Revival Of The Countdown Masters

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Revival Of The Countdown Masters

Post by James Robinson »

This idea has been in my head really ever since I've been recapping the historical Masters episodes, but I think this idea does have merits.

In case any of you haven't been reading the historical recaps, or have no real interest in the very ancient history of Countdown, let me enlighten you.

Back in 1989, Channel 4 launched their new breakfast show, The Channel 4 Daily. Incorporated into it was a programme called Countdown Masters, which was basically 2 ex-contestants of the show (not necessarily "Masters") playing each other over the weekdays, 3 rounds a day (1 letters, 1 numbers and 1 conundrum) between Monday-Friday, with their scores being totalled up over the week. It lasted just shy of 2 years, with it's second run actually being curtailed by Saddam Hussein's antics in Kuwait in 1991.

Now, with no sign of a Champion of Champions round the corner, and with the Channel 4 breakfast schedule basically full of,....... well, nothing basically, I think it's a good idea to revive it to at least put some quality in the schedules, and with all the good players past and present who I'm sure would be available, it's very hard not to overlook this possibility.

Your thoughts would definitely be most welcome.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Revival Of The Countdown Masters

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:it's very hard not to overlook this possibility.
I'm confused again. Are you and MWM doing this on purpose to bust my nut?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I prefer a C of C and looking at the ratings, then you don't have a hope in a month of Sundays on Pluto in hell.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
You and Ryan teamed up to hurt me, so shall me and James hurt you.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:I prefer a C of C and looking at the ratings, then you don't have a hope in a month of Sundays on Pluto in hell.
Right................... :?

Admittedly, it probably will amount to nothing, but when you consider that they did this back in the late 80's, when they only had a "handful" of players, and compare it to now, where just about everyone who has been on would like another go, and you could even make good pairings for some matches, settle old scores, etc.

I think it should have some consideration, but I'm not the controller of Channel 4, so :roll: .
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

There used to be a TV programme called Pot Black. A tournament where matches were a single frame of snooker, so it was a very small percentage of the total amount of snooker played by the top players, but it got exaggerated prominence because it was shown on TV. For these players, I imagine they welcomed the publicity and the money, but I'm sure that they themselves put greater value on less publicised tournaments, with longer matches. Isn't there a parallel here?

If you want a Countdown Masters, Champion of Champions, World Championship, or whatever, with a format that does justice to the aims and doesn't have to satisfy the wishes of the average C4 viewer, apterous is where it should take place.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:There used to be a TV programme called Pot Black.
For some reason I interpreted this in my head as referring to the TV programme "Big Break" (possibly as I've never heard of "Pot Black") and expected your post to then go on and explain, possibly with humorous comparisons being drawn between the two shows, why a TV programme which was a good idea in the 1980s might not be relevant today, or something. I had a brief moment of confusion when what I expected to be reading didn't tally up at all with what I was reading. It threw me for a while.

As you were.

Edit: In a desperate attempt to make this relevant to anything, has John Virgo been in DC?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
For some reason I interpreted this in my head as referring to the TV programme "Big Break" (possibly as I've never heard of "Pot Black") and expected your post to then go on and explain, possibly with humorous comparisons being drawn between the two shows, why a TV programme which was a good idea in the 1980s might not be relevant today, or something. I had a brief moment of confusion when what I expected to be reading didn't tally up at all with what I was reading. It threw me for a while.

As you were.

Edit: In a desperate attempt to make this relevant to anything, has John Virgo been in DC?
I don't know but Jim Davidson is still a racist.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:Edit: In a desperate attempt to make this relevant to anything, has John Virgo been in DC?
No, I think Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis are the only snooker players ever to be in DC.

Nerdy fact: I actually knew immediately that he hadn't been in because Tim Vine was the first ever guest whose surname began with V, Michael Vaughan became #2 a few weeks ago. :geek: :ugeek:
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

James Robinson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Edit: In a desperate attempt to make this relevant to anything, has John Virgo been in DC?
No, I think Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis are the only snooker players ever to be in DC.
Eh, John Parrot.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mark James wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Eh, John Parrot.
I did say "think", in fairness. And also it's ParroTT. :ugeek:
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Yes, I've looked it up and it's just those 3.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote:
Mark James wrote: Eh, John Parrot.
You missed the awesome birdbrain joke there James.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Mark James wrote: Eh, John Parrot.
You missed the awesome birdbrain joke there James.
He didn't miss it he avoided it.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:

As you were.

Obviously your misinterpretation was much more interesting than what I said. In a desperate attempt to re-join the debate, I will mention (possibly not for the first time) that John Parrott lives just round the corner from me. Anyone else able to claim close proximity to a DC guest?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

David Williams wrote:Anyone else able to claim close proximity to a DC guest?
I have Nanette Newman locked in my attic. Does that count?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if I really don't doubt that they aren't doing it on purpose.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Just noticed on Youtube that someone has uploaded computer simulations of the Masters episodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2C6sS8qwXM

They're quite good.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if I really don't doubt that they aren't doing it on purpose.
I don't think you are sure that they aren't not either.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles