Classic Editions.

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
D Eadie
Devotee

Classic Editions.

Post by D Eadie »

Regarding the petition further down the board, it seems it has been noticed by C4 and they have asked me to compile a list of 20 classic editions, with a view to seeing if they can be uploaded onto 4oD. (No guarantees, it's not definite it will happen but we need to start somewhere).

Given that it's you guys who have asked for this, would anyone care to submit a suggestion for a classic show?

I've obviously gone for Julian Fell's high score, Saldahna the boy-wonder and the Supreme Final, but that leaves 17 spaces.

We need to feature all the presenters, not just RW.

Fire away if you wish. Need to really get this wrapped up by 4pm today if poss, so if not enough suggestions by then i'll chuck my own ideas in. Just thought you folk may as well say what you want, given that you asked for them.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Classic Editions.

Post by Jon Corby »

If you need a Lynam show, I nominate the epic Conor Travers - Paul Howe semi-final.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Surely the very first edition should be in there. Also maybe Carol's last one, although if there were to be only one episode with Charlie in, I'd prefer to see the Corby/Reams semi-final preserved for posterity. (I initially wrote just 'semi' and then realised the predictable sniggers that would follow.)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Surely the very first edition should be in there. Also maybe Carol's last one, although if there were to be only one episode with Charlie in, I'd prefer to see the Corby/Reams semi-final preserved for posterity. (I initially wrote just 'semi' and then realised the predictable sniggers that would follow.)
Do you really think so? That's suprising to me, i thought the first ever edition was pretty bad. It was a landmark show, but not sure what was so classic about it, other than RW's opening lines.
Carol's last show, again, a notable show in terms of the history of Countdown, but as a stand-alone edition it doesn't strike me as being anything special, but i'm not here to argue, merely take down a list of requests.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

So the great Thomas Wood's thread wasn't so pointless after all then.

As we have seen, there are all kinds of reasons why an episode can be regarded as a classic. The most popular reason would probably be because it was a close game, or a game with a particular record as in some of Charlie's good choices. To another person a game might be classic because it was very funny (thread here), because the DC guest was great, or indeed because the contestants were so lovely. :)
Once you start thinking, it becomes harder to narrow them down to 20. I missed most of Des Lynam's episodes, so any of those would be fine by me. Also very early episodes, as most of us were too young to remember or even see it back then, and it would be interesting to see how the show evolved and became less awkward.
It might also be nice to include a Michael Wylie episode as a kind of tribute to the man who produced so many shows, and they would also have the draw of featuring long unseen appearances from the iconic Kenneth Williams.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Derek Hazell wrote:So the great Thomas Wood's thread wasn't so pointless after all then.
Not entirely, it will probably prove to be very worthwhile.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I'd agree with the Corby - Reams game.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'd rather see the first series final than the first episode, which has been reshown and was indeed fairly unremarkable.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

I was hoping to keep my 100th post for something memorable (fat chance, I know).

Curious that at least three episodes already mentioned have been posted recently on Youtube and presumably seen by most of us. It would seem a shame to "waste" precious slots on these. I'm referring to the first ever, Carol's last, and the Supreme Final. The same comment also applies to Scott Mearns's finals which I imagine might get some requests.

I'd like to see the Supreme semis (the quarters as well might be a bit greedy). When I saw the Supreme final recently I actually found it very moving. There was a strong sense of an entire generation reaching a perfect conclusion, and everyone in the room being fully aware of it.

Also some debuts or early games of notable players would be good. It's always interesting to see what the greats were like before they knew they were going to be great. How did this happen, for example?

http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2559

It might be fun to see a programme when Carol was absent (I have no memory of any of these).

And of course the Pete Cashmore special ;)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

So, to summarise so far.........27 years of shows, 20 classic editions to select, yet more than half of the nominations so far feature C4C forumites from the present day.

Gallen, Howe, Corby, Reams, Bevins, Travers, David O'Donnell............loads of which is already on You Tube.

Hmm.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:So, to summarise so far.........27 years of shows, 20 classic editions to select, yet more than half of the nominations so far feature C4C forumites from the present day.

Gallen, Howe, Corby, Reams, Bevins, Travers, David O'Donnell............loads of which is already on You Tube.

Hmm.
It's almost like there's some correlation between being on here and being quite good!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

D Eadie wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Surely the very first edition should be in there. Also maybe Carol's last one, although if there were to be only one episode with Charlie in, I'd prefer to see the Corby/Reams semi-final preserved for posterity. (I initially wrote just 'semi' and then realised the predictable sniggers that would follow.)
Do you really think so? That's suprising to me, i thought the first ever edition was pretty bad. It was a landmark show, but not sure what was so classic about it, other than RW's opening lines.
Carol's last show, again, a notable show in terms of the history of Countdown, but as a stand-alone edition it doesn't strike me as being anything special, but i'm not here to argue, merely take down a list of requests.
I'm not suggesting that the very first show and Carol's last one were anything special as Countdown games, simply that there are other criteria for judging what makes a particular edition of the show "a classic". If you're looking at this simply as an opportunity to collect the most epic scoring and/or closely fought games, then fine; but I think, to the average viewer, what makes a particular edition of Countdown special also springs from other factors such as the personalities involved and the cameraderie between the players. The latter is the reason why I suggested the Corby/Reams match. That hug is unique in the history of the show and I imagine a lot of regular viewers remember it even if they can't recall what the occasion was or who was involved.

But these are just my opinions, and 20 is a very small number to whittle everyone's favourites down to, so meh.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Also anything with Scott Mearns or Harvey Freeman.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

He doesn't seem to pop his head in here very often, and probably won't see this thread in time, so if you haven't already done so I suggest canvassing Mike Brown for his opinions might be a good idea.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:So, to summarise so far.........27 years of shows, 20 classic editions to select, yet more than half of the nominations so far feature C4C forumites from the present day.

Hmm.
Good point Damian. Also, the older the show the less chance you have of having to see yourself onscreen again.

Okay then, how about the episode with C4C's earliest ever forumite Andy Thomson? It also features Clive Freedman, which makes it notable in another respect too.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Clive Brooker wrote:And of course the Pete Cashmore special ;)
Yeah, we should have the 2 unshown specials as choices, since obviously no-one really knows much about them. Well I actually saw one of them, since that was on the day I did my special.

We should also have the Richard v Carol special, since that keeps being mentioned and no-one seems to have it anywhere.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Hmm.
It's almost like there's some correlation between being on here and being quite good!
Or indeed some correlation between the current generation thinking their time is the best and extreme narcissism.

Nobody has mentioned Kevin Fisk or Will Downing. They WERE classic.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

James Robinson wrote:
Yeah, we should have the 2 unshown specials as choices, since obviously no-one really knows much about them. Well I actually saw one of them, since that was on the day I did my special.

We should also have the Richard v Carol special, since that keeps being mentioned and no-one seems to have it anywhere.

What 2 unshown specials?

Please tell. I have no idea what you are referring to, unless it's the Harry Peters story?
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:Nobody has mentioned Kevin Fisk or Will Downing. They WERE classic.
Charlie, do you have a backdoor (ooh er etc.) link to Will D. Downing's Wiki page, as Howard is still working on the problem of pages with initials being inaccessible.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:He doesn't seem to pop his head in here very often, and probably won't see this thread in time, so if you haven't already done so I suggest canvassing Mike Brown for his opinions might be a good idea.

No Phil, i wasnt dissing your idea about the first show, i was just suprised by it. Like you said, what defines 'classic' is down to individual interpretation. It's not my call, i have access to all the archives here and can see whatever i want to (more or less), so it's not for me to say, it's your shout.

Mike has a 'classic' page on his website, but copying from that just bypasses those who put the idea forward / signed the petition etc. 80 people put their name to it last time i looked, so surely they must have some idea as to what they want to see :?:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote: Or indeed some correlation between the current generation thinking their time is the best and extreme narcissism.

