Eurovision 2011

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Eurovision 2011

Post by Mark James »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Mark James wrote:I guess it depends on your definition of what a good song is. For me the last good song to win the eurovision was that Irish entrant Rock and Roll Kids. Every song I've heard since is basically some soppy Mariah Carey inspired ballad or cheesy europop reminiscent of the crap from the nineties. Lordi were just about ok I suppose.
Right, so one possibility is that it's just your taste in music being different to most of the people who vote at Eurovision - what is it that you think determines who wins if the song is irrelevant?
Sometimes I think there's a difference between what you like and what's good. I liked the Lordi song for example but I would never say it was a good song. I didn't particularly like the Rock and Roll Kids song I mentioned but I could recognise it as a good song. Although I hesitate to say that as I don't want to start a discussion about what makes a good song as opposed to just a song you like as I can't really explain that. I'm just a music snob really.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Mark James wrote:Sometimes I think there's a difference between what you like and what's good. I liked the Lordi song for example but I would never say it was a good song. I didn't particularly like the Rock and Roll Kids song I mentioned but I could recognise it as a good song. Although I hesitate to say that as I don't want to start a discussion about what makes a good song as opposed to just a song you like as I can't really explain that. I'm just a music snob really.
Sure, but that's kinda beside the point. I was just interested in what it is you think counts towards who wins the ESC if "the songs are irrelevant".
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Running order for the final.

01 Finland
02 Bosnia and Herzegovina
03 Denmark
04 Lithuania
05 Hungary
06 Ireland
07 Sweden
08 Estonia
09 Greece
10 Russia
11 France
12 Italy
13 Switzerland
14 United Kingdom
15 Moldova
16 Germany
17 Romania
18 Austria
19 Azerbaijan
20 Slovenia
21 Iceland
22 Spain
23 Ukraine
24 Serbia
25 Georgia

Looks bad for Jedward. They're surrounded by Hungary, Sweden and Estonia, all highly fancied and all up tempo numbers with a big stage performance. The Jeds won't stand out as much as they might otherwise. UK have it a bit better. They follow the more muted Swiss entry and then are followed by Moldova's comedy act.

The whole thing looks very top heavy. I'm hoping this plays into the hands of Germany and my beloved Lena. Serbia could also benefit from its penultimate placing.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Yeah, I was going to stick a few squids on a Finland as a cheeky outsider, but them being up first really puts me off. Might stick to Azerbaijan.

I listened to France's entry for the first time just now - how the hell is it favourite?!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Michael Wallace wrote: I was just interested in what it is you think counts towards who wins the ESC if "the songs are irrelevant".
I'll retract the statement so.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Michael Wallace wrote: I listened to France's entry for the first time just now - how the hell is it favourite?!
Michael Wallace wrote:I had a look at the odds once I'd made them and was amazed to see Bosnia as joint favourites.
Might as well address both of these. I think a lot of people see that France is sending opera and automatically think it's a "good song" whether they like it or not. I think it's all right. Not that bothered by it, although it might well be amazing live.

Bosnia is an interesting one. I'm sure loads of people are going to complain about this getting lots of "unfair neighbour votes". It will be nothing to do with politics or diaspora. Dino Merlin is a massive star in the former Yugoslavia; bigger than Blue. He even wrote the Bosnian national anthem! I quite like the song, but I wouldn't pick it as an obvious winner.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Bishop wrote:To me, the last time a good song won was 2010 and before that, 2009.
Honestly, I admire your unashamedness.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:To me, the last time a good song won was 2010 and before that, 2009.
You're such a homophone.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:Yeah, I was going to stick a few squids on a Finland as a cheeky outsider, but them being up first really puts me off.
What are the stats on running orders? Is it simply later=better?
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Yeah, I was going to stick a few squids on a Finland as a cheeky outsider, but them being up first really puts me off.
That's the generally held assumption, although I don't know if there is any solid statistical work to back that up. A favourite Eurovision stat is that no one has ever won from 2nd in the running order. Bad news for Bosnia.

