Eurovision 2009

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Eurovision 2009 - What do you think?

It's stupid, it's dominated by the big countries and not the songs
No votes
It's brilliant, the songs are great and it's just a fun night
34%
I'm not really bothered
26%
It should be judged on the songs alone
14%
It's stupid, all the neighbouring countries vote for each other
26%

Total votes: 35

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Eurovision 2009

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Eurovision 2009 starts next Saturday, semi-finals on Tuesday and Thursday, and personally I can't wait.

It's possibly the only Saturday in the year in which I stay up til about 11 to listen to really catchy pop songs, most notably last year, Latvia, Armenia and Greece's entries.
The suspense in waiting to see who gets those prized 12 points.
Of course, not always the best song wins, and the neighbouring countries do vote for each other, but I don't care for the voting, more for the music.

I'm glad Terry Wogan has left because he was a bad commentator, making fun of all the songs.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Eurovision

Post by Martin Bishop »

This year's competition runs from Tuesday to Saturday. Am I alone in loving this cavalcade of musical oddities? I've watched every contest since 1993. It has to be the funniest thing on tv and the music has actually improved in recent years.

Here are some of my favourite entries.

Austrian madness from 2003.
Lithuania's song from 2006 (they didn't win).
This is my all time favourite and surely Germany's best ever effort. Guildo Hat Euch Lieb, 1998.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Eurovision

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Considering what won in 2006 and What we sent the following year you get the impression we might just as well not enter any more.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Eurovision 2009

Post by Derek Hazell »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:It's possibly the only Saturday in the year in which I stay up til about 11
I can still remember what a wonderful treat it was being allowed to stay up for special events when I was your age, so I understand your excitement!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:I'm glad Terry Wogan has left because he was a bad commentator, making fun of all the songs.
It's a controversial view, but I agree. I had never watched the show before until last year, but I had seen quite a few bits of it over the years, and I just didn't get his wisecracks at all. Last year I was visiting my dad, and he made me watch it, so I said I'd watch it if we had the sound off . . . and had the sound on Radio 2 (with Ken Bruce) instead.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:I'm glad Terry Wogan has left because he was a bad commentator, making fun of all the songs.
That was the only good thing about it...
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Terry Wogan did that because the competition is so obviously rigged where countries vote for their friends rather than whether it's a decent song or not! I never really watched the songs, just the results, mainly to hear Wogans fantastic commentary. Now he's left there's no point even watching that.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I guess I'm not alone, then. I should have concentrated more on writing that first post, instead of spending half an hour looking at youtube clips.

I agree about Armenia last year. I thought they were going to win. Greece had a good song too.

The UK has a strange attitude to Eurovision. We say "oh it's rubbish" and then enter a rubbish song, thinking that's what Europe wants. Then when it does badly (because it's rubbish) we get mad, blame bloc voting and threaten to quit. Anyway it's not about the winning, it's about laughing at foreigners.

I'm not that keen on our song this year, but maybe, by repeating the title a lot, non-English speakers will like it. Also, Andrew Lloyd Webber has quite a big international following. I don't think we'll win, but I think we'll at least justify our finals place by making the top 20.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Steve Durney wrote:

Terry Wogan did that because the competition is so obviously rigged where countries vote for their friends rather than whether it's a decent song or not! I never really watched the songs, just the results, mainly to hear Wogans fantastic commentary. Now he's left there's no point even watching that.
Eastern European countries take the competition far more seriously than the rest of the world. Dima Bilan, who won last year, is one of the biggest pop stars in Russia. It would be the equivalent of us sending Robbie Williams, instead of an X Factor loser. All the neighbouring countries voted for Russia, not just because they live next to Russia, but because they love Dima and his song had been played continuously on their versions of MTV for the past month.

It's not rigged, the Eastern Europeans are just better than us.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Martin Bishop wrote:
Steve Durney wrote:

Eastern European countries take the competition far more seriously than the rest of the world. Dima Bilan, who won last year, is one of the biggest pop stars in Russia. It would be the equivalent of us sending Robbie Williams, instead of an X Factor loser. All the neighbouring countries voted for Russia, not just because they live next to Russia, but because they love Dima and his song had been played continuously on their versions of MTV for the past month.

I can remember Terry Wogan sometimes correctly predicting who would vote for who. I cant remember the exact Countries, but sometimes a Country would get maximum points off another, as predicted by Wogan, when they were right at the bottom of the table with hardly any points. Coincidence perhaps?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

The trouble is that we do all the politically correct things and finish up with a crap singer and a crap song.

Even with Lloyd Webber involved we have a horrendously bad song this year and the catterwauling cow singing it has a slim to zero chance of winning IMO.

It should be fun though. We always watch it but without Terry Wogan commentating it will be harder work this year.
Last edited by Allan Harmer on Sat May 16, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Bishop wrote:It's not rigged, the Eastern Europeans are just better than us.
I think that's oversimplifying it enormously. There are various groups of countries that are more inclined to vote for others (the most obvious, of course, being Greece and Cyprus), there's also a paper somewhere that identifies sets of countries that are much more likely to vote for each other. Of course, separating out what is political "I'm voting for them because I like the country (for whatever reason", from what isn't is not easy. There's also the fact that different cultures have different tastes in music, which makes having a large number of countries who aren't particularly diverse culturally a problem (at least in the sense of making it less a European competition and more an eastern European one). Whilst I think our entries have been a bit rubbish (last year's was astonishingly bland), I think other countries, in particular Switzerland the last couple of years, have suffered from more than merely having a 'bad' song

This year they're introducing a half public vote, half jury vote system, which should be interesting, not least because of the new potential for massive drama.

Edit: Oh, and Terry Wogan was fantastic (even if he did criticise Bosnia and Herzegovina's entry last year, the bastard), and there's now ay Graham Norton could not be rubbish by comparison.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Steve Durney wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote: Eastern European countries take the competition far more seriously than the rest of the world. Dima Bilan, who won last year, is one of the biggest pop stars in Russia. It would be the equivalent of us sending Robbie Williams, instead of an X Factor loser. All the neighbouring countries voted for Russia, not just because they live next to Russia, but because they love Dima and his song had been played continuously on their versions of MTV for the past month.

I can remember Terry Wogan sometimes correctly predicting who would vote for who. I cant remember the exact Countries, but sometimes a Country would get maximum points off another, as predicted by Wogan, when they were right at the bottom of the table with hardly any points. Coincidence perhaps?
Admittedly, I did oversimplify matters, but so is suggesting it's rigged.

I'm not saying that there aren't some nations who will always vote for each other. Greece and Cyprus, Romania and Moldova, Spain and Andorra, etc. However, it's not just because of the geographical location that Eastern Europeans (and Spain and Andorra) vote for each other. Nor is it because the votes are rigged. These nations send established acts who are known across the border. Eastern Europe also tends to provide good songs.

Last year, UK, France, Spain, Switzerland and Portugal, gave 12 points to Greece, Armenia, Romania, Serbia and Ukraine, respectively.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Bishop wrote:Admittedly, I did oversimplify matters, but so is suggesting it's rigged.
Oh yeah, definitely. I meant to respond to that as well, but got lost somewhere.

I'm not really convinced by "Eastern Europe also tends to provide good songs", though. I'd have to actually go back and properly remind myself before I could reliably quote numbers (which would obviously be subjective anyway), but they have an advantage in numbers to begin with, and if you simply mean that a higher percentage of Eastern European entries tend to be 'good' compared to the West, then I would probably disagree (as I've said, I think Switzerland have had one of the best songs the last couple of years, and Andorra's entry a couple of years ago was pretty good too, but your mileage may vary, etc.). I think the strongest point is, as you say, that they have artists who are already famous in neighbouring countries - I find the idea of it being rigged a bit silly, really.
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Sat May 09, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Rigged was obviously a wrong word to use (I'm tired!) just think it's ridiculous that some Countries are always gonna vote for their mates regardless. Makes a mockery of the competition IMO.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

The phenomenally gay Deen (9th place for Bosnia and Herzegovina in Eurovision 2004 with "In The Disco") emailed me in 2005 wishing to collaborate on an English-language musical project "to be realized in all countries". In retrospect, it was probably a mistake to send him a link to the stuff I was doing at the time as I didn't hear back from him again.

I know, I'm an idiot. It's not like Eastern European pop stars ask me to collaborate with them every day. I should've just embraced the insanity and seen where it would go next.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Eurovision totally rawkles my sawkles :D Have watched enthusiastically since 1998, only missed one live since then. I'm even cheekily trying to get the Saturday coming off work for it, danged latenights :D I especially loved Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Finlands' entries last year, and agree with the general viewpoint that currently more successful nations have a tendency to send more established stars and, 'higher quality' songs. (Or rather, those more popular as opposed to something completely batshit like Dustin the Turkey and his lyrics, or indeed Guildo, albeit this latter was totally hilarious as it was novel at the time.) I think it's gone a tad downhill in the last couple of years, I mean last year's presentation was fabulous, but with semi-finals available I miss the unique atmosphere competition night used to bring, and the unpredicability in voting because of the closer competition between more songs.

Regarding the current Eastern European victories, it'd be fair to say that Scandinavian nations probably felt the same negativity in some small part at least, towards the rest of the then competing nations when they all first entered. Norway's nul points cases are infamous, and Denmark never did brilliantly for a long time.
Iceland have been robbed before though. I tend to prefer the Eastern songs so in some ways I wish other countries would send better stuff, even if they only see it as something fun and kooky.

I also agree Terry Wogan used to act like a feckwad in denigrating the show and its songs, and often interrupting the presenters or talking too much! Like me! :P

Fave ever songs?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Michael Wallace wrote:Edit: Oh, and Terry Wogan was fantastic (even if he did criticise Bosnia and Herzegovina's entry last year, the bastard), and there's now ay Graham Norton could not be rubbish by comparison.
Yes, yes, yes! Bosnias entry was amazing, I'm glad I've finally found someone else who agrees! 8-)
The UK won't win, obviously, and won't even come in the top half, but I confidently predict that we'll be in the final. :D
None of the entries in the poll accurately represent my feelings though- "It's brilliant, the songs are awful and it's just a fun night" would be quite close. But bad songs are what all the fun's about. And Wogan's snide remarks, which we will unfortunately have to do without. Although from reading the comments, we could do with a poll to see whether or not people think Wogan's absence is a good thing or not.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Neil Zussman wrote:snide remarks, which we will unfortunately have to do without
If Norton uses the same writers that he uses on "The Graham Norton Show" then the remarks will still be very snide, and may even be bitchy and nasty as well!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Neil Zussman wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Edit: Oh, and Terry Wogan was fantastic (even if he did criticise Bosnia and Herzegovina's entry last year, the bastard), and there's now ay Graham Norton could not be rubbish by comparison.
:?
Yes, yes, yes! Bosnias entry was amazing, I'm glad I've finally found someone else who agrees! 8-)
Totally. I was genuinely a bit surprised it didn't do better.

I wouldn't be astonished if we did manage to finish in the top half - our entry seems to be a bit more in keeping with what has done well recently, and the singer seems alright, and whilst the chorus goes a bit long it's a lot more noticeable than last year's entry. On the other hand, I had great hopes for Scooch, so...

Edit: Didn't realise how good the draw went for us - 23rd out of 25th, so we've even got that on our side.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I thought Sebastian Tellier's entry for France last year was teh awesomesz, but it finished well down in the bottom half somewhere. The UK's entry this year is unremittingly awful, so it'll probably win.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

JimBentley wrote:I thought Sebastian Tellier's entry for France last year was teh awesomesz, but it finished well down in the bottom half somewhere.
I agree. I loved that song. It definitely deserved to be marked higher than it did.

I'm not saying that the Eastern Europeans don't have an advantage. It is very hard these days for a Western nation to compete. It's just that there's more to it than the countries being friends or having large minority populations from neighbouring countries. Not all Eastern European countries send good songs, but there are some, like Ukraine and Greece, that have consistently produced very good entries for several years now.

For Wogan fans, here's a rundown of the songs in 2006 with his commentary.

I'm optimistic that Graham Norton will do as good a job as old Tel. He certainly has done very well hosting the Eurovision Dance Contest, insulting the entire nation of Lithuania in the process.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'd go for option two, but with the change that the songs are crap.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JimBentley wrote:The phenomenally gay Deen (9th place for Bosnia and Herzegovina in Eurovision 2004 with "In The Disco").
I'm phenomenally ashamed to say without clicking the link I can actually remember most of the words to this! He really was a thuper-gay
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JimBentley wrote:I thought Sebastian Tellier's entry for France last year was teh awesomesz.
Yeah it was pretty minted. Hasn't it been used in a car advert since?

Also the Bosnia Herzegovina one MW and NZ mentioned- Was that the one with people who looked like they'd come straight out of Sweeney Todd?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Also the Bosnia Herzegovina one MW and NZ mentioned- Was that the one with people who looked like they'd come straight out of Sweeney Todd?
Yes.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Eoin Monaghan wrote: Of course, not always the best song wins, and the neighbouring countries do vote for each other, but I don't care for the voting, more for the music.
By and large, it's not countries voting for their neighbours because they're friends. Most European countries don't actually like their neighbours. (Scandinavia excepted.)

It's expatriates voting for their own countries. Germany will give 12 points to Turkey, because there's a lot of Turks in Germany. Cyprus will give 12 points to Greece, because there's a lot of Greeks in Cyprus. Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania will give high marks to Russia, ditto. Etc. East European countries do well because there's alot of East Europeans in Western Europe.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote: Of course, not always the best song wins, and the neighbouring countries do vote for each other, but I don't care for the voting, more for the music.
By and large, it's not countries voting for their neighbours because they're friends. Most European countries don't actually like their neighbours. (Scandinavia excepted.)

It's expatriates voting for their own countries. Germany will give 12 points to Turkey, because there's a lot of Turks in Germany. Cyprus will give 12 points to Greece, because there's a lot of Greeks in Cyprus. Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania will give high marks to Russia, ditto. Etc. East European countries do well because there's alot of East Europeans in Western Europe.
{{citation needed}}
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

No citation, it's my own thoughts.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote:No citation, it's my own thoughts.
That's what I figured, but maybe you should lay off the air of authority when speculating without evidence.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

OK. But I bet I'm right. IMO. ;)
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Great opening line:

"Don't vote now, or the fairy gets it!"
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

They were all rubbih tonight, roll on Thursday...

Ok, Finland weren't bad
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Eoin you thought they were all rubbish? Are you serious?

I ended up missing most of the songs in live so I had to make do with the double recap, but I'm very surprised FYR and Montenegro didn't get through. I have Sweden as hot favourites right now, Iceland look good, but from what I've seen of Thursday's entries, it's gonna be damned competitive this year :D
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Finland easily had the best song, and one of the best band names too. Switzerland's song was also good, but they were let down by the singing. Bosnia's entry was far inferior to last years, but it got through somehow. Like Daniel, I was a bit disappointed Macedonia didn't get through, but you can't have everything. Roll on Thursday!
Daniel O'Dowd wrote:Iceland look good
I assume you mean this literally? :P
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Neil Zussman wrote:Finland easily had the best song, and one of the best band names too. Switzerland's song was also good, but they were let down by the singing. Bosnia's entry was far inferior to last years, but it got through somehow. Like Daniel, I was a bit disappointed Macedonia didn't get through, but you can't have everything. Roll on Thursday!
It was in the back of my mind, but gramatically I meant sonically :P She is an awesome hot piece of woman though. :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Pretty shocked that FYR Macedonia and Montenegro didn't get through. Portugal and Bosnia benefiting rather enormously from the recency effect. Sweden had a nice chorus, but the verse was appalling - I'm quite surprised they made it. Armenia to win for me, from those that got through (FYR being my favourite of the evening, except perhaps for Belgium).
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:
Neil Zussman wrote:Finland easily had the best song, and one of the best band names too. Switzerland's song was also good, but they were let down by the singing. Bosnia's entry was far inferior to last years, but it got through somehow. Like Daniel, I was a bit disappointed Macedonia didn't get through, but you can't have everything. Roll on Thursday!
It was in the back of my mind, but gramatically I meant sonically :P She is an awesome hot piece of woman though. :D
Yes she was. Where are Corby's images when you need them? ;)
On second thoughts, I might regret asking that... :shock: :o
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Oh my goodness, I forgot how soon it was! Which is quite difficult to do when you've been in Russia for a week, driven past Olimpiskiy Stadium (the venue, which was covered all around with posters) seen various adverts and posters. I thought it was hilarious that the theme this year seems to be pretty women- seriously, the posters on the Stadium had a picture of one woman for each country, and our one was blonde and otherwise boring. At Domodedovo (sp?) Airport in Moscow, they sold Eurovision merchandise in duty-free. The t-shirts were expensive, the caps were probably just as bad, so I bought a Eurovision 09 badge! My friend, lucky her, could afford a cap!

I don't watch the semi-finals because it spoils the final for me, but that means missing out on some possibly good songs! I will miss Terry Wogan's commentary, but I watch it for the songs too. I remember 2007 being a great year- some of the songs could have easily passed for real pop songs etc. I put them all on my iPod! I'll be watching it this Saturday.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:Eoin you thought they were all rubbish? Are you serious?

I ended up missing most of the songs in live so I had to make do with the double recap, but I'm very surprised FYR and Montenegro didn't get through. I have Sweden as hot favourites right now, Iceland look good, but from what I've seen of Thursday's entries, it's gonna be damned competitive this year :D
Ok, they weren't all rubbish. I liked Turkey, Finland, Montenegro and I sort of enjoyed Belgium, aswell as others I couldn't be bothered naming!. Sweden were good but and Armenia but Czech Republic were just awful.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I like Ireland's chances of qualifying this year.

What have the Serbians done to Mike McShane's hair?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Martin Bishop wrote:I like Ireland's chances of qualifying this year.

What have the Serbians done to Mike McShane's hair?
Yeah, me too ;)

Greece were OK, Denmark were good but Norway were brilliant, my favourites so far, except for Ireland, as you would expect.

Et cetera!
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

I have to admit my surprised based on performance so far that Greece should be a favourite; Norway on the other hand, fantastic. That Hungarian song was terrible! Ireland were great, just wasn't quite right for a potential win, but I do hope they progress. Lots of very close-together songs there, my dark horse tip for the voting is Cyprus. Beautiful. Song.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Not many surprises in the voting there then.

I'm majorly disappointed that Cyprus didn't get through, but that Estonia's wonderful entry did gladdens me. No Serbia or Slovakia either, those do surprise me. But the others are all quality and I think this will be a very close final!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Wow, that was rubbish. Ireland were alright but were never going to get through with that style (and because they're Ireland), Norway and Ukraine were pretty good (although the latter only for the performance), Cyprus were quite pleasant but the singer wasn't up to it, Croatia were pretty appalling, and whilst yes primacy and recency, the fact they got through whilst Montenegro didn't on Tuesday is a bit weird. Greece was rubbish, but a memorable performance, Lithuania seemed to be singing about paedophilia, and Denmark somehow get through for the second year running with an utterly mediocre song.

I'm still on for Armenia, but I may revise that once I've seen how the second semi-finalists place in the order for Saturday.

Edit: Norway are on 20th (out of 25), that could seal it for them, although Armenia are 99/1 at betfair, hmm...
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

My predictions for thye top 10: (actually what I hope happens) :D

1. Finland
2. Norway
3. Sweden
4. Greece
5. Armenia
6. Denmark
7. Albania
8. Germany
9. Iceland
10. Turkey

25. United Kingdom :D
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Not sure it will be worth watching this year without Terry Wogan, but will no doubt give