Countdown in Coronation Street

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Countdown in Coronation Street

Post by Julie T »

Did Damian perhaps make a deal with the Coronation Street writers (now that Countdown is filmed in the same studios as Corrie) to get Steve MacDonald to voice the Countdown clock tune in Monday's Corrie?

Will we maybe see future Corrie episodes where Emily Bishop sits in front of Countdown to keep her grey cells active, or maybe Rita Sullivan, now that she's yet again considering retiring?

We should be told! :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Re: Countdown in Coronation Street

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Maybe it will be the reverse, and we'll see Kirk having a round of darts or David coming home to see me squiring Tina on the kitchen table. Damian, make this happen.
Last edited by Jeffrey Burgin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Do you mean Michelle?
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

My bad, got confused between Tina and the actress who plays her, Michelle Keegan. Michelle would catch it nicely as well incidentally.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I was hoping you'd made an informed choice.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

About a year ago Betty said to someone in the Rovers that her son Gordon (who I don't think has ever been shown on screen) had applied to go on Countdown.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Douglas Wilson wrote:About a year ago Betty said to someone in the Rovers that her son Gordon (who I don't think has ever been shown on screen) had applied to go on Countdown.
Betty's son is Gordon Clegg, who was played by Bill Kenwright, who is better known as the impresario and Chairman of Everton. Bill hasn't been seen regularly on the Street for many years, although I think he has made the odd cameo appearance
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Ah Coronation Street - what a programme. Was pretty star struck when I saw some of the cast in the canteen during recordings. :D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A couple of weeks ago my other half (who currently works in Manchester several days a week) was returning to his car which was parked in Great John Street by the Granada studios, and happened to notice that, looking past the southern corner of the main studio building, you can just see the sign outside Dev's corner shop. This made him unfeasibly excited.

(I just checked the above on Google Streetview and you can indeed see the sign, along with the rear of the viaduct facade. More amusingly, I also checked it out on Google Earth and someone has modelled the terrace on the northern side of the Street so you can go and wander past the Rover's in 3D.)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Darren Carter wrote:Ah Coronation Street - what a programme. Was pretty star struck when I saw some of the cast in the canteen during recordings. :D
Yeah, us people in the waiting area, just the other side of the canteeen only got a sneak peak inside the canteen.

First time I went I saw Bill Roache (Ken Barlow) eating a salad and Katherine Kelly (Becky Grainger) getting something from the canteen too, I seem to recall she won an award the previous weekend, so she seemed quite chirpy.

I should say I haven't watched Corrie for a couple of years or so. EastEnders is the soap to watch. And even though I'm a proud Yorkshireman, I can't stand Emmerdale! :x
James Chapman

Post by James Chapman »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:About a year ago Betty said to someone in the Rovers that her son Gordon (who I don't think has ever been shown on screen) had applied to go on Countdown.
Betty's son is Gordon Clegg, who was played by Bill Kenwright, who is better known as the impresario and Chairman of Everton. Bill hasn't been seen regularly on the Street for many years, although I think he has made the odd cameo appearance
Bill Kenwright indeed played 'My Gordon' and returned for a special some years ago but sadly was recast for Gordon's most recent appearance as Bill is rather busy with work.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Darren Carter wrote:Ah Coronation Street - what a programme. Was pretty star struck when I saw some of the cast in the canteen during recordings. :D
Oooh, I'm definitely applying to go on Countdown, then, when I feel that my children can spare me for long. 8-)

Not that I'm expecting octochampdom, I'm not that brilliant, but it wouldn't be right to make the commitment if you couldn't see it through, should that happen.
Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Maybe it will be the reverse, and we'll see Kirk having a round of darts or David coming home to see me squiring Tina on the kitchen table. Damian, make this happen.
Tina is with Jason, now, Jeffrey. Mind you, David is so psycho, he'd probably be more bothered!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

James Robinson wrote:
Yeah, us people in the waiting area, just the other side of the canteeen only got a sneak peak inside the canteen.

First time I went I saw Bill Roache (Ken Barlow) eating a salad and Katherine Kelly (Becky Grainger) getting something from the canteen too, I seem to recall she won an award the previous weekend, so she seemed quite chirpy.
I saw David Platt, David's friend Graham, Joe McIntyre, Teresa Morton and Roy Cropper (Leicestershire Legend!). Was disappointed, however, not to see Tina, Michelle and Rosie......
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

We see them all the time in the canteen, the Corry crew. A few have been over and asked if they could be DC guest on the show.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

D Eadie wrote:We see them all the time in the canteen, the Corry crew. A few have been over and asked if they could be DC guest on the show.
You mean like Sue Cleaver? Or was she on in Leeds?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

D Eadie wrote:We see them all the time in the canteen, the Corry crew. A few have been over and asked if they could be DC guest on the show.
I love the silent insinuation that the answer was a polite but firm "No" - at least I hope so. Soaps. Pah. Television at its worst.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Darren Carter wrote:
She was the last new guest in Leeds.

The only recent Corrie DC guests that I can think of are Brian Capron & Andrew Sachs, neither of course were working on Corrie at the time they did it. Although Sue was and still is I believe.
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Post by Niall Seymour »

James Robinson wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:
She was the last new guest in Leeds.

The only recent Corrie DC guests that I can think of are Brian Capron & Andrew Sachs, neither of course were working on Corrie at the time they did it. Although Sue was and still is I believe.
Wendy Peters also.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Niall Seymour wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Wendy Peters also.
Wendy Peters was great on word game shows, in particular the revamped (now defunct again) 'Call My Bluff'. She's totally opposite to the daft, pikey character, Cilla, that she used to play in Corrie.

The late Wendy Richards, who played Pauline in Eastenders (not a show I watch - far too gloomy for me), was also excellent on shows like 'Call My Bluff' and 'Just a Minute'.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Peter Barlow's been on Countdown.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Derek Hazell wrote:Peter Barlow's been on Countdown.
:lol:

Derek, did you put in all the characters names into the Countdown wiki search engine till one matched?
That's dedication to to making us laugh! :mrgreen:

Apparently, according to one of the lifeguards at our health club, some Eastenders actors were swimming there today, but may have left just before me and my kids had our swim. As I don't watch Eastenders, I wouldn't have known whether he was talking b***ocks or not.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

The funniest person I have seen when I've caught bits of Coronation Street won't be appearing in Countdown's Dictionary Corner, as Blanche actress Maggie Jones has died.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Derek Hazell wrote:The funniest person I have seen when I've caught bits of Coronation Street won't be appearing in Countdown's Dictionary Corner, as Blanche actress Maggie Jones has died.
Sorry to hear this, as Blanche was one of my favourite characters on Corrie.

RIP Maggie!
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I am genuinely gutted, Corrie will never be the same again.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

This clip is absolutely brilliant.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote:This clip is absolutely brilliant.
Haha yes, funny. Doesn't the little boy turn the TV off with the back of his hand and then doesn't Blanche look at her wrist but no watch can be seen.

Edit: tasteless? this.Dunno but Ken's face made me laugh!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Haha yes, funny. Doesn't the little boy turn the TV off with the back of his hand and then doesn't Blanche look at her wrist but no watch can be seen.
Oh yes, great observational skills! You'd be good in the memory round on Krypton Factor. Almost looks like the kid was using his elbow, and I think cunning women like that just look at their wrist for the affect, watch or otherwise.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote: Oh yes, great observational skills!
Thanks. I should apply for a job watching out for continuity errors.
Derek Hazell wrote: just look at their wrist for the affect, watch or otherwise.
You mean "effect". [/Reynolds].

Edit: And after the little boy has turned off the TV you hear a further click, but no idea where from.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

The actress who played Blanche, Maggie Jones, has died.

I am very sorry to hear this, she was a great actress, and had all the best lines.

The show will never again be quite the same without her.

R.I.P. Maggie :cry:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

AnnieHall wrote:The actress who played Blanche, Maggie Jones, has died.
They sure replaced her quickly. And with an actress of the same name. Creepy.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Where did you read tha? I don't believe it, they could never replace Maggie. Blanche must be "killed off" on Corrie with the dignity she deserves.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Charlie Reams wrote:They sure replaced her quickly. And with an actress of the same name. Creepy.
It seems to be true, Charlie. See here.
AndyB2007

Post by AndyB2007 »

Talking about Coronation Street, Charlie Lawson (Jim McDonald) was in Harry's Game, the 1982 ITV drama based on Gerard Seymour's book (he played Seamus Duffryn-could be wrong on the surname)- it was shown last night on Sky Arts 1. It also starred a pre-Casualty Derek Thompson, and it's theme song by Clannad was later adapted by the British dance DJ/producer Nick Bracegirdle, alias Chicane, for his 1999 hit 'Saltwater'.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Derek Hazell wrote:The funniest person I have seen when I've caught bits of Coronation Street won't be appearing in Countdown's Dictionary Corner, as Blanche actress Maggie Jones has died.
So sad. Definitely one of the funniest characters in the Street. RIP Maggie (not that Canadian cat or Mrs T http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/ ... r_thatcher).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:They sure replaced her quickly. And with an actress of the same name. Creepy.
It seems to be true, Charlie. See here.
No, that's the first one.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Julie T wrote:Did Damian perhaps make a deal with the Coronation Street writers (now that Countdown is filmed in the same studios as Corrie) to get Steve MacDonald to voice the Countdown clock tune in Monday's Corrie?

Will we maybe see future Corrie episodes where Emily Bishop sits in front of Countdown to keep her grey cells active, or maybe Rita Sullivan, now that she's yet again considering retiring?

We should be told! :D
Norris Cole and Mad Mary watching an episode along with Rita and Emily
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover