What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Euphoria. Not sure what I expected but it is way better than whatever that was.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Watching the Ipcress file.
Very faithful adaptation of the book.
Although the Berlin ambulances did not make that noise until 1968, this is set much earlier 😁
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:34 pm Euphoria. Not sure what I expected
A mild rush of endorphines?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm Watching the Ipcress file.
Not watched it yet, but if the lead character is called Harry Palmer that's one major difference from the book.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Williams wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:20 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm Watching the Ipcress file.
Not watched it yet, but if the lead character is called Harry Palmer that's one major difference from the book.
Good point though as I remember it he was nameless
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Cobra.

Amazing cast, very interesting premise(s). Sometimes shoddy execution, often trying to introduce several new plot points per episode, even towards the end of the series, leading to a fairly flat finale that leaves many issues unresolved. Overall I still enjoyed it though and will watch future series.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Although I would never buy Apple products, their output on Apple TV is definitely quality over quantity.
The latest offering that's brilliant is Severance a comedy Sci - fi drama that's directed by Ben Stiller.
Impressive cast including Adam Scott John Turturro and the irrepressible Christopher Walken
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

The latest season of Inside No9 has been a bit meh, but this weeks episode, The 9 lives of Kat was very good
Clever, funny and a decent twist
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Oh wow there's a new series of Inside No9? I had no idea, must watch that.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:20 am Oh wow there's a new series of Inside No9? I had no idea, must watch that.
I think we have had 3 so far on Iplayer
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Tried to watch Fleabag for the first time. Too much talking to the camera for me and barely raised a chuckle. Might give it a second chance but first impressions were not good.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Inside no 9 series 7 episode 5.
Packs more cleverness in a half hour Sci fi than many a 2 hour movie in fact it was a shame that it is only half hour.
Hopefully when the scripts are remade on FreeVee for an American audience the budgets and length will be bigger and longer in the same way Netflix improved Black Mirror
Definitely in the top 5 of Inside no. 9 episodes
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm Inside no 9 series 7 episode 5.
Packs more cleverness in a half hour Sci fi than many a 2 hour movie in fact it was a shame that it is only half hour.
Hopefully when the scripts are remade on FreeVee for an American audience the budgets and length will be bigger and longer in the same way Netflix improved Black Mirror
I don't think it was clever. At the end it just got silly. But maybe I'm wrong - can you explain what was clever about it?

And I think I've said this before, but I think the half-hour format works well for Inside No. 9. Longer isn't automatically better.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm Inside no 9 series 7 episode 5.
I don't think it was clever. At the end it just got silly. But maybe I'm wrong - can you explain what was clever about it?

And I think I've said this before, but I think the half-hour format works well for Inside No. 9. Longer isn't automatically better.
Spoilers be below

It was clever because you was meant to think that the old man was some kind of pervert but he was an older version of the boy who went on to invent a time machine but came back to tell him not to take the path to invent a time machine but find a cure for cancer, which he did.
But the last 5 minutes packed so much in that it needed a rewatch to fully understand it.
It was a clever episode as opposed to a funny one
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I mean I didn't think it was really that coherent. Like it was trying to be clever but missing the mark. I did rewatch some bits of it but might go back again.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:02 pm Yeah, I mean I didn't think it was really that coherent. Like it was trying to be clever but missing the mark. I did rewatch some bits of it but might go back again.
If you are a podcast kinda person there is an inside Inside No. 9 podcast on BBC Sounds that gives you an insight on what the writers wanted to achieve.
Its worth a listen ( 30 minutes)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:57 pm The Outlaws (Stephen Merchant etc.) on the BBC is quite good. I've seen the first couple of episodes and it combines stupid comedy with gangland drama quite well.
Watched the second series of this. Would recommend.
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:57 pm The Outlaws (Stephen Merchant etc.) on the BBC is quite good. I've seen the first couple of episodes and it combines stupid comedy with gangland drama quite well.
Watched the second series of this. Would recommend.
I've been saving this up for after I've finished The Lazarus Project
Paul Worsley
Acolyte

Post by Paul Worsley »

Watched S1.E1 of Das Boot on Sky Atlantic (where else?), and really enjoyed it. Went to watch the next episode and it skipped to E4! Seasons 2 and 3 are available, but only 4 episodes from Season 1.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:56 am The latest season of Inside No9 has been a bit meh, but this weeks episode, The 9 lives of Kat was very good
By the way I thought the "Wicker Man" episode could have been better. I'll change the colour because of spoilers:

It just seemed to play out exactly as you would expect at the end in a copy (or homage if you're being generous) of the Wicker Man. I think it would have been better if it looked like it was about to end but then the geezer with his arms glued to the chair shouts something like "No, I'm not having this!" He then tears his arms away from the chair, and with blood runnning down him, picks up the chair and hits the Pemberton guy over the head with it, knocking him out. While holding the chair threateningly, he then shouts to the children "I'll kill all of you! Don't think I won't!" before throwing the chair down, looking around, and running off. I would have enjoyed that. It would have been the best episode ever in fact.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

This colour is even better for hiding spoilers...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:30 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:56 am The latest season of Inside No9 has been a bit meh, but this weeks episode, The 9 lives of Kat was very good
By the way I thought the "Wicker Man" episode could have been better. I'll change the colour because of spoilers:

It just seemed to play out exactly as you would expect at the end in a copy (or homage if you're being generous) of the Wicker Man. I think it would have been better if it looked like it was about to end but then the geezer with his arms glued to the chair shouts something like "No, I'm not having this!" He then tears his arms away from the chair, and with blood runnning down him, picks up the chair and hits the Pemberton guy over the head with it, knocking him out. While holding the chair threateningly, he then shouts to the children "I'll kill all of you! Don't think I won't!" before throwing the chair down, looking around, and running off. I would have enjoyed that. It would have been the best episode ever in fact.
I agree it wasn't a twist ending like most, but significantly not all, episodes have.
I guess when you are making a programme with children, there is a limit to har far you can go
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 am This colour is even better for hiding spoilers...
Until I saw it I thought you was making a statement about not watching TV
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 am
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 am This colour is even better for hiding spoilers...
Until I saw it I thought you was making a statement about not watching TV
Yeah, it's pretty cool!

As regards telly... Stranger Things, like the rest of the civilised world.
Top show!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bill Burr Live at Red Rocks.
Still one of the funniest stand-ups working today.
Tackling, woke culture, the Pandemic, Me too and BLM.
His angry rants are sometimes hysterical but he still has a way of breaking your heart too.
Out on Netflix
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I watched The Undeclared War recently. Thought it was entertaining enough but was too unrealistic in places for one to be able to suspend disbelief. And generally I thought the story could have been better.

Avoidance - sitcom with Romesh Ranganathan. OK, but won't be remembered in a few years' time as a classic or anything though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:12 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:30 pm

I agree it wasn't a twist ending like most, but significantly not all, episodes have.
I guess when you are making a programme with children, there is a limit to har far you can go
You can easily make it so that the children aren't actually present for the sweary rant if you want to. This sort of thing isn't remotely hard.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The final Neighbours and then I watched the very first episode on YouTube. You can basically work out everything that happened in between by joining the dots. All pretty obvious.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I've now watched seven episodes of inside number nine thanks to a friend putting them on whenever I was around. Thought based on the title that it would be a political thing like the crown, I guess I assumed 9 downing street was a relevant building. Anyway some were better than others as is always the case with this kind of show
cheers maus
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thomas Carey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:41 pm I've now watched seven episodes of inside number nine thanks to a friend putting them on whenever I was around. Thought based on the title that it would be a political thing like the crown, I guess I assumed 9 downing street was a relevant building. Anyway some were better than others as is always the case with this kind of show
Best episode was The 12 days of Christine season 2 episode 4 I think