50-word stories

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

50-word stories

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I borrowed this one from Mensa Magazine:

"I was a fit young lady and attractive to men. On a sunny May day I donned my shorts and top. Later a man came towards me, we exchanged words and he wrote down my number. He was cute. I hoped we'd meet again, but not before the final whistle."
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Re: 50-word stories

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

It was a dark and stormy night, bitterly cold with thunder and lightning, hail and snow. The wind howled like a banshee but was unable to drive away the heavy lowering cloud. Even the harvest moon had hidden itself away out of sight. So I stayed home and watched television.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I cried last night. I haven't wept so hard in a long time. I was alone, but the loneliness never normally cuts so deep. Finally my supply of Kleenex comes into its own. I dried my eyes, started eating my dinner, then had a thought. Must have been the onions.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

I press and I press but get no response, and I simply can't get a word in. A bead of sweat forms on my troubled brow — this isn't the first time I've found myself in this situation. It's a terrible time to quit, but maybe Apterous has gone down again.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

God made
Adam bit
Noah arked
Abraham split
Jacob fooled
Joseph ruled
Bush talked
Moses balked
Pharaoh plagued
People walked
Sea divided
Tablets guided
Promise landed
Saul freaked
David peeked
Prophets warned
Jesus born
God walked
Love talked
Anger crucified
Hope died
Love rose
Spirit flamed
Word spread
God remained.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Resurrection
Church collection.
Popes arose
Fancy clothes.
Knight crusaders
Rogue invaders.
Reformation.
Conflagration.
Righteous factions
Monstrous actions.
Holy terrors?
Clerical errors!

Reason slept
Jesus wept!
Last edited by Liam Tiernan on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote:God [etc]
Good job you missed out the author credit as that would have taken it over the limit.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:God [etc]
Good job you missed out the author credit as that would have taken it over the limit.
Oh, so you want an ORIGINAL 50 word story.
Richard Adams
Rookie

Post by Richard Adams »

*BANG*

“Shit.”

Run.

Wrong way. Scrabble, stop. Back.

QUICK

Full pelt. Into the rain. Pavement's slippery. Round the corner, ricochet off the jogger. Keep going. Luckily it's crowded. Soon lose them with a bit of luck.

Get away from those wretched kids and their snappers.

Dogs hate November 5th.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Suddenly the world was in danger. Several men talked excitedly on telephones, but that didn’t work. In the confusion people got killed and killed themselves and other people.

Nobody knew what to do. There was a thing in the sky, but no-one knew what it was.

And they all died.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes,
cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes,
cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes,
cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes.
It'll never win.
Why not?
Only fortynine words.
Cornflakes.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:Cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes,
cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes.
It'll never win.
Why not?
Only fortynine words.
Cornflakes.
Is this likely to be a cereal?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Her face lifted toward the roiling sky as her breathless excitement mounted. The enormous craft lowered itself slowly to earth as clouds swirled and nations waited.

The doors opened with a hiss, and light poured out. The beings came into view.

“Take me! Take me!” she cried.

“No, you’re ugly.”
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I was one point behind as we went to a crucial conundrum. Smugly, though, I recalled overhearing Damian telling Kate that he'd chosen the scramble - and its solution - especially for me.

The board turned over... and I stared at the letters in mounting dismay as the seconds ticked away:

HESALOSER
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

PS Yes, I know it breaks the unwritten "rule" about plural conundrums. Give me a break. It's only a story.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I was one point behind as we went to a crucial conundrum. Smugly, though, I recalled overhearing Damian telling Kate that he'd chosen the scramble - and its solution - especially for me.

The board turned over... and I stared at the letters in mounting dismay as the seconds ticked away:

HESALOSER
I wasn't talking about him being a loser. That said, i'd had a nightmare the previous evening. I dreamt PHILGOSIN, my eyes watered, were my buttocks to be outrageously violated? He had it there, holding it aloft with both hands, his shining helmet. Turns out he was just POLISHING it.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

D Eadie wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I was one point behind as we went to a crucial conundrum. Smugly, though, I recalled overhearing Damian telling Kate that he'd chosen the scramble - and its solution - especially for me.

HESALOSER
I wasn't talking about him being a loser. That said, i'd had a nightmare the previous evening. I dreamt PHILGOSIN, my eyes watered, were my buttocks to be outrageously violated? He had it there, holding it aloft with both hands, his shining helmet. Turns out he was just POLISHING it.
lol. :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I was arguing with my wife over who keeps the dog after we seperated.
I suppose arguing with my wife whilst she was making me my favourite trifle for the last time, was not altogether wise.
She finally snapped and threw the trifle over me.
At least I got Custardy.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Marc Meakin wrote:I was arguing with my wife over who keeps the dog after we seperated.
I suppose arguing with my wife whilst she was making me my favourite trifle for the last time, was not altogether wise.
She finally snapped and threw the trifle over me.
At least I got Custardy.
Jelly good show, old bean.