Spoilers For Monday January 10th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday January 10th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

WAHEY!! WE'RE BACK IN BUSINESS!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Yes, that's right, folks. Christmas is officially over. How do we know this :?: It's because Countdown is back on air. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

We're now at the start of Series 64, as we start the search, which will presumably go on til June, to find the next series champion.

Maybe we've already seen him, as Mike Pickering returns after winning the last 2 prelims of Series 63, but will a month off mean he's not back up to speed yet..... We'll soon see.

In DC for the start of the New Year, is the brilliant comedian (I should know, I've met him. 8-) ), and star of Not Going Out, Tim Vine.

Before I go, just a couple more pointers for you all.

1. Today, the show switches dictionaries. Out goes the 2nd Edition Revised of the OED, and in comes the 3rd Edition of the OED. (If anyone knows some words that have come in and out, please feel free to share with us all.)

2. Remember also, that the show isn't starting at 3:25pm today. You'll have to be ready a quarter of an hour earlier from now on for its 3:10pm start. :idea:

So, Ryan will be around later for the first recap of 2011. See you later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Monday January 10th 2011

Post by Matt Morrison »

Took me by surprise. I forgot. Good times.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Tim vine is C4c awards approved.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

CAPITALLY?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

In round 4, CAPITALLY for nine.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Meh stewart beat me.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Can't believe Susie didn't find CAPITALLY
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

ENDNOTES in the SONNETED round
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

A couple of things. Firstly TINFOIL in round 3, and ATYPICAL in round 4 as beaters, even though CAPITALLY was there (good spot Stewart and Joseph). In the 2nd half there was also ARMIGER and TENONERS as a beater and equaller in rounds 8 and 9 respectively.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Clever conundrum scramble.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Decent game to start off 2011. Are DC better or am I deranged? Also nice spot by the person in the audience.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Josh Hurst wrote:A couple of things...and ATYPICAL in round 4
LOL. Still didn't see that even with TYPICAL and after going through the whole game twice (due to it being my recap). I'm bloody terrible.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Surpising that DC didnt mention CAPITALLY, it was quite an obvious spot so I imagine lots of viewers at home would be left thinking it mustnt be in. Had that, TINFOIL and ARMIGER as dc beaters. Very nice spot from the audience member, its not valid on apterous, so it must be one of the new additions to the dictionary. I must confess that I am not really a fan of todays conundrum as I thought EARTHSOME/HEARTSOME also sounded like plausible answers, and conundrums where you spot various possible answers are just stupid.

Great to see Tim Vine back in DC, my Grandad hates him, but I think he is awesome. The challenger was a bit good looking for a countdown contestant, nice to see her smiling throughout (that sounds incredibly creepy).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

JackHurst wrote:Surpising that DC didnt mention CAPITALLY, it was quite an obvious spot so I imagine lots of viewers at home would be left thinking it mustnt be in.
You overestimate the audience.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

DOWNTIME is new too.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

JackHurst wrote:DOWNTIME is new too.
OMG and so was BIRDBATH!!!!!!
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I think I remember Marcus H having downtime disallowed. If only he'd waited a series... (Not that it would have changed anything)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Joseph Krol wrote:I think I remember Marcus H having downtime disallowed. If only he'd waited a series... (Not that it would have changed anything)
It might have. Marcus was only 6 behind Daniel Pati, those 8 points woulda put him 3rd seed.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:I think I remember Marcus H having downtime disallowed. If only he'd waited a series... (Not that it would have changed anything)
It might have. Marcus was only 6 behind Daniel Pati, those 8 points woulda put him 3rd seed.
ERUPTING should have changed it anyway. TBH, If Marcus would have prefered to have been number 3 seed over number 4, then he only has himself to blame for not kicking up a fuss about it aftwerwards, I am sure the points would have been awarded retrospecively.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JackHurst wrote:Very nice spot from the audience member, its not valid on apterous, so it must be one of the new additions to the dictionary. I must confess that I am not really a fan of todays conundrum as I thought EARTHSOME/HEARTSOME also sounded like plausible answers, and conundrums where you spot various possible answers are just stupid.
Yeah, another newbie to the dictionary, as were the teasers, as already mentioned.

I only missed TEFILLIN and ARMIGER, so would've got a max game minus 3 in ODE2r mode.

Although I was slightly surprised that 985 was impossible.

My 984 was ((50 - 1) x ((9 x 3) - 7)) + 4.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

James Robinson wrote:
I only missed TEFILLIN and ARMIGER, so would've got a max game minus 3 in ODE2r mode.
Very well done for spotting HORSEMEAT then.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

JackHurst wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
ERUPTING should have changed it anyway. TBH, If Marcus would have prefered to have been number 3 seed over number 4, then he only has himself to blame for not kicking up a fuss about it aftwerwards, I am sure the points would have been awarded retrospecively.
I did have DOWNTIME disallowed - Susie commiserated at the time and mentioned it would probably make the next dictionary which was fair enough. REPUTING was the controversial one which was disallowed because it is valid on apterous. Yes, if either or both had been allowed I would have been #3 seed but I didn't see the point in kicking up about it as I had already done what I wanted to achieve. I played pretty poorly (in my head) against Tom when I watched his quarter-final so it probably worked out for the best, and I certainly wouldn't have beaten Eoin in the semi-final who was on fire :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JackHurst wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Very well done for spotting HORSEMEAT then.
Thank you, was well happy with that. I didn't even spot your suggestions, which might've have made me consider one of those.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Nice to have Countdown back to accompany my trumpet practice.

GONADS jumped out in R1.

I almost do a screencap of Rachel standing next to the letters as arranged on the board:
CAI P
TALLY

after they'd all missed the 9.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

By the way, did anyone notice that in the end credits, the dictionary credit has been replaced with a person with the title "Dictionary Engineer". :shock: :? 8-)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

James Robinson wrote:By the way, did anyone notice that in the end credits, the dictionary credit has been replaced with a person with the title "Dictionary Engineer". :shock: :? 8-)
To be exact (and I know you like to be :)), it's been supplemented, not replaced. Wonder what this person does? Let the conspiracy theories begin! (if they haven't already)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mike Brown wrote:
James Robinson wrote:By the way, did anyone notice that in the end credits, the dictionary credit has been replaced with a person with the title "Dictionary Engineer". :shock: :? 8-)
To be exact (and I know you like to be :)), it's been supplemented, not replaced. Wonder what this person does? Let the conspiracy theories begin! (if they haven't already)
Indeed you are correct, Mike. I actually realised after watching today's show, but was in a rush to see the Terriers, so didn't have chance to correct myself. Oh well. ;)