Recently

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Recently

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I thought it was time to bite the bullet and lift my depression.

I know several series of Countdown have passed since I last spoke up in the Countdown community.

First, congratulations to Paul James on winning the last Countdown series (Paul, check your e-mail also by the way)

I would also like to say hello to all the new members who have joined here in my absence. It's nice to meet all you new people!

Now, I don't really care about Countdown's format change, but I have noticed something else.

Lara has left Countdown, I think, because she has had a baby for a while. However, I haven't seen Kate or Sarah's name in the credits for a while now. Did Kate get too busy with her newer baby? If I had the courage to make that fateful international phone call and I dialed extension 8433, who would I get? In other words, is Sarah still there?

To refresh all of your memories, I use Expat Shield to watch Countdown now. I know it is very late in Series 68. I will make every effort to keep my depression lifted and watch Series 69 of Countdown in, not too long, I don't think.

Good to see everybody! I hope you're all well!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Recently

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's so good to see you Big Jase.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Any answers to my questions?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

From what I understand, a lot of the staff left before the Champion of Champions tourney (involuntarily, I think).

Glad to a) see you back, b) hear that your depression is lifting, and c) hear you'll be watching my series!
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Hi Jason! Kate and Sarah are no longer with Countdown, unfortunately.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I have let it be known that I am very disappointed that both Kate and Sarah have left Countdown. This makes me think of a few questions though.

The executive producer of Countdown is a guy by the name of Peter.

My first question is, if they've got Peter, why is Damian still there? I'm sure Peter can do Damian's job.

Also, since the position of Associate Producer has quite possibly been eliminated, who briefs the contestants now? Somebody has to do it. I'm sure Jen would know because she will be on the show later this year. One of you should let me know that, because I want to hear that this person, whoever they are, is competent enough. I know it can't be Moody Damian or Peter. I just want to make sure that Jen will be eased in to her Countdown contestant experience.

Now, thank goodness it costs money to dial internationally because if I were to call anyone at the Countdown office, I would be in tears. I love Kate and Sarah so I just want to know their departure was an economy or budget issue. If it wasn't, my sadness will turn to anger, faster than any of you can say you miss Kate or Sarah. This is why I am avoiding calling them on the phone. Change is hard for me to deal with. I know the rest of you would rather see me happy than angry or sad, so I hope at least one of you can make me feel better. I hope there is no one to blame for all this change. It would make no sense for it to be a person's fault.

Simply put, I need some reassurance.

Thank you
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I wish I had the answers. I wish so hard that I had the answers you need.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Come on Jen
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Holly and Sarah (presumably a different Sarah?) brief the contestants nowadays, they are both lovely and the contestants are in good hands, don't worry! :)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

First, welcome back to the forum, Jason.
Jason Larsen wrote:I have let it be known that I am very disappointed that both Kate and Sarah have left Countdown. This makes me think of a few questions though.

The executive producer of Countdown is a guy by the name of Peter.

My first question is, if they've got Peter, why is Damian still there? I'm sure Peter can do Damian's job.
Bit harsh on Damian.
Jason Larsen wrote:Also, since the position of Associate Producer has quite possibly been eliminated, who briefs the contestants now? Somebody has to do it. I'm sure Jen would know because she will be on the show later this year. One of you should let me know that, because I want to hear that this person, whoever they are, is competent enough. I know it can't be Moody Damian or Peter. I just want to make sure that Jen will be eased in to her Countdown contestant experience.
The contestants are now looked after by Holly and New Sarah, and possibly some other people too. I say "New" Sarah, she was actually working on Countdown when I was on 18 months ago, but I think she had a different role then. And Andy's right, they're definitely competent enough. Upcoming contestants have nothing to worry about. They're very nice people, just like Kate, Lara and the other Sarah. Also, I'm pleased to say that Cindy Ritson, who worked on the show when it first started in 1982 (yes, really), is still there.
Jason Larsen wrote:I love Kate and Sarah so I just want to know their departure was an economy or budget issue. If it wasn't, my sadness will turn to anger, faster than any of you can say you miss Kate or Sarah.
I believe Kate and Lara's departures were indeed a regrettable result of budgetary pressures on the show. I think Sarah (Foulkes) had left Countdown prior to that, but she still works for ITV. I've definitely seen her name on the credits of University Challenge.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Graeme, I didn't mean to be harsh on Damian when I said I know Damian and Peter are both there now. I should have asked, what is the difference between their two jobs? I would really like to know because I want to understand them better.

So, who knew? the other (person's) name is Sarah also. Thank god I haven't called the offices, because if I had, I would have mistaken her for the other Sarah and would have talked to her like she recognized my name. I have spoken with her on the phone once before. She's no better than the other Sarah.

So, they've got only two other people close to the Associate Producer position instead of three. Are the other staff learning more and more about how to brief the contestants as a result of cost cutting?

I know, it's all about convenience for many things in this day and age. If that means they had to bring on Holly and the other Sarah, then I'll just have to accept that.

The good news is, I can put the old April Fool's joke that I pulled on the old Associate Producers behind me!

Woo woo woo all the way around!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I for one would love to hear what this April Fools' joke was!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Andy, I don't remember when it was after so long, but one year when Jeff Stelling was still on with Rachel Riley, I had posted a thread here stating that Jeff had retired and Rachel had quit due to family problems. I said that Jeff and Rachel would be replaced the following day by Michael Barrymore and Victoria Beckham.

I never heard from the old Associate Producers since.

So much for Kate saying she has thick skin!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Haha - awesome.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That's why I thought it was too bad.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think you should wait until April and try it again Jason!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why would Kate tell me she has thick skin and then turn on me?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jason Larsen wrote:Graeme, I didn't mean to be harsh on Damian when I said I know Damian and Peter are both there now. I should have asked, what is the difference between their two jobs? I would really like to know because I want to understand them better.
Source

Damian is the series producer, which means he's in charge of all the show's content. The production staff report to him. During the recording, he sits in the gallery and has the final decision on all matters regarding play. Any decision the people in the studio can't or don't want to make - a dodgy mass noun plural, or a contestant taking too long to give their numbers solution, for example - will probably come from or go through him. So you can't have just anybody in this role, it needs to be someone who knows everything about how the programme works, all the rules, and how they're applied. When not in the studio, Damian devises all the teasers and the conundrums; fields emails from viewers and contestants asking things like "would you allow SULFATE" and "I lost my first game 10 years ago, can I reapply"; decides when and whether to run special mini-series like the CoCs and the 30th Birthday Championship; makes any necessary changes to the show's format and rules, for example recently when Channel 4 required the part lengths to change; and signs off all the finished recordings so Channel 4 know who to point the finger at when the busybodies who have nothing better to do than write in to complain about things like this and this turn on Countdown to complain that the word BOTTOM wasn't bleeped.

I have no idea who Peter is. I'm sure he's important too, though. What I've just learned from Wikipedia is that there are far too many different types of "producer". It appears an "executive" producer is more concerned with the business, management and financial side of things than the day-to-day running of the show. If so, then it's a completely different job from what I understand the series producer does.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Peter is the executive producer of Countdown.

Damian must not be a person to slap in the face at all, Graeme. I'm sorry.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Hi Jason,

I may be wrong about this but If Damian is the person who is in charge of Countdown on a day to day basis, then Peter Gwyn is the person who is, in a way, Damian's boss. Peter employs Damian to produce Countdown and it's then Damian who hires the production team to work on the actual production of the show. Peter will oversee other programmes for ITV Studios - I think he is also the Executive Producer of University Challenge but I am not 100% sure about that - but in terms of the content and production of the programme, Damian is the boss.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That clears things up!

Even though Damian can be moody, he sure hires great people!

Thank you Stewart!

Now, in order for me to do what Matt told me, I will need Holly and Sarah's full names. I'm going to pull a completely different April Fool's joke on them as soon as I think of one.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

But, I will need to get to know Holly and Sarah first before I do.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

You know, even with all the contact I've had with Sarah, both as a contestant and general green room lurker, I still have no idea what her surname is.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I guess I'll see on Monday.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Peter's history From IMDb:

2007-2012 Countdown (TV series) (executive producer - 487 episodes)

University Challenge (TV series) (executive producer - 3 episodes, 2007-2008) (producer - 1 episode, 2006)

2006 University Challenge: The Story So Far (TV documentary) (executive producer: Granada TV)

2005 The Big Call (TV series) (executive producer)

2002 The Vault (TV series) (executive producer - 2004)

2003 University Challenge: The Professionals (TV series) (producer)

2002 Russian Roulette (TV series documentary) (executive producer)

1995 The Street Party (TV movie) (producer)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hello to you Dave, and thank you for the information!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So apparently, I missed Ryan Taylor and Michelle Nevitt's Countdown special.

I wonder if they needed Holly and Sarah's comfort.

I'm sorry, I haven't looked at the Countdown Wiki. I don't want to be spoiled in case I do get my problem fixed.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Has somebody uploaded Ryan and Michelle's special online?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jason Larsen wrote:Has somebody uploaded Ryan and Michelle's special online?
Well, it's on the C4 YouTube page, but I somehow doubt you can see that, so I don't think so, Jason.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Shucky darn it, Expat Shield
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Well, I just dialed extension 8433 at the Countdown office and who did I get? Sarah Foulkes! Surprise surprise!

I want to get another copy of Spreading the Word because I lost the one that Lara gave me. Who can I contact to get one?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Did you have a nice chat with Sarah? Was she happy to hear from you?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, I got her voice mail message and she's gone anyway.

Somebody please tell me, who do I contact other than Damian?