Countdown/Apterous Words Used In Real Life

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Countdown/Apterous Words Used In Real Life

Post by Karen Pearson »

There are loads of words that we come cross in Countdown and Apterous that we can't imagine ever using in real life. However, every now and then I come across one, and I thought it would be interesting to see which other weird Countdowny words people have come across in real life.

I'll make a start with:
MOIETY - appears on the second page of Sense and Sensibility in relation to Henry Dashwood's first wife's will.
MUUMUU (a popular Unlimited word) - appears in The Third Victim by Lisa Gardner
I recently also came across 'DETRAINED' in a novel although I can't remember either the title or the author (it wasn't a great read!)
And the tennis coach we had in Florida was very fond of explaining that the last action in the serve involves 'PRONATING'.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Countdown/Apterous Words Used In Real Life

Post by Jon Corby »

Karen Pearson wrote:MUUMUU (a popular Unlimited word) - appears in The Third Victim by Lisa Gardner
Homer also wears one in the Simpsons when he gets fat so he can work at home :D
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Karen Pearson wrote:I'll make a start with:
MOIETY - appears on the second page of Sense and Sensibility in relation to Henry Dashwood's first wife's will.
I won the Moiety Safety Award (about 10 years ago!)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Previous thread along similar lines (probably a bit late to merge them now).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

When I was in hospital for a bit loads of Apterous words popped up that I wouldn't normally hear: triage, ampoule, cannula, supine etc...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Whilst watching a rerun of WWTBAM the question was:

"Often found on the human skin, what is a lentigo?"

A) Mole
B) Beauty Spot
C) Freckle
D) Tattoo

I got this wrong and I asked Innis too and he didn't know. It was amazing that having used this word a few times and not bothering to look it up could have cost me lots of money if I was on the show. I think it was a question for £125,000 or £250,000 couldn't remember which.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I recently asked a question in a quiz which included the word SFUMATO.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Whilst watching a rerun of WWTBAM the question was:

"Often found on the human skin, what is a lentigo?"

A) Mole
B) Beauty Spot
C) Freckle
D) Tattoo

I got this wrong and I asked Innis too and he didn't know. It was amazing that having used this word a few times and not bothering to look it up could have cost me lots of money if I was on the show. I think it was a question for £125,000 or £250,000 couldn't remember which.
I'd go with freckle.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I would have went with mole.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I thought it was beauty spot based on the reasoning that tattoo is just stupid and a definite wrong answer, I knew a technical term for mole (nevus) and I thought I knew a technical term for freckle, I couldn't remember what this word was but I knew it wasn't lentigo. Anyway, turns out there is more than one word for a freckle and I would have lost a cool £93,000. Freckle was correct, ironic, since I am covered in thousands of the bastards.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I thought it was beauty spot based on the reasoning that tattoo is just stupid and a definite wrong answer, I knew a technical term for mole (nevus) and I thought I knew a technical term for freckle, I couldn't remember what this word was but I knew it wasn't lentigo. Anyway, turns out there is more than one word for a freckle and I would have lost a cool £93,000. Freckle was correct, ironic, since I am covered in thousands of the bastards.
Headful of quiz shit wins the day again.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I thought it was beauty spot based on the reasoning that tattoo is just stupid and a definite wrong answer, I knew a technical term for mole (nevus) and I thought I knew a technical term for freckle, I couldn't remember what this word was but I knew it wasn't lentigo. Anyway, turns out there is more than one word for a freckle and I would have lost a cool £93,000. Freckle was correct, ironic, since I am covered in thousands of the bastards.
A naevus can be a mole, but really it's just another term for a birthmark, so a mole that developed (for instance) as a result of cancer wouldn't be a naevus. And when I learned about it (admittedly ages ago) lentigo wasn't a thing at all, it was a medical condition that (generally) old people got (characterised by small brown skin patches which do look like freckles). But I wouldn't say that Ryan had lentigo, I'd say he had freckles. So Chris Tarrant can stick that right up his fucking arse. Unless I'm wrong. Which is possible.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

JimBentley wrote:
A naevus can be a mole, but really it's just another term for a birthmark, so a mole that developed (for instance) as a result of cancer wouldn't be a naevus. And when I learned about it (admittedly ages ago) lentigo wasn't a thing at all, it was a medical condition that (generally) old people got (characterised by small brown skin patches which do look like freckles). But I wouldn't say that Ryan had lentigo, I'd say he had freckles. So Chris Tarrant can stick that right up his fucking arse. Unless I'm wrong. Which is possible.
Well I was surprised by it. The definition of lentigo does say freckle but I agree more with what you say here and the WWTBAM aren't the greatest quiz writers! Remember the tennis question they got wrong? And the one with Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen I think was about Sheridan's middle name. Could be wrong. But yeah with WWTBAM they should make sure there are no dodgy questions at that level of money!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:But yeah with WWTBAM they should make sure there are no dodgy questions at that level of money!
Seems it a widespread problem for WWTBAM
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Doohan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:But yeah with WWTBAM they should make sure there are no dodgy questions at that level of money!
Seems it a widespread problem for WWTBAM
Wow, I didn't hear about this one before. I only knew the lunula as the crescent bit on the fingernail so despite being right on the show I would have sort of been wrong. Wonder if anything would have been made of it if he actually went with fingernail.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Wow, I didn't hear about this one before. I only knew the lunula as the crescent bit on the fingernail so despite being right on the show I would have sort of been wrong. Wonder if anything would have been made of it if he actually went with fingernail.
Was quite a big deal here at the time especially considering he phoned a doctor for the answer, IIRC the production company only gave him a second chance because of huge public pressure, wankers.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

James Doohan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Wow, I didn't hear about this one before. I only knew the lunula as the crescent bit on the fingernail so despite being right on the show I would have sort of been wrong. Wonder if anything would have been made of it if he actually went with fingernail.
Was quite a big deal here at the time especially considering he phoned a doctor for the answer, IIRC the production company only gave him a second chance because of huge public pressure, wankers.
There was a similar incident on the British version a while back. The question was "what is the minimum number of shots a player has to hit to win a set of tennis?" They gave the answer as 24, when the correct answer was 12. They'd just counted the minimum number of points and forgot that if there's a double fault, you don't hit a shot.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Martin Bishop wrote:There was a similar incident on the British version a while back. The question was "what is the minimum number of shots a player has to hit to win a set of tennis?" They gave the answer as 24, when the correct answer was 12. They'd just counted the minimum number of points and forgot that if there's a double fault, you don't hit a shot.
I remember this actually as I was shouting at the guy not to go for 24 and was then supremely puzzled as to how i'd got the answer wrong
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Martin Bishop wrote: There was a similar incident on the British version a while back. The question was "what is the minimum number of shots a player has to hit to win a set of tennis?" They gave the answer as 24, when the correct answer was 12. They'd just counted the minimum number of points and forgot that if there's a double fault, you don't hit a shot.
Dude, don't you read?
Ryan Taylor wrote:Well I was surprised by it. The definition of lentigo does say freckle but I agree more with what you say here and the WWTBAM aren't the greatest quiz writers! Remember the tennis question they got wrong? And the one with Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen I think was about Sheridan's middle name. Could be wrong. But yeah with WWTBAM they should make sure there are no dodgy questions at that level of money!