Have you ever cried at Countdown?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Have you ever cried at Countdown?

Post by Conor »

Come on, own up if you have. We're all very mature, we won't deride you.

Me? Not quite, but I was close to doing so at the end of the Series 52 final, Tournoff vs Gallen. The Series 53 final was quite poignant too.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Have you ever cried at Countdown?

Post by Charlie Reams »

I cried when my dog died (approx. 6 years ago) and at the end of Maus (approx. 2 weeks ago) and not in between, which I think spans the entirety of my Countdown-watching life. But I think I would cry if Susie left.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I nearly cried with relief after I beat Tim Reypert in the series 58 quarters.I was ahead all the way but I was expecting him to come back at me, and some of my mates had turned up to watch so I desperately wanted to win in front of them. When it was all over I went up to them and said "Oh God, this is torture" and they demanded that I calm down. :lol:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

No. I haven't, ever, and it's highly unlikely that I ever will. I am a man. Men don't cry.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:I cried when my dog died (approx. 6 years ago) and at the end of Maus (approx. 2 weeks ago).
Maus <3

And no, I don't think I ever have, and can't really imagine why anyone would, either (well, maybe if someone you knew was playing, but even then...).
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I admit when Graham Nash beat Julian Fell 120 - 109 that was pretty emotional, but I didn't actually cry. Chris Wills was watching from the audience and said 'I'm knackered after that'.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:Maus <3
For some reason I had you in mind as I wrote that sentence. Obviously you're the sort of person I expect to have excellent taste in literature.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I find the concept bizarre.
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Hiyo,

Hmm, Cried at Countdown. Nope, emotion is never allowed to get in the way of competition.

I tracked myself vs TV during most of series 51 and defeated a TV contestant 13 times out of a possible 174. I don't know how my self esteem coped looking back. I guess my expectation of self was not so far from my ability level.

I think it is folly to expect us to constrict ourselves emotionally purely because we are men. Girls tend to be way better at expressing themselves in that respect and I wish my gender were allowed that sort of thing. Hug and cry at will, feel no guilt I say.

I stayed tear free when my shoulder was reset not long ago, but instead growled like an angry bear. Watched the film "The Sullivans" (1944) recently, that got the tears flowing alright. I challenge anyone to stay tear free during that one.

DC
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I have never cried at Countdown. Ever. Even if I miss LEOTARD.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

When Carol Vorderman introduced the first Countdown to be broadcast after Richard's death, I have to admit I shed a tear.

Coincidentally that was five seconds after my wife told me she had backed our new car into a tree :cry:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ah yes, I shed a tear after this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8-6Vi6pFw
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ah yes, I shed a tear after this:

It still brings tears to my eyes. You can feel Carol's love for the old buffer through her tribute. I still miss Richard, and I never met him face to face.

I've never cried during an actual game, though. A lot of you invest a great deal of time and effort in becoming champions of Countdown, so I can understand the emotional rollercoaster that could be. I doubt I'll ever be good enough to take it that seriously.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

DaveC wrote:I think it is folly to expect us to constrict ourselves emotionally purely because we are men. Girls tend to be way better at expressing themselves in that respect and I wish my gender were allowed that sort of thing. Hug and cry at will, feel no guilt I say.
I think that women are biologically more inclined to cry than men. I don't think it's about being better at expressing themselves.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

...wait 'til you lot hear Pam Ayres' poem about her dog at the end of November! It'll have you all weeping - even those claiming to be men!
Sorry, Charlie, is this a spoiler??!! have I been naughty again?
Last edited by Kate Horton on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

oooh yes. So sad! I think I might have even seen Damian wipe a tear from his eye at that one!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

KateHorton wrote:...wait 'til you lot hear Pam Ayres' poem about her dog at the end of November! It'll have you all weeping - even those claiming to be men!
I was unsure whether there would be a November this year and now you've spoiled it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

KateHorton wrote:...wait 'til you lot hear Pam Ayres' poem about her dog at the end of November! It'll have you all weeping - even those claiming to be men!
The knowledge that Pam Ayres is going to be on has got me weeping already.
Michael Simmonds
Rookie

Post by Michael Simmonds »

This is going to sound a bit naff, but yes I cried when my Son Lee lost his 4th show. Because of Carol's illness and the subsequent late recording of programmes, Lee's 4th show was recorded on the same day that his 1st show went out on TV. He rang to say he had lost just as his 1st show was about to start, and seeing him looking so happy at the end, knowing that he had just lost his later show, and how much it had meant to him, had me crying my eyes out. Probably that's a parent thing though, as you always want your children to be happy don't you?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Simmonds wrote:This is going to sound a bit naff, but yes I cried when my Son Lee lost his 4th show. Because of Carol's illness and the subsequent late recording of programmes, Lee's 4th show was recorded on the same day that his 1st show went out on TV. He rang to say he had lost just as his 1st show was about to start, and seeing him looking so happy at the end, knowing that he had just lost his later show, and how much it had meant to him, had me crying my eyes out. Probably that's a parent thing though, as you always want your children to be happy don't you?
This explains a lot.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Michael Simmonds wrote:This is going to sound a bit naff, but yes I cried when my Son Lee lost his 4th show. Because of Carol's illness and the subsequent late recording of programmes, Lee's 4th show was recorded on the same day that his 1st show went out on TV. He rang to say he had lost just as his 1st show was about to start, and seeing him looking so happy at the end, knowing that he had just lost his later show, and how much it had meant to him, had me crying my eyes out. Probably that's a parent thing though, as you always want your children to be happy don't you?
My parents cried when I lost to Conor. No wait, they relentlessly took the piss out of me for losing to a 14 year old. Bastards :x

Back to the topic at hand though, I have never cried at Countdown, although watching Carol's RW tribute has made me feel a bit wistful
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
This explains a lot.
lol
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I cried when I was knocked off the quarter finals leaderboard with a scarce number of games remaining at the end of the last series :cry: . I might shed a tear on Carol's last show too :roll: - but I doubt that will physically happen. Tough as nails me ;)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Yeah almost every episode....
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Probably we will all be crying at the first show with the new hosts...Susie - no pressure, but it's all on your shoulders now.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

I used to weep over the garbage to which Des O'Connor subjects me at the start of each show, but now that he's going, I sit, suffer and smile.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

It sounds as though Pam Ayres is going to be the last DC guest. That's great as I love her and her poems do sometimes bring a tear to my eye. The very last show with Carole and Des is going to be quite a sad event, that's for sure. I keep hoping she'll change her mind, but it doesn't look like it now. There must be someone out there who can take her place, but I can't see that anyone can ever take the place of Richard Whiteley. I really did cry when he died, he was such a great character, especially when Carole spoke so fondly about him. Oh, crumbs, this is supposed to be a game show not a Lassie weepie!
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ah yes, I shed a tear after this:

this still gets me blubbing - i know the 2 Des's have done their best, but to step into Richard's shoes was never going to be easy, such a lot to live up to
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Not quite crying, but does this count? Having just got the conundrum to beat Phil in the S55 semi final, the only time I had been in the lead I was somewhat overcome. After the studio lights went down CV came across and held my hand to check I was all right. After 23 years of wistful thinking I was finally living my dream! :lol:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...