Nobody has mentioned Kevin Fisk or Will Downing. They WERE classic.
Sure, but obviously none of us can recommend episodes we don't know anything about, and most of the recent classic episodes feature people from around here for obvious reasons. I'll leave the older stuff to you and MB.

I think James is referring to the specials between Steve Fisher/John Ashmore and Joyce Cansfield/Dixie Baird, which were recorded with the other specials but never broadcast.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

D Eadie wrote:What 2 unshown specials?
The ones at the bottom of this page I think.

http://www.thecountdownpage.com/specials.htm

I'd also vote for John Davies v Jerry Humphreys.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Philip Jarvis wrote:How about this one?

http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_1587

There will be nothing featuring me anywhere, either as contestant or corner. No thanks. :oops:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

D Eadie wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

What 2 unshown specials?

Please tell. I have no idea what you are referring to, unless it's the Harry Peters story?
OK Damian, you remember there were those 25 specials recorded in 2002/3. There was mine with Lucy Guile, Julian Fell v Chris Wells, etc.

Well, 2 of them were never broadcast presumably because of Richard's death in 2005. One was done the day I did my special. I'll have to double check who was involved.

Charlie has just put the names up.

And another thing, what's the Harry Peter's story anyway :?:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Nobody has mentioned Kevin Fisk or Will Downing. They WERE classic.
Charlie, do you have a backdoor (ooh er etc.) link to Will D. Downing's Wiki page, as Howard is still working on the problem of pages with initials being inaccessible.
HTH
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
HTH

You need to see this edition to believe it.
Was spectacular stuff. Not the gameplay, but the rest of it, I remember most of the gallery spent the entire 30 minutes laughing very hard.

PS - never realised those 2 specials were not shown. Have all the details here in the office, scores, rounds etc. Both great games, shame you'll never see them :mrgreen:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote: HTH
Thanks Charlie.
D Eadie wrote:You need to see this edition to believe it.
Was spectacular stuff. Not the gameplay, but the rest of it, I remember most of the gallery spent the entire 30 minutes laughing very hard.
That's reason enough for me, if only to see a different definition of "funny" to the oft-mentioned Mikey Lear frivolity.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Okay, if we're going pre-2003...

Freeman/Trace is an absolute must. End of. I'll also agree with the first ever grand-final, and Mark Nyman's 79 in his QF is also surely worthy of mention?

Wayne Summers vs. his dad if only for the novelty value.

Any Morrissey/Saldanha game.

Scott Mearns's debut?

Wills/Rattle.

And on a wholly narcissistic note (and why not?) me vs. Paul Ryan, Series 46 SF1. Still reckon it ranks as one of the best ever. :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

D Eadie wrote:

There will be nothing featuring me anywhere, either as contestant or corner. No thanks. :oops:
Why? You used to give me the hots when you were in Dict. Corner.
;)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Sue Sanders wrote:
D Eadie wrote:

;)

Don't be ridiculous.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

D Eadie wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
;)

Don't be ridiculous.
It was a spelling mistake - she meant the trots.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Given all the comments on here about people having been on before would it not be worth seeing Kirk's first show? Is it true Damian made him cry?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: HTH
Thanks Charlie.
That's reason enough for me, if only to see a different definition of "funny" to the oft-mentioned Mikey Lear frivolity.

Funny, because he was a one-off character. Opened up his first selection with "Vowel please, CV", and persisted to call her CV for the entire show. Nothing to cause you to laugh with this, but slightly odd. He didn't write anything down. He came armed with dozens of small fingernail-sized pieces of paper, with the vowels and consonants written on them. When Carol put up a letter, he'd frantically search for that letter from his piles of paper, and so on until he had 9 pieces in front of him. When the clock started, he spent 30 seconds frantically rearranging all the 9 little bits of paper, hoping (i guess) a word would sort of fall into place before his very eyes, obviously with disastrous consequences. When the round was over, he frantically had to put back the 9 pieces of paper into their original piles on his desk, so the whole show was more or less chaotic from his point of view. Richard quizzed him as to what would happen firstly, if he sneezed during the game, then enquired what he proposed to do if he had the same word as his opponent, ie would he hand RW 9 little bits of paper and say "i had exactly the same". What made it special for me, at least, was that Will was 100% serious and didn't for one minute think what he was doing was absurd. I also think RW accused him of having St Vitas Dance at one point. I think what i've written doesn't do it justice, it has to be seen really. Certainly the bizarrest edition i've ever witnessed.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Given all the comments on here about people having been on before would it not be worth seeing Kirk's first show? Is it true Damian made him cry?
Of course it's not.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:Funny, because he was a one-off character. Opened up his first selection with "Vowel please, CV", and persisted to call her CV for the entire show. Nothing to cause you to laugh with this, but slightly odd. He didn't write anything down. He came armed with dozens of small fingernail-sized pieces of paper, with the vowels and consonants written on them. When Carol put up a letter, he'd frantically search for that letter from his piles of paper, and so on until he had 9 pieces in front of him. When the clock started, he spent 30 seconds frantically rearranging all the 9 little bits of paper, hoping (i guess) a word would sort of fall into place before his very eyes, obviously with disastrous consequences. When the round was over, he frantically had to put back the 9 pieces of paper into their original piles on his desk, so the whole show was more or less chaotic from his point of view. Richard quizzed him as to what would happen firstly, if he sneezed during the game, then enquired what he proposed to do if he had the same word as his opponent, ie would he hand RW 9 little bits of paper and say "i had exactly the same". What made it special for me, at least, was that Will was 100% serious and didn't for one minute think what he was doing was absurd. I also think RW accused him of having St Vitas Dance at one point. I think what i've written doesn't do it justice, it has to be seen really. Certainly the bizarrest edition i've ever witnessed.
That sounds great, and just the kind of funny episode we need to see inbetween all the ones of prime players at the top of their game. Corby must have been influenced by that episode, which makes it a mystery how he became so good at the game.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Damian, that sounds just superb. I really want to see it now.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Damian, that sounds just superb. I really want to see it now.

I made it all up.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

As someone who has seen more live episodes of Countdown than anyone else, I wonder what Cindy Ritson's suggestion for Classic Edition would be?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Derek Hazell wrote:As someone who has seen more live episodes of Countdown than anyone else, I wonder what Cindy Ritson's suggestion for Classic Edition would be?

I'll ask her.

Edit - got one or two ideas.
Last edited by D Eadie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

D Eadie wrote:What made it special for me, at least, was that Will was 100% serious and didn't for one minute think what he was doing was absurd.
This makes sense when you look at some of his other interests.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gino Corr - WANKERS.

Seriously though, I vaguely remember him being pretty good and entertaining, one of his games must be worth looking at.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I may well have got here too late, but just in case, I'd like to nominate Natascha Kearsey vs Pete Cashmore, Champion of Champions final. I may be wrong, but I think this is the only time two players have met for a third time (having already played each other in the heats and a series semi final). Due to their rivalry, they're the two players I most remember from that era.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm going to add my name to list of people thinking that too many recent shows have been mentioned in comparison to the old ones.

I'd definitely go for the Freeman v Trace final. It might be worth picking a few great players from the early days and picking out the individual game which shows them at their best. Maybe Mark Nyman winning the champion of champion of champions. I think the Saldanha v Green final was probably quite good. I think one of Saldanha's early games would be good to watch, whether it's the final or not.
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

D Eadie wrote: compile a list of 20 classic editions,
Could you put the list of the 20 episodes you have compiled, if you get chance please?
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

I'd put in whatever the biggest comeback is. Especially if it was something like two 9's, followed by the numbers and conundrum to win by a single point. Plus, whatever the highest scoring aggregate game is.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Steve Durney wrote:I'd put in whatever the biggest comeback is. Especially if it was something like two 9's, followed by the numbers and conundrum to win by a single point.
The 2 that spring to my mind are David Trace v. Mick Keeble in the series 9 final and Richard Pay v. Claire Whitaker in series 51. Would love to see either again (or preferably both).
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Thomas Wood wrote:
Could you put the list of the 20 episodes you have compiled, if you get chance please?

I compiled a list of 15 shows, largely sourced from this forum, then got bored and went back to my real job, so 15 it was/is.

Still very much doubt anything will ever come of it though.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Anything with Mark Nyman would be good, also Damian's epic comeback game when he essentially shows that he has no familiarity with the dictionary whatsoever.

I think the Jim Martin game with his number solution would be worth a look too.
Bert Arter

Post by Bert Arter »

I have come in rather late on the subject of repeats of Classic shows and, having read the suggestions from all you experts, did you ever reach any conclusions? I rate Carol`s last show as being one of the most memorable, not only because it was a great final but it was the end of an era.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Bert Arter wrote:I have come in rather late on the subject of repeats of Classic shows and, having read the suggestions from all you experts, did you ever reach any conclusions? I rate Carol`s last show as being one of the most memorable, not only because it was a great final but it was the end of an era.
Not at all late Bert - the thread only started yesterday!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm going to add my name to list of people thinking that too many recent shows have been mentioned in comparison to the old ones.
Gevin Agrees With Damian Shocker

Childish I know, but I had to point it out.
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

D Eadie wrote:
Thomas Wood wrote:

I compiled a list of 15 shows, largely sourced from this forum, then got bored and went back to my real job, so 15 it was/is.

Still very much doubt anything will ever come of it though.
Ok, thanks for taking time out to do that Damian. It's a shame if nothing ever comes of it but it's just one of those things.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Derek Hazell wrote:Good point Damian. Also, the older the show the less chance you have of having to see yourself onscreen again.

Okay then, how about the episode with C4C's earliest ever forumite Andy Thomson? It also features Clive Freedman, which makes it notable in another respect too.
Just realized while browsing the Wiki that I made a mistake with this. Steven Tew is a member of this site too, and actually appeared nine months before Andy, also in 1985.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Only just caught up with this.

The first top player I saw was Scott Mearns. I'd be fascinated to see anything from before then. Mark Nyman, Michael Wylie and Damian Eadie must be included. And top players like Harvey Freeman and Allan Saldanha as well.

But I don't think I'd ever be bothered to watch anything I'd actually seen before.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Is it possible to get any of those specials which featured on: "The Channel 4 Daily", preferably the one that had Mark Nyman against Harvey Freeman.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Funny, because he was a one-off character. Opened up his first selection with "Vowel please, CV", and persisted to call her CV for the entire show. Nothing to cause you to laugh with this, but slightly odd. He didn't write anything down. He came armed with dozens of small fingernail-sized pieces of paper, with the vowels and consonants written on them. When Carol put up a letter, he'd frantically search for that letter from his piles of paper, and so on until he had 9 pieces in front of him. When the clock started, he spent 30 seconds frantically rearranging all the 9 little bits of paper, hoping (i guess) a word would sort of fall into place before his very eyes, obviously with disastrous consequences. When the round was over, he frantically had to put back the 9 pieces of paper into their original piles on his desk, so the whole show was more or less chaotic from his point of view. Richard quizzed him as to what would happen firstly, if he sneezed during the game, then enquired what he proposed to do if he had the same word as his opponent, ie would he hand RW 9 little bits of paper and say "i had exactly the same". What made it special for me, at least, was that Will was 100% serious and didn't for one minute think what he was doing was absurd. I also think RW accused him of having St Vitas Dance at one point. I think what i've written doesn't do it justice, it has to be seen really. Certainly the bizarrest edition i've ever witnessed.
Finally we get to share in Damian (and most of the onscreen team by the look of things!)'s amusement. Somebody has uploaded it to YouTube, here: 1, 2, 3.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
(How do you do smileys on this thing?)
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

The overhead shot is hilarious! I wonder why he didn't just use some Scrabble tiles? Surely they'd be less likely to crumple up.