Quiz Setting

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Quiz Setting

Post by Allan Harmer »

I am a parent Trustee at my kids' school and run a couple of general knowledge quizzes a year. They usually make a fair bit of cash to boost the Trust funds to help buy minibuses, etc.

However, it does get quite tiresome, albeit challenging, trying to think up new themes and questions. My quizzes always contain 10 rounds of 10 questions, ususally with one or two listen to music rounds.

I was wondering if anyone else is a quiz setter? If so, would you be willing to swap whole quizzes or individual rounds? If so please let me know and we can arrange swaps.

Also, if anyone is interested, I could post the quizzes on here and you can pit your wits against them.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Quiz Setting

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Allan Harmer wrote:I am a parent Trustee at my kids' school and run a couple of general knowledge quizzes a year. They usually make a fair bit of cash to boost the Trust funds to help buy minibuses, etc.

However, it does get quite tiresome, albeit challenging, trying to think up new themes and questions. My quizzes always contain 10 rounds of 10 questions, ususally with one or two listen to music rounds.

I was wondering if anyone else is a quiz setter? If so, would you be willing to swap whole quizzes or individual rounds? If so please let me know and we can arrange swaps.

Also, if anyone is interested, I could post the quizzes on here and you can pit your wits against them.
I don't set quizzes but I enjoy them, so post away.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Cullen WE NEED YOU NOW!!!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Allan Harmer wrote:I am a parent Trustee at my kids' school and run a couple of general knowledge quizzes a year. They usually make a fair bit of cash to boost the Trust funds to help buy minibuses, etc.

I have compiled quizzes in the past, but I couldn't attempt to cover "modern culture" so it would have to be a joint effort. May I suggest that you post a few sample questions so that we can see what standard to aim at?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Here are Rounds 1-5 of my latest quiz - I'll post the answers on Friday.

Have fun!

1) It’s all Greek to me
1 Her Roman counterpart is Diana, what is her Greek name?
2 What is the last letter of the Greek alphabet?
3 How many labours did the Oracle of Delphi set Hercules as penance for killing his wife?
4 What is Ouzo flavoured with?
5 Where in Greece was Prince Phillip born?
6 Which Greek Goddess is the Parthenon devoted to?
7 What is the name of the port at Athens?
8 The Corinth Canal has two road bridges that have to be crossed. How do they open + close?
9 Which Greek white wine is flavoured with pine resin?
10 What was Wham’s first single to enter the charts, in 1982?
Total

2) Pastry, Bread, Pies & Cakes
1 What kind of pastry is used to make baklava?
2 What title is given to the senior Judge who is also the presiding officer of the Civil Division of the Court of Appeal
3 Which town is associated with the manufacture of pork pies
4 Which cake shares its name with a character from ‘The Goon Show’
5 Who played Mr Pastry in the children’s television series of the same name?
6 Who had a number 1 record in 1972 with Mouldy Old Dough?
7 Where is Eel Pie Island?
8 Which 1968 hit song contains the line ‘Someone left a cake out in the rain?’
9 According to the nursery rhyme, how many blackbirds were baked in the pie?
10 Which county is Bakewell in?
Total

3) Mountains
1 In which mountain range will you find Mont Blanc?
2 What is the name of the longest mountain range above water?
3 In which range of the Rocky Mountains will you find Mount Rushmore?
4 What is the name of the mountain range in North Africa that separates the Atlantic and Mediterranean coastlines from the Sahara Desert?
5 In which mountain range will you find Braeriach?
6 In which town is the base of Ben Nevis located?
7 What is the name of the mountain range that runs 1500km from the Danube near Bratislava to the Danube near Orsovo?
8 Where will you find the Montes Spitzbergen mountain range?
9 Name the mountain range that runs 1000km North to South in Italy and along its eastern coast?
10 What is the name of the range that contains the highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko, in Australia?
Total

4) Name the Film Character
1 Which character did John Wayne play in the film he directed called The Alamo?
2 Which Greek hero did Brad Pitt play in 2004 film, Troy?
3 What is the surname of the character from the James Bond films who has been played by Terry Savalas, Max von Sydow, Charles Gray, and Donald Pleasence?
4 What is the Christian and Surname of the character played by Julia Roberts in Ocean Eleven and Ocean Twelve films?
5 Who did Marion Cotillard play to win a Leading Lady Oscar?
6 What is the Christian and Surname of the character played by Michael Caine in The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain?
7 What is the character played by Sir Ian McKellen in the ‘Lord of The Rings’ trilogy
8 Who was played by Clark Gable in ‘Gone With The Wind’
9 Which character did Mark Hamil play in ‘Star Wars’
10 Which character was played by Robert de Niro in ‘The Untouchables’

Total

5 Sports Venues
1 Which County Cricket Club plays their home games at Grace Road?
2 Which football team plays at the St Andrews Stadium?
3 Where are the World Snooker Championships played
4 Which city hosted the 12th Athletics World Championships in August 2009?
5 What is the name of the New York venue for the Nicks, the Rangers and World Boxing fights?
6 Where would you find Kensington Oval International Cricket Ground?
7 Name the venue where the winner of the Major tournament is presented with a Green Jacket?
8 On which racecourse is the St Leger run?
9 Which Country will host the 2011 Rugby World Cup?
10 What was the name of the National stadium at the Beijing Olympics known as?

Total
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Allan, are these supposed to be answered off the cuff? If so, that lets me out - I would need around twenty minutes internet research per question.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

[quote="Rosemary Roberts"]Allan, are these supposed to be answered off the cuff? If so, that lets me out - I would need around twenty minutes internet research per question.[/quote

Yes Rosemary - but by teams of 6-8 people, so the spread of knowledge helps to cover a broad range of topics. I appreciate it is quite challenging for one person on their own.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Allan Harmer wrote:Here are Rounds 1-5 of my latest quiz - I'll post the answers on Friday.

Have fun!
I only know
1) 2
2) 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9
4) 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
without cheating

Edit: I meant 4 - of course I don't know anything about mountains.
Last edited by Derek Hazell on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Great work, Allan. As a hardened quiz aficionado myself, there's some good questions there, although I'd say the level of difficulty seems to vary hugely. Love the tangential Greek/George Michael link!

I've written quizzes before, usually general knowledge but with a twist, such as knowing the answer is a place and then having to find that place on a map. Would be happy to supply some questions or offer ideas!

NB, it's the "Knicks" not the "Nicks" that are the sports team, and you could probably sneak the baklava question into the Greek round!
Last edited by Bob De Caux on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Me and my mate Neil used to do quizzes at work. He normally gave random questions which normally included a Wild West question, which I'm completely hopeless at.

The quizzes I like to do are just random knowledge, but my quizzes are 26 questions long, since the answer to the 1st question begins with A, the 2nd with B and so on, so it is hard for the end questions at times.

EDIT: Allan, quite like the inclusion of the unofficial Bond film in the James Bond question. Nice touch. ;)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Nice stuff Allan - in some of those rounds I can answer most of the questions and in some I'm really struggling, which is always good for a team quiz as you don't want one member of the team knowing all the answers while the rest just sit there getting bored.

Can't resist pointing this out:
Allan Harmer wrote:What is the surname of the character from the James Bond films who has been played by Terry Savalas, Max von Sydow, Charles Gray, and Donald Pleasence?
Terry Savalas - was he in the Chinese remake of Kojak? ;)

You asked for swapsies so I'll dig out a few of the quizzes I've run over the years and post them.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Nice stuff Allan - in some of those rounds I can answer most of the questions and in some I'm really struggling, which is always good for a team quiz as you don't want one member of the team knowing all the answers while the rest just sit there getting bored.

Can't resist pointing this out:
Allan Harmer wrote:What is the surname of the character from the James Bond films who has been played by Terry Savalas, Max von Sydow, Charles Gray, and Donald Pleasence?
Terry Savalas - was he in the Chinese remake of Kojak? ;)

You asked for swapsies so I'll dig out a few of the quizzes I've run over the years and post them.
Ha Ha - Well spotted Phil - I always make a few typos. Thanks for the swaps - That's very kind of you
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Allan, I've been setting quizzes for years, and have a large stock of quizzes that you might find useful. Swaps would be appreciated as it'll save me work next time I'm on duty!

EDIT: My rough scores off the cuff are 6, 7, 9, 5, 9.

My quizzes aren't themed by the way, is that okay?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Don't know if this is of any use to you Allan but, even if not, some of the other forumites (especially the PopMaster aficionados) may enjoy having a go. It's a lyric quiz I set as a Christmas diversion in the office where I worked in 1996, so all the songs are at least that old - and some are a lot older!

----------------------------------------------------- 8< ----------------------------------------------------------

PHIL’S LYRIC CONTEST

Here they are: 50 quotes, a possible 100 points. All you have to do is identify the songs (or, in five cases, films) from which they come. One point for satisfying me that you know the song; two points for getting the title absolutely correct, including things like bracketed bits. The scoring for the film section is slightly different, but more of that later.

Remember, I’m in charge, and my decision is final.

I’m afraid to say that all of the songs are personal favourites, and the vast majority are in my record collection somewhere. This may help, or possibly hinder, those of you who think you know me...

Good luck!

1. So I waited with high hopes, and she walked in the place; I knew her smile in an instant
  2. Every time I think I’ve had enough and start heading for the door
  3. Found my way downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up I noticed I was late
  4. When the road has been too lonely, and the night has been too long, and you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
  5. Contempt in your eyes as I turn to kiss his lips
  6. It’s poetry in motion; she turned her tender eyes to me, as deep as any ocean, as sweet as any harmony
  7. Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
  8. When I’m drinking my Bonaparte shandy, eating more than enough apple pies
  9. And if you care, don’t let them know, don’t give yourself away
  10. Hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race
  11. Weren’t you the one who tried to hurt me with Goodbye? Did you think I’d crumble? Did you think I’d lay down and die?
  12. It’s my world, and it’s not a place I have to hide in; my world, that I want to have a little pride in
  13. Trumpets, towers and tenements, wide oceans full of tears
  14. After the first embrace from you my senses knew the look of love was in your eyes
  15. Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
  16. Onto the empty streets we go, and it might be my last chance with you
  17. Annie Harris got up gladly, pondered for a little sadly, then got on with what she had to do
  18. I opened all the closets, there wasn’t much to pack; I felt bad not telling her that I wasn’t coming back. But this day she was early...
  19. What the hell is wrong with you tonight? I can’t seem to say or do the right thing
  20. The British police are the best in the world; I don’t believe one of these stories I’ve heard
  21. Somewhere deep inside, you must know I miss you; but what can I say? Rules must be obeyed
  22. So many tears I cried, so much pain inside
  23. Is this a game you’re playing? I don’t understand what’s going on
  24. The threats you made were meant to cut me down; and if our love was just a circus, you’d be a clown by now
  25. We climb the highest mountain, we’ll make the desert bloom; we’re so ingenious we can walk on the moon

FILMIC INTERLUDE

The following quotes come from five top movies. In fact, to make life easier, each one is the very last line of spoken dialogue or narration in the movie from which it comes, with one exception. One point for naming each of the movies, and five bonus points for spotting the odd one out and supplying the correct closing line.
  26. “Round up the usual suspects.”
  27. “I find I’m so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”
  28. “You see, before he came down here, it never snowed; and afterwards, it did... Sometimes you can still catch me dancing in it.”
  29. “...and here is your receipt.”
  30. “Hammond, after careful consideration, I’ve decided not to endorse your park.” “So have I.”

Back to the songs...
  31. That’s great, it starts with an earthquake
  32. On and on the rain will fall, like tears from a star
  33. ...people walking through my head, one of them’s got a gun, shoot the other one; and yet together they were friends at school
  34. Spirits move me, every time I’m near you, whirling like a cyclone in my mind
  35. Oh and by the way, he said he saw a girl that looked a lot like you up on Choctaw Ridge
  36. Humidity’s rising, barometer’s getting low; according to all sources, the street’s the place to go
  37. Everyone can see we’re together, as we walk on by; and we fly just like birds of a feather
  38. You are on one side, I am on the other; are we divided?
  39. Brother, sisters, where are you now, as I look for you right through the crowd; all my life here I’ve spent, with my faith in God and Church and the Government
  40. You leave in the morning with everything you own in a little black case
  41. The sun comes up – I think about you; the coffee cup – I think about you
  42. Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman
  43. Way down the street there’s a light in his place; he opens the door, he’s got that look on his face
  44. From the wilds of Borneo, to the vineyards of Bordeaux
  45. I woke with a yawn, in the first light of dawn, and I saw him and through his disguise
  46. I bet you’re wondering how I knew, about your plans to make me blue, with some other guy you knew before
  47. Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by, and all I know of love is how to live without it
  48. I don’t feel all turned on and starry-eyed, I just feel a sweet contentment deep inside
  49. He knew what he was doing when he caught my eye
  50. Cousin Billy would take me walking, through the back yard we’d go walking; then he looked into my eyes; Lord knows to my surprise...
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Ian Volante wrote:Allan, I've been setting quizzes for years, and have a large stock of quizzes that you might find useful. Swaps would be appreciated as it'll save me work next time I'm on duty!

Well done Ian - That's very good for an individual, albeit a Mastermind!

Any questions are welcome, even if they are loosely General Knowledge. There is no need for them to be themed, it's just that I find it easier to start with a theme and use that to search for questions. Variety is always appreciated by the teams participating, so your quizzes will be very welcome.

I can send you my quizzes if you give me an email address, as I will need to load the CD's for the listen to music rounds

Cheers!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Don't know if this is of any use to you Allan but, even if not, some of the other forumites (especially the PopMaster aficionados) may enjoy having a go. It's a lyric quiz I set as a Christmas diversion in the office where I worked in 1996, so all the songs are at least that old - and some are a lot older!

----------------------------------------------------- 8< ----------------------------------------------------------

PHIL’S LYRIC CONTEST

Here they are: 50 quotes, a possible 100 points. All you have to do is identify the songs (or, in five cases, films) from which they come. One point for satisfying me that you know the song; two points for getting the title absolutely correct, including things like bracketed bits. The scoring for the film section is slightly different, but more of that later.

Remember, I’m in charge, and my decision is final.

I’m afraid to say that all of the songs are personal favourites, and the vast majority are in my record collection somewhere. This may help, or possibly hinder, those of you who think you know me...

Nice one Phil - This will be very useful too - Looking forward to having a go at this later.

Cheers!

Good luck!

1. So I waited with high hopes, and she walked in the place; I knew her smile in an instant
  2. Every time I think I’ve had enough and start heading for the door
  3. Found my way downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up I noticed I was late
  4. When the road has been too lonely, and the night has been too long, and you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
  5. Contempt in your eyes as I turn to kiss his lips
  6. It’s poetry in motion; she turned her tender eyes to me, as deep as any ocean, as sweet as any harmony
  7. Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
  8. When I’m drinking my Bonaparte shandy, eating more than enough apple pies
  9. And if you care, don’t let them know, don’t give yourself away
  10. Hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race
  11. Weren’t you the one who tried to hurt me with Goodbye? Did you think I’d crumble? Did you think I’d lay down and die?
  12. It’s my world, and it’s not a place I have to hide in; my world, that I want to have a little pride in
  13. Trumpets, towers and tenements, wide oceans full of tears
  14. After the first embrace from you my senses knew the look of love was in your eyes
  15. Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
  16. Onto the empty streets we go, and it might be my last chance with you
  17. Annie Harris got up gladly, pondered for a little sadly, then got on with what she had to do
  18. I opened all the closets, there wasn’t much to pack; I felt bad not telling her that I wasn’t coming back. But this day she was early...
  19. What the hell is wrong with you tonight? I can’t seem to say or do the right thing
  20. The British police are the best in the world; I don’t believe one of these stories I’ve heard
  21. Somewhere deep inside, you must know I miss you; but what can I say? Rules must be obeyed
  22. So many tears I cried, so much pain inside
  23. Is this a game you’re playing? I don’t understand what’s going on
  24. The threats you made were meant to cut me down; and if our love was just a circus, you’d be a clown by now
  25. We climb the highest mountain, we’ll make the desert bloom; we’re so ingenious we can walk on the moon

FILMIC INTERLUDE

The following quotes come from five top movies. In fact, to make life easier, each one is the very last line of spoken dialogue or narration in the movie from which it comes, with one exception. One point for naming each of the movies, and five bonus points for spotting the odd one out and supplying the correct closing line.
  26. “Round up the usual suspects.”
  27. “I find I’m so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”
  28. “You see, before he came down here, it never snowed; and afterwards, it did... Sometimes you can still catch me dancing in it.”
  29. “...and here is your receipt.”
  30. “Hammond, after careful consideration, I’ve decided not to endorse your park.” “So have I.”

Back to the songs...
  31. That’s great, it starts with an earthquake
  32. On and on the rain will fall, like tears from a star
  33. ...people walking through my head, one of them’s got a gun, shoot the other one; and yet together they were friends at school
  34. Spirits move me, every time I’m near you, whirling like a cyclone in my mind
  35. Oh and by the way, he said he saw a girl that looked a lot like you up on Choctaw Ridge
  36. Humidity’s rising, barometer’s getting low; according to all sources, the street’s the place to go
  37. Everyone can see we’re together, as we walk on by; and we fly just like birds of a feather
  38. You are on one side, I am on the other; are we divided?
  39. Brother, sisters, where are you now, as I look for you right through the crowd; all my life here I’ve spent, with my faith in God and Church and the Government
  40. You leave in the morning with everything you own in a little black case
  41. The sun comes up – I think about you; the coffee cup – I think about you
  42. Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman
  43. Way down the street there’s a light in his place; he opens the door, he’s got that look on his face
  44. From the wilds of Borneo, to the vineyards of Bordeaux
  45. I woke with a yawn, in the first light of dawn, and I saw him and through his disguise
  46. I bet you’re wondering how I knew, about your plans to make me blue, with some other guy you knew before
  47. Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by, and all I know of love is how to live without it
  48. I don’t feel all turned on and starry-eyed, I just feel a sweet contentment deep inside
  49. He knew what he was doing when he caught my eye
  50. Cousin Billy would take me walking, through the back yard we’d go walking; then he looked into my eyes; Lord knows to my surprise...
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

James Robinson wrote:Me and my mate Neil used to do quizzes at work. He normally gave random questions which normally included a Wild West question, which I'm completely hopeless at.

The quizzes I like to do are just random knowledge, but my quizzes are 26 questions long, since the answer to the 1st question begins with A, the 2nd with B and so on, so it is hard for the end questions at times.

EDIT: Allan, quite like the inclusion of the unofficial Bond film in the James Bond question. Nice touch. ;)
Cheers James. Would you like to post some of your quizzes for us to have a go at too?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Bob De Caux wrote:Great work, Allan. As a hardened quiz aficionado myself, there's some good questions there, although I'd say the level of difficulty seems to vary hugely. Love the tangential Greek/George Michael link!

I've written quizzes before, usually general knowledge but with a twist, such as knowing the answer is a place and then having to find that place on a map. Would be happy to supply some questions or offer ideas!

NB, it's the "Knicks" not the "Nicks" that are the sports team, and you could probably sneak the baklava question into the Greek round!
Bob - Thanks for the feedback, which is appreciated. I will do the corrections.

The level of difficulty has to vary as some of the teams are not strong and I do not like to see any sccres of zero. To ensure they come back next time I put in what I consider to be relatively easy questions and they feel good with a score of 4 or 5. Even then, sometimes they only get less than that.

Cheers!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Allan Harmer wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Me and my mate Neil used to do quizzes at work. He normally gave random questions which normally included a Wild West question, which I'm completely hopeless at.

Cheers James. Would you like to post some of your quizzes for us to have a go at too?
I'll have to try and dig them out. It's been quite a while. Based on the questions that you've created, mine will probably be a walk in the park.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Fair enough Allan, that makes sense. Gonna take me a while to work through those Phil, but I like what I see! Here's some questions I've written which I've tried to "googleproof" as much as possible. They are tough though, maybe if people start doing too well...

Connections and series:

1) What links an Eastern European country, a South American river, a town in the Inner Hebrides and a city in Siberia?
2) If Philippines is 5th, the UK is 4th, Nigeria 3rd and India 2nd, what is 1st?
3) What links a mythical Roman hero, a city in North West England, the father of nuclear physics and a rabbit's home?
4) Andrea Silenzi did it for Italy, Eric Cantona for France and Albert Ferrer for Spain. Who did it for Israel?
5) Who is the odd one out - Albert Einstein, Alfred Nobel, Niels Bohr, Isaac Newton, Glenn Seaborg?
6) What links Marlon Brando, Fred Astaire, Carl Gustav Jung, Karl Marx, Sir Robert Peel and a garden gnome?
7) If D is to Dark Knight, E is to ET and T is to Titanic, what is Z to?
8) What connects Ghana, Poland, Norway, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Ethiopia?
9) If Thomas is to 1, Edward to 2 and Henry to 3, who is to 4?
10) What links Ray Charles, Virginia Woolf, Sir Thomas More and Gandhi?
Last edited by Bob De Caux on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Oh dear, Phil. That's my productive output slashed for the day. First run through only got 15!! And 3 of them are driving me mad. But I mustn't succumb to a lyric search engine. :cry:
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:Oh dear, Phil. That's my productive output slashed for the day. First run through only got 15!! And 3 of them are driving me mad. But I mustn't succumb to a lyric search engine. :cry:
:twisted:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Bob De Caux wrote:Connections and series
These are indeed tough Bob. So far, the only one I'm convinced I know the answer to is 8 (thinking about Poland and Norway suggested a possible answer, and a quick online check on a couple of the other countries confirmed I was thinking along the right lines). Zabriskie Point seems like an obvious possible answer to 7 but I can't believe it's unique or that the question is that simple! And one answer to 10 could be that they've all been portrayed in movies, but again I can't believe it's that simple.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:Oh dear, Phil. That's my productive output slashed for the day. First run through only got 15!! And 3 of them are driving me mad. But I mustn't succumb to a lyric search engine. :cry:
I did even worse - I only got 8 certainties on my first run through.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Here are some questions from a bar quiz I set about five years ago with the same format as Allan's - i.e. themed rounds, 10 questions per round. I think these are mostly fairly easy, but then I set them so I would. I've updated a couple of the topical questions - starting with Round 1, Question 1!

People
  1. Who is taking over from David Tennant as the Doctor in Doctor Who?
  2. Which Labour Party leader died in office in May 1994?
  3. What was the nickname of the British air marshal, Sir Arthur Travers Harris?
  4. Which composer wrote the operettas The Student Prince and The Desert Song?
  5. Who was the second man to set foot on the moon?
  6. In 2004, which former talk show host launched his campaign to become an MEP for the UK Independence Party?
  7. Which TV comedy writer/performer wrote the stage plays Closer and Dealer’s Choice?
  8. Nancy Cartwright is best known as the voice of which cartoon character?
  9. Which TV scriptwriter created the Daleks?
  10. When Johnny Depp broke up with Winona Ryder, he had the tattoo ‘WINONA FOREVER’ on his arm partially erased. What does it read now?
Places
  1. Brisbane is the capital of which Australian state?
  2. What is the capital of the island of Barbados?
  3. In the play, where did Charley’s Aunt come from?
  4. A few years ago, residents of which English town found that their messages to internet chatrooms were being censored because the name of the town contained a rude word?
  5. Which US city is the capital of the state of New York?
  6. The city of Geneva in Switzerland is almost entirely surrounded by which other country?
  7. The playwright Alan Ayckbourn is particularly associated with the Stephen Joseph Theatre in which North Yorkshire town?
  8. In which Carmarthenshire town, thought to have inspired Under Milk Wood, did Dylan Thomas live from 1949 until his death in 1953?
  9. From which Nordic country does Lego originate?
  10. Which southern US city is known as ‘The Big Easy’?
Real Names
  1. William Pratt was the real name of which actor?
  2. Jim Moir is the real name of which comedian?
  3. Mary Ann Evans was the real name of which writer?
  4. Harry Webb is the real name of which singer?
  5. Marion Morrison was the real name of which actor?
  6. Samuel Langhorne Clemens was the real name of which writer?
  7. James Stewart was the real name of which actor (other than James Stewart!)?
  8. Annie Mae Bullock is the real name of which singer?
  9. Maurice Cole was the real name of which DJ?
  10. Ramon Estevez is the real name of which actor?
Numbers
  1. How many red balls are on the table at the start of a game of snooker?
  2. On which temperature scale is 273 degrees (roughly) equivalent to zero on the Celsius scale?
  3. How many degrees of separation supposedly connect us to every other person on Earth?
  4. What is the maximum number of colours needed to colour areas on a map so that no two adjacent areas are the same colour?
  5. How many yards are there in a furlong?
  6. What is the combined number of spots on opposite faces of a standard die?
  7. According to Greek mythology, how many Muses were there?
  8. In UK telephone numbering, what is the area code for Coventry?
  9. How many seconds are there in a 24-hour day?
  10. What is the total number of black and white keys on a full size piano keyboard?
Siblings
  1. Which actor is the brother of Edward Fox?
  2. Which actress is the sister of Warren Beatty?
  3. What was the surname of the twin brothers in the pop group Bros?
  4. Which playwright was the twin brother of playwright Anthony Shaffer?
  5. What was the first name of Elvis Presley’s twin brother who died at birth?
  6. In Roman mythology, who were the twin founders of Rome?
  7. Which actor is the brother of Charlie Sheen?
  8. Which actor is the brother of Ben Affleck?
  9. Which actress was the sister of Olivia de Havilland?
  10. Which former Governor of the state of Florida is the brother of ex-President George W. Bush?
Pot Luck
  1. The word PRESBYTERIANS is an anagram of the name of which pop star?
  2. In the TV series The Simpsons, what is the name of the newsreader and presenter of Eye on Springfield?
  3. The stage play Toad of Toad Hall is an adaptation of which children’s book?
  4. ‘Ailurophobia’ is the fear of what?
  5. The word EPISCOPAL is an anagram of the name of which soft drink?
  6. A ‘numismatist’ is a person who studies or collects what?
  7. Tapioca is obtained from the root of which plant?
  8. In Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, which of the Bennet girls is the eldest?
  9. The Pilgrims’ Way connects Winchester with which other cathedral city?
  10. What was the name of the man-eating plant in Little Shop of Horrors?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Here are some questions from a bar quiz I set about five years ago with the same format as Allan's - i.e. themed rounds, 10 questions per round. I think these are mostly fairly easy, but then I set them so I would. I've updated a couple of the topical questions - starting with Round 1, Question 1!
Did a little better with that one - got 8, 2, 7, 2, 8 and 4.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Okay then, since we're all chucking out full quizzes, here's one I did earlier (this is my standard format, you'll be pleased to know I've been doing the conundrum question since about 1997):

