would never mind if you posted here anytime!
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Hi

I'm new into the forum which I've only found since my wife was a contestant on the show (Debbif on this forum) this summer. I've seen a few interesting topics and I'm looking forward to joining in.
Paul
Proud husband of Debbi (contestant in September)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

The Spanish Wikipedia does a good job of this, apparently the old record on the previous station was 66 wins from 67 games by Carlos Adán Bonilla, which has now been beaten by Francisco.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Interesting that, in the case of a draw, they seem to allocate the points on the basis of whose round it is. For example, if it was my round and I got a 7 and so did my opponent, only I would get the points. Maybe Francisco could confirm if that is correct. I suppose it makes you more willing to declare risky words if you are certain your opponent will at least equal your second best word.

Francisco,is it possible to watch Cifras Y Letras online?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Paul!

Welcome to the forum!

I already wished your wife good luck on her upcoming episode of Countdown. I hope she does well.

It's nice to have you here!
Francisco Segura

Karen Pearson wrote:Interesting that, in the case of a draw, they seem to allocate the points on the basis of whose round it is. For example, if it was my round and I got a 7 and so did my opponent, only I would get the points. Maybe Francisco could confirm if that is correct. I suppose it makes you more willing to declare risky words if you are certain your opponent will at least equal your second best word.

Francisco,is it possible to watch Cifras Y Letras online?
You are correct with the rule. If I play like champion, I only get points with ties if the round number is 2,4,6,8,10 or 12. So you must be a lucky man to defeat high level opponents.

There are 3 versions of Cifras y letras on spanish tv channels, you can watch on internet only one of them (telemadrid), the others two (canal sur 2 and tvg) don't have online site. I have uploaded a lot of videos on youtube that you can find if you search by "francisco cifras y letras".

I am very glad wih all the replies, thanks a lot to everybody.
SCRAULER
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Francisco Segura wrote:There are 3 versions of Cifras y letras on spanish tv channels, you can watch on internet only one of them (telemadrid),
I'm probably being very stupid but I can't work out how to watch actual programmes on their site. Do you have a link Francisco? Many thanks.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul F wrote:Hi

I'm new into the forum which I've only found since my wife was a contestant on the show (Debbif on this forum) this summer. I've seen a few interesting topics and I'm looking forward to joining in.
Welcome to the forum Paul :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

Greetings.
It was nice I took the more sedate route of dividing 100 by 2 and multiplying by 5 (then you had a 10 and 8 left over to make the necessary 2).
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah you can do unnecessarily complicated things. When I play against Christine at home I often go over 1000 to solve the numbers. Really it's just the order of the operations for example (50/10)* 75 = 375 becomes 75 * 50 = 3750, 3750 / 10 = 375. The only time it's really useful is when you get an odd target with all even numbers, i.e. 666 / 2 = 333

Martin.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

A very warm welcome to both Francisco and Paul! 8-)

I'm a Newbie too, having only joined this month, but they're a very friendly lot here. :)

Sorry if I seem nit-picking, Jason, but:
Jason Larsen wrote:
You must play until you lose on Countdown.
I'm sure you know really, but slipped up. On Countdown, if you become an 'Octochamp', i.e. win 8 games,
then you bow out till the series finals. ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

It does make me think, I remember when players like Chris Wills and Julian Fell were on that they could certainly have approached the 50 mark has they not been stopped. Also, how good is the standard on Cifras y Letras? One player offered a six when there was a nine, for example (even I had a seven). On Countdown we quite often get players that only get one or two maximums in a game, so if someone got 14 maximums out of 15 they could win by 100 points.

Martin
Francisco Segura

Karen Pearson wrote:
Francisco Segura wrote:There are 3 versions of Cifras y letras on spanish tv channels, you can watch on internet only one of them (telemadrid),
I'm probably being very stupid but I can't work out how to watch actual programmes on their site. Do you have a link Francisco? Many thanks.
Of course, here is the web page with all the versions and its links: (Times are GMT+1)

http://juego-cifrasyletras.blogspot.com ... curso.html
SCRAULER
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Francisco Segura wrote: Of course, here is the web page with all the versions and its links: (Times are GMT+1)

http://juego-cifrasyletras.blogspot.com ... curso.html
Thanks Francisco.
Francisco Segura

Martin Gardner wrote:It does make me think, I remember when players like Chris Wills and Julian Fell were on that they could certainly have approached the 50 mark has they not been stopped. Also, how good is the standard on Cifras y Letras? One player offered a six when there was a nine, for example (even I had a seven). On Countdown we quite often get players that only get one or two maximums in a game, so if someone got 14 maximums out of 15 they could win by 100 points.

Martin
On Cifras y Letras there are only 8 letters rounds and 4 numbers rounds. If you find a 9 letters word you get 18 points instead 9. Reach the target on numbers worths 9 points and 6 points for aproximations. With this rules my maximum playing on tv was 90 points 2 times. You can see how good are other champions on this site:

High scores:
http://juego-cifrasyletras.blogspot.com ... iones.html

Champions statistics:
http://juego-cifrasyletras.blogspot.com ... 0campeones

Sorry for the spanish text on the web pages.
SCRAULER
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're welcome, Francisco!

By the way, Julie, I meant to say you must play until you lose on the Spanish version of Countdown.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:
Sorry if I seem nit-picking, Jason, but:
Jason Larsen wrote:
You must play until you lose on Countdown.
I'm sure you know really, but slipped up. On Countdown, if you become an 'Octochamp', i.e. win 8 games,
then you bow out till the series finals. ;)
Jason Larsen wrote:
By the way, Julie, I meant to say you must play until you lose on the Spanish version of Countdown.

Sorry, Jason - bit of a misunderstanding there! :?
I thought it was an odd mistake to make. ;)
Helen A

Post by Helen A »

Hi: I'm a newbie here and was wondering if you can post a link to video clips in your photobox accounts? I have a video of my little boy when he was 17 months pointing to the letters on the screen during Countdown when I call them out (he's 20months now)! Have sent it to C4 but didnt get a reply!

Guess I must have woatched too much Countdown when I was pregnant with my son! He stops whatever he is doing when the opening music comes on and comes over to the Tv and dances!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Hi Helen and welcome to the forum. Your little boy sounds like a born Countdowner! Maybe we'll see him on the show when he's older and he'll spot the word BOOGEYING!

Dinos
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Julie, that is not a problem with Spanish Countdown rules, and hello, Helen, welcome to the forum!

I wonder what your son is going to say when he gets older and he still watches Countdown. I bet he'll wonder who our then-former host (Des O'Connor) was. When we remember his legacy over and over again, I'm sure he will appreciate him more.

I'm glad to see you here, and I hope to see you here again soon!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Helen A wrote:Hi: I'm a newbie here and was wondering if you can post a link to video clips in your photobox accounts? I have a video of my little boy when he was 17 months pointing to the letters on the screen during Countdown when I call them out (he's 20months now)! Have sent it to C4 but didnt get a reply!
Yes, feel free to post links here.
Helen A

Post by Helen A »

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's the video of Rhys, aged 17 months recognising his letters!
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q245 ... V01947.flv

He's now progressed to saying some of the letters when I point at them: well, saying S, M, N and E and the phonetic sound for Y anyway! Excuse the bad cameramanship (is that a word?!) as I move the camera to get to the tv screen!
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q245 ... V02392.flv
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Helen, that seems like a delightful little guy you've got there!

I have one question. How do you pronounce his name, and what nationality is it?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry, Helen!

I just watched the video of your son, and his name is pronounced Reese, just like peanut butter cups!

Are you Irish by any chance?
Helen A

Post by Helen A »

Jason, yeh his name is pronounced Reese and the speeling of it, Rhys, is Welsh.

But you noticed the accent alright! We're abt 12 miles from Belfast in Northern Ireland!

The child gets Countdown every day almost when it's on: I usu watch it on my days off as he likes it so much and my parents and my inlaws who share childminding duties when I'm at work, also are massive fans!

Think I was 8 or 9 when C4 started and I remember when they called the machine that generates the random numbers for the number game, Cecil!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You must have one happy family, Helen!

Again, glad to have you here!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hi, Helen,
Welcome to the Countdown forum! :)
I'm a Newbie this month too.

What a lovely little boy Rhys is! :D
Some of my children (I have 5) liked pointing out the letters on Countdown when they were younger, but none have wanted to play it when older, although I live in hope. ;)
My eldest loves languages, belongs to constructed language and translation forums, and even created his own language, but finds Countdown boring. :geek: :lol:

Hope you enjoy the forum,

Julie
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Is that ever ironic?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julie T wrote:Hi, Helen,
Welcome to the Countdown forum! :)
I'm a Newbie this month too.

What a lovely little boy Rhys is! :D
Some of my children (I have 5) liked pointing out the letters on Countdown when they were younger, but none have wanted to play it when older, although I live in hope. ;)
My eldest loves languages, belongs to constructed language and translation forums, and even created his own language, but finds Countdown boring. :geek: :lol:

Hope you enjoy the forum,

Julie
Probably because it's in English.

I always wonder why people have created "contructed languages" when there's already several hundred in the world anyway. I mean does anyone speak Esperanto as a first language?

Martin
Helen James

Post by Helen James »

Hello Everyone, my name is Helen and I haven't yet plucked up the courage to go on Coundown, although my hubby says I should. Have been watching on and off since 1984 when I was at home awaiting the birth of my daughter. She now lives in Leeds so I have no excuse. I was in the audience on Wednesday, 3rd September when I heard about this website as Charlie Reams was introduced on the show. Well, all can say is, what kind of cheese do you eat Charlie? It must be good stuff. Look forward to seeing the show on October 14th.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Helen James wrote:Hello Everyone, my name is Helen and I haven't yet plucked up the courage to go on Coundown, although my hubby says I should. Have been watching on and off since 1984 when I was at home awaiting the birth of my daughter. She now lives in Leeds so I have no excuse. I was in the audience on Wednesday, 3rd September when I heard about this website as Charlie Reams was introduced on the show. Well, all can say is, what kind of cheese do you eat Charlie? It must be good stuff. Look forward to seeing the show on October 14th.
Welcome to the forum.

If unsure about whether to go on Countdown or not, there are events online and in person that are held throughout the year that you might be interested in participating in.

There is an online event being organised by Martin Gardner: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=750.
There is also an in-person event being organised by Ben Wilson: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=767

EDIT: Also one other thing, watch out for Jason Larsen.
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Welcome! Hopefully you're the first of many who are enticed by the shameless plug this place is given. For the record, the show is actually 15 October (because the first episode recorded on the day was a Tuesday, for some reason.)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Welcome Helen. Good to know there's another here who's not been on the show. When Charlie announced to us all last Friday that he was to appear, I feared that our numbers were really dwindling, so it's good to have you to swell the ranks of those of us who haven't yet taken the plunge.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Helen!

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, Countdown has been the same game since you started watching!

Believe it or not, I had an e-mail read by Des (O'Connor, that is) that explained who I am and wished Des and Carol the best. This was before I had an idea that Des would even mention the forum.

Right, you have no excuse but to apply to be on Countdown because your daughter lives in Leeds. Very importantly, I hope Des likes you!

How much fun did you have at your Countdown taping?

It's very nice to see you here, and I hope to see you on the forum a lot more often soon enough!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Welcome Helen! :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'm here under my real name now after a long time of disavowing forums (sorry, fora) in general. Maybe see you all a bit more often as the dark nights draw in!

Ian
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles