Countdown in London | 22nd May | Registration full!

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in London | 22nd May | Registration full!

Post by James Robinson »

Is that strictly a trophy, cos it looks more like a paperweight to me :?: :?

EDIT:Yup, strictly it IS a trophy :!: 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Christ that's beautiful. I want that. Practice starts here!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:Is that strictly a trophy, cos it looks more like a paperweight to me :?: :?

EDIT:Yup, strictly it IS a trophy :!: 8-)
I considered getting a 'proper' trophy, but thought people might be a bit annoyed if I blew the entire prize fund on something for the winner to put in a cupboard.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Is that strictly a trophy, cos it looks more like a paperweight to me :?: :?
I considered getting a 'proper' trophy, but thought people might be a bit annoyed if I blew the entire prize fund on something for the winner to put in a cupboard.
Nah dude, don't sell yourself short, that whole "bronze cup on block of wood" shit is well clichéd. Cut glass is pure class. (I done a rhyme.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Nah dude, don't sell yourself short, that whole "bronze cup on block of wood" shit is well clichéd. Cut glass is pure class. (I done a rhyme.)
Cheers blud. Did I mention that the playoff final will be a rap battle?

(not really)
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

The amusement value of getting some bemused engraver to etch something resembling "COLON MASTER" on a glass crystal has not been lost on me.

Does the winner get to spend 5 seconds in a geodesic dome collecting as many gold credits as possible?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Bayfield wrote:The amusement value of getting some bemused engraver to etch something resembling "COLON MASTER" on a glass crystal has not been lost on me.
I'm glad someone appreciates that.

When I rang them this morning to check it was done, I had to say "er, it was C, O, then a colon symbol, then L, O, N, master 2010". I avoided eye contact when I went to pick it up.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Nah dude, don't sell yourself short, that whole "bronze cup on block of wood" shit is well clichéd. Cut glass is pure class. (I done a rhyme.)
I actually do like the glass trophy. It looks much better than the other trophies I have at home. Yet, I doubt I'll be adding that to my collection any time soon. :lol:
Matt Bayfield wrote:Does the winner get to spend 5 seconds in a geodesic dome collecting as many gold credits as possible?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: I actually do like the glass trophy. It looks much better than the other trophies I have at home.

Cool - what trophies do you have?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've just noticed it's got 2010 on so this is one to keep as well, unlike the CoLin which I had to hand over to Kirk in January. I really, really want it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:I've just noticed it's got 2010 on so this is one to keep as well, unlike the CoLin which I had to hand over to Kirk in January. I really, really want it.
Nah, I'm just going to get some Tip-Ex every year.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote: Nah, I'm just going to get some Tip-Ex every year.
...as the prize?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: Nah, I'm just going to get some Tip-Ex every year.
...as the prize?
Fewer questions, more excitement plz :evil:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I thought it was a witty joke and I expected a few laughs but sadly not. I won't give up the day job - oh, wait...

Anyway of course I'm excited but I'm not practising anywhere near as much as I should be. Just under 4 weeks left to practice and I'll try to continue my run of being champion in all Countdown events in 2010. Hard task.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote: I actually do like the glass trophy. It looks much better than the other trophies I have at home.

Cool - what trophies do you have?
They're a couple that I got when I was much younger.

One was a shield for being in the winning team at the inaugural West Yorkshire Youth Games swimming event in 1999. I won 2 events, believe it or not and came 2nd in the other one.

The other is slightly more bizarre. - I used to go to Sunday school at my local church and every year you raised money for charity with a sort of collecting tin, and the person who raised the most money got a special trophy, and when I was around 9-10 years old, it was me. It didn't impress my sister much because our mum kept giving us the same amount of coins each to put in the tin, so based on that, we'd have tied, but I kept putting in a tiny bit extra when I could, so I won it.

Not necessarily that impressive, but they are trophies, nonetheless.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:Not necessarily that impressive, but they are trophies, nonetheless.
Well done, more than I ever had. For both sports and academia, I've always probably been kinda above-average-but-not-actually-good-enough-to-win-anything. My cupboard would be bare if Countdown didn't give out prizes for this :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I never knew people took these things so seriously as participants. Or is that just Kirk?
It's going to be fucking painful the way I'm playing at the moment - how long have we got between pub opening and event start again? :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I never knew people took these things so seriously as participants. Or is that just Kirk?
It's going to be fucking painful the way I'm playing at the moment - how long have we got between pub opening and event start again? :(
I expect to do particularly badly as I intend to drink like an idiot before & during the tournament :D That trophy is cool though, and I do want it. But if I get drunk enough I'll probably just steal it anyway.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:I never knew people took these things so seriously as participants. Or is that just Kirk?
An hour, so plenty of time I reckon.

