Game of the Week: The Return

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Game of the Week: The Return

Post by Charlie Reams »

As the once-popular Game of the Week poll has now lain dormant for the best part of 6 months, I thought it was about time we resurrected it. If anyone would like the fairly simple task of browsing for good games and filtering the other nominations, please let me know. Your reward is editorial unimpeachability and the casting vote. If multiple people want the job then we can organise a rota or similar. And I'm happy to write code to help you out, if there's something you particularly want. Who's keen?
Ian Dent
Devotee

Re: Game of the Week: The Return

Post by Ian Dent »

I will put myself forward for election.

I promise faithfully to round up the options for game of the week each and every friday. There will be an emphasis on contest rather than quality.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I would certainly second you, if we had anything like a proper election process.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I sixthed someone once, and that definitely wasn't conducted under a proper election process.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I'll turd you Ian.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Yeah Ian sounds enthusiastic. I would say don't emphasise contest over quality - give people a range of both close-contest games and high-scoring/impressive games. That way they can vote for which they think is game of the week.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The problem is that too many options dilutes the results. But I would definitely advise allowing people to vote for multiple options.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie - a submission page on the apterous site would be a good start. Prob just a field to paste game URL in that sends the URL and name of the user submitting it to Ian's e-mail address, unless you want to fully interact it with the site in terms of adding a [nominate this game for Game of the Week] link to all games conducted since, say, the most recent Monday.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Since I never have any good games, can I submit things such as Venison a la jus de cassis as my Game of the Week?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:I sixthed someone once, and that definitely wasn't conducted under a proper election process.
I did that once too. We were both very drunk and regretted it later.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Derek Hazell wrote:Since I never have any good games, can I submit things such as Venison a la jus de cassis as my Game of the Week?
*dies*
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good guy, Charlie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I would certainly second you, if we had anything like a proper election process.
Convention =/= Proper
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Gavin!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You know it!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You're kidding, Jason!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You do know it!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Oh yeah.

Will start this week.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Self-nom, sorry, but James' performance was equally notable. I could've lost with a score of 130, but luckily a keyboard-test conundrum favoured my strengths. Also my second score of 140!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Self-nom, sorry, but James' performance was equally notable. I could've lost with a score of 130, but luckily a keyboard-test conundrum favoured my strengths. Also my second score of 140!
So many 9s! Argh.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

26 points down after two rounds, Raccoon recovers well and spots a heartbreaking last-second crucial to win. Awesome game.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Here's an excellent short-form battle. Helps that I won.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 6894558574
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Ian Volante wrote:Here's an excellent short-form battle. Helps that I won.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 6894558574
Nah that game's rubbish, why are you putting it in here, pfft.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=135137

Lost this brilliant, nail-biting game to Michael before playing this superb one against Chris:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=135147

4 century scores, nice. But my rating has plummeted since Friday. :(
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

If I am to run this guys, you're not allowed to nominate a game you were involved in. I hope this will help cut down on boasting and also promote community spririt in that great games will have to be 'noticed' by other people on the site.

We'll start from yesterday.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Dent wrote:If I am to run this guys, you're not allowed to nominate a game you were involved in. I hope this will help cut down on boasting and also promote community spririt in that great games will have to be 'noticed' by other people on the site.

We'll start from yesterday.
Although I like the motivation, I think you'll find that a lot of good games are missed because no one notices them, and it just encourages people to brag in chat instead of on here. I'm not bothered by "boasting", it's only a game and people should be entitled to take pride in their achievements. And ultimately a nomination costs nothing because you can filter out the really good ones at the end.

Nevertheless, the second highest max game ever.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ian Dent wrote:If I am to run this guys, you're not allowed to nominate a game you were involved in. I hope this will help cut down on boasting and also promote community spririt in that great games will have to be 'noticed' by other people on the site.
Although I like the motivation, I think you'll find that a lot of good games are missed because no one notices them, and it just encourages people to brag in chat instead of on here. I'm not bothered by "boasting", it's only a game and people should be entitled to take pride in their achievements. And ultimately a nomination costs nothing because you can filter out the really good ones at the end.
I don't know if Ian mentioned this to you Charlie, but I thought you could at least add to the 'games are more noticeable to other people' thing by finding a home for "the last 3/4/5 games played" on the homepage somewhere. I would guess that people barely ever just go looking for random good games, so this would at least make recent games more noticeable as people logged in. You know, presuming we're not talking about much load on the database query and ting.

The whole boasting/not boasting thing is interesting though. Yes, without self-nomination there might not be too many games nominated and people might just end up saying to 3rd parties "nominate this game of mine, it can't go unnoticed" which is no better than the current situation really. But I get the feeling at the moment it's only the top players who would pay much attention to Game of the Week as they'll be making up the majority of contestants who will be nominating their own games.

Maybe one of those things you gotta run with for a few weeks and see how it affects things before perhaps deciding to switch back to the regular big-yourself-up style.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Can we have a Game of The Year poll for 2010? I appreciate that no-one wants to sift through 52 (or more) contenders, so maybe we could have a dozen or so selected GOTW winners to vote on.

I had a go myself and managed to narrow it down from 52 to 25, but I'm sure people will want to state a case for the other 27 that I've left out. I also know that others might be more decisive in wheedling out games than I am. All the dates below correspond with the winners on this page.

4 Jan
18 Jan
8 Feb
22 Feb
1 Mar
15 Mar
22 Mar
12 Apr
26 Apr
24 May
21 Jun
19 Jul
2 Aug
16 Aug
23 Aug
13 Sep
11 Oct
25 Oct
8 Nov
15 Nov
29 Nov
6 Dec
13 Dec
20 Dec
and self-aggrandisement to finish: 27 Dec
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:Can we have a Game of The Year poll for 2010? I appreciate that no-one wants to sift through 52 (or more) contenders, so maybe we could have a dozen or so selected GOTW winners to vote on.
I suggest letting the person who cast the most votes over the year compile a shortlist, and then we'll do a forum vote. I haven't checked who it is yet (hopefully not me).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Can we have a Game of The Year poll for 2010? I appreciate that no-one wants to sift through 52 (or more) contenders, so maybe we could have a dozen or so selected GOTW winners to vote on.
I suggest letting the person who cast the most votes over the year compile a shortlist, and then we'll do a forum vote. I haven't checked who it is yet (hopefully not me).
Hopefully it's Gillard because is anyone else going to bother?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
How about the people who have the maximum number of ostraca? Or are you referring to people who made the most noms?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
How about the people who have the maximum number of ostraca? Or are you referring to people who made the most noms?
Is this going ahead? With everyone on prosilver now voting figures should go up.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

BUMP for GOTY vote 2010. I'm still willing to narrow it down to a dozen or so contenders for a forum vote if that's OK with most people (I am one of the most ostraca-ised people after all). I could set that up at the end of this week if no-one else fancies adjudicating the final 12 or whatever.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."