It is a bit more complicated now, because the rules changed last year, allowing viewers to vote at any time during the show, rather than just 15 minutes at the end.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Out and proud.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Bishop wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
That's the generally held assumption, although I don't know if there is any solid statistical work to back that up.
Yeah, I did some work on this and there's pretty strong evidence that going later = better.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The backing singers have more words.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I'm heading to a Eurovision party in a minute, so I'll leave you with my prediction for the final top five.

1. France
2. UK
3. Estonia
4. Azerbaijan
5. Germany

Whereas I would like

1. Germany
2. UK
3. Serbia
4. Estonia
5. Bosnia and Herzegovina
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

We're starting to be like the Williams Formula 1 team.

Every year we're confident, then we do completely crap!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Hmm, I do like France's entry, but I'd be quite surprised if an opera song won it. I can't see Lena's song winning, it's not uptempo enough for the contest. I'm not sure if Jedward will win, but I think they'll do well. I'm tipping Estonia to win it. I think UK can make top 10, if not better.

My Top 5:

Estonia
Ireland
Azerbaijan
France
Sweden
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Great, great night so far, amazing production from Germany. There was very few acts I didn't like (only really Italy and Lithuania). Fingers crossed! :)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Today I got told I look like the guy on the right in the Portugal entry.
True.
That's nothing - check out the Finnish lad!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Eoin, are you getting "You Can't vote for the UK" or "You can't vote for Ireland", to settle this debate once and for all.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'm surprisingly enjoying tonight's show. Most of the songs have been tolerable. Switzerland is probably my favourite, had it been an instrumental piece I definitely would say it was as your woman nearly ruined it but I also liked Germany's entry. And fair play to Jedward. Completely talentless but energetic. Although I don't like the fact the song writers aren't Irish. Shouldn't that be the whole point?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Eoin, are you getting "You Can't vote for the UK" or "You can't vote for Ireland", to settle this debate once and for all.
Can't vote for Ireland, I'm watching on RTE One. But I can vote through BBC
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Well done to Azerbaijan, Ireland did better than usual, but not as good as expected. I was shocked at how bad Estonia did, and the favourites France did quite poor too. It was good to see quite a lot of countries to pass 100 points, instead of having one 'run away' winner like in the past, although Azerbaijan ended up winning by a fair enough margin.

Great, great night, as fantastic as ever, it went so quickly! I can't wait until next year!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Italy 2nd? What? It was worse than Moldova's effort. Although I suppose it sounded Italian at least. I think it would be great if, one year, every country had to have an example of traditional ethnic music from their own country. I heard a traditional Croatian wedding band once who were unbelievable. Wish I could remember their name.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Certainly passed the last few hours of work quicker. Had a good laugh watching it in fairness. Booted it home on the rothar to catch the end of the voting. Unlucky Charlie, hope you're enjoying your night over there anyway.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Andy Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Today I got told I look like the guy on the right in the Portugal entry.
True.
That's nothing - check out the Finnish lad!
Looks a bit like Patrick Kielty.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Eoin, are you getting "You Can't vote for the UK" or "You can't vote for Ireland", to settle this debate once and for all.
Can't vote for Ireland, I'm watching on RTE One. But I can vote through BBC
If you have BBC why are you watching it on RTE? Graham Norton is a pretty good host. Obviously nowhere near as good as a drunk Terry Wogan but certainly better than Marty Whelan.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Wasn't watching it myself, but my daughter was while I was using the computer on the other side of the room.The only time I looked up was when I heard the Azerbaijan entry. I thought that it sounded pretty good. Good call, Raccoon. Did you get any money down?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why was there all this hope for the UK entry? I didn't think it particularly stood out. The sound also came across quite poorly in it. I was pleased for Jews(dard) to win this mini-battle.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Yeeeeeees. Got on Azerbaijan at 9.4 this morning, thought it seemed ridiculously long odds. Thank you very much Europe 8-)

Good contest I thought, quite close voting to make it exciting, but a good song won. Still don't understand why France were favourites, and amazed to see Italy come second. Not surprised by Blue's finishing position - they might be 'famous', but that song was not Eurovision material.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ah deadly. I am impressed and cheery hearted by your successful punterage! A fellow forumite was so impressed with Moldova he checked their odds which were 66-1 and he got so excited he posted it on facebook before putting his money down, by which time he had to settle for 40-1, but before long they were 16 and the gamblers among us were obviously voting with their thumbs. Personally, I found it all a bit hard to take and if I hadn't been confined to the workplace where I needed to sit in the same chair for most of the evening, I wouldn't have watched as much of it, but at the same time, I did enjoy checking back in with it as I haven't really watched it since I left my parents gaff in '02.

Anyway, most of the songs were pretty shocking. I was disappointed that I didn't hear any songs in another language (I didn't see every entry, were there any?) and I didn't see any bands actually playing. Most of the singing was pretty full on as well. Combined with the crap audio from the computer speakers at work (had to watch rte.ie complete with drunk Marty Whelan (poor man's Wogan crossed with Des Lynam) it was kind of hard to listen to.

The fecking arena was amazing though. It took me until after all the performances to cop that it was in a football ground. I'd watched a bit of Thursday's as well and all. Amazing. Left work at 10.45 and pelted up the hill on my Brian Moore approved city bike to get in for the end of the voting (the best bit, in fairness). Enjoyed voting on jury presenter hotness with aforementioned forumite. Speaking of presenters, was sad not to hear Wogan, I miss that guy, but Graham Norton was good in fairness (sure you'd expect no less of a west Cork man!).

It's nice that there are a few Irishmen who are kind of, British darlings, I suppose. I never really thought of Wogan as Irish when I was a kid and Lynam to me is still English just like Martin Keown, really. When the Irish results came around tonight, you saw Derek Mooney deliver them for us. It was funny to hear Graham say 'Hi Derek' on bbc. Mooney has a boring radio show and presents our lottery quiz show (winning streak: you get to go into a draw to go on if you get three stars on lottery scratch cards and when you get on you win like, ten grand minimum and one of 4 or 5 wins like, shitloads). He's gay and he's into animals. It got me thinking about Wogan's sexuality. I mean... Kirk likes Kylie (as do lots of gay men). He also likes darts. I wonder does Wogan like animals?

Anyway, I really enjoyed the eurovision this year, even if the songs were pretty much all crap. I would like to hear some actual decent songs with people actually playing them and stuff, but I don't need eurovision for that. Fair play Jedward. I think people need more stuff to unite them these days and it seems that a lot of people are uniting behind Jedward this weekend. When I saw them on Thursday I thought they were great in fairness. They were a little more tame tonight, perhaps someone behind the scenes told them to chill out a bit. They were looking like they could clatter into each other on Thursday at any moment and, as they went last, the noise was deafening after they finished. There's the inevitable backlash of course in this nation of begrudgers, but Jedward are just another couple of fucked up celtic tiger cubs. They just happen to be good looking and there are two of them. Hopefully now that they've had a hit in Germany they can be kept busy over there along with house music and David Hasselhoff records and we'll have to endure a little less of them. Danke schon, mein freunden!

That's ultimately what is really annoying though. RTE knew when they organised the "national song contest" (of which they made a reality TV documentary lead up show of course) that Jedward would win. I don't doubt that these things are often rigged anyway once there is a public vote but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that Jedwards appearance was put forward to increase the profile of two not very talented singers - some formulaic pish poor songwriters and a bunch of other arseholes, just so that they can sell more crap to us. The quality of music on Jools Holland's show blows it away but far fewer people I would guess, watch that, than watch X-Factor type stuff, like this. It's a big load of my cock and that is all I have to say about that.

I shall now go listen to something beautiful like this and hopefully the quality of 'music' I decide to listen to won't reach the same depths again until next May if I should be SO LUCKAY.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Well done to Azerbaijan. They were quite good. Azerbaijan are normally fairly good each year to be honest! They seem to just have the natural knack!
My favourites were: Spain; Ukraine; Georgia. (my overall best was probably Ukraine; the Spain singer kept spitting (lol), but...she was Spanish! All Spanish people spit, I guess! ...I think! Also, I don't think Georgia were absolutely astonishing - I think they were simply fantastic, but not "wow!"-ing.) Scores: 22/30
My worst was: France. Score: 17.5/30
United Kingdom did get quite high up - I think we finished 12th or something, didn't we? Our worst place on the board was 13th so that's good. I'm not that surprised Ireland went quite high up the board too because they are quite famous (I suppose they weren't too bad, I scored them 18.5 out of 30 which isn't that bad); the only thing I wanted is for Ireland not to beat United Kingdom. But no. I wanted United Kingdom to get into the Top 5. But no. I wanted one of the ones I liked best to win. But no. None of my dreams come true!
I wonder who United Kingdom are going to have next year...I hope it's someone better than Blue. Well, Blue were very good (I scored them 21.5), it's just that they are not that popular and famous.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Excellent analysis, Andy... in the sense that I really enjoyed reading it, not that I necessarily agree with it - we only got home in time for the last 10 minutes of voting and to hear the reprise of the winning song, which was frankly appalling, but I'm guessing the first performance when they weren't high on winning was rather better.
Andy Wilson wrote:When the Irish results came around tonight, you saw Derek Mooney deliver them for us. It was funny to hear Graham say 'Hi Derek' on bbc. Mooney has a boring radio show and presents our lottery quiz show
I still have high (though ever-diminishing) hopes of seeing Kevin Hough do this one year, but I doubt he's known to a wide enough audience even in Ireland. I once went to a barbecue at his house in Dublin where he plied me with brandy all evening - I can't remember which one of us passed out first, but in a nation of hardened drinkers he certainly knows how to keep the flag flying. He also somehow manages to speak perfectly clearly on the radio and yet be largely unintelligible off it, in which respect he's uncannily like Fred Rickwood in the Father Ted "Song for Europe" episode. But he's a great guy and a more than generous host.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Andy Wilson wrote: complete with drunk Marty Whelan (poor man's Wogan crossed with Des Lynam)
Noel Edmonds/Dale Winton would be a better comparison IMO. (Just for the insincerity/smarm factor.)
Andy Wilson wrote:
When the Irish results came around tonight, you saw Derek Mooney deliver them for us................. . He's gay and he's into animals. It got me thinking about Wogan's sexuality. I mean... Kirk likes Kylie (as do lots of gay men). He also likes darts. I wonder does Wogan like animals?
Andy, WTF were you on last night?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Andy, on what planet are Jedward good looking? I've never heard anyone say that about them. They're supposed to be 19, they look about 12. Also I can't help but think of Paul from Tekken when I see them.
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

I watched most of the show last night and enjoyed what I saw. Crucially I missed the winning entry from Ajerbijhan (can't spell it!) and most of the voting. I voted myself for Italy so was pleased to see that they came 2nd. Would some one be able to tell me who UK gave their points to as I missed that bit? :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Douze points a la Ireland.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Soph K wrote:Well done to Azerbaijan. They were quite good. Azerbaijan are normally fairly good each year to be honest! They seem to just have the natural knack!
My favourites were: Spain; Ukraine; Georgia. (my overall best was probably Ukraine; the Spain singer kept spitting (lol), but...she was Spanish! All Spanish people spit, I guess! ...I think! Also, I don't think Georgia were absolutely astonishing - I think they were simply fantastic, but not "wow!"-ing.) Scores: 22/30
United Kingdom did get quite high up - I think we finished 12th or something, didn't we? Our worst place on the board was 13th so that's good. I'm not that surprised Ireland went quite high up the board too because they are quite famous (I suppose they weren't too bad, I scored them 18.5 out of 30 which isn't that bad); the only thing I wanted is for Ireland not to beat United Kingdom. But no. I wanted United Kingdom to get into the Top 5. But no. I wanted one of the ones I liked best to win. But no. None of my dreams come true!
I wonder who United Kingdom are going to have next year...I hope it's someone better than Blue. Well, Blue were very good (I scored them 21.5), it's just that they are not that popular and famous.
Why scores out of 30? And why all the half marks? You might as well just score them all out of 60.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Soph K wrote:Well done to Azerbaijan. They were quite good. Azerbaijan are normally fairly good each year to be honest! They seem to just have the natural knack!
Why scores out of 30? And why all the half marks? You might as well just score them all out of 60.
Because she's RANDOMMMM and does RANDOM things!!!!!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The BBC did a Eurovision scorecard which could help you decide who to vote for. I had Romania on 28/30.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Excellent analysis, Andy... in the sense that I really enjoyed reading it, not that I necessarily agree with it.
Phil Reynolds wrote:I still have high (though ever-diminishing) hopes of seeing Kevin Hough do this one year, but I doubt he's known to a wide enough audience even in Ireland. I once went to a barbecue at his house in Dublin where he plied me with brandy all evening - I can't remember which one of us passed out first, but in a nation of hardened drinkers he certainly knows how to keep the flag flying. He also somehow manages to speak perfectly clearly on the radio and yet be largely unintelligible off it, in which respect he's uncannily like Fred Rickwood in the Father Ted "Song for Europe" episode. But he's a great guy and a more than generous host.
Haha. Deadly. I only know him from 'The Lyrics Board' which was an RTE show that most people hated but i loved with two teams of three sitting at a piano and the object being to guess and perform songs from limited lyrics. A word was revealed from a line in a song and if you couldn't guess the song you just sang a song with that word in it. Kevin was a team captain for a while. Glad to know he's cool. Do you remember where he lived?

The lads were watching that episode of father ted when I called up last night. We followed it up with Graham Norton's appearance in the caravan one.
Mark James wrote:Andy, on what planet are Jedward good looking? I've never heard anyone say that about them. They're supposed to be 19, they look about 12. Also I can't help but think of Paul from Tekken when I see them.
Ah c'mon, they're hardly ugly in fairness. I mean, I bet if you were that way inclined you Jedwould
Liam Tiernan wrote: Noel Edmonds/Dale Winton would be a better comparison IMO. (Just for the insincerity/smarm factor.)
Yeah, much better. Winton crossed my mind but it's just his smarminess that fits so I didn't mention him but absolutely.
Liam Tiernan wrote: Andy, WTF were you on last night?
Just 2 cans, a shot of some Polish liqueur and I wasn't hanging out with any black people either.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Soph K wrote:I wonder who United Kingdom are going to have next year...I hope it's someone better than Blue. Well, Blue were very good (I scored them 21.5), it's just that they are not that popular and famous.
Blue are more famous in Europe than Jedward. You're just too young to remember them.

Surprised to find people here who actually liked the Azeri entry. I think it's horrible and possibly the worst winner of the last ten years. The entire voting was a massive disappointment for me and I certainly didn't want to end up cheering on Sweden to catch up with the leader. All my favourites, especially Estonia, performed well below expectations.

It doesn't look promising for us to attract another big name act to represent UK next year. The media are being surprisingly kind about the result, with no major complaints about bloc voting, but I fear 11th won't be enough to make Blue the start of a long-term trend. I wasn't very impressed with Blue's performance. The staging, with the green screen and pics of their faces was pretty bland and the vocals weren't as good as I'd heard previously. I can't complain too much about their placing.
Last edited by Martin Bishop on Sun May 15, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Well, I'd prefer if everyone sent complete unknowns. It was supposed to be an amateur song contest just like the olympics was supposed to be an amateur sporting event. We actually hired professionals to compete against each other for the right to represent us which I think is really bad form.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Joseph printed off some score sheets for us and there were 4 catergories: Song quality, Dance/Outfits, Performance and Total - it made sense to score the first three catergories out of 10 then the total would be out of thirty. Half marks because I couldn't decide whether to put them into the lead or not and/or because i didn't think they deserved the whole number after it or before it.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Because she's RANDOMMMM and does RANDOM things!!!!!
Well Ryan, that is not the case this time...but often is...at least someone here has a bit of common sense (apart from me - obviously!) even though you were incorrect. Keep saying that answer, though, and you'll be rated highly - almost as highly as me - Princess Half Angel (because angels are good) and half devil (because devils are cool) Random!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Andy Wilson wrote:It was supposed to be an amateur song contest just like the olympics was supposed to be an amateur sporting event.
Since when?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Since maybe I made that up. That's what I always thought for some reason.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

It would be cool if people had no way of finding out which song belonged to which country, that way it would be a proper song contest.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Cliff Richard certainly wasn't an amateur in 1968.

The only reason UK have been sending amateur acts in recent years is because of a lack of interest both from the BBC and professional acts (although how one defines amateurism in the entertainment industry is a tough one). In many other countries, especially Eastern European ones, big name professional artists are the norm.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Bishop wrote:Cliff Richard certainly wasn't an amateur in 1968.

The only reason UK have been sending amateur acts in recent years is because of a lack of interest both from the BBC and professional acts (although how one defines amateurism in the entertainment industry is a tough one). In many other countries, especially Eastern European ones, big name professional artists are the norm.
I love/find it a bit scary how much of an expert you are and how seriously you take it all.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Andy Wilson wrote:Well, I'd prefer if everyone sent complete unknowns. It was supposed to be an amateur song contest just like the olympics was supposed to be an amateur sporting event. We actually hired professionals to compete against each other for the right to represent us which I think is really bad form.
Every Irish entrant that I can find info on since the beginning has been a professional singer beforehand (yes, even Dana), with the exception of Niamh Kavanagh in 1993, who was a member of an amateur musical society when she won, (and the reason I remember that fact is because she's local) Donna & Joe McCaul (2005) and possibly Chris Doran in 2004.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:Cliff Richard certainly wasn't an amateur in 1968.

I love/find it a bit scary how much of an expert you are and how seriously you take it all.
Agree with this, but unambiguously the first option.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Thanks for that correction so. Charlie, what was it like out there? Did you try it on with Lena?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andy Wilson wrote:Charlie, what was it like out there? Did you try it on with Lena?
Not only did I have to endure a roomful of people pointing and laughing throughout that performance, no fewer than 8 people texted me to tell me the same thing (two of them internationally) and several more people on Facebook. THANKS GUYS, IS THAT ALL I AM TO YOU?!

It was pretty funny though.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hah. I missed it myself, just spotted him in the final round up and . Watching it now though... pretty funny tune. Da da dum da da dum da da da da dum...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I quite enjoyed Eurovision to be honest. I didn't see loads of the acts (made sure I saw Blue - which I thought were pretty good) but watched all the results. The results were awesome because I think it was like after 4 countries had voted that we'd gone top after the 12 from Bulgaria. Our house erupted in quite a wonderful moment of patriotism and nostalgia for a great boy band of our childhood. Then after that it went downhill as we slowly sank like a stone down the left hand side of the screen and we all just felt sorry for the lads (Blue) more than anything. Anyway, the household has decided that we are going to have a Eurovision party next year.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hang on, what? You were there Charlie?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Andy Wilson wrote:
Mark James wrote:Andy, on what planet are Jedward good looking? I've never heard anyone say that about them. They're supposed to be 19, they look about 12. Also I can't help but think of Paul from Tekken when I see them.
Ah c'mon, they're hardly ugly in fairness. I mean, I bet if you were that way inclined you Jedwould
I guess they're not ugly, I'd probably go so far as to say cute but in the puppy sense, I can't see how they'd be shagable though. The fact they look 12 should put most people off.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

What's really interesting about Azerbaijan's win (well, to me) is the prospect of Armenia participating next year in Baku. The two countries have a long-standing border dispute and Armenians aren't normally allowed into the country. Their conflict has overlapped into Eurovision too. In 2009 Azerbaijan authorities arrested people for the crime of voting for Armenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia%E2 ... ng_Contest
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Mark James wrote:I'd go so far as to say cute but in the puppy sense, I can't see how they'd be shagable though.
Best not to think too much about it!
Martin Bishop wrote:In 2009 Azerbaijan authorities arrested people for the crime of voting for Armenia.

Nuts.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Martin Bishop wrote:In 2009 Azerbaijan authorities arrested people for the crime of voting for Armenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia%E2 ... ng_Contest
Yet Malta deliberately gave 12 points to us in 2007 as a protest against Eurovision politics and it didn't work. We didn't even deserve it.