Jeff's tastes in music

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Jeff's tastes in music

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jeff Stelling is the featured patient in today's Record Doctor feature in the Observer Music Monthly. If you buy an inferior Sunday paper, you can read the article online here.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Jeff's tastes in music

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Jeff Stelling is the featured patient in today's Record Doctor feature in the Observer Music Monthly. If you buy an inferior Sunday paper, you can read the article online here.
Interesting. I had heard Jeff mention Vampire Weekend a few times on the show, but never thought to check them out. I was actually expecting something gothic, or maybe extreme rock by the name, but they couldn't be more different. Jeff admits there that he doesn't like them really, but just checking them on YouTube they seemed pretty good. They have clever lyrics which you can understand too, which is always a big plus for me, and who better for a Countdown running joke than a group who sings about punctuation and grammar.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

That picture of Jeff with the guitar makes him look really menacing. :twisted:

If that guitar was replaced with either an axe or a truncheon, he could easily look like a serial killer. Maybe, after he ditches the goalie gloves too.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

He talks about Vampire Weekend as if they are Cannibal Corpse or something, he didn't sound impressed in the slightest.
Which is odd, as I always had them down as fairly appropriate fare for middle aged people. My mum certainly likes them.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:He talks about Vampire Weekend as if they are Cannibal Corpse or something, he didn't sound impressed in the slightest.
Which is odd, as I always had them down as fairly appropriate fare for middle aged people. My mum certainly likes them.
The first cut is the deepest, Matt.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:I had heard Jeff mention Vampire Weekend a few times on the show, but never thought to check them out. I was actually expecting something gothic, or maybe extreme rock by the name, but they couldn't be more different. Jeff admits there that he doesn't like them really, but just checking them on YouTube they seemed pretty good. They have clever lyrics which you can understand too, which is always a big plus for me, and who better for a Countdown running joke than a group who sings about punctuation and grammar.
Ha - that's a fun video. Was it really shot as one continuous take? I hope so.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:He talks about Vampire Weekend as if they are Cannibal Corpse or something, he didn't sound impressed in the slightest.
The first cut is the deepest, Matt.
Apologies Dez. Genuinely hadn't seen your message before I posted that! Hey, they're still hugely popular for youngsters too, so just because you like them it doesn't make you old, honest! Er, I mean it doesn't make you middle aged, honest.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

'My Sherona' by The Knack. I'll give Jeff a brownie point for that.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I liked it too until that Oatibix advert
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT