Favourite Simpsons episode.

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Who's your favourite Simpsons character?

Homer Simpson
15%
Marge Simpson
No votes
Bart Simpson
No votes
Lisa Simpson
10%
Maggie Simpson
No votes
Abe Simpson
No votes
Mona Simpson (Homer's mum)
No votes
Santa's Little Helper
No votes
Snowball II
No votes
Comic Book Guy
5%
Ned Flanders
No votes
Mod Flanders
No votes
Todd Flanders
No votes
Rod Flanders
No votes
Professor Frink
5%
Barney Gumble
No votes
Mayor Quimby
No votes
Dr Hibbert
No votes
Lionel Hutz
No votes
Reverend Lovejoy.
No votes
Helen Lovejoy
No votes
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
No votes
Dr. Nick
5%
Cletus Spuckler
No votes
Brandine Spuckler
No votes
Moe Szyslak
No votes
Chief Wiggum
10%
Seymour Skinner
No votes
Edna Krabappel
No votes
Otto Mann
No votes
Groundskeeper Willie
No votes
Nelson Muntz
No votes
Martin Prince
No votes
Millhouse Van Houten
No votes
Itchy
No votes
Scratchy
No votes
Kent Brockman
No votes
Krusty the Clown
No votes
Troy McClure
5%
Duffman
No votes
Rainier Wolfcastle
No votes
Montgomery Burns
5%
Carl Carlson
No votes
Lenny Leonard
5%
Waylon Smithers
No votes
Sideshow Bob
5%
Kang
No votes
Kodos
No votes
Fat Tony
No votes
Patty Bouvier
No votes
Selma Bouvier
No votes
Kirk Van Houten
5%
Luann Van Houten
No votes
Snake Jailbird
No votes
Agnes Skinner
No votes
Superintendent Chalmers
No votes
Lou (cop)
No votes
Eddie (cop)
No votes
Disco Stu
No votes
Crazy Cat Lady
No votes
Hans Moleman
No votes
Jasper Beardly
No votes
Gill
5%
None of the above. This is the shittest poll ever
20%

Total votes: 20

Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Favourite Simpsons episode.

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Mine is when they go to Japan :D.

Also, do you have any favourite Simpsons quotes?

And, this website is great.

My favourite character is Lisa. Then probably Jasper.

The best TV show ever made IMO.

PS: I had to have surgery on my mouth today and it is mega sore :(
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Favourite Simpsons episode.

Post by Derek Hazell »

I don't think this poll's shit, seems like a lot of thought went into it, but I am still unable to vote, as I am the only person in the UK who has never seen a whole episode of The Simpsons.

PS: I hope your mouth gets better soon. I was going to make a joke about it, but it would have been insulting to you, if not to Kirk, so I have again censored myself, this time for the sake of being a nice guy.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
How come? Your mouth appeared to be perfectly normal when i saw it on telly.

I like the episode with the phrase "Dental plan" used in it frequently. Thats got nothing to do with the fact that you just had mouth surgery btw.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Can't believe you listed all those characters and left out my all-time favourite - Ralph Wiggum. Hence I had to vote "none of the above" even though it's far from being the shittest poll ever. ;)

I have too many favourite episodes to pick one, but I have a special fondness for the Homer^3 segment from one of the Halloween specials which has the CGI Homer - here's a favourite snippet.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

PS Who's "Mod" Flanders?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Can't believe you listed all those characters and left out my all-time favourite - Ralph Wiggum.
Doh! Don't know how I managed that. I was copying them from the list on sporcle.
Phil Reynolds wrote:PS Who's "Mod" Flanders?
Ned's second cousin - episode 2121...duh. :oops: :?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

JackHurst wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:
How come? Your mouth appeared to be perfectly normal when i saw it on telly.
I had a tooth that was growing down into the roof of my mouth. Shortly I'll be getting train-track braces for 2 years :|. Then they were talking about maybe dislocating my jaw to stop my front teeth being so far forward and I just thought "umm, no thanks". Still, it'll be worth it in the long run. Unless I die before I get my braces taken off, that would be crap. Or if my teeth fell out.
Last edited by Jimmy Gough on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Ned's second cousin - episode 2121...duh. :oops: :?
Shouldn't that be "d'oh"?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Derek Hazell wrote: PS: I hope your mouth gets better soon. I was going to make a joke about it, but it would have been insulting to you, if not to Kirk, so I have again censored myself, this time for the sake of being a nice guy.
Thanks. Say it, I don't mind.... :twisted:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote: PS: I hope your mouth gets better soon. I was going to make a joke about it, but it would have been insulting to you, if not to Kirk, so I have again censored myself, this time for the sake of being a nice guy.
Okay then - You didn't realise it wasn't only Kirk's vocabulary that was big when you let him own you in the final.

Bet you'd rather I'd gagged myself now :)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:
Okay then - You didn't realise it wasn't only Kirk's vocabulary that was big when you let him own you in the final.

Bet you'd rather I'd gagged myself now :)
Ha - if I was clever I could probably have figured that was the joke. In PSHE in year 11 we watched this video where some girl was saying about how she dislocated her jaw giving someone a blowjob. It was like a serious video. Just really sticks in my head.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:In PSHE in year 11 we watched this video where some girl was saying about how she dislocated her jaw giving someone a blowjob. It was like a serious video. Just really sticks in my head.
I watched the exact same video. Man that was funny.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:In PSHE in year 11 we watched this video where some girl was saying about how she dislocated her jaw giving someone a blowjob. It was like a serious video. Just really sticks in my head.
Haha this sounds excellent. I think there are DVDs of old sex education films available, I wonder if I can find any. This needs seeing.
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:I don't think this poll's shit, seems like a lot of thought went into it, but I am still unable to vote, as I am the only person in the UK who has never seen a whole episode of The Simpsons.

PS: I hope your mouth gets better soon. I was going to make a joke about it, but it would have been insulting to you, if not to Kirk, so I have again censored myself, this time for the sake of being a nice guy.

No you're not.

And before anyone decides it would be pithy to tell me I must therefore be a cunt - it was never a conscious decision not to watch it, more just one of those things.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Worst. Poll. Ever.

Favourite eps:

- The proposition 24 ep where Mayor Quimby tries to deport the illegal immigrants
- Monorail
- Homer getting a triple bypass from Dr Nick
- Hank Scorpio

Favourite scenes:

- The Indiana Jones parody when Bart steals Homer's change jar.
- The short film indoctrinating Lisa's class to meat eating after she triggers two independent thought alarms in one day.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Haha this sounds excellent. I think there are DVDs of old sex education films available, I wonder if I can find any. This needs seeing.
IIRC she was absolutely hideous as well.

I remember in like year 4 we watched a video of a family (dad, mum, son, daughter) playing volleyball naked at some naturist place.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I think most people agree that the early seasons were the best (like with most shows, I guess). Fave episode is probably the one where they go to Camp Krusty and Bart leads the rebellion. So many amazing characters, but my heart is with Homer.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jimmy Gough wrote:I remember in like year 4 we watched a video of a family (dad, mum, son, daughter) playing volleyball naked at some naturist place.
EVERY sex education video has naked volleyball. Often followed by frisbee. Jaw-breaking blowjobs are harder to come by.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:I remember in like year 4 we watched a video of a family (dad, mum, son, daughter) playing volleyball naked at some naturist place.
EVERY sex education video has naked volleyball. Often followed by frisbee. Jaw-breaking blowjobs are harder to come by.
Blimey. Blow jobs can actually break a bloke's jaw? I'm obviously not putting enough effort in!
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Paul Howe wrote:Favourite eps:

- The proposition 24 ep where Mayor Quimby tries to deport the illegal immigrants
- Monorail
- Homer getting a triple bypass from Dr Nick
- Hank Scorpio
Mono... D'OH!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I like the so-much-more-than-friendship between Lenny and fellow boozer Carl so I voted for him.

I like the bit in the episode where Artie spends the weekend with Marge, a parody of the film Indecent Proposal, where Carl and Marge rescue Homer and Lenny from the burning oil rig.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way what is "d'oh" - is it short for something? It seems a very bizarre spelling for an exclamation.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:By the way what is "d'oh" - is it short for something? It seems a very bizarre spelling for an exclamation.
The moustachioed Scottish actor James Finlayson, who played the moustachioed Scottish heavy in several Laurel and Hardy films, used to utter a drawn-out "d'ooooooohhhh!" when bested, the implication supposedly being that he was about to say "damn" but stopped himself in time. When Dan Castellaneta was confronted in the early Simpsons scripts by directions that said "(annoyed grunt)", he originally borrowed Finlayson's suppressed oath until Matt Groening suggested he shorten it. The scripts continued to render the exclamation as "(annoyed grunt)" long after the catchphrase had become widespread. (This story is quite well known.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:By the way what is "d'oh" - is it short for something? It seems a very bizarre spelling for an exclamation.
The moustachioed Scottish actor James Finlayson, who played the moustachioed Scottish heavy in several Laurel and Hardy films, used to utter a drawn-out "d'ooooooohhhh!" when bested, the implication supposedly being that he was about to say "damn" but stopped himself in time. When Dan Castellaneta was confronted in the early Simpsons scripts by directions that said "(annoyed grunt)", he originally borrowed Finlayson's suppressed oath until Matt Groening suggested he shorten it. The scripts continued to render the exclamation as "(annoyed grunt)" long after the catchphrase had become widespread. (This story is quite well known.)
The 'Shary Bobbins' episode is actually called "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious".
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

In general, I hate people who are obsessed with the Simpsons. They tend to be really annoying people who have no actual meaning to their existence. At secondary school, there was this group of kids who just stood there all day quoting Simpsons' quotes to each other. They really thought they were funny.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Richard Brittain wrote:In general, I hate people who are obsessed with the Simpsons. They tend to be really annoying people who have no actual meaning to their existence.
You'll find that tends to be true of people who are obsessed with anything.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Jimmy Gough wrote:In PSHE in year 11 we watched this video where some girl was saying about how she dislocated her jaw giving someone a blowjob.
Big deal- I saw her actually doing it (from above). :P

Fave Simpsons episodes are the Australia one (knifey-spoony!), the Monorail, the one where the kids reveal secrets and the one where they have a movie festival. Can't remember all my fave moments but I particularly recall the one where Rainier Wolfcastle gets tricked and then goes, "Wait, these are loafers."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

The one where the family are all shocking each other at the therapy centre is the one that's come to mind. Any Troy McClure section too.

As for old school videos, we never got the broken jaw, but I seem to remember naked volleyball, and I remember one with two blokes kissing (ewww etc). Our most memorable vid was undoubtedly the bloke from Galashiels with Tourette's. At primary school, I've a feeling we got a famous(?) video that has a spastic child in it that prompted years' worth of "nghghgmghg" sounds with the appropriate face and tongue in lower lip. You know what I mean. I still do that now come to think of it...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:The one where the family are all shocking each other at the therapy centre is the one that's come to mind. Any Troy McClure section too.

As for old school videos, we never got the broken jaw, but I seem to remember naked volleyball, and I remember one with two blokes kissing (ewww etc). Our most memorable vid was undoubtedly the bloke from Galashiels with Tourette's. At primary school, I've a feeling we got a famous(?) video that has a spastic child in it that prompted years' worth of "nghghgmghg" sounds with the appropriate face and tongue in lower lip. You know what I mean. I still do that now come to think of it...
Dnnnnnnnnuuuuugggg. Of course we know what you mean, you Spaz.

At about 14 years old, I remember Sex Ed consisted entirely of horrifying photos of STDs - pustulated knobs and growlers VERY close up. I remained a virgin til 17. I also remember Mrs Mumford, someone the school hauled in once a year to provide the lessons, asking just the boys if they knew how a woman might first suspect she was pregnant. The answer nervously given by Tiny Maynard -'do their teeth start dropping out?' He wasn't messin'. Ahhh

Have we strayed onto the wrong thread here?
Fool's top.