Spoilers for Thursday February 23rd 2012 (Series 66 Game 34)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday February 23rd 2012 (Series 66 Game 34)

Post by Jordan F »

Peter Lee has represented apterous well so far with three strong wins, averaging just under 95 points per game. Can he get the 4th win today? Today's competition is brought to you by this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD7VIKZnGA For it IS Suddenly Seymour today. Suddenly Niall Seymour, another veteran of apterous who's getting his shot. Who will prevail in this battle of the apterites? Ann Widdecombe (Mr. Hare is smiling at my spelling), is still here and you know what, today I'll leave the debate over her to you all.

There's no debate about this though, join James for the recap later.
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Re: Spoilers for Thursday February 23rd 2012 (Series 66 Game

Post by Niall Seymour »

I have it on good authority that The Alan Titchmarsh show is an absolute belter today!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I've been trying to think all week who Peter Lee reminds me of. Something in the facial expression (or lack of it) when he speaks. It's just come to me - Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jordan F wrote:Today's competition is brought to you by this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD7VIKZnGA
Heh heh, thanks for an excuse to watch that again. :D That rare thing - a film version of a stage musical that's almost as good as the original.
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

ISOCLINE for 8 in round 13?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Unlucky there Niall, pulled it back well only to have it taken away.
Congrats Peter on another win and another lightning fast conundrum. BRESAOLA was just excellent. I completely missed it even though half of my degree is Italian and I lived there for 5 months :roll:

No beaters from me just alternatives, RAGSTONE et al in R1, HARPIES in 3, TENUTOS in 6, MISDATE in 7, (6+2)*100-(25+50-9) in round 10
ISOCLINE for 8 in round 13

lovely
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Ann Widdicomb's "anecdote" today consisted of her saying once she was speaking outside to some guides. It was windy so she lost her speech. The guide mistress told her students to go and pick up Ms Widdicomb's "rubbish".

Has to be the worst anecdote I've ever heard on countdown. That woman is a disgrace.

Great game btw.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Congrats on another win Peter - this time it got a bit close. Very quick on the conundrum for an old un.

Hard lines in getting pipped at the end Niall. Liked the subtle reference to Peter's experience. However, what the f*** were you doing asking for a whisky? "That didn't work" has got to be the understatement of the year.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

John Garcia wrote:Ann Widdicomb's "anecdote" today consisted of her saying once she was speaking outside to some guides. It was windy so she lost her speech. The guide mistress told her students to go and pick up Ms Widdicomb's "rubbish".

Has to be the worst anecdote I've ever heard on countdown. That woman is a disgrace.
You actually listened to the whole thing? I've not watched countdown in a while but I stuck it on today and ended up having to turn it off again. The woman is poison. And I see she got her own quiz show on Sky Atlantic. Who's idea was that. Do they not want people to watch it?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Mark James wrote: You actually listened to the whole thing? I've not watched countdown in a while but I stuck it on today and ended up having to turn it off again. The woman is poison. And I see she got her own quiz show on Sky Atlantic. Who's idea was that. Do they not want people to watch it?
People will still watch it, even though she's appallingly bad at presenting. It's one of those elitist shows (like Battle of the Brains was) with all the noted quiz names in it so you'll still get those who watch most quiz shows watching it. But yeah, fuck knows why she got the gig.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

During the ads managed to get to 985 on the first numbers and the computer gets to 981 so looks like 2 away is the best.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Philip Jarvis wrote:Hard lines in getting pipped at the end Niall..... what the f*** were you doing asking for a whisky? "That didn't work" has got to be the understatement of the year.
Well at least it's a change from "a better one please", an utterance which should lead to immediate disqualification by now. Hope Peter bought you one at the end!

Enjoying your shows Peter, very well played. Great effort Niall; maybe one day you'll get another ago, you certainly deserve it. Apparently it's no longer unheard of....
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Nail biting stuff. Niall certainly put the wind up Peter, but another fast conundrum solve meant Peter victorious again.
Excellent effort, Niall - unlucky to come up against Peter in such great form. Hope you got a shot of whisky after!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Good game, well played to both. Commiserations Niall as you're certainly a capable player and on another day, could easily have strung a few wins together. Well done Peter though for keeping your composure after letting a seemingly comfortable lead slip. The conundrum time was pretty impressive, I was nowhere near it.

GANISTER in round 1 and IMPULSE in round 4.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Another fantastic game today. I do feel for you, Niall. Having to come up against Peter was always going to be a hard game.

Peter, you were excellent too, BRESAOLA was a top find, I was happy getting SOLEBAR in that. :)

2nd Numbers Alt.: (6 x 2 x 50) + 100 + 25 + 9 = 734
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mark James wrote: You actually listened to the whole thing? I've not watched countdown in a while but I stuck it on today and ended up having to turn it off again. The woman is poison. And I see she got her own quiz show on Sky Atlantic. Who's idea was that. Do they not want people to watch it?
People will still watch it, even though she's appallingly bad at presenting. It's one of those elitist shows (like Battle of the Brains was) with all the noted quiz names in it so you'll still get those who watch most quiz shows watching it. But yeah, fuck knows why she got the gig.
Aye Ryan. Total shame. It's definitely the kind of quiz I'd like to watch but I just couldn't. Even if I didn't hate all that she stands for, her voice alone is enough to make me want to peel my skin off and roll in salt.
David Williams wrote:I've been trying to think all week who Peter Lee reminds me of. Something in the facial expression (or lack of it) when he speaks. It's just come to me - Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish.
I said elsewhere on the site that his apterous pic reminds me of Teddy Sherringham but yeah, he has a Dalglish look about him. Also, even though I'm from Dublin and hear it all the time, I love Peter's accent. It probably stands out that much more on an English tv show.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Mark James wrote:I said elsewhere on the site that his apterous pic reminds me of Teddy Sherringham but yeah, he has a Dalglish look about him. Also, even though I'm from Dublin and hear it all the time, I love Peter's accent. It probably stands out that much more on an English tv show.
Talking about Messrs Sheringham, Dalglish and Lee - have you heard the one about the Englishman, the Scotsman and the Irishman? The 1st asked for a pint, the 2nd asked for a scotch, whilst the 3rd obviously left a bottle of Bushmills in the green room to tempt Niall.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Post by Niall Seymour »

Cheers for the nice comments guys.

@Phil no idea what you mean by my 'subtle reference to Peter's experience', but I wholeheartedly agree with you that I undoubtedly learnt the hard way about trying to be funny on Countdown!

Some of you might expect me to be disapointed to lose my first game having played a shitload of apterous, but I really did only apply because I wanted to go on what is undoubtedly my favourite 'public participation' tv show and my only aspiration was not to lose by a cricket score and get a right slagging off from James in the recap ;) . Heck it would've been nice to get the teapot, but Peter is a top player and a lovely guy to boot and in all honesty I would've felt a bit of a fraud to beat someone who had spotted BRESAOLA because of a few scrappy numbers games, I don't think the tv has actually shown how impressed Susie was with that offering.

Overall the whole experience was excellent right from the hotel (although living in a student house I felt about as out of place in a clean bathroom as an Ethopian at an all you can eat buffet); to the back stage team, espcially the two Sarahs, right through to Nick, Rachel, Susie and Ann who stayed to chat and have photos with my housemates for a good 15-20 minutes after the last recording of the day.

Without giving away too much I highly recommend watching tomorrow's show which is another all apterite affair and a high scoring game to boot.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Niall Seymour wrote:Phil no idea what you mean by my 'subtle reference to Peter's experience', but I wholeheartedly agree with you that I undoubtedly learnt the hard way about trying to be funny on Countdown!
Apologies - I thought you said "I think he's been around for a while". You actually said "I think he'll be around for a while".

Being in my 55th year, my hearing is not what it used to be.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
peter lee
Rookie

Post by peter lee »

Tks for the kind coments, and Niall, all I can say is how unlucky you were in that game. I know you went for the conundrum at the same time. Dont fret about the "whiskey", we'll have a few later on.
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Post by Niall Seymour »

Andy Platt wrote:You made True Lad at least

http://www.truelad.com/story.php?id=321 ... qus_thread
That beats a teapot any day of the week!