Pop, pop, pop Master + THE CHAIN

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Pop, pop, pop Master + THE CHAIN

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:Grrr. By rights I should have got 30 in the first round today. I can't believe one of the bonus questions was a TRex one that I couldn't answer. 2nd round straight in with the first 12 points then crashed and burned with 15. Commodoresschmommodores. Who know anything other than 3 times a school disco lady?
Oh no that's easy
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Grrr. By rights I should have got 30 in the first round today. I can't believe one of the bonus questions was a TRex one that I couldn't answer. 2nd round straight in with the first 12 points then crashed and burned with 15. Commodoresschmommodores. Who know anything other than 3 times a school disco lady?
Oh no that's easy
Meakinschmeakin.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I got 9 + 21 today.
Then got to 3 Times a Lady and got stuck. I also thought of 'Lady', which was a minor top 5o hit as well, but I'm not sure if it has to be top 40?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Allan Harmer wrote:I got 9 + 21 today.
Then got to 3 Times a Lady and got stuck. I also thought of 'Lady', which was a minor top 5o hit as well, but I'm not sure if it has to be top 40?
As long as it charted at all.

I got Nightshift, and stalled...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Good one for me today...21 and 24. As for the 2nd bonus questions, No. 1's of the 70's - absolute sitters. I got my 3 BoM hits quicker than the contestant but am impressed that he didn't have to use 'S Y K 4 M'. Hey Allan, how quickly did you mutter 'Silver Machine' when Ken played it straight after the quiz?!
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:Good one for me today...21 and 24. As for the 2nd bonus questions, No. 1's of the 70's - absolute sitters. I got my 3 BoM hits quicker than the contestant but am impressed that he didn't have to use 'S Y K 4 M'. Hey Allan, how quickly did you mutter 'Silver Machine' when Ken played it straight after the quiz?!
haha Sue - you must be psycho ;) About 1 second in fact.

It was a good day for me too thanks to Rod Stewart and the bonuses (5/6)
Got 24 and 30 but could only get 'Save all your kisses for me' before he got all the ones I might have got.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Allan Harmer wrote: It was a good day for me too thanks to Rod Stewart and the bonuses (5/6)
Got 24 and 30 but could only get 'Save all your kisses for me' before he got all the ones I might have got.
Nice one Allan. I thought the bonuses were very friendly - there does seem to be a huge variation in the difficulty of the bonus questions, as anything about Number Ones is likely to be much more straightforward. It's also way easier to get the year with 3,2,1 than with 30,20,10. I guess it's just luck of the draw - would have to hope for it to be favourable if/when I do try to get on!

Oh, and two maxes today for the first time. 8-)
Last edited by Bob De Caux on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote: It was a good day for me too thanks to Rod Stewart and the bonuses (5/6)
Nice one Alan. I thought the bonuses were very friendly - there does seem to be a huge variation in the difficulty of the bonus questions, as anything about Number Ones is likely to be much more straightforward. It's also way easier to get the year with 3,2,1 than with 30,20,10. I guess it's just luck of the draw - would have to hope for it to be favourable if/when I do try to get on!

If whoever is setting the quiz wouldn't count the 70's as 'their era' they're not going to realise how easy something like Mouldy Old Dough is going to be. With any name the year question in the 70's I'll normally be spot-on or ONE YEAR OUT, regardless of the chart position (I sort of find myself picturing the label on my vinyl singles) but in the 90's and 00's I might be 5 years out or more cos it's such a random stab; often I've never even heard of all the artists.
Fool's top.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Sue Sanders wrote: If whoever is setting the quiz wouldn't count the 70's as 'their era' they're not going to realise how easy something like Mouldy Old Dough is going to be. With any name the year question in the 70's I'll normally be spot-on or ONE YEAR OUT, regardless of the chart position (I sort of find myself picturing the label on my vinyl singles) but in the 90's and 00's I might be 5 years out or more cos it's such a random stab; often I've never even heard of all the artists.
I think you're right to some extent Sue - a lot of the questions are easy or hard depending on whether you listened to a lot of music at the time or just learnt about songs by hearing them retrospectively and from reading lists. For example, I know way more about 90s music than 70s/80s and could name pretty much any obscure chart act from that decade, but I find Name That Year much easier for the 70s/80s where I just know lots of dispassionate facts about the songs rather than having any emotional attachment to them.

I'd say number ones are easy for either method though, as you'll either remember them being played to death at the time or they'll feature prominently when you look back at historical chart facts

Mouldy Old Dough is an awesome song though!
Last edited by Bob De Caux on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I agree http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFGfIAJRvo

I also remember Chicory Tip's Son of my father being a favourite of mine from the same era
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Bob De Caux wrote: I think you're right to some extent Sue - a lot of the questions are easy or hard depending on whether you listened to a lot of music at the time or just learnt about songs by hearing them retrospectively and from reading lists. For example, I know way more about 90s music than 70s/80s and could name pretty much any obscure chart act from that decade, but I find Name That Year much easier for the 70s/80s where I just know lots of dispassionate facts about the songs rather than having any emotional attachment to them.

I'd say number ones are easy for either method though, as you'll either remember them being played to death at the time or they'll feature prominently when you look back at historical chart facts
I don't listen to any radio stations where I'm going to be aware of even what IS number one though. As for remembering dates - regardless of whether I like them, songs from when I was young link me back to associations with times that are much more easy for me to pinpoint - like a sort of aural synasthesia (apologies for spelling) - sixth form common room, the long hot summer of 76, certain boyfriends, something I danced to with someone at a school disco - things that change quickly year on year so can be pinpointed to a year. I think it might be different if I had kids because it would link to their ever changing lives but after about 1990 it all becomes a bit samey for me - even living in the same house for 15 years. I guess it would never occur to me to 'learn' about previous eras because the only era worth mentioning prior to mine was the 60's and - well, I was born half way through the 60's and seems I've learned that by osmosis - like Abba lyrics!! - but the osmosis thing doesn't seem to work for later eras.
Bob De Caux wrote: Mouldy Old Dough is an awesome song though!
Great song - I have it on vinyl.
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:I agree http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFGfIAJRvo

I also remember Chicory Tip's Son of my father being a favourite of mine from the same era
Great song... I have it on vinyl. Should I throw a retro party sometime??

:D
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:

Yeah I'll bring a party 7 and some cheeselets
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:

Yeah I'll bring a party 7 and some cheeselets
Cool 8-) And I expect you don't live far away because Kent's just soooo central!
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Btw, Bob, are you around after the finals filming on the Tuesday... 17th? You could join the small band of revellers for a wee lager frenzy (or one sensible drink if you're filming the next day!) Don't worry - I won't molest you. ;)
Fool's top.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Sue Sanders wrote:Btw, Bob, are you around after the finals filming on the Tuesday... 17th? You could join the small band of revellers for a wee lager frenzy (or one sensible drink if you're filming the next day!) Don't worry - I won't molest you. ;)
Phew! It's safe for me to come up to Manchester then! ;) I'll be there on Monday and Tuesday nights (as long as I can get off work) and I'm sure I will be out for some drinks.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Btw, Bob, are you around after the finals filming on the Tuesday... 17th? You could join the small band of revellers for a wee lager frenzy (or one sensible drink if you're filming the next day!) Don't worry - I won't molest you. ;)
Phew! It's safe for me to come up to Manchester then! ;) I'll be there on Monday and Tuesday nights (as long as I can get off work) and I'm sure I will be out for some drinks.
Good-o . Rich, Dino, Derek and I are staying at the YHA which is about 500 yards from the Jury Inn - the contestants' hotel.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I equalled both the contestants today, possibly a first, but only got 2 in 10, unless I got an Abba song by accident.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:I equalled both the contestants today, possibly a first, but only got 2 in 10, unless I got an Abba song by accident.
Figaro - good/ Fernando - bad
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I equalled both the contestants today, possibly a first, but only got 2 in 10, unless I got an Abba song by accident.
I'd say both bad, but then I never got into 70s pop cheese...
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Cheesy 70's pop? Have you not seen BoM dancing? Class.
Take your pink antlers and go, Volante!
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Cheesy 70's pop? Have you not seen BoM dancing? Class.
Take your pink antlers and go, Volante!
Luckily I'm slightly too young to have enocuntered them, first Eurovision I properly remember is 1981, much better I'm sure!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:
Brilliant Bob! That is outstanding.

Let us know when you are going to apply post CD Finals - We' could get you lined up on MSN and ping our 3 in 10 answers to you, if needed.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:

Yeah I'll bring a party 7 and some cheeselets[/quote]

Cool 8-) And I expect you don't live far away because Kent's just soooo central![/quote]

I'll bring a few crates of Watney's Red Barrell and Double Diamond :D
I'm just in Hampshire so not that far away. Cheers!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ian Volante wrote:Luckily I'm slightly too young to have enocuntered them
Should this be in the new words thread?

enocunt n a person who talks interminably about their love of ambient music
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil Reynolds wrote:

Excellent :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:

The party is being relocated to Phil's house. :lol:
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Hey don't knock Brian Eno he is better than the Beano (according to Noel Fielding, via the red button)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:

The party is being relocated to Phil's house. :lol:
I will bring 'The Israelites' Phil can provide the oralites
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Erm...I could bring this. Because Allan did ask for it.
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=krk862
:oops:
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Sue Sanders wrote:Erm...I could bring this. Because Allan did ask for it.
LOL. Very good indeed! I'm looking for a lyricist/singer to work out some stuff for one or two of my instrumental tracks. Wanna have a listen to see if anything grabs ya? :D
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Erm...I could bring this. Because Allan did ask for it.
LOL. Very good indeed! I'm looking for a lyricist/singer to work out some stuff for one or two of my instrumental tracks. Wanna have a listen to see if anything grabs ya? :D

Well, I couldn't get any of those to open but, it's irrelevent. If you're being serious - you've mistaken my ability to be able to husky talk my way through a song that I'm hugely familiar with and have practiced many times, with singing. Now if I were to post my version of 'Hey Big Spender' from Saturday night's karaoke, you will rapidly withdraw the offer!
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Sue Sanders wrote:Well, I couldn't get any of those to open but, it's irrelevent. If you're being serious - you've mistaken my ability to be able to husky talk my way through a song that I'm hugely familiar with and have practiced many times, with singing. Now if I were to post my version of 'Hey Big Spender' from Saturday night's karaoke, you will rapidly withdraw the offer!
Oh well, no harm in asking. :P
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I have an idea (sorry Jason)
How about CO-REOKE night
Over to you (unless RB gets there first)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Good second round for me today...33
And no problem with 3 Clash songs
But fell for their trick in the first round - got my 'In Love With a German Filmstar' muddled with my 'Drowning in Berlin' and gave the wrong answer the 'Passions' without even being given the choices.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:Good second round for me today...33
But fell for their trick in the first round - got my 'In Love With a German Filmstar' muddled with my 'Drowning in Berlin' and gave the wrong answer the 'Passions' without even being given the choices.
21 and 30 I think, well done Sue, is that the first time you've beaten me? :)
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Ian Volante wrote:
15 and 21 for me today and 1/3 in 10 - London Calling
Well done Sue - Great score!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
15 and 21 for me today and 1/3 in 10 - London Calling
Well done Sue - Great score!

Thank you.

It is the first time I've beaten you, Ian. Which is a great waste of one of my finer talents ;)

Allan, did you see I have uploaded my rendition of Telephone Man? It's in a post above - Nov 9 11.50pm. You did ask!!
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

15 and 12 today - No surprises that I got no Jamelia songs :)

I've got a Charity pop quiz on Friday night - Any chance I can railroad Bob, Ian and Sue in as ringers? :D
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Allan Harmer wrote:15 and 12 today - No surprises that I got no Jamelia songs :)

I've got a Charity pop quiz on Friday night - Any chance I can railroad Bob, Ian and Sue in as ringers? :D

Missed the first round. 19 on the second (I awarded myself one point for 'Duncan' of Blue - a random guess - couldn't do a surname)

Ditto. Jamelia. Spent 3 seconds wondering if Jamelia is lad who wears the hats!!

I'm spoken for on Friday. Seeing the Spencer Davies Group and the Animals in Canterbury! Good luck
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Allan Harmer wrote:15 and 12 today - No surprises that I got no Jamelia songs :)

Outscored you, not sure by how much ;)

I'm not sure I can spare the travel time just for a quiz, as much as I like them! Maybe with more warning :)
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Ian Volante wrote:

Sorry Allan, would love to but I'm not free on Friday. Like Ian though, with more warning I'd definitely be keen!

Couple of 27's today. Just managed to get 3 Jamelia songs in time (Money, Superstar, Thank You), but it was tough going. Oh and Sue, you beat me yesterday (just!)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

Sorry Allan, would love to but I'm not free on Friday. Like Ian though, with more warning I'd definitely be keen!

Couple of 27's today. Just managed to get 3 Jamelia songs in time (Money, Superstar, Thank You), but it was tough going. Oh and Sue, you beat me yesterday (just!)
Hey Allan, we none of us had any intention of coming to your quiz on Friday but see how well we all pretended we did??

:lol:
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:

Hey Allan, we none of us had any intention of coming to your quiz on Friday but see how well we all pretended we did??

haha - I'm sure you will all have done virtually better than me. I know it's a bit far to come for a quiz - However, it might be a nice idea to have a CD forumite meet-up for such an event, or maybe a gig - It could be a good laugh.

BTW Sue - I wish I was coming to your event in Canterbury, too. Sounds like a great night, with two of my all-time favs. Will Alan Price be fronting The Animals?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Don't know- I'll tell you after the gig. Coincidently, The House of the Rising Sun' is on the radio right now. I sang backing vocals on it (well, me and 899 other John Otway fans!!!!) at the Abbey Road studios, some 7 or 8 years ago when we Otway fans hyped a record into the charts for him. I must confess, I'm going to Friday's gig because I booked 12 tickets for my aunts/uncles/cousins-once-removed at the theatre I occasionally work at, and got a 13th ticket free! I hope I'll recognise the songs on the night - I'm sure I will.

I'd be up for any sort of South of the country get together. :D

(You've been very casual with your quoting, there, Allan ;) )
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:Don't know- I'll tell you after the gig. Coincidently, The House of the Rising Sun' is on the radio right now. I sang backing vocals on it (well, me and 899 other John Otway fans!!!!) at the Abbey Road studios, some 7 or 8 years ago when we Otway fans hyped a record into the charts for him. I must confess, I'm going to Friday's gig because I booked 12 tickets for my aunts/uncles/cousins-once-removed at the theatre I occasionally work at, and got a 13th ticket free! I hope I'll recognise the songs on the night - I'm sure I will.

I was slightly surprised by the choice of Bunsen Burner for Otway's birthday present hit, but then you are a strange bunch!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Don't know- I'll tell you after the gig. Coincidently, The House of the Rising Sun' is on the radio right now. I sang backing vocals on it (well, me and 899 other John Otway fans!!!!) at the Abbey Road studios, some 7 or 8 years ago when we Otway fans hyped a record into the charts for him. I must confess, I'm going to Friday's gig because I booked 12 tickets for my aunts/uncles/cousins-once-removed at the theatre I occasionally work at, and got a 13th ticket free! I hope I'll recognise the songs on the night - I'm sure I will.

I was slightly surprised by the choice of Bunsen Burner for Otway's birthday present hit, but then you are a strange bunch!
Ha - I didn't vote for it. Actually, I know no Otway fan that did. My suspicion is that Otway liked that song best cos he'd just written it , so rigged it. Otway has never made a sound decision in his life, but whatever the song was, we were gonna hype it in. I bought 6 copies, my husband bought 7! Madness! My name's on the Abbey Road t-shirt so that's cool 8-)
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Didn't catch all of 1st round. 2nd round Phew - hits of the 50's or Country songs. Couple of stinkers to have to choose from. I scraped 15 with a guess at Jimmy Young because of the DJ clue, but he sounded nothing like I would have imagined.
I had 4 Kenny Rogers up my sleeves (tight fit!) assuming Islands in the Stream would count.

Yesterday - Cilla Black. Bread and butter to me, bring it on!!
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:Didn't catch all of 1st round. 2nd round Phew - hits of the 50's or Country songs. Couple of stinkers to have to choose from. I scraped 15 with a guess at Jimmy Young because of the DJ clue, but he sounded nothing like I would have imagined.
I had 4 Kenny Rogers up my sleeves (tight fit!) assuming Islands in the Stream would count.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit older than you Sue, so the 50's was great for me. I got 9 in R1 and 27 in R2, but confused Conway Twitty with Frankie Lane. Alma Cogan was famous for the song 'Sugar In tThe Morning' and luckily was one of my dad's favourites.

I got three Kenny Rogers easily in the time, also assuming Islands in The Stream - I also didnt say 'Ruby' before the contestant so ruled that one out. Otherwise, it wou;ld have been 4.

Unforunately, I only got two Cilla songs yesterday (AWHAH and YMW) after two crap rounds, 15 and 3
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

27 - Good call. My only reference to Alma Cogan is the line 'in the way that Mt. Everest is and Alma Cogan isn't' . It's from a Monty Python sketch; I have no idea what the sketch was about but it'll be in my mind either forever, or until that point I realise, fearfully, that yet one more thing that I could call a memory or knowledge has slipped from my grasp.

Yes, I do know you're older than me (by this time next year, or week, I might have forgotten that!) so your failure with Cilla Black is shameful!!! ;) Did you not watch her Saturday special in the 70's? She sang Step Inside Love and Something Tells Me Something's Gonna Happen Tonight pretty much once a month!!

Well, we'll keep plugging away. What's it all about, Alfie? :lol:
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:27 - Good call. My only reference to Alma Cogan is the line 'in the way that Mt. Everest is and Alma Cogan isn't' . It's from a Monty Python sketch; I have no idea what the sketch was about but it'll be in my mind either forever, or until that point I realise, fearfully, that yet one more thing that I could call a memory or knowledge has slipped from my grasp.
FWIW I think John Cleese said it as Monty Python's Professor of Logic at the end of the Holy Grail album transcipt here http://newnimproved.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... s-sex.html
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:Didn't catch all of 1st round. 2nd round Phew - hits of the 50's or Country songs. Couple of stinkers to have to choose from. I scraped 15 with a guess at Jimmy Young because of the DJ clue, but he sounded nothing like I would have imagined.

I got all the fifties ones cos they picked all number ones (got them all on mp3), otherwise I'd have been stuffed! Not sure about my scores though, crazy foo's kept interrupting.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:

I got all the fifties ones cos they picked all number ones (got them all on mp3), otherwise I'd have been stuffed! Not sure about my scores though, crazy foo's kept interrupting.
You wanna use them mighty antlers for some crazy foo gouging!
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Yes, I do know you're older than me (by this time next year, or week, I might have forgotten that!) so your failure with Cilla Black is shameful!!! ;) Did you not watch her Saturday special in the 70's? She sang Step Inside Love and Something Tells Me Something's Gonna Happen Tonight pretty much once a month!!

Well, we'll keep plugging away. What's it all about, Alfie? :lol:
Ha! Yes it is shameful. I did watch Cilla's Sat Special and Step Inside Love et all were all lurking in my brain but couldn't escape in time. It should have been easy as shucking peas! :oops: Eh! Calm down! worra lorra laffs!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I was telling Bob on Tuesday that my ideal 3 in 10 had come up on pop master that morning...The Sweet, for whom I can reel off 13 hits. I realise I'm confident they are singles rather than album tracks as I have many of them on 45rpm vinyl(been a fan since about 5 years old). I had been wondering if there is another artist I can do any better with and came up with David Bowie and the Beatles for whom I managed 15 and 20 but then I start to get hazy over singles v album tracks.

Was just wondering what other people's dream artist would be for say....9 in 30? . I would add The Monkees, The Bee Gees, Squeeze, The Stones, The Stranglers, The Clash.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Forgot to mention I got a 39 on Monday!

As for 9 in 30:

The Beatles
Depeche Mode
Rolling Stones
Madonna

I ran out pretty quickly there! I'm sure there are a few more, but I'm pressed for time right now :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:Forgot to mention I got a 39 on Monday!

As for 9 in 30:

The Beatles
Depeche Mode
Rolling Stones
Madonna

I ran out pretty quickly there! I'm sure there are a few more, but I'm pressed for time right now :)
Well done on 39. That'll keep that young whipper-snapper De Caux on his toes! Impressed on the DM 9 in 30. I dry up after...well, I was going to say Blue Monday but that's New Order anyway! I Just Can't Get Enough?? Is it true that they were born from the band 'Leyton Buzzards'? If so it was them that did the brilliantly titled 'Saturday Night Beneath a Plastic Palm Tree.

I make it my business to not let Madonna into my sphere of knowledge.
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

As for 9 in 30:

The Beatles
Depeche Mode
Rolling Stones
Madonna

Mine would be:
The Beatles
The Polce
Queen
Elvis Costello
The Smiths
Radiohead
Stevie Wonder
The Foo Fighters
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:I was telling Bob on Tuesday that my ideal 3 in 10 had come up on pop master that morning...The Sweet, for whom I can reel off 13 hits. I realise I'm confident they are singles rather than album tracks as I have many of them on 45rpm vinyl(been a fan since about 5 years old). I had been wondering if there is another artist I can do any better with and came up with David Bowie and the Beatles for whom I managed 15 and 20 but then I start to get hazy over singles v album tracks.

Was just wondering what other people's dream artist would be for say....9 in 30? . I would add The Monkees, The Bee Gees, Squeeze, The Stones, The Stranglers, The Clash.
Little Willie,Wigwam Bang and Love is like oxygeon
Still find it hard to believe that Taggart and Brian Connolly were brothers.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:

As for 9 in 30:

The Beatles
Depeche Mode
Rolling Stones
Madonna

Well done on 39. That'll keep that young whipper-snapper De Caux on his toes! Impressed on the DM 9 in 30. I dry up after...well, I was going to say Blue Monday but that's New Order anyway! I Just Can't Get Enough?? Is it true that they were born from the band 'Leyton Buzzards'? If so it was them that did the brilliantly titled 'Saturday Night Beneath a Plastic Palm Tree.

I make it my business to not let Madonna into my sphere of knowledge.
I think your trivia is correct! It's helps that I've got both their best of collections from a few years ago...

And later mentioned artists, yep Stevie Wonder I could do, and of course Paul McCartney/Wings.Metallica too, although they've not had that many singles, and probably GnR.