The Olympic Mascots

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

What's your opinion of the new mascots?

Love 'em
7%
Mildly positive
46%
Indifferent
25%
Mildly negative
11%
Hate 'em
11%

Total votes: 28

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

The Olympic Mascots

Post by Michael Wallace »

In case you missed it, they've revealed the London 2012 mascots.

Unsurprisingly, it's raised rather strong opinions, mostly from those on the 'anti' side. Personally I reckon they're alright; certainly more interesting than what you usually end up with. Plus apparently they only cost "a few thousand" pounds to produce, which strikes me as a bit of a bargain given that the logo cost £400k.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: The Olympic Mascots

Post by Matt Morrison »

the "few thousand pounds" bit is good. I also quite like them, in that whole "I don't really give a shit about Olympics mascots, but as Olympics mascots go, I quite like them" kind of way.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've gone for indifferent. So indifferent in fact, that I've not even bothered to click the link to see what they are. I find such mascots a total irrelevance.

I'm not indifferent about polls about such matters, just so long as there's always an option which says "indifferent".
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'd like them if they weren't so insanely detailed. The animations are cel-shaded with a small but very varied colour palette, which makes it pretty much impossible to tell what's even on the screen half the time. And 'Wenlock' and 'Mandeville' are shit names.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Mildly positive, I like 'mildly positive', but I wonder if serious polls would get very far if they had it as one of the options.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

John Bosley wrote:Mildly positive, I like 'mildly positive', but I wonder if serious polls would get very far if they had it as one of the options.
Actually, they use it a lot (although not necessarily with those exact words). It's known as the likert scale. Essentially, the options go along the lines of..

Strongly agree
Agree
Neither agree or disagree
Disagree
Strongly disagree

But the wording can be varied, as was so ably demonstrated by Michael.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

A one eyed figure of fun.............. Hmm, anyone else thinking Gordon Brown would have been perfect.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

They remind of those little plastic "GoGos" figures (my son used to collect them).

Why is there no poll option for that?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Marc Meakin wrote:A one eyed figure of fun.............. Hmm, anyone else thinking Gordon Brown would have been perfect.
Or a giant penis?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:A one eyed figure of fun.............. Hmm, anyone else thinking Gordon Brown would have been perfect.
Or a giant penis?
One eyed trouser snake, very good. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Or a giant penis?
One eyed trouser snake, very good. :)
That's my main problem with them. I like the animated characters: they look cool and can transform into different things and make fun pixar-like cartoons. I also like the fact they are named after the places where the modern Olympics and paralympics were invented. When they are translated into men in suits, however, they look like a pair of giant condoms.

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Bishop wrote:When they are translated into men in suits, however, they look like a pair of giant condoms.
This is true, although I'm struggling to think of a mascot which, when turned into men in suits, didn't look utterly retarded. For instance, Zakumi is a bit terrifying in suit form (although I suppose he's kinda scary as a cartoon too - dudes, why give a leopard human teeth? Looks so wrong). The Vancouver mascots are maybe a better example; quite cool characters, but as people in suits they looked retarded/scary.

Also, "Why do Olympic mascots always suck?". Poor Roni :( :( :(
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Michael Wallace wrote:Also, "Why do Olympic mascots always suck?". Poor Roni :( :( :(
I wonder how many focus group hours it took to come up with this guy:

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I'm gonna be brutally honest. They are fucking shite. I dont feel the need to back this opinion up, because you really just have to look at them for half a second to see this.

:D
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

JackHurst wrote:I'm gonna be brutally honest. They are fucking shite. I dont feel the need to back this opinion up, because you really just have to look at them for half a second to see this.

:D
IAWTP

:evil:
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I think this says it all, really :P
Lowering the averages since 2009
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

I like them. Some of the other mascots in Michaels link, Turin, Barcelona, Athens and oh dear God, Atlanta, truly sucked. Assuming they had to have mascots (and lets face it, they'll need all the marketing gimmicks they can get, if they don't want another Montreal on their hands), they could have done a lot worse. True, putting men in suits as cartoon characters never works, but the cartoons looked good. (crappy backstory though)