For Jon Corby

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

For Jon Corby

Post by Matt Morrison »

There's a 95% chance you've already got one of these, but I figured it was worth scanning and posting just for the 5% chance that you'll be filled with jealousy.
Plus you might gain a new found respect for me anyway :) I HAVE ACTUALLY TOUCHED HIM.

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: For Jon Corby

Post by Jon Corby »

Can't see it in work. Stupid new filters.

I'm guessing it's a picture of a naked Phil Reynolds performing The Full Monty. Amirite?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Can't see it in work. Stupid new filters.
Man, them filters is insane. Are they blocking out EVERY PICTURE ON THE INTERNET?
Jon Corby wrote:I'm guessing it's a picture of a naked Phil Reynolds performing The Full Monty. Amirite?
Even better.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm guessing it's a picture of a naked Phil Reynolds performing The Full Monty. Amirite?
In your dreams mate. 8-)

There are some pictures on the website - I'm in 3 of them but, sadly, fully clothed in all cases. And you probably won't be able to see them anyway.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
In your dreams mate. 8-)

There are some pictures on the website - I'm in 3 of them but, sadly, fully clothed in all cases. And you probably won't be able to see them anyway.
Only at work. I'll be able to see them when I'm home tonight. Alone. With the curtains closed.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Why did he (or was that you?) print his name next to his signature?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Why did he (or was that you?) print his name next to his signature?
Yeah, I was about 14. An analytical 14 year old who liked to organise stuff. I've got tons of footballer's signatures, this one is much more legible than tons of the others.
It'd be awesome if he'd done that himself.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ah, I assume it's a signed picture of MLT. I used to have a shirt he'd signed, and I've got a signed football somewhere as well. And I've got signed photos and stuff. When I had my own computer consultancy (i.e. was dodging tax doing Y2K contracts prior to IR35) my company was the matchday sponsor for a home game against Liverpool (we lost 2-1). I'll dig the programmes and stuff out from my loft if anyone's interested. It was Mark Hughes' home debut and we voted him Man-of-the-Match (mainly because Le Tiss had only come on for the last 10 mins or so, so we didn't really feel we could vote him!). He was a right miserable bastard. Still, me & eleven guests got (what passed for) VIP treatment at The Dell.

Fucking hell, happy times, hadn't thought about that for a while (it was eleven years ago), thanks for reminding me!

As sponsor I also had a full-page ad in the programme, which I didn't want so I donated it to a local MS charity or something. See, I do a lot of work for charity, don't really like to talk about it ;)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:I've got tons of footballer's signatures, this one is much more legible than tons of the others.
Although I particularly like the 'Tissier' bit.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Even better than a signed photo actually - a few years ago when I was at Paulton's Park (kiddies theme park nr Southampton) none other than Super Kevin Phillips was also there with his family. My daughter & I queued behind him for a water ride, and when we got to the photo stall at the end of ride I was kinda surprised that they allowed me to buy the photo of Super Kev and his daughter on the ride (you're in a dinghy on your own, it's not like they happened to be in our shot or anything)

So I have a souvenir photo of Kevin Phillips and his (circa five-year-old) daughter in a little dinghy. He looks more excited than she does actually. :geek:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Is it just me who is starting to become mildly concerned by Corby here?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Is it just me who is starting to become mildly concerned by Corby here?
Probably. I'd imagine you're a long way behind everyone else.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:my company was the matchday sponsor for a home game against Liverpool (we lost 2-1). I'll dig the programmes and stuff out from my loft if anyone's interested.
I was there! At that actual game! Used to hang around the bank entrance after the game scouting for signatures. Have just checked, and that day I got (from the Liverpool side of things) David James, Phil Babb, Dominic Matteo, Jamie Redknapp, and John Barnes :) I do have a program too - are you in that one? No idea where mine is.

Digger Barnes was an absolute player. He acted so cool, and after a minute or so of signing autographs, these two smoking hot blonde girls came out of nowhere, threw themselves all over him (literally, one on each arm and kissing his face) and he took them both onto the team coach. Hero.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:my company was the matchday sponsor for a home game against Liverpool (we lost 2-1). I'll dig the programmes and stuff out from my loft if anyone's interested.
I was there! At that actual game! Used to hang around the bank entrance after the game scouting for signatures. Have just checked, and that day I got (from the Liverpool side of things) David James, Phil Babb, Dominic Matteo, Jamie Redknapp, and John Barnes :) I do have a program too - are you in that one? No idea where mine is.

Digger Barnes was an absolute player. He acted so cool, and after a minute or so of signing autographs, these two smoking hot blonde girls came out of nowhere, threw themselves all over him (literally, one on each arm and kissing his face) and he took them both onto the team coach. Hero.
Well, my picture won't be in that programme (it's in the next one, against Nottingham Forest, doing the MotM award) but the programme should have "sponsored by J Corby Computer Services Ltd" on it in a few places, plus the page-advert I donated to charity (don't like to talk about it) will say that it's donated by me. Sure it's the right one? From memory I think it was August 1998, just after the France WC. Ostenstad put us ahead, Karlheinz Riedle equalised and little Micky scored the winner. When we went 1-0 my whole party sang "Tarby, what's the score!" to Jimmy Tarbuck, who was also in our VIP section. He had the last laugh, obviously :(
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Digger Barnes was an absolute player. He acted so cool, and after a minute or so of signing autographs, these two smoking hot blonde girls came out of nowhere, threw themselves all over him (literally, one on each arm and kissing his face) and he took them both onto the team coach. Hero.
Shows how standards were slipping at Liverpool in those days. Always had blondes on the coach, but not Newcastle United players normally.