Ram

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Ram

Post by Jason Larsen »

I am extremely offended by Jeff and Rachel calling the challenger on Tuesday by the nickname "Ram." Why? Because a ram is a male sheep!

I wonder why he didn't frown when they did that.

Why would they call such a nice man by a mean nickname? That is just wrong!
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Re: Ram

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Perhaps he's ewesed to it, Jason.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jason Larsen wrote:I am extremely offended by Jeff and Rachel calling the challenger on Tuesday by the nickname "Ram." Why? Because a ram is a male sheep!

I wonder why he didn't frown when they did that.

Why would they call such a nice man by a mean nickname? That is just wrong!
Have you ever called Charles Reams 'Charlie', even though it can mean 'a silly person'?
I'm sure you're not offended at being called 'Jay', an abbreviation of 'Jason', even though a jay is a crow.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Perhaps he's ewesed to it, Jason.
Nice one.

Although, as a more sheepish response, it does make my retort look more like I am lambpooning (nay, lambasting) him. :|
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I don't think you need to feel offended Jason.
They probably wouldn't have used a shortened version of his name without asking him first.
I think it would be done to sound more friendly.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jay is my father's name. I do not have the courage to let someone know I'm offended by them.

Phil, thank you for getting me to lighten up.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Could it be offensive given that it's also the title of an album by Wings?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What do you call a young eigensheep?

A lamb, duh!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Is a male sheep that offensive? My shortened name means to take someone to court and try and extract money from them. I expect Ramesh didn't 'frown' when he heard that, because probably, 'Ram' is the name he's commonly known by. I did one telly thing once where they'd already printed up my name badge up as 'Susan' so had to run with calling me that all through. It didn't feel right for me at all.

If there's ever a 'Dorothy' on, block your ears when they call her 'Dotty'!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Next week there's a contestant called Clint, but due to his poor handwriting, the L and I were misread as a U, and embarrassingly the nameplate had been printed before anyone noticed. He takes it well, though.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:Next week there's a contestant called Clint, but due to his poor handwriting, the L and I were misread as a U, and embarrassingly the nameplate had been printed before anyone noticed. He takes it well, though.
Hee Hee, I've done a double check at a few cinema billboards in my time - back when they used to put up the big clip-in letters and didn't leave a noticable gap. Saw a similar thing once when there was a need for a hand-written name plate for the choreographer 'Flick Colby'
Fool's top.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Sue Sanders wrote: Hee Hee, I've done a double check at a few cinema billboards in my time - back when they used to put up the big clip-in letters and didn't leave a noticable gap. Saw a similar thing once when there was a need for a hand-written name plate for the choreographer 'Flick Colby'
Cor, had to do a double-take on that one, thought I was getting an offer from Sue.

But talking of strange names, I was at school with a boy called Philip Shotgun. It was a poor school so he stood out having a surname that was double-barrelled............... :cry:
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Jason Larsen wrote:I wonder why he didn't frown when they did that.
Probably because he's not on the autistic spectrum.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Sue Sanders wrote: 'Flick Colby'
Chris [i][color=#0040BF]'chance his luck' [/color][/i]Corby wrote: Cor, had to do a double-take on that one, thought I was getting an offer from Sue.
;)
Chris Corby wrote: But talking of strange names, I was at school with a boy called Philip Shotgun. It was a poor school so he stood out having a surname that was double-barrelled............... :cry:
:lol:
Fool's top.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I apologize to everyone, especially Sue.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Next week there's a contestant called Clint, but due to his poor handwriting, the L and I were misread as a U, and embarrassingly the nameplate had been printed before anyone noticed. He takes it well, though.
I know someone who once wrote "Mr. Flicker" badly, and apparently it wasn't even on purpose. I hope you like this anecdote.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jason Larsen wrote:I am extremely offended by Jeff and Rachel calling the challenger on Tuesday by the nickname "Ram."
They ask you on the application form if you have a nickname Jason. I'm guessing that's what he put. 'Course, if he put something else then it is quite rude. Or maybe an in joke. Or maybe an allusion to one of his hobbies. Who's to say? :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Sue Sanders wrote: If there's ever a 'Dorothy' on, block your ears when they call her 'Dotty'!
And I expect Dinos to be very offended every time there's a Pippa on.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I can never understand how Margaret becomes Peggy
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Jason Larsen wrote:Why would they call such a nice man by a mean nickname? That is just wrong!
I don't think it's a nickname Jason. A nickname would be something referring to a physical characteristic (Hopalong Cassidy, Baby-Face Nelson), a play on a surname (Dusty Miller, Chalky White) or an allusion to a person's habits or interest (Machine-Gun Kelly).

In this case Ram is just a diminutive of his name, in the same way that people call me Andy, although my name is Andrew. Such abbreviations are common and I don't think offensive.