Dr Pointless/Sir Pointless

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Dr Pointless/Sir Pointless

Post by Sue Sanders »

Hey, Derek, on Pointless today - remember that convo we had about Dr Who actors.....

I'm yelling at the telly !!

And.....they've missed one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would anyone care to supply the missing answer??
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Dr Pointless

Post by Derek Hazell »

Yeah, I watched Doctor Who as a kid, but I don't like it now. I can name all the Doctors though, and I think I know what you're getting at.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:Yeah, I watched Doctor Who as a kid, but I don't like it now. I can name all the Doctors though, and I think I know what you're getting at.
Yeah, the one I'm particularly fond of because of where I live and....
Fool's top.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Richard Osman did quite clearly say that only the 10 official TV Doctors counted.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jennifer Turner wrote:Richard Osman did quite clearly say that only the 10 official TV Doctors counted.
Oh right, I haven't watched today's Pointless yet, as I wanted to watch them in order. Nice that you obviously knew who Sue was on about though. Maybe you'd be good on the show.

Not sure why this isn't in the Pointless thread though, but maybe that's a self-referential joke.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jennifer Turner wrote:Richard Osman did quite clearly say that only the 10 official TV Doctors counted.
SPOILER
Why is Paul McGann'official' one wonders, and the great man considered not to be????
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:SPOILER
Why is Paul McGann'official' one wonders, and the great man considered not to be????
For crying out loud, who are you talking about? All 10 official, canon TV Doctors were named (including the eighth). I do hope you're not going to say Richard Hurndall...
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
For crying out loud, who are you talking about? All 10 official, canon TV Doctors were named (including the eighth). I do hope you're not going to say Richard Hurndall...
Nope. I live in Whitstable so I met him once - a long time ago (for obvious reasons) He was a real gentleman.
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Nope. I live in Whitstable so I met this person once - a long time ago (for obvious reasons) He was a real gentleman.

(And Paul McGann wasn't a TV doctor, was he? He was only in the film)
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Are you referring to Whoopi's husband by any chance?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:Are you referring to Whoopi's husband by any chance?
Do you mean Frank Langella? No... but there is a creature of the night connection.

Bloody hell, just realised I'm being as annoying as Jason and his new Apterous DC guests :o
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sorry my attempt at obscure witticism failed again

You are of course referring to that great Hammer house stalwart and 3rd member of the British horror film trinity Peter Cushing
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:Sorry my attempt at obscure witticism failed again

You are of course referring to that great Hammer house stalwart and 3rd member of the British horror film trinity Peter Cushing
Hurrah - oh, and I see - woopi cushion. Ver ver funny. I expect I'll get some stick now (back off, Phil ;) ) because indeed, googling does seem to show the great Peter in a different Dr Who category to the others. I guess it's because he's my special favourite that I didn't like to see him missed out. And he's my favourite because he was so lovely when I met him by staking out the Tudor Tea Rooms in Whitstable in the late 80's, to get a book signed. Four sugars in his tea, don't you know?
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:(And Paul McGann wasn't a TV doctor, was he? He was only in the film)
The TV film, yes. Made for TV and considered part of the TV canon (especially as it began with the seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy, regenerating into the eighth - who has also been seen a couple of times in flashback sequences in the new series, clearly establishing him as one of the Doctor's former incarnations). Peter Cushing was only in the cinema films, which were remakes of stories from the TV series, and didn't play a separate incarnation of the Doctor but (like Richard Hurndall in The Five Doctors) played a different interpretation of William Hartnell's Doctor, i.e. the first.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Re: Dr Pointless/Sir Pointless

Post by Sue Sanders »

I was disappointed to see 'Arthurian Legends' come off the Pointless Finals board today, without being used. I was interested in whether knowledge of Arthurian Knights gleaned from a touch too much Python as a child would stand one in good stead or not. Cos I know which 5 I would have tried.

'3 Sir'
:D
Fool's top.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Expect to see Pointless get replaced by mickey mouse tennis today... BBC always allot laughably tiny slots for the Davis Cup tennis. It would take a minor miracle for two games plus all the other filler stuff to be done and dusted in 3 3/4 hours.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Surely they'll only show Murray's match! It's not like he's playing anyone good anyway!
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

I didn't really like Peter Cushing, mainly as the first thing I saw him in was as Sherlock Holmes. Then I bought his autobiography (as it was a signed copy), and after I read it, I had completely changed my mind. And he was pretty good in other stuff, even a Laurel and Hardy film!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I didn't really like Peter Cushing, mainly as the first thing I saw him in was as Sherlock Holmes. Then I bought his autobiography (as it was a signed copy), and after I read it, I had completely changed my mind.
I recall seeing him in the 1980s on an unexpectedly moving edition of (of all things) Jim'll Fix It. Cushing had written to the programme asking if he could have a variety of rose named after his late wife. He was so gentle and polite, and so grateful to the programme for fulfilling his dream - I'm getting teary just thinking about it again.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

We have Cushing's View (where he used to sit with Helen) and Cushing's Walk named after him here in Whitstable. When he died, thousands of townspeople turned out for his funeral. He once fell off his bicycle and broke his hip - our family's dark secret is that it might have been my uncle John opening a car door in his path that caused the accident.

And of course there's the song....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoFYDlUMGqA
(That's not Whitstable in the background)
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:And of course there's the song....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoFYDlUMGqA
That was superb. I hereby name this thread no longer pointless.