Spoilers For Monday July 5th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday July 5th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

(Try and imagine me doing this in a Geordie accent. :lol: )
Day 11: 1:50pm

In the Countdown Studio, all is quiet at the moment, as the studio prepares itself for another week of shows.

In the champions' chair is Ryan Loughborough, a 3-time champion, who managed his most convincing win so far on Friday, although all 3 of his game have been pretty close.

Can he hold his nerve for the whole week to become Octochamp No.2 of Series 63 :?:

In DC this week, we have another newbie, and in a possible moment of rareness, a guest who wasn't even born in the UK :!: As our guest is the Italian chef, turned I'm A Celebrity...., Get Me Out Of Here! champion, Gino D'Acampo.

Join Ryan later to see who will be evicted. ;) :) :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Monday July 5th 2010

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:In DC this week, we have another newbie, and in a possible moment of rareness, a guest who wasn't even born in the UK :!:
'Possible' James, 'possible'? That kind of inaccuracy is not good enough for me! I demand you go through the whole wiki and let us know how many other guests have been bloody foreigners. :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

DISOWNDED in round 1
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

MORTISED as a beater in round 4. The challenger scares me....the first one that has since Cate Henderson.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:MORTISED as a beater in round 4. The challenger scares me....the first one that has since Cate Henderson.
How so, Kirk? Too powerful and domineering a woman?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote: How so, Kirk? Too powerful and domineering a woman?
I can't really explain it. She just seems scary. Maybe it's nerves, I don't know, but something didn't seem right. Then I heard she was a prison worker (uh oh) and she never said "Hiya Rachel" to put me at ease, she just jumped straight in with "consonant, please"...said with no smile as if she wanted to rip Rachel's head off. I'll reappear from behind my sofa in due course I think.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Quicker 1st numbers:

(9 x 8 x 3) + 3
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

APOLAR is a beater for 6.

ECLOSIONS as an alternative 9.

Edit: I'm loving Gino as a DC guest..he seems so happy to be there. Good to see.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: Edit: I'm loving Gino as a DC guest..he seems so happy to be there. Good to see.
Agree with this. Found him a bit annoying at first but genuine enthusiasm is a rare thing. Great stuff.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yep I hadn't seen Gino as a chef or when he was on IACGMOOH so I didn't know what to expect. He was good and commented on in my recap.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

FOREGUTS, round something.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Thought I had plebians in the BIPLANES rd. PLEBEIANS is the correct spelling. :oops:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Yep I hadn't seen Gino as a chef or when he was on IACGMOOH so I didn't know what to expect. He was good and commented on in my recap.
You guys should watch ready steady cook more. (in fact do they even still do it?) Anyway I read that as "Gino was good and he has commented on my recap" which got me really excited for all of three seconds.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

ANIMATO in round 3.

1st Numbers Alt.: (100 - (9 x 3)) x 3 = 219
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I usually fast forward a lot but I actually watched today all the way through. "Will I be able to play the piano, doctor?" A celebrity whose English is poor, and hasn't prepared an anecdote. I know they're all nice people and enthusiastic and all that, but a bit of preparation and professionalism wouldn't go amiss.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

^Unlike

Gino De Campo is the best guest on the show in ages (yes even Tim Vine) His sexy enthusiasm brings a smile to my face, and I imagine he'll boost female viewing figures. My mum and Emma intently watched the whole episode today. More please :)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:^Unlike

Gino De Campo is the best guest on the show in ages (yes even Tim Vine) His sexy enthusiasm brings a smile to my face, and I imagine he'll boost female viewing figures. My mum and Emma intently watched the whole episode today. More please :)
I'm not saying I unlike him. Quite the opposite. In fact, dislike so many others, he passes my two celebrity tests with flying colours. He shows an interest, and he doesn't pretend to have thought of words himself. But it does make you question the format. The job spec is to get a few words and tell an anecdote. If you can be the best guest for ages without doing either, why bother?

I also like Jeff and Rachel a lot, but the start of the programme made me cringe. Jeff tells a dreadful joke badly. ("Will I be able to play the piano, doctor?") He asks Rachel a vaguely pertinent personal question. ("Did you ever think of being a doctor.") She gives an implausible blonde response. ("I can't keep a secret.") He ignores her and starts on the contestants. And, worst of all, he still barely speaks to Susie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What's the big deal with "Will I be able to play the piano, doctor?"? I didn't watch it so maybe I'm missing some important context but you've brought up that specific quote twice as if there's something really bad about it.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Man injures hands. Asks doctor if he will be able to play piano when he recovers. Doctor says yes. Man couldn't play piano beforehand. World's best-known joke?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

David Williams wrote:Man injures hands. Asks doctor if he will be able to play piano when he recovers. Doctor says yes. Man couldn't play piano beforehand. World's best-known joke?
I hadn't heard it until this edition of Countdown, so no.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I hadn't heard it until this edition of Countdown, so no.
Not even in that Simpsons where Troy McClure stars in the stage version of Planet Of The Apes?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I genuinely first heard it on a lolly pop stick. Over 20 years ago for sure.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I hadn't heard it until this edition of Countdown, so no.
Not even in that Simpsons where Troy McClure stars in the stage version of Planet Of The Apes?
Never seen that one.