COUNTDOWN SPECIALS *PLEASE READ*

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
D Eadie
Devotee

COUNTDOWN SPECIALS *PLEASE READ*

Post by D Eadie »

We're looking into the possibility of making some special stand-alone 30-min editions of Countdown in a few weeks time, possibly June 17th - the idea being these are aired at a later time of day during the back end of August.

Toying with the possibility of Goat Conundrums, putting different numbers on the 4 Large cards, and generally spicing up the gameplay a little, just for a week, just for 5 shows. Maybe even a numbers game special whereby some of you whizzkids take on Rachel etc. Am sure you get the drift.

Anyway, not really possible to do any of this without contestants, so if anyone is interested in theory, then please add your name to this thread or email me at damian.eadie@granadamedia.com

Only 5 shows, so no need for the purists to start worrying about the normal 45-min edition. Bear in mind that 5 shows equals 10 contestants, and not everyone will come from this forum, so don't feel maligned or upset if you're not asked.

Cheers
Damian ;)
Rob Thomas
Rookie

Re: COUNTDOWN SPECIALS *PLEASE READ*

Post by Rob Thomas »

For people who have not been on before right? Or open to all?

Cheers,

Rob.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I have My FP4 exams on the morning of June the 17th, so theres not much point in me putting my name forward.

Would there be tickets available as usual for these shows?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

OH GOD ME ME ME ME PLEASE
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

YES YES YES !!!!! (please)

I'd love a crack at a numbers challenge against Rachel, or a 'decider' against Reams, or anything. Anything. In fact, I'd be up for anything at all.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:YES YES YES !!!!! (please)

I'd love a crack at a numbers challenge against Rachel, or a 'decider' against Reams, or anything. Anything. In fact, I'd be up for anything at all.
Anything?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Rob Thomas wrote:For people who have not been on before right? Or open to all?
I would presume if anything it'd be exclusively for people who'd been on before and are moderately established (but I would also presume Damian will come along and clear it up soon enough).
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

It would amuse me to see a game where Jeff plays Rachel. Perhaps with a favourite DC guest taking up Jeffs usual role, and I previous numbers wizard playing Rachels role.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

D Eadie wrote:................ not everyone will come from this forum, so don't feel maligned or upset if you're not asked.

Cheers
Damian ;)
It would be good to SEE the likes of Charlie, Corby, DoDdie and Junaid doing battle again.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'd be keen, if only so the British public can see how much prettier I am without facial hair. Any kind of rematch from my earlier appearances would be quite amusing, since all 3 of my biggest scalps (Kai, Junaid, Corby) would probably mince me now.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'd like to see a Beevers v Hansford rematch.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Me, preferably against Callum or Conor.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:In fact, I'd be up for anything at all.
Anything?
Damian did say that these specials would be aired later in the day, which could mean post-watershed...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:Damian did say that these specials would be aired later in the day, which could mean post-watershed...
Your mind, gutter, etc.

:shock:
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I would be interested even though I haven't appeared on the show yet.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

No hard and fast rules re previous appearances, but i do think it's prob likely that debutants wouldn't feature much, it's not an ideal situation for making your first ever Countdown appearance.

Impossible to call any shots though until we know what possibilities we've got to play with.

Again, this is only a 'sounding out' exercise, not saying for definite it'll happen on June 17 or at all - and not post-watershed either, it'll be good clean wholesome stuff.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I nominate Kai Laddiman, he is now amazing and will impress everybody.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jon Corby wrote:I'd like to see a Beevers v Hansford rematch.
How about just jeffrey on his own, or maybe even a recap of when he was on before showing his best bits. I would literally die with laughter.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Hunter wrote:I nominate Kai Laddiman, he is now amazing and will impress everybody.
That'll be good for him, because everybody thought he was really shit last time and nobody was remotely impressed.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

JackHurst wrote:It would amuse me to see a game where Jeff plays Rachel. Perhaps with a favourite DC guest taking up Jeffs usual role, and I previous numbers wizard playing Rachels role.
That would be awesome, although if they were in separate shows (Jeff playing a standard game, Rachel a numbers attack) that would be as good.

Maybe Jeff v Jo Brand / Stephen Fry, Rachel v Junaid.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Another Cool idea:

Jeff team Vs Rachels team. Essentially, there would be a bunch of former contestants and DC guests, and Jeff and Rachel pick teams "kick about style", and then these teams play each other, with players form each team being alternated between rounds.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

JackHurst wrote:How about just jeffrey on his own, or maybe even a recap of when he was on before showing his best bits. I would literally die with laughter.
Why would you suggest something that would kill you?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

This sounds like great fun. I'll put my name forward on the off-chance that I might get picked. 8-)
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Would be interested... though obviously not as much of a CD legend as some of the others mentioned above.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Michael Wallace wrote:
JackHurst wrote:How about just jeffrey on his own, or maybe even a recap of when he was on before showing his best bits. I would literally die with laughter.
Why would you suggest something that would kill you?
Because i'd be incredibly happy to die under that circumstance.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:YES YES YES !!!!! (please)

This would be good. Particularly with a stipulation where you get her job if you win.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

With the amount of people interested in playing, how about either having a poll or some sort of tournament on apterous to win the right to play

Presumably Damien would have to agree to it
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

marc meakin wrote:With the amount of people interested in playing, how about either having a poll or some sort of tournament on apterous to win the right to play

No, it would be binding whether Damian liked it or not. We control everything.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

D Eadie wrote:We're looking into the possibility of making some special stand-alone 30-min editions of Countdown in a few weeks time, possibly June 17th - the idea being these are aired at a later time of day during the back end of August.
Damian, I know you said it will possibly be on June 17th, but if it was how would that work with the shows already set to be filmed on that day? Like mine, for example.
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

I'd like to see Jeff vs Rachel like what they did in the 1997 xmas special where it was Richard vs Carol.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

marc meakin wrote:With the amount of people interested in playing, how about either having a poll or some sort of tournament on apterous to win the right to play

Well there's no guarantee that Damian only wants the best players. Viewers may enjoy a Goatdown match more if they are not being beaten by uber-obscure words every round (which would clearly be much more likely to happen in goatdown than normal countdown). Or if he wants to do a grudge match, say between Charlie and Junaid, it would be a bit silly to have people competing for the right to appear in that. ;)
Also, if the best players are the ones playing, that reduces the already minuscule chance that I'll get on. :(

Is it just contestant spots up for grabs, or can we appear in any capacity? I'd like a crack at Jeff's job... 8-)
Last edited by Neil Zussman on Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Neil Zussman wrote:

Well there's no guarantee that Damien only wants the best players. Viewers may enjoy a Goatdown match more if they are not being beaten by uber-obscure words every round (which would clearly be much more likely to happen in goatdown than normal countdown). Or if he wants to do a grudge match, say between Charlie and Junaid, it would be a bit silly to have people competing for the right to appear in that. ;)
Also, if the best players are the ones playing, that reduces the already minuscule chance that I'll get on. :(

Is it just contestant spots up for grabs, or can we appear in any capacity? I'd like a crack at Jeff's job... 8-)
Impressive that you both managed to spell Damian's name wrongly in a thread started by him :lol:
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Neil Zussman wrote:

Well there's no guarantee that Damian only wants the best players. Viewers may enjoy a Goatdown match more if they are not being beaten by uber-obscure words every round (which would clearly be much more likely to happen in goatdown than normal countdown). Or if he wants to do a grudge match, say between Charlie and Junaid, it would be a bit silly to have people competing for the right to appear in that. ;)

Impressive that you both managed to spell Damian's name wrongly in a thread started by him :lol:
Shush. No-one saw nuffing. :?
In my defence, I used the piece I quoted as a reference. Besides, now you see why I don't want the best spellers to get the coveted places, so in effect, it just backs up my point. It was deliberate. :?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jeff vs. Rachel would be nice, but then there'd be the hassle of getting replacements in for a one-off game, so I doubt it'd be on the cards.

Laddiman, Kai vs. Laddiman, Callum surely has to be the perfect match for this sort of format and would certainly get my vote. If there was a vote. Which there isn't.

Another good game would be Joe Bolas vs. Amey Deshpande - TO THE DEATH! - but there may be some problems with that one.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I think it would be cool to have a completely Apterous game. For example, Junaid on the numbers board, Chris and Kirk in Dictionary Corner, Charlie as presenter, and then two contestants - Kai v Callum?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Would love to! And I'm sure my girlfriend (Lorraine Murtagh, fellow Apterite) would love to too :)

Edit: There's an idea: couple v couple, with some aggregate scoring system.
Last edited by Ian Volante on Wed May 27, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My hat = in the ring.

:)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Neil Zussman wrote:Also, if the best players are the ones playing, that reduces the already minuscule chance that I'll get on. :(
Aww is that the Series 60 Champion talking? ;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

JimBentley wrote: Another good game would be Joe Bolas vs. Amey Deshpande - TO THE DEATH! - but there may be some problems with that one.
Could you please explain why this game would be so good? I think these contestants go back to before i was a real fan.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Damian, you are E for excellent! High marks to you!

We gave you good ideas, didn't we?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Neil Zussman wrote:This sounds like great fun. I'll put my name forward on the off-chance that I might get picked. 8-)
Same here. I'd LOVE to do it!

This is so amazingly exciting! CONOR! Definitely. I'd love to see him go back on, being the greatest/most famous in recent times and being even better now than when he went on. Kai would be so fantastic and impressive as well. Also: DoD, Paul Howe, Charlie, Kirk, Junaid, Corby... there's just so many. Wow! Will be so great! :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Could this be a coincidence?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Numbers challenge: Rachel vs David Williams would get my vote if I had one.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Awesome, I'm definitely interested if there's even a slim chance of getting my ugly mug on screen again.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I knew Jimmy Gough would show interest in that because he is the most recent Octochamp.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

I may as well volunteer myself for whatever may be in store. I'd be exceptionally keen on spectating on this regardless though as it sounds juicy! Chances are I'll miss out entirely due to being in Thailand from 14th-29th June, but if another date which I can make comes up then there's up to 4 Micra spots from London available. ;)

I'd like to begin the clamour for Tony Warren to be a guest host too btw. :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dan, I'd like to see you then because I think you would be very entertaining to see!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I'd like to begin the clamour for Tony Warren to be a guest host too btw. :lol:
With Carol* doing the numbers?

* (not that Carol, Tony's Carol)
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Or how about some young kids playing Junior Countdown?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I'd like to begin the clamour for Tony Warren to be a guest host too btw.
Thought for a moment you were referring to Tony Warren MBE, a man whose fortunes are inextricably linked with those of the Granada studios. Come to think of it, he'd be a great DC guest.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I'd like to begin the clamour for Tony Warren to be a guest host too btw.
Thought for a moment you were referring to Tony Warren MBE, a man whose fortunes are inextricably linked with those of the Granada studios. Come to think of it, he'd be a great DC guest.
I concur! I would also like to see the creator of Coronation Street in DC, and I don't even watch the show!
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Put me down Damo, 100%.

What about me and Dino playing hypernumbers?

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=42167
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Jason Larsen wrote:Dan, I'd like to see you then because I think you would be very entertaining to see!
I think my life is now complete. Thank you, Jason! ;)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Excellent news. Can't remember when the last specials were on.
Matthew Green wrote:Put me down Damo, 100%.

Agreed! I'll also toss my hat into the ring as grandmas seem to love me. I'm also liking the idea of grudge matches and the return of Kai.
Stewart Holden
Series 51 Champion

Post by Stewart Holden »

I'll take part if I'm asked. I'm particularly keen on the 'goatdown' idea of having a 'blank' and/or nominated letter or any kind of letters variants like that. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matthew Green wrote:Put me down Damo, 100%.

Ahem. :D
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I'll throw my hat into the ring please :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Rich Priest wrote:I'll throw my hat into the ring please :)
hope its a big ring as it has lots of hats in it already

As there can only be a maximum of 10 contestants, what about having most of the audience made up of former octochamps and Apterites
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Real-life versions of the Apterous bots as a speedgoat between Howe and Prime would make great telly.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

marc meakin wrote:hope its a big ring as it has lots of hats in it already

As there can only be a maximum of 10 contestants, what about having most of the audience made up of former octochamps and Apterites
Who is the most senior person who bothers to post in here regularly (in terms of longest time ago on the show not age)? Is it Ben Wilson? I think he should be appointed decision-maker, so the final 10 is down to him as a reward for his commitment to the show and all that surrounds it.