Scrabble Consensus Game - Move 4

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Scrabble Consensus Game - Move 4

Post by Charlie Reams »

So C4C just about settled for HAE. Brutally Quackle follows up its bonus from last turn with another easy bonus this turn in 10F TORNADE (no ODE anagram) for 70 points, and now leads 196-74. But there are plenty of tiles yet to come, including two blanks, so let's not get too downcast. And we've got an interesting rack, so let's see what we can come up with by 23:59 on Friday.

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Scrabble Consensus Game - Move 4

Post by Michael Wallace »

I'd probably play 3b VEX for 24 (I first looked at it 13b VEX for 36, but it sets up a larger play on the TWS if Quackle has an F, H, or P). The leave is QUIA, though, which isn't great.

Actually, Charlie just suggested 3g QUIVER for 29, leaving AX, which looks better.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:I'd probably play 3b VEX for 24 (I first looked at it 13b VEX for 36, but it sets up a larger play on the TWS if Quackle has an F, H, or P). The leave is QUIA, though, which isn't great.

Actually, Charlie just suggested 3g QUIVER for 29, leaving AX, which looks better.
Both X's and an F have gone so the risk of a 50+ score wouldn't be too bad and AIQU isn't that bad a leave- it's easily dumpable next turn (QADI K8 for example) and if you're going to bonus with the Q those are the letters you'd want with it.

On the flipside though, you are practically gifting Quackle 30 points, big tile or not, and there's no guarantee regardless of the friendly-ish leave that you can shift the Q for a decent amount next turn. With that in mind, my vote goes to QUIVER. There are a couple of good places to score with the X on the subsequent turn (AX 11K or 7H- and that's assuming our pick-up will be utter shite) and we need the board opening.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

QUIVER, seems to be the best option.
Although I bet Quackle has an A to hook onto it.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Meant to vote for HEVEA... QIVE is an absolutely horrific leave and we needed turnover. We fluked a good pickup and we've still got nothing much.

I'm going to vote for VEX B13d. Three vowels and one consonant is usually a bad leave, but it's okay in this instance as a Q eats up vowels. X is worse than the QU combo. VEX doesn't open up anything major against a program that will average roughly 40 per move and stuffs the -S hook which we are far less likely to use than Quackle. QUIVE(R) gives plenty of opportunity for Quackle to hit the TWS or play A-QUIVER with any old crud. I don't see us doing much damage there next turn keeping AX.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hadn't thought of AQUIVER. Good explanation, Craig, I'll add my vote to 13B VEX.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

VEX for me too at 13B.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

VEX at 13B.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

If EVA on 12B isn't allowed, then VEX works for me.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I agree with Craig.