Carol Vorderman on Would I Lie To You?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Carol Vorderman on Would I Lie To You?

Post by James Robinson »

Has anyone seen this clip of Carol from a preview of Monday's upcoming edition of Would I Lie To You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG5w1y6Fv8
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Re: Carol Vorderman on Would I Lie To You?

Post by Sue Sanders »

James Robinson wrote:Has anyone seen this clip of Carol from a preview of Monday's upcoming edition of Would I Lie To You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG5w1y6Fv8
I really, really miss her :cry: (though I don't think I believe the pen game)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dear lord, who'd have thought Carol would be such a bad liar. But hey, she got Russell Howard to touch her pen, so kudos.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

I can't be bothered watching this - I take it's some kind of drivel updated version of Call My Bluff?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Thomson wrote:I can't be bothered watching this - I take it's some kind of drivel updated version of Call My Bluff?
I suppose that's a loose way of putting it.

A member of one of the teams reads out a statement. The other team have to work out whether it's TRUE or a LIE.

It'd be interesting to see if what Carol says is true or not, but we'll have to wait till Monday to find out.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Andy Thomson wrote:I can't be bothered watching this - I take it's some kind of drivel updated version of Call My Bluff?
With the likes of David Mitchell and Lee Mack on the panel, it'll be funny.
Fool's top.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Sue Sanders wrote:With the likes of David Mitchell and Lee Mack on the panel, it'll be funny.
Yeah, it is. This is now its third series and the previous 2 with Angus Deayton as host were very funny. WIth Rob Brydon now as host, it should be even more exciting.

Just think if we could get any of those 3 to appear on Dictionary Corner :!: :D
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks for the link! Brilliant show IMHO. :D

But for traffic problems :( , me, 2 of my older kids, and 3 of my friends would've been in the audience.
I'd driven us all the way to Pinewood, too. :x
Still, we went to see the film 'The Boat That Rocked' instead, which had us howling with laughter! :lol:
And got priority tickets to a later episode. :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1853
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

James Robinson wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:With the likes of David Mitchell and Lee Mack on the panel, it'll be funny.
Yeah, it is. This is now its third series and the previous 2 with Angus Deayton as host were very funny. WIth Rob Brydon now as host, it should be even more exciting.

All of them too expensive for Countdown's meager budget I would have thought...

...though if Deayton does the prozzy/tits/Charlie thing again he could suddenly become affordable.

(NOTE: The reference to "Charlie" in the above statement was a satirical reference to a Class A drug and was in no way intended to implicate the creator and overseer of Apterous. Thanks.)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Was great, wasn't it? :lol:
SPOILER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOILER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOILER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOILER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER
SPOLIER

I was surprised it was true, though. I've only seen Countdown episodes recorded since Rachel and Jeff took over, so didn't know the answer. I would've thought it'd be distracting for the contestants. Any comments from contestants in the Carol days?

I thought that the banter was hilarious, and as the recordings last about 2 hours, so much more material, ii's a pity I missed it. Look out for tales from Marcus Brigstock in his episode, of working as a labourer on an oil rig, and as a podium dancer at The Ministry of Sound'!! I'd be surprised if they edited that stuff out.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For those like me who didn't watch, you were surprised WHAT was true? If you're gonna mark it as a spoiler, please spoil it.
Also, great copy and pasting :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:For those like me who didn't watch, you were surprised WHAT was true?
Duh, the story in the video clip at the beginning of this thread.

