Twitter

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Twitter

Post by Michael Wallace »

So I recently succumbed to Twitter, although I should stress this was for professional purposes (I'm never going to become a rock star statistician if I don't embrace the Social Network revolution, am I?). Does anyone else here use it?

My first experiences of it rather match my expectations. I could never understand how you could use Twitter as any sort of pseudo-blog where you could keep people informed about your goings-on without resorting to the "just did a poo" inanity that it is often described as promoting. Trying to convey anything contentful in 140 characters seems almost impossible, although it seems quite suited to the "hey check out this cool link guyz" style of update, which is precisely my intended use for it.

So anyway, how many members of the Twitterati (I've probably used that incorrectly) do we have here? And what do you all think of it?

(Twitter version: hey guyz i got twitter its a bit rubbish but good for linking cool stuff yeah?)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Twitter

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I signed up to twitter just because I wanted to follow Stephen Fry. I don't like twitter that much.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Twitter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've used it for just over a year now.

I use it almost entirely for tweeting score flashes for my local football team, and for receiving score updates originating from tweeters at other games in the same league. When I last looked, I had 123 followers, and most of them seemed genuine football contacts.

My sole additional use was for receiving progress updates from Co:Lon, and relaying them here on the forum.

So long as it's used in a controlled way the system works well, with no cost whatever to me, since receiving tweets is free (even when I'm abroad), and sending tweets is covered by my unlimited text allowance.