OXO cubes

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

OXO cubes

Post by JimBentley »

So anyway, I don't usually buy OXO cubes, I usually just get a generic or supermarket own brand, but the other day I picked up some chicken ones (they were probably reduced or something). Imagine my surprise and delight to find that they're shaped like little 'X's now:

It's probably about five or six years since I had an OXO cube and they definitely weren't like this then. When did this revolution occur? And more importantly, why was I not informed?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: OXO cubes

Post by Charlie Reams »

This is indeed great news. Perhaps an attempt to differentiate themselves from the identical-tasting competition?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote:It's probably about five or six years since I had an OXO cube and they definitely weren't like this then. When did this revolution occur?
In the interests of evidential analysis, I just peeled open a Lamb Oxo from a packet I found in the kitchen and it was a conventional cuboid. However, closer investigation revealed a 'Best Before' date on the pack of February 2005 so this proves nothing (and I wasted an Oxo in the process). :cry:

I'm now hoping to recoup something from this debacle by shopping Oxo to Knight Frank for breach of trademark.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:This is indeed great news. Perhaps an attempt to differentiate themselves from the identical-tasting competition?
I would imagine so, yes. But why aren't the OXO company telling consumers about this differentiation? Had I known about the X-shaped action I could have been enjoying from this product, I would have bought some long ago.

In fact, in celebration I'm only going to eat food that is X-shaped for one month, or until I die from malnutrition, whichever is sooner. So, OXO cubes, spaghetti letters (only the Xs though, and possibly some misshapen Ms), hot cross buns (but only the cross part, I'll throw the rest away), erm, can't think of any more. Would it be cheating to cut X shapes out of normal food?
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I recommend having a spaghetti hoop before and after for a more complete diet ;)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I have to confess that I have never actually seen an OXO cube that is a cube, only ever seen them as this X shape which says a lot about me really.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

They should have done some with cut corners and little dents in the middle too to make Os.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Suckers :lol: I cynically put this down to them attempting to save money by reducing how much you get without actually changing the packaging size. Coupla years I'd say, with absolutely nothing to back that up other than a "somewhere round there" type feeling.

Nice ideas tho, especially Matt's :D I reckon this should be encouraged for a Sunday Roast Noughts and Crosses game.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

They did this in the last year or two, I remember seeing some marketing. This is pretty remarkable, as I'm usually pretty scrupulous at avoiding such messages.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe this could start a new trend.
Condoms could be packaged in sort of 3 leaf clover shape.(if you get my drift)
Ironically 'The Daily Mail' ought to be similarly packaged.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT