How Do You Get Your Countdown Fix?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

How Do You Watch Countdown?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:43 am

Live On C4 at 3:25pm, Monday-Friday
26%
1 Hour Later On 4+1 at 4:25pm, Monday-Friday
5%
On Early Morning Repeats, Thursday-Monday
No votes
Tape It By VCR
3%
Tape It By DVD Recorder
8%
Tape It By Sky+ Or Something Similar
37%
Watch It On 4OD Or Something Similar
16%
Other Method That I Haven't Thought Of
5%

Total votes: 38

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

How Do You Get Your Countdown Fix?

Post by James Robinson »

Since I talked about it a bit in yesterday's spoilers, I thought now was the time for the Countdown viewership poll. :idea:

When do you watch Countdown :?:

You have 1 week to vote. ;)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Re: How Do You Get Your Countdown Fix?

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I record it to DVD hard disk and watch it at 10pm most nights.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Well done James, for doing the right thing.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

If I'm at home at 3.25pm (which increasingly these days I am) I'll generally watch it 'live'. But I've also watched on 4+1, 4oD and VCR (though hardly ever the latter any more as 4oD is more convenient).
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I live in Swindon, but can't get Freeview (why????????????), so I cannot record anything on my hard disk recorder. As I am not keen on watching much TV on the computer, luckily for me Virgin provide the programme for me most days on their On Demand service, which comes free with my telephone and cable internet package. So, I am able to watch it as soon as I get in, with a revitalising cup of tea.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I record it on Windows Media Center on my PC and then watch it when I've got time.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I watch 'Live' as I am Queen of my own schedule - though if I'm travelling up to the Midlands or seeing a client I try to catch it on 4 on demand and try (usually unsucessfully) to 'slide' past all Jeff's bits. If I'm at home but popping out around that time, I'm still a VCR ludite too (and again - fast forward through tossface's bits)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
James Chapman

Post by James Chapman »

The wife and I watch together on Virgin V+ box after work but sometimes using Virgin CatchUp later in evening
if watching before kip time.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

I have it on series link on Sky+ so I never miss an episode, but watch live whenever possible.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I wait for someone to post the recap and then re-enact it using plasticine models of Rachel, Susie, Jeff, Me, and the two contestants. I am always in Dictionary Corner, and I tell excellent jokes and anecdotes to everyone. You should see the way Susie looks at me! Jeff hates me stealing the show and sometimes makes me eat plasticine after the show (makes me eat it, not the plasticine model of me). The two contestants are always Charlie Reams and Richard Brittain. RB has no beard and Charlie has only one leg as I ran out of plasticine.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Syringe.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Phil Reynolds wrote:If I'm at home at 3.25pm (which increasingly these days I am) I'll generally watch it 'live'. But I've also watched on 4+1, 4oD and VCR (though hardly ever the latter any more as 4oD is more convenient).
Similar for me, except that I don't have a VCR that does digital.
Am usually out a couple of afternoons till about 4, so rely on 4+1, and use 4oD if away.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote: The two contestants are always Charlie Reams and Richard Brittain. RB has no beard and Charlie has only one leg as I ran out of plasticine.
Well, you would have needed most of the plasticine for that massive cock that he attracts all the ladies with.
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:that massive cock
tl;dr
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:I wait for someone to post the recap and then re-enact it using plasticine models of Rachel, Susie, Jeff, Me, and the two contestants. I am always in Dictionary Corner, and I tell excellent jokes and anecdotes to everyone. You should see the way Susie looks at me! Jeff hates me stealing the show and sometimes makes me eat plasticine after the show (makes me eat it, not the plasticine model of me). The two contestants are always Charlie Reams and Richard Brittain. RB has no beard and Charlie has only one leg as I ran out of plasticine.
Pretty much the same as this except that I have two plasticine models of you, one of which is life-sized and is used to move the other models. What a coincidence.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I have to watch on 4+1. My bus doesn't get me in til quarter past 4 :(
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

As I don't think anyone on here could have missed me mentioning by now, I don't bother with a TV licence (when I had one the only programme I wanted to watch was Countdown, and £140 a year to watch Countdown 'live' seemed a bit much, plus now I don't end up just sitting in front of the telly in my free time), so I watch it on 4oD, usually whenever I have my next break after it's been uploaded. I think I prefer it this way anyway, since I rarely enjoy the DC guest's spot, and usually skip the contestant introductions too. I should time how long it takes me to watch an episode online at some point.

(man, I am such a cool dude)
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Watch on TV if I happen to be home at the time (maybe 5 episodes per series). 4OD for everything else.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I'm hardly ever in when it's on, so I usually Sky+ it. I often cook/eat/wash up while it's on 9the beatuy of having an open-plan flat). I usually watch it live on Thursday though, which is quite handy as I go to Scrabble club that evening, so it's like a warmup.

Incidentally, does Sky+ have a LOT of bugs, or have I got a dud box? Subtitles hardly ever work on recorded shows, the sound can drop out of place when fast-fowarding (usually works again if I pause and unpause it), and program descriptions are often wrong.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm (so far) the only person who takes the peculiarly 20th century VCR route. I did have a hard disk recorder that my brother gave me but it rarely worked and made me SEETHE WITH A BOILING RAGE, so I got rid of it and went back to the video.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I haven't been watching Countdown that much recently - either too busy or a bit fed up with it. Watched Friday's game though and enjoyed it so I think it does you good to take a break now and then. I am not really sure how the Countdown team doesn't get a little bored with five shows a day but I suppose every job has its grind and its reward.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

JimBentley wrote:I'm (so far) the only person who takes the peculiarly 20th century VCR route. I did have a hard disk recorder that my brother gave me but it rarely worked and made me SEETHE WITH A BOILING RAGE, so I got rid of it and went back to the video.
I'm a big VCR fan. I have two tellies with them in-built and there are two further VCRs around the place. Use my main one frequently and I programme them up to capacity before going on holiday.
Fool's top.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David O'Donnell wrote: I am not really sure how the Countdown team doesn't get a little bored with five shows a day but I suppose every job has its grind and its reward.
Tired yeah, but not bored, never in a million years. Love every minute of my job and i think most of the team do too - and Jeff and Rachel absolutely love it also. It might soundy cheesy, but i think i have the best job in the world.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

It doesn't sound cheesy on this forum since there are about 500 people here who'd swap places with you tomorrow. I love playing the game and watching the show but the practising I did necessitated a break afterwards. On a side-note, I would recommend a short break, to anyone preparing for the show, now and again: it's amazing how much it can invigorate you and help your play.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

David O'Donnell wrote:there are about 500 people here who'd swap places with you tomorrow
Why wait til then?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kai Laddiman wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:there are about 500 people here who'd swap places with you tomorrow
Why wait til then?
[Joke formulaic response]
Because he is [insert something awful] tonight!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Martin Smith wrote:I'm hardly ever in when it's on, so I usually Sky+ it. I often cook/eat/wash up while it's on 9the beatuy of having an open-plan flat). I usually watch it live on Thursday though, which is quite handy as I go to Scrabble club that evening, so it's like a warmup.

Incidentally, does Sky+ have a LOT of bugs, or have I got a dud box? Subtitles hardly ever work on recorded shows, the sound can drop out of place when fast-fowarding (usually works again if I pause and unpause it), and program descriptions are often wrong.
It sounds to me as if you've got a dud there. I need subtitles too and often fast forward through breaks but never get any of the problems you've mentioned.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

So, no countdown on 4od today as yet. Given this is only the third day i've had access to it, i'm assuming this isn't unusual. Is there a definite time it goes up by or that? Also, does anyone subscribe to sky sports to watch it online per chance? Assuming this is possible. Must go check it out. Determined not to get d'telly again.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well, the poll's done and dusted and it seems that the majority of you watch it after taping it on Sky+ or something similar.

I was quite surprised at the number who said they watched it live, I must say. I thought it was going to be much lower than people who recorded. (Well, I suppose it is if you add up all the different variants of the recordings.)

Thanks to everyone who voted.

P.S. Can the 2 people who voted for "Other Method" either reply or PM me what it is that you do, as I'm very intrigued at what it is.

EDIT: Obvious error sorted.
Last edited by James Robinson on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote:(Well, I suppose it is if you all the different variants of the recordings.)
You accidentally the whole bottle?
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

James Robinson wrote: P.S. Can the 2 people who voted for "Other Method" either reply or PM me what it is that you do, as I'm very intrigued at what it is.

One of them hears strange voices inside his/her head. The other one is possibly trying to wind you up.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think that it can be downloaded using bittorrent (or similar) from Uknova
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT