Friday 22 January 2010 (Series 62, Prelim 10)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Mike Brown
Legend

Friday 22 January 2010 (Series 62, Prelim 10)

Post by Mike Brown »

Countdown recap for Friday 22 January 2010.

C1: Challenger Jagie Rai.
C2: Challenger Colin Grainger.
DC: Susie Dent and John Stapleton.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

If I get any further behind, I’ll have to start posting these in the Historical Recaps section – anyway, without further ado, please cast your minds back to the heady post-Garner days of late January with this recap featuring two brand new combatants, in the shape of Surbiton’s Jagie Rai (it’s pronounced ‘Jaggy Rye’; hope it’s not too politically incorrect to say so) and Haslingden in Lancashire’s bus-driving Colin Grainger.

R01: T E D N O T A E S
R02: B N N O S N E I L
R03: A D W S I E S N C
R04: T S M I O V G A R
R05: 25, 3, 6, 1, 5, 2. Target: 475.
TTT: WINGNIBS - "A type of music could get thrown away here."
R06: L J H E O R M E L
R07: R U N T X A O T E
R08: D Y R I O F S I R
R09: G A I L G P E Y P
R10: 25, 7, 5, 9, 4, 7. Target: 771.
TTT: ASHDUNCE - "If it's not signed, it'll always end up in this state."
R11: Z T I U O M P E K
R12: T V R I E N S O U
R13: C A R T E F A T D
R14: 75, 25, 100, 50, 5, 6. Target: 222.
R15: C R I M P F E E T (conundrum)

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The show opens with Jeff noting that the weekend is almost upon us and it will be kids’ party time. Rachel mentions that she used to love sleepovers (which the ODE is probably a little out of touch with when it notes them as ‘chiefly North American”), especially when they included games of ‘truth or dare’. Jeff then comments that he likes the “nice leather belt” (i.e. dress) that she’s wearing today. More on that later in the show, but until then, let’s go!!

Round 1: T E D N O T A E S

C1: DETONATES (18)
C2: DETONATES (18)
DC: DETONATES (18) DENOTES (7)
Score: 18–18 (max 18)

With both contestants spotting the niner, could this be a high-standard game??

Round 2: B N N O S N E I L

C1: lisbon
C2: bonnies
DC: BENISON (7)
Score: 18–18 (max 25)

Er, maybe, maybe not, as this time both players blob. Ben Wilson may have distant memories of declaring ‘bonnies’ and having it accepted, though! DC are right on the money, with a lovely darrenic maximum.

Round 3: A D W S I E S N C

C1: SWINES (6)
C2: CANDIES (7)
DC: CANDIES (7)
OT: ASCENDS (7) DECANIS (7) INCASED (7) INCASES (7)
Score: 18–25 (max 32)

Colin’s seven is sweet, and takes him into a lead, but (of course) it “could go either way”...

Round 4: T S M I O V G A R

C1: motar
C2: RATIOS (6)
DC: VIRAGOS (7)
OT: AMORIST (7) TRAVOIS (7)
Score: 18–31 (max 39)

Another blob for Jagie puts him further behind. DC get one of the nice sevens available to continue their max game. Can they keep this up??

Round 5: 25, 3, 6, 1, 5, 2. Target: 475.

C1: 475. ((6x3)+1)x25 (10)
C2: 475. ((2x5)+6+3)x25 (10)
Score: 28–41 (max 49)

An entry-level numbers game gives both our contestants 10 points, before John Stapleton ends his stint in the Corner with a look at some of the “Stapletonballs” he’s made over the years.

Teatime teaser: WINGNIBS -> SWINGBIN

Round 6: L J H E O R M E L

C1: mellor
C2: HOLLER (6)
DC: REHOME (6)
OT: HELLER (6) HELMER (6) JOLLER (6)
Score: 28–47 (max 55)

Colin declares his six risky, while Jagie seems more confident, but they’re both misguided and it’s the Northerner who takes the points to extend his lead yet further. HELLER is a former German or Austrian coin; a JOLLER is a partying South African.

Round 7: R U N T X A O T E

C1: ROTATE (6)
C2: TAUTER (6)
DC: TAUNTER (7)
Score: 34–53 (max 62)

DC look up the risky-sounding agent noun and their luck is firmly in, as any self-respecting Apterous obsessive no doubt knows.

Round 8: D Y R I O F S I R

C1: fisor
C2: FORDS (5)
DC: FIORDS (6)
Score: 34–58 (max 68)

This time, they both think their words are risky. This is getting to be a habit! Nice alternative spot by DC. Can they do a Kirk and max out? And didn't that selection look like an anagram of Dinos Sfyris?

Round 9: G A I L G P E Y P

C1: pilage
C2: APPLY (5)
DC: APPLEY (6)
Score: 34–63 (max 74)

I never knew that’s how you spelled APPLEY, but now I do. It makes sense, but it still looks W E I R D!!!

OoW: For the final day of ‘Boozie’ Susie’s tribute to “Call My Bluff”, she asks Rachel to pick out the correct definition of ESCADRILLE. She fails; Jeff looks smug. It is, however, a draw (between them).

Round 10: 25, 7, 5, 9, 4, 7. Target: 771.

C1: 771. Mistake in working.
C2: 773. (((5x7)-4)x25)-(9-7) (7)
RR: 771. (((5x9)-7-7)x25)-4 (after break) (10)
Score: 34–70 (max 84)

For, I think, the first time ever, I managed to beat Rach on a numbers game. Forgive me if I did a little jig!

Teatime teaser: ASHDUNCE -> UNCASHED

Round 11: Z T I U O M P E K

C1: KEPT (4)
C2: POKIE (5)
DC: IMPUTE (6)
OT: UPTIME (6) KUMITE (6)
Score: 34–75 (max 90)

The Australian fruit machine makes a comeback, while UPTIME reminds me of my UNIX days at college. I was hoping for an R for PROTIUM, but we had to settle for KUMITE, which sounds like a chemical, but is actually freestyle fighting in martial arts (and isn’t pronounced ‘coo-mite’ either). And DC are still on for their max...

Round 12: T V R I E N S O U

C1: NOISiER (and decl. as 6)
C2: TOURISt
DC: SOUVENIR (8) INVESTOR (8) ROUTINES (8)
OT: UNRIVETS (8) VENTURIS (8) VITREOUS (8)
Score: 34–75 (max 98)

Jagie declares NOISIER as a six. The second I isn’t there, of course, and it’s a seven, but should Susie have asked him to spell it? If he’d said NOSIER, shouldn’t he have been allowed it? Discuss (but not for too long). Colin sees double as well, so there’s no change in the difference between their scores. But wait, it’s ‘game over’ anyway. And the max is STILL ON!!!

Round 13: C A R T E F A T D

C1: CARTED (6)
C2: CRAFTED (7)
OT: ARTEFACT (8)
Score: 34–82 (max 106)

D’oh! DC fail to spot the final max of the day. Go on, Dame, tell us they were just being modest by only offering a seven :). Another nice seven there in DETRACT, btw.

Round 14: 75, 25, 100, 50, 5, 6. Target: 222.

C1: 220. (100+25+75+50)-(5x6) (7)
C2: -
RR: 222. (100+6+5)x(50/25) (10)
Score: 41–82 (max 116)

Colin asks for one from the top and five “from anywhere else”, as he did in Round 10. This time, Rachel takes him up fully on his request and takes three more from the top. Colin’s a bit surprised, and lets out an 'ooh', but at least it’s now academic. Good job, really, as he manages to glean nul points from the round. Jagie recovers some ground and some self-respect by being just two away, but his score is still only half that of Colin’s.

Round 15: C R I M P F E E T

C2 buzzes on 2 seconds to say IMPERFECT which is correct.
Score: 41–92 (max 126)

Colin proves he’s no slouch with a two-and-a-bit second conundrum spot and he wins the right to return on Monday, when Paul Zenon will be working his magic on Susie and C4C’s elder statesman Howard Somerset will be doing the recap (OK, so he’s actually already done it, but I can pretend!).

The show ends with Jeff suggesting he uses Rachel’s dress to wash his car at the weekend – the cheek of the man! Roll credits....

Recap by Dik Lemo.

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=62
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Friday 22 January 2010 (Series 62, Prelim 10)

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mike Brown wrote: Colin asks for one from the top and five “from anywhere else”, as he did in Round 10. This time, Rachel takes him up fully on his request and takes three more from the top. Colin’s a bit surprised, and lets out an 'ooh', but at least it’s now academic.
When he asked for one from the top and five from anywhere else in round 10, Rachel took one from the top and said something like "hmmm...I think I'll just stick with 1 from the top" hovering her hand over a 2nd large number. It then struck me that she was taking him literally but the challenger didn't take the hint and in round 14 she did it, taking 4 from the top.

However, if you say "anywhere else", does that not mean "not from the top row"? I don't really know.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Kirk Bevins wrote:However, if you say "anywhere else", does that not mean "not from the top row"? I don't really know.
I think it does. However, I just checked and I actually misquoted him - he actually asked for "any other five" on both occasions, which I reckon must include the top row.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mike Brown wrote: he actually asked for "any other five" on both occasions, which I reckon must include the top row.
Yes! That's it....I remember when I watched it that it could be construed different ways. I'm glad Rach picked up on it.