I should point out that there will be Mystery Prizes to play for for those of us who don't reckon we can win outright. I'll be letting people know about them in the forthcoming weeks, as long as there is enough EXCITEMENT.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
An hour, so plenty of time I reckon.

I should point out that there will be Mystery Prizes to play for for those of us who don't reckon we can win outright. I'll be letting people know about them in the forthcoming weeks, as long as there is enough EXCITEMENT.
Meh.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:Meh.
:(

I've just remembered the last tournament I ran was a pool tourney at school. I'd recently managed to win 72 Mars bars (one of those enter the code from your wrapper into a website dealies) and so used them as prizes. WOULD THAT EXCITE YOU MORE, JON? MARS BAR OR TROPHY? MARS BAR OR TROPHY??
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Meh.
:(

I've just remembered the last tournament I ran was a pool tourney at school. I'd recently managed to win 72 Mars bars (one of those enter the code from your wrapper into a website dealies) and so used them as prizes. WOULD THAT EXCITE YOU MORE, JON? MARS BAR OR TROPHY? MARS BAR OR TROPHY??
I'm rapidly losing interest in the whole thing actually. Take my name off the list.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:I'm rapidly losing interest in the whole thing actually. Take my name off the list.
Done.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'm rapidly losing interest in the whole thing actually. Take my name off the list.
Done.
:shock:

Put it back!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Done.
:shock:

Put it back!
Sorry, too late, if you look, someone else has already taken your place.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Sorry, too late, if you look, someone else has already taken your place.
Haha, if you're lucky I'll regale you with the tales of occasions where I have actually pooped my pants, and even in one instance, my own driveway :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:I expect to do particularly badly as I intend to drink like an idiot before & during the tournament :D
Moi aussi.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I expect to do particularly badly as I intend to drink like an idiot before & during the tournament :D
Moi aussi.
I believe this is called 'Co:Lonic irrigation'.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Wow - didn't realise Innis is coming. All the way from Scotland? Nice one. Train or plane Innis? That's if the ash ever fucks off.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Train, glad I can finally make one of these things.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Awesome trophy! FWIW Michael I'd be jizz-in-my-pants-excited if I were coming as it sounds like the beastiest co-event yet (Sorry Neb!) and there's a cracking line up of peeps Id've liked to meet (Yes I'm looking at you MWM!) I'm getting :( er and :( er that I can't make it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Awesome trophy! FWIW Michael I'd be jizz-in-my-pants-excited if I were coming as it sounds like the beastiest co-event yet (Sorry Neb!)
Haha. You realise the beauty of having it in a pub is that everyone will get drunk and no-one will notice everything falls apart at the seams, right?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Awesome trophy! FWIW Michael I'd be jizz-in-my-pants-excited if I were coming as it sounds like the beastiest co-event yet (Sorry Neb!)
Haha. You realise the beauty of having it in a pub is that everyone will get drunk and no-one will notice everything falls apart at the seams, right?
And then I'll scoop the award :D (As long as I can fend off Ollie)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
And then I'll scoop the award :D (As long as I can fend off Ollie)
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:Naked mud wrestling.

Edit: Does this class as paedophilic?
I knew I was right to ban you from Co:Lon.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

My son Philip has recently decided he's grown out of family holidays, so, as there's now no need to wait till July when his BTEC course finishes, I've booked a fortnight's holiday in May in Cornwall for me, my daughter and 2 youngest sons. Great because it's cheaper and less busy than July, and we could all do with a break ! :D

One downside is that I won't be able to attend CoLon 2010, as it's in the middle weekend. Luckily there are plenty of people on the waiting list for places. Please feel free to add the £4 fee towards spot prizes or whatever.

All the best, despite whatever else has gone on on the rest of the forum, I was actually looking forward to meeting you all again and playing Countdown. Maybe next time. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Julie T wrote:One downside is that I won't be able to attend CoLon 2010, as it's in the middle weekend. Luckily there are plenty of people on the waiting list for places. Please feel free to add the £4 fee towards spot prizes or whatever.
Thanks for donating your registration fee - we'll have to add a Julie T memorial prize to the Ryan Taylor one. Now all I have to do is think of one...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I think she should have to pay the extra £1 for not bringing a board game.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Taylor's are dropping like flies.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Me me me me me me me me me me (please)!!

I know there may have been higher on the waiting list, but I'm ginger, fairly tall and a bird. It'd be a fitting tribute :D Honest guv!
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Lesley Hines wrote:Me me me me me me me me me me (please)!!

I know there may have been higher on the waiting list, but I'm ginger, fairly tall and a bird. It'd be a fitting tribute :D Honest guv!
You make a strong case, but it's first come first served. You're now top of the list, though, so all you have to do is bump off one of the current attendees...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote: so all you have to do is bump off one of the current attendees...
mmmm ;)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Michael Wallace wrote: so all you have to do is bump off one of the current attendees...
*reads PM with increasing horror...*
No Corby! I won't do that! Not Kirk - it's only a trophy... :lol:

(And Kirky, your birthday's not 'til June ;) )
Lowering the averages since 2009
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Lesley Hines wrote:
*reads PM with increasing horror...*
No Corby! I won't do that! Not Kirk - it's only a trophy... :lol:

(And Kirky, your birthday's not 'til June ;) )
Can't you just go anyway?

I only attend these things for the booze up afterwards (during in this case), the countdown is a nerdy incidental.

Edit: If anything not having to play the silly game is a bonus.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So in light of Julie T's withdrawal (and her generous donation of her registration fee), there is another memorial prize on offer! Introducing...

The Romeo and JulieT prize

Before the first game, everyone can submit a guess as to what the final points total of our Co:Lon Master will be. Note that this does not include the final deciding game, just the first six 9-rounders they will play. Whoever gets closest will win a Special Prize!

A couple of points:

1) The Co:Lon Master cannot win the Romeo and JulieT prize, since a) they could theoretically diddle the system, and ii) they're already getting a prize anyway.
2) Ties will be broken by random number generation, unless I think of something more fun nearer the time.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

*applause for the name of the prize*

I am already frantically practising finding the longest word in ridiculous selections like OOCWOCMOP in preparation for 6 games of letters being drawn from the Countdown board game... ;-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My hot girlfriend and her two hot single friends want to come. They have volunteered to "put the letters up". I don't know if the tournament has this facility. If not, they will just get drunk. Is that ok?

Regards.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:My hot girlfriend and her two hot single friends want to come. They have volunteered to "put the letters up". I don't know if the tournament has this facility. If not, they will just get drunk. Is that ok?

Regards.
Sounds good. They might be able to do that for the Grand Final, which could be classy.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Jon: this is perhaps an exciting development, but you have made the schoolboy error of neglecting to state the gender of the two hot single friends. To avoid potential disappointment, please rectify.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Bayfield wrote:To avoid potential disappointment, please rectify.
What, because that way you just shut your eyes and can't feel the difference?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Unlike my error, they're unfortunately not schoolboys. Nor, for that matter, schoolgirls. But real, grown women.

Kirk - I'm disappointed this has only happened since you've got a girlfriend. It's almost as if this is no coincidence at all and you're reputed in the Countdown scene for being a sexual predator!
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Unlike my error, they're unfortunately not schoolboys. Nor, for that matter, schoolgirls. But real, grown women.
Jon: in that case I look forward to both the glamour and worldly conversation they will bring. Plus, if they're as hot as you suggest, I'm sure they won't be the only fully-grown specimens in the room. :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Quick drinking survey. How long are people staying in the pub for? All night? Don't you have homes to go back to? When do you have to go back to them you bastards?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Quick drinking survey. How long are people staying in the pub for? All night? Don't you have homes to go back to? When do you have to go back to them you bastards?
I suspect this will be somewhat molested by the fact the pub doesn't serve meals on a Saturday. I'd imagine that fairly soon after close of play those of us who'll be hanging around will want to set off in search of tasty noms, after which another pub will probably be in order.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Quick drinking survey. How long are people staying in the pub for? All night? Don't you have homes to go back to? When do you have to go back to them you bastards?
I'm able to stay out all night, I live in quite a good place. How willing I am depends on what you're like in real life.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm kinda bound by the last train home (which is about 1am I think). I certainly hope to be out drinking until late.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I'm carrying on by train to Brighton where I'm stopping with a mate for a few days but hope to have a good hour or two's drinking first :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
I'm kinda bound by the last train home (which is about 1am I think). I certainly hope to be out drinking until late.
I am catching a train and coach back to York the next day so I've decided to sleep on a mate's floor for the night. In fact, he is going to come and join us for a few drinks too. I intend to stay as late as the last tube train allows.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
I am catching a train and coach back to York the next day so I've decided to sleep on a mate's floor for the night. In fact, he is going to come and join us for a few drinks too. I intend to stay as late as the last tube train allows.
Wheyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:I am catching a train and coach back to York the next day so I've decided to sleep on a mate's floor for the night. In fact, he is going to come and join us for a few drinks too. I intend to stay as late as the last tube train allows.
How far away is the floor? There are buses all night baby.