Spoilers For Friday July 2nd 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday July 2nd 2010

Post by James Robinson »

Hmmm, i'm still getting over the disappointment of Jonathan losing yesterday. :( :cry: Well, we certainly won't be seeing him in the finals at Christmas.

One person we might see though is his conqueror, Ryan Loughborough, who managed to halt the champions' merry-go-round for the time being yesterday with that last-gasp win. How further can he go :?:

Don't forget there's also a bit of Countdown in tonight's episode of The IT Crowd at 10pm on Channel 4. Based on what I've read and heard about it, it sounds well interesting. 8-)

Mike will be around sometime soon. ;) :) :D
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers For Friday July 2nd 2010

Post by Ryan Taylor »

"spot the mistake in today's Countdown" :|
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ooohh the idents woman just said "see if you can spot the mistake in today's Countdown".

Also, it's starting later than usual isn't it? I've just watched at 3:26 and it hadn't started yet....
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

MINISTER for 8 in round ahaon.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

What did the woman say in round 2? RAVERS?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

ARMOIRE as an equaller in round 4.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

SOLANINE in some round.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I thought someone might risk OUTLAID, the most disallowed word on apterous.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

PLAUDIT in round 9
Last edited by Mark Kudlowski on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:PLAUDIT in round 8
Frayed Knot.
http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=plaudit
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Thought swounded might be there (archaic form Of SWOONED). Unfortunately not. Had INWALES as a contestant beater next round. I wonder was Susie looking up plaudit in round 9?
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Kudlowski wrote:PLAUDIT in round 8
Frayed Knot.
http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=plaudit
In Chambers' and Collins' dictionaries, it states 'usually plural' but the word nevertheless appears in singular form.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

DROMOI in round 11 for a beater.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:
In Chambers' and Collins' dictionaries, it states 'usually plural' but the word nevertheless appears in singular form.
But we're not using those dictionaries! :roll:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

What was the mistake? She said at the end "So, did you spot the mistake? If you did, you're too clever by half." She didn't mention what it was though :(

It wasn't a vowel out of the consonant box or anything like that was it?...or even an edit where Jeff's choice of shirt was a different colour to the one shown about 2 seconds ago?
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

My wife thought that the challenger said 'a 3rd' (consonant) in R13 when the U came out. Whether it was from the wrong box or Rachel picked wrong I'm not sure.
I will record it on C4+1 and check.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ray Folwell wrote:My wife thought that the challenger said 'a 3rd' (consonant) in R13 when the U came out. Whether it was from the wrong box or Rachel picked wrong I'm not sure.
I thought the challenger said RAVERS in one round and there was only one R and they gave her the points. Maybe that was it?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ray Folwell wrote:My wife thought that the challenger said 'a 3rd' (consonant) in R13 when the U came out. Whether it was from the wrong box or Rachel picked wrong I'm not sure.
I thought the challenger said RAVERS in one round and there was only one R and they gave her the points. Maybe that was it?
Yes, according to the subtitles that's what she said.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I thought the mistake was in the score given for the first numbers game, when Ali scored 7 for being nearest to the target. I was a bit distracted at the time, so I could be wrong, but when I looked up I think Ryan's total score had also been increased by 7. Unfortunately didn't record the programme so can't check. I expected someone to mention this and when they didn't, I assumed I was wrong. However, Ryan would still have won - congratulations to him - but I'm a bit puzzled and wonder if anyone else noticed. Please forgive me if I'm wrong folks!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Is anybody else thinking "I miss Damian" :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Two mistakes: RAVERS was allowed and in R13 Ali asked for a 3rd consonant and Rachel picked a U from the vowels box.
Kathleen Batlle wrote:I thought the mistake was in the score given for the first numbers game, when Ali scored 7 for being nearest to the target.
This was OK, the score went from 27-20 to 27-27
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Nice to see you here again Kathleen. It's been a while.
Hope you are well.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

It was R12 that was RC followed by the rogue U.

I also thought it wrong JS acused RR of wearing a frock - it looks like a skirt and top.

Ray Folwell wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Two mistakes: RAVERS was allowed and in R13 Ali asked for a 3rd consonant and Rachel picked a U from the vowels box.
Kathleen Batlle wrote:I thought the mistake was in the score given for the first numbers game, when Ali scored 7 for being nearest to the target.
This was OK, the score went from 27-20 to 27-27
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The score things got fucked up the other day, didn't think it was worthy pointing out and I forget which game it was now, I think early this week.
Both contestants had a matching dodgy 7 and when it went to the double player shot where papers were compared, at least the challenger's score went up from 36 to 43, before being put back down to 36 after Susie done her piece on it.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

1st Numbers Alt.: (3 x 100) - (75 / 5) - 8 = 277
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Hi Ralph, Oh yes, I'm still around and avidly watching Countdown. Thanks for noticing. I'm fine, thanks, and still enjoy reading the comments, but probably not so often these days. I was so intrigued by the fact that there had been a mistake, that I tried to work out what it was even though I was distracted. I was actually sewing and trying to participate in the game at the same time! I used to be good at multi-tasking too. I do hope someone will put us out of our misery and tell us what the mistake was.
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

the mistake was definitely with ravers. it actually gave the game away i thought cause if ryan got beat by a point surely they would've done something about it?

as for the U when whoever said consonant i didnt notice that. i did notice a few weeks ago a vowel coming out the consonant box though, forgot to mention.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:Hi Ralph, Oh yes, I'm still around and avidly watching Countdown. Thanks for noticing. I'm fine, thanks, and still enjoy reading the comments, but probably not so often these days. I was so intrigued by the fact that there had been a mistake, that I tried to work out what it was even though I was distracted. I was actually sewing and trying to participate in the game at the same time! I used to be good at multi-tasking too. I do hope someone will put us out of our misery and tell us what the mistake was.
Yep, that was it. Allowed RAVERS when only one R was on the board. Has to be.