21st Feb 2008

Round 1

1. Which decimal coin replaced the shilling?
2. What's a fox's tail called?
3. Which popular drink is brewed from the leaves of the plant with the name Camellia sinensis?
4. What's the SI unit of electric current?
5. Which Israeli transsexual won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1998?
6. Chassé, fouetté and pirouette are all terms relating to which activity?
7. The building at 30 St Mary Axe in London is commonly known by the name of which vegetable? Who was the chief architect?
8. Which three of the home nations have qualified for this year’s Rugby League World Cup?
9. What are the six question categories in the Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit? Bonus point for correct colours.
10. CLAIRECUT

Inbetween round NTB question: What’s the highest break ever achieved in a professional snooker match?

Round 2

1. "The Monument of Light" is a 120m high spike in the centre of which European capital city?
2. The Parliament of which country is located in Sri Jayawardenapura-Kotte?
3. Which part of the brain gets its name from the Greek for seahorse?
4. Who's the current F1 world champion?
5. The name of which gaseous chemical element comes from the Greek for “new one”?
6. Which long-running TV show uses a theme tune called “Barnacle Bill”?
7. Which two sports take place on a piste?
8. What are the four numbers at top, bottom, left and right of a dartboard?
9. What the five nominees for Best Picture Oscar this year?
10. Which seven South American countries have stars on their flags?

Inbetween round NTB question: What’s the most consecutive days spent in space by a human?

Round 4

1. As opposed to felines, the phrase "no room to swing a cat" refers to which punishment device?
2. Which 1994 film, which spawned a TV series, was the first ever to have a website?
3. John Lennon once said "Women should be what and not heard?"
4. Which British band took its name from a South African football team?
5. Which 20th century US president was the first to have been born in a hospital?
6. Which artist created such characters as "The pig of happiness" and "the penguin of death"?
7. In which English city was the atom split for the first time in 1932? Which English City is also the American name for a bowler hat?
8. Which actor played Batman in the 60s TV series? He now voices which character in which animated TV series?
9. Who were the five members of Boyzone?
10. Which eleven islands are found in the Firth of Forth?

(Q10 is a bit harsh if you don't live around here!)

Guess question: (only one guess allowed)

The following people were all born in which decade of the 20th century?

10 points - Jimmy Binks (Yorkshire cricketer)
9 points - Johnny Hart (cartoonist)
8 points - Gordon Richards (racehorse trainer)
7 points - Pat Robertson (US evangelist)
6 points - Brian Glover (actor)
5 points - Fay Weldon (Author)
4 points - Dudley Moore (Actor)
3 points - Yuri Gagarin (cosmonaut)
2 points - Dame Shirley Bassey (singer)
1 point - Elvis Presley - (singer)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Allan, I've been setting quizzes for years, and have a large stock of quizzes that you might find useful. Swaps would be appreciated as it'll save me work next time I'm on duty!

Well done Ian - That's very good for an individual, albeit a Mastermind!

Any questions are welcome, even if they are loosely General Knowledge. There is no need for them to be themed, it's just that I find it easier to start with a theme and use that to search for questions. Variety is always appreciated by the teams participating, so your quizzes will be very welcome.

I can send you my quizzes if you give me an email address, as I will need to load the CD's for the listen to music rounds

Cheers!
I'm at cheekbones3 at yahoo dot co dot uk

I can't do the same with my music rounds, as I usually just stick the songs on a CD and cut them manually during the actual round. I have five quizzes in electronic format right now, any more I'll have to type them!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Here are some questions from a bar quiz I set about five years ago with the same format as Allan's - i.e. themed rounds, 10 questions per round. I think these are mostly fairly easy, but then I set them so I would. I've updated a couple of the topical questions - starting with Round 1, Question 1!...Cut quiz stuff...
That was easier I think, roughly 7, 8, 5, 8, 8, although I'd probably get more of the pseudonyms if I thought about it.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Actually did a little worse on Phil's percentage wise (8,8,8,9,8,8) than Allan's (8,8,9,8,10), although I made some good guesses on the latter. Will have a crack at yours now Ian!

Phil - Zabriskie Point is not right, although a good try. You are on the right lines with 10, but there is a more specific answer
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Bob De Caux wrote:Actually did a little worse on Phil's percentage wise (8,8,8,9,8,8) than Allan's (8,8,9,8,10), although I made some good guesses on the latter. Will have a crack at yours now Ian!

Phil - Zabriskie Point is not right, although a good try. You are on the right lines with 10, but there is a more specific answer
Is it Zorro? and #9 Gordon is number 4 in the Thomas The Tank Engine stories.

Thinking laterally for #6 - were they all into fishing, hence the gnomes and his associated fishing rod?
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Allan Harmer wrote: Is it Zorro? and #9 Gordon is number 4 in the Thomas The Tank Engine stories.

Thinking laterally for #6 - were they all into fishing, hence the gnomes and his associated fishing rod?
Right for 9. It's not Zorro (I think the film was called the Mask of Zorro), but you're probably driving at the right idea. 6 is a toughie. How about if I add a hookah pipe and a doll of the indian goddess Lakshmi to the mix? And Oscar Wilde.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote: Is it Zorro? and #9 Gordon is number 4 in the Thomas The Tank Engine stories.

Right for 9. It's not Zorro (I think the film was called the Mask of Zorro), but you're probably driving at the right idea. 6 is a toughie. How about if I add a hookah pipe and a doll of the indian goddess Lakshmi to the mix? And Oscar Wilde.
Zulu for 9 and Avi Cohen for 4
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Marc Meakin wrote:Zulu for 9 and Avi Cohen for 4
Great answers Marc, but it's not Zulu (although I'm sure that's a better film in most people's eyes). As for Avi Cohen, the question was more for people who believe football was invented by Sky in 1992...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Zulu for 9 and Avi Cohen for 4
Great answers Marc, but it's not Zulu (although I'm sure that's a better film in most people's eyes). As for Avi Cohen, the question was more for people who believe football was invented by Sky in 1992...
Zoolander and Ronnie Rosenthal then
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Bob De Caux wrote:You are on the right lines with 10, but there is a more specific answer
Is it that people won Oscars for playing all of them?
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Marc Meakin wrote:Zoolander and Ronnie Rosenthal then
Spot on this time, Marc!
Phil Reynolds wrote: Is it that people won Oscars for playing all of them?
And spot on, Phil! Got 30 of your 45 song lyrics. Sorry to say there are some truly horrendous songs in there ;)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Bob De Caux = The Human Boys' Book of Knowledge
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Derek Hazell wrote:Bob De Caux = The Human Boys' Book of Knowledge
I have been called a lot worse!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Zoolander
Spot on this time, Marc!
Care to explain for those of us still in the dark?
Got 30 of your 45 song lyrics. Sorry to say there are some truly horrendous songs in there ;)
And when you were on TV you seemed so nice. :shock:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Zoolander
Spot on this time, Marc!
Care to explain for those of us still in the dark?
Well question 4 is first Premiership footballers from their respective countries
Question 9 are highest grossing movies beginning with the respective letter of the alphabet (J for Jurrassic Park for example)
Got 30 of your 45 song lyrics. Sorry to say there are some truly horrendous songs in there ;)
And when you were on TV you seemed so nice. :shock:
I felt Bob was a little harsh on you, but you cannot defend the Jimmy Buffet song
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
:twisted:
Ok - I'm calling it a day at 22 - now I've realised it's out of 45 not 50 (duh) so nearly half.
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bob De Caux wrote:Fair enough Allan, that makes sense. Gonna take me a while to work through those Phil, but I like what I see! Here's some questions I've written which I've tried to "googleproof" as much as possible. They are tough though, maybe if people start doing too well...

Connections and series:

1) What links an Eastern European country, a South American river, a town in the Inner Hebrides and a city in Siberia?THE WOMBLES CHARACTERS
2) If Philippines is 5th, the UK is 4th, Nigeria 3rd and India 2nd, what is 1st? USA LARGEST ENGLISH SPEAKING POPULATIONS
3) What links a mythical Roman hero, a city in North West England, the father of nuclear physics and a rabbit's home?
4) Andrea Silenzi did it for Italy, Eric Cantona for France and Albert Ferrer for Spain. Who did it for Israel? RONNIE ROSENTHAL, PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALLERS
5) Who is the odd one out - Albert Einstein, Alfred Nobel, Niels Bohr, Isaac Newton, Glenn Seaborg?
6) What links Marlon Brando, Fred Astaire, Carl Gustav Jung, Karl Marx, Sir Robert Peel and a garden gnome? ALL ON SERGEANT PEPPER ALBUM COVER
7) If D is to Dark Knight, E is to ET and T is to Titanic, what is Z to? ZOOLANDER, HIGHEST GROSSING FILMS
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Marc Meakin wrote: Connections and series:

1) What links an Eastern European country, a South American river, a town in the Inner Hebrides and a city in Siberia?THE WOMBLES CHARACTERS
2) If Philippines is 5th, the UK is 4th, Nigeria 3rd and India 2nd, what is 1st? USA LARGEST ENGLISH SPEAKING POPULATIONS
4) Andrea Silenzi did it for Italy, Eric Cantona for France and Albert Ferrer for Spain. Who did it for Israel? RONNIE ROSENTHAL, PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALLERS
6) What links Marlon Brando, Fred Astaire, Carl Gustav Jung, Karl Marx, Sir Robert Peel and a garden gnome? ALL ON SERGEANT PEPPER ALBUM COVER
7) If D is to Dark Knight, E is to ET and T is to Titanic, what is Z to? ZOOLANDER, HIGHEST GROSSING FILMS
Wow. Good work Marc. All correct.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: 7) If D is to Dark Knight, E is to ET and T is to Titanic, what is Z to? ZOOLANDER, HIGHEST GROSSING FILMS
I don't get this.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: 7) If D is to Dark Knight, E is to ET and T is to Titanic, what is Z to? ZOOLANDER, HIGHEST GROSSING FILMS
I don't get this.
It's the highest grossing film beginning with that letter. Z is by some way the smallest due to Quantum of Solace, X Men 3 and King Kong sweeping up some of the other tricky letters. Y is also particularly weak if anyone wants to offer a suggestion.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Yentl?
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Young Frankenstein, You don't mess with the Zohan or maybe You only live twice
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote:I felt Bob was a little harsh on you, but you cannot defend the Jimmy Buffet song
:? The only Jimmy Buffett song I know is Margaritaville (and I couldn't quote any of the lyrics). Are you sure you've got as many of the answers as you think you have?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:Yentl?
Turns out it is You've got mail
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:I felt Bob was a little harsh on you, but you cannot defend the Jimmy Buffet song
:? The only Jimmy Buffett song I know is Margaritaville (and I couldn't quote any of the lyrics). Are you sure you've got as many of the answers as you think you have?
Sorry I meant Ruper Holmes but Jimmy Buffet has recorded (or sung it)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote:Sorry I meant Ruper Holmes but Jimmy Buffet has recorded (or sung it)
I can't help that. I expect lots of the songs in the list have been covered by all sorts of people who may not be to your (or my) taste. :roll:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Bob De Caux wrote: 5) Who is the odd one out - Albert Einstein, Alfred Nobel, Niels Bohr, Isaac Newton, Glenn Seaborg?
This was the only one I got immediately, I thought it was too easy to bother answering, but obviously not. Newton is the only one not to have a chemical element named after him.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Bob De Caux wrote:9) If Thomas is to 1, Edward to 2 and Henry to 3, who is to 4?
GORDON :D
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:9) If Thomas is to 1, Edward to 2 and Henry to 3, who is to 4?
GORDON :D
That was the only one that I got Kai - I spent hours reading the Thomas books to my son, Mike. Eventually, I used to start reading and after the first few lines he used to tell me the rest of the story, as he has such a good memory.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Allan, here are a couple of themed rounds for you. I'll post answers tomorrow.

Stuck in the middle

1) In curling, what is the name of the three concentric circles that the player is trying to land their shot in the middle of?
2) Who wrote the novel Middlemarch?
3) Which country contains the longest stretch of the equator?
4) Who was Prime Minister in the middle of Churchill's two terms?
5) Which grunge band had a hit with Midlife Crisis in 1992?
6) What are wrapped in Bacon to make "Angels on Horseback"?
7) Which country is entirely surrounded by South Africa?
8) Which Brazilian midfielder became the most expensive player in the world when he joined Real Betis in 1998?
9) What does MIDI stand for?
10) What is the longest US state name that can be typed just using the middle row of the keyboard?

Going for Gold

1) Which country was formerly known as the Gold Coast?
2) Who sailed round the world in the Golden Hind?
3) What is the name of Beyonce's character in Goldmember?
4) What is Gold's chemical symbol, Au, short for?
5) Complete the quintet - Gold, Sword, Utah, Omaha...
6) Jemima Goldsmith married which famous sportsman?
7) Who won a canoeing gold for GB in the 2008 Beijing olympics?
8) In Greek mythology, who went in search of the Golden Fleece?
9) In which country is the world's deepest gold mine?
10) Gold features in the name of a London tube station (Goldhawk Road). Name four other colours that feature in London tube station names (with examples!)
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Bob De Caux wrote:Allan, here are a couple of themed rounds for you. I'll post answers tomorrow.

Stuck in the middle

1) In curling, what is the name of the three concentric circles that the player is trying to land their shot in the middle of?
2) Who wrote the novel Middlemarch? George Eliot
3) Which country contains the longest stretch of the equator?
4) Who was Prime Minister in the middle of Churchill's two terms? Clement Attlee
5) Which grunge band had a hit with Midlife Crisis in 1992? Faith No More
6) What are wrapped in Bacon to make "Angels on Horseback"?
7) Which country is entirely surrounded by South Africa? Lesotho
8) Which Brazilian midfielder became the most expensive player in the world when he joined Real Betis in 1998? Denilson
9) What does MIDI stand for?
10) What is the longest US state name that can be typed just using the middle row of the keyboard? Alaska

Going for Gold

1) Which country was formerly known as the Gold Coast? Ghana
2) Who sailed round the world in the Golden Hind?
3) What is the name of Beyonce's character in Goldmember? Foxy Cleopatra
4) What is Gold's chemical symbol, Au, short for?
5) Complete the quintet - Gold, Sword, Utah, Omaha...
6) Jemima Goldsmith married which famous sportsman? Imran Khan
7) Who won a canoeing gold for GB in the 2008 Beijing olympics? Tim Brabants
8) In Greek mythology, who went in search of the Golden Fleece? Jason and the Argonauts
9) In which country is the world's deepest gold mine?
10) Gold features in the name of a London tube station (Goldhawk Road). Name four other colours that feature in London tube station names (with examples!) BLACKhorse Road, GREEN Park, WHITE City, REDbridge
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Could you have got ALASKA if you didn't have the keyboard in front of you? I couldn't.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Could you have got ALASKA if you didn't have the keyboard in front of you? I couldn't.
Probably. I'd have known that A is the only vowel not on the top row and then eliminated the alternatives (Arkansas, Alabama)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just thought that I would post 2 of my favourite quiz question

1) What is the lowest score you cannot get with 1 dart?

2) What is the shortest word you cannot get in Scrabble?