I was surprised too, not so much because of the implausibility of the story, but because of Carol's demeanour when she was telling it. She really did look like she'd been put on the spot and that was the best lie she could come up with on the spur of the moment. Clearly a woman with hidden shallows.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:For those like me who didn't watch, you were surprised WHAT was true?
Duh, the story in the video clip at the beginning of this thread.
Oops. [/dumb]
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:Any comments from contestants in the Carol days?
Yeah. I'd be surprised if it actually was true, or even if it was, whether she did it more than once or twice. 15 times a day during recording? Um, no.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Julie T wrote:Any comments from contestants in the Carol days?
Yeah. I'd be surprised if it actually was true, or even if it was, whether she did it more than once or twice. 15 times a day during recording? Um, no.
Also it would be odd if she was particularly bored during the numbers rounds, when she has even less to do during the letters rounds.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Watching her last night reminded me how much more I prefer Rachel Riley. Everything from the sycophantic laughing to the irritating 'ditzy' persona, which is just about appealing when done by Claudia Winkelman imo but not by Carol or Davina McCall.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Watching her last night reminded me how much more I prefer Rachel Riley. Everything from the sycophantic laughing to the irritating 'ditzy' persona, which is just about appealing when done by Claudia Winkelman imo but not by Carol or Davina McCall.
Watching her last night reminded me how much more personality she's got than Rachel.

(Don't remember her doing it during my numbers rounds - which were perfectly easy but I wasn't aware of anything more than a foot away from me....rabbit in headlights syndrome for the whole hour's filming!!)
Fool's top.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sue Sanders wrote:Watching her last night reminded me how much more personality she's got than Rachel.
Of course, Carol appeared on panel shows and stuff after she was on TV for 6 months as well. In fact, watch any early Carol shows and the personality just shines through, because it's so easy to project personality while putting numbers and letters on a board.

I've also spoken to Carol and Rachel for some time in off-camera situations, and can confirm your observation to be true. Oh wait, no I haven't because Carol wouldn't give anyone the time of day unless it was part of her job to.

Personally, I found Carol to be incredibly false in what little conversation I did have with her, and not interested outside of the studio. Rachel on the other hand was very natural and chatty outside of the studio, but obviously nervous in front of camera and still trying to find her "television persona", as I would expect of any TV newcomer stepping into that role.

Summary: Don't be so fucking stupid Sue.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:Of course, Carol appeared on panel shows and stuff after she was on TV for 6 months as well. In fact, watch any early Carol shows and the personality just shines through, because it's so easy to project personality while putting numbers and letters on a board.
I'm guessing there's an element of irony here, but it appears to suggest that Rachel after six months in the job is progressing at least as well as Carol did all those years ago. But it also could be inferred that Rachel today is not as good a performer as Carol eventually became. Issue a banning order to this man.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Talking of irony...
Sue Sanders wrote:rabbit in headlights syndrome for the whole hour's filming!!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Watching her last night reminded me how much more personality she's got than Rachel.
Of course, Carol appeared on panel shows and stuff after she was on TV for 6 months as well. In fact, watch any early Carol shows and the personality just shines through, because it's so easy to project personality while putting numbers and letters on a board.

I've also spoken to Carol and Rachel for some time in off-camera situations, and can confirm your observation to be true. Oh wait, no I haven't because Carol wouldn't give anyone the time of day unless it was part of her job to.

Personally, I found Carol to be incredibly false in what little conversation I did have with her, and not interested outside of the studio. Rachel on the other hand was very natural and chatty outside of the studio, but obviously nervous in front of camera and still trying to find her "television persona", as I would expect of any TV newcomer stepping into that role.

Oh, silly me - there's me thinking the definition of someone with a good tv personality is that they have a good personality....on tv.
Fool's top.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

Oh, silly me - there's me thinking the definition of someone with a good tv personality is that they have a good personality....on tv.
Whatever floats your boat. If false laughter, false interest, false conversation, false reactions, false tits, false face and false teeth is what does it for you, go crazy.

(Still would, for the record)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

You forgot fake science.
Heather Culpin

Post by Heather Culpin »

Firstly I think Would I Lie to You is the funniest programme I've seen for ages, and even better now it has Rob Brydon chairing instead of Angus Deayton. It's nothing like Call My Bluff and is well worth watching.

Anyway I really don't believe that Carol did that business with her pen if she had time to spare during the numbers round - not as a regular thing anyway. My husband and daughter were both in the audience at different recordings and both are sure she did no such thing when I was on anyway. Of course my magnetic personality may have distracted her ...
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Admittedly I can't draw on other people's assessments of Carol and Rachel in person (having only met Rachel), but on screen I've always thought Carol came across as incredibly fawning and fake, whereas Rachel had a sort of nervous but bubbly charm about her. As a yardstick, my dad (who has met neither and is rather more of a passing viewer of Countdown, thus being more 'neutral') often comments upon preference of Rachel to Carol largely due to the reasons Jon listed.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Admittedly I can't draw on other people's assessments of Carol and Rachel in person (having only met Rachel), but on screen I've always thought Carol came across as incredibly fawning and fake, whereas Rachel had a sort of nervous but bubbly charm about her.
As one of a short list of people who have met both, I can say that they are both very charming. Interestingly, since she left Countdown, Carol does seem to have that "fakeness" about her that some people talk about, but I think that's only because she's around other famous people (like when she did the Celebrity Apprentice), whereas around the contestants on the show, she is a lovely person, although having said that I was 14/15 when I did it the first time round. Rachel definitely did seem nervous on screen at first, but her charm definitely won me and I would think just about everyone else over. Certainly, by the time I did my recording in March, when she and Jeff were fully settled in, she definitely was less nervous and was fully in the zone. She is always a joy to talk to (I've been in the audience a few times since, as some people might know) and is very caring to everyone around her too. :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:You forgot fake science.
But they dismiss socks in that article.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:Carol essentially has a mundane role where she has done the same task many thousands of times. She somehow contrives to do it so well that she has made herself a star by doing it. Even when she's laughing too loud at some duff celebrity you know it's because her only thought is to make every episode of Countdown the best she possibly can. I've never seen her have an off-day.

The ultimate professional. How annoying is that?

David
I agree wholeheartedly David. This is why this thread pisses me off. Fair enough if you don't like Carol, but to pick on tiny little characteristics like these and make what actually reads as a pretty spiteful thread about it stinks. There's a few little things Carol does which peeve me (such as helping with maths formula, pointing out words while the letters are being chosen) but this is more than outweighed by what she does bring to the show, which is immense.

WTF would the new host/ess think if they were reading this? Do you just want them to stand there robotically dealing cards (a la Play Your Cards Right), or bring a little personality to it?

(To new hostess if you are reading this, ignore these cunts)

Before he'd met the fragrant Rachel, of course.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Haha.

David Williams wrote:Jon, I already have to employ staff to keep up with all the stuff here. One is working on "The Best of Jon Corby" as we speak, but we're some months away from publication.
Can I assume publication is near? ;)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Every time we think we're done, you come up with more good stuff, and it's back to the drawing board. Perhaps if you went quiet for a bit . . . ?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:Every time we think we're done, you come up with more good stuff, and it's back to the drawing board. Perhaps if you went quiet for a bit . . . ?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Nick Boldock wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Yeah, it is. This is now its third series and the previous 2 with Angus Deayton as host were very funny. WIth Rob Brydon now as host, it should be even more exciting.

All of them too expensive for Countdown's meager budget I would have thought...
Yes, Nick, are we talking about the same meagre budget that somehow got Jerry Springer onto the show :!: :?:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:Carol essentially has a mundane role where she has done the same task many thousands of times. She somehow contrives to do it so well that she has made herself a star by doing it. Even when she's laughing too loud at some duff celebrity you know it's because her only thought is to make every episode of Countdown the best she possibly can. I've never seen her have an off-day.

The ultimate professional. How annoying is that?

David
I agree wholeheartedly David. This is why this thread pisses me off. Fair enough if you don't like Carol, but to pick on tiny little characteristics like these and make what actually reads as a pretty spiteful thread about it stinks. There's a few little things Carol does which peeve me (such as helping with maths formula, pointing out words while the letters are being chosen) but this is more than outweighed by what she does bring to the show, which is immense.

WTF would the new host/ess think if they were reading this? Do you just want them to stand there robotically dealing cards (a la Play Your Cards Right), or bring a little personality to it?

(To new hostess if you are reading this, ignore these cunts)

Before he'd met the fragrant Rachel, of course.
Strangely I was reminded of this post too but couldn't be bothered to look for it.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Carol was awesome; Rachel is awesomer.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just in case anyone didn't see the answer here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4gEccfT ... re=channel
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Having strayed back into the newly resurrected youtube thread, and watched Kirk's post of Carol on The Sunday Night Project (posted Feb 08, and thanks Kirk, I'd not seen that programme) I just wanted to say with regard to JC's.....
...... Cock off - Jon, I think that proves my point.

And to pre-empt those of you who will post to say how sweet, pretty, lovely, kind, friendly Rachel is, I really have no doubt that she is all those things, she comes across as a really nice person, (even when Jeff is being squirmingly lascivious about her) - but the subject was personality. Carol has the personality for these tv entertainment shows and I don't think Rachel would manage it like Carol does.
Fool's top.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Sue Sanders wrote: Carol has the personality for these tv entertainment shows and I don't think Rachel would manage it like Carol does.
Only because Carol's far more experienced. Had you seen Carol on her first few weeks of filming Countdown back in 1982 you'd have said Carol had very little personality.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote: Carol has the personality for these tv entertainment shows and I don't think Rachel would manage it like Carol does.
Only because Carol's far more experienced. Had you seen Carol on her first few weeks of filming Countdown back in 1982 you'd have said Carol had very little personality.
Also though, she wouldn't have been called on to make it into a 'personalities' type show - I'm sure that wasn't the remit. I just recognise in her that loud personality and confidence that I think is a natural trait, not something that comes with practise! Rachel is really doing exactly what it says on the tin and you boys love her, which is really great - I think Countdown stood a good chance of crashing and burning but it hasn't -Thank Goodness. But Carol's Carol and Rachel's Rachel (and I miss Carol) and I can't imagine Rachel suddenly revealing a Carol type personality, and it's Carol's personality that is required on telly progs of the ilk Carol's appearing on and good luck to her, she's having fun. But if Rachel gets a shot and shows a different side - ON TV, not after the cameras switch off in the studio - then I promise, I'll eat .....I don't know, there's not much I don't normally eat anyway. :D
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Also though, she wouldn't have been called on to make it into a 'personalities' type show - I'm sure that wasn't the remit. I just recognise in her that loud personality and confidence that I think is a natural trait, not something that comes with practise! Rachel is really doing exactly what it says on the tin and you boys love her, which is really great - I think Countdown stood a good chance of crashing and burning but it hasn't -Thank Goodness. But Carol's Carol and Rachel's Rachel (and I miss Carol) and I can't imagine Rachel suddenly revealing a Carol type personality, and it's Carol's personality that is required on telly progs of the ilk Carol's appearing on and good luck to her, she's having fun. But if Rachel gets a shot and shows a different side - ON TV, not after the cameras switch off in the studio - then I promise, I'll eat .....I don't know, there's not much I don't normally eat anyway. :D
How about Phil's hat
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
How about Phil's hat
Ok, yes, I accept. Though, I must say....have you seen the size of Phil's head? Imagine the size of the fucker's hat! (Please excuse the language but it is in hommage tomy favourite film!)
Fool's top.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Sue Sanders wrote:Please excuse the language but it is in hommage tomy favourite film!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9p8bz ... omy_people

I'm sure it's very good, but why is it your favourite?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

David Williams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Please excuse the language but it is in hommage tomy favourite film!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9p8bz ... omy_people

I'm sure it's very good, but why is it your favourite?
Ha Ha - ok - typos ...homage to MY favourite film - Withnail & I . Though if it's favourite home video clip ...this is hot off the press...http://picasaweb.google.com/sooztooz/OysterEating2009 12 oysters and a pint of Whitstable stout 24.5 seconds!
Fool's top.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

And not a drop spilled.

I walked past the famous Sleddale Hall a couple of months ago. Always had the impression it was in the back of beyond, so I was a bit surprised to find it's only a couple of miles from the nearest motorway junction.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sue Sanders wrote:I just wanted to say with regard to JC's.....
...... Cock off - Jon, I think that proves my point.
Yeah okay fair enough. I think Rachel >>> Carol by miles but that's largely to do with a whole load of reasons which aren't apparent just from viewing.

My response to you personally was uncalled for though, and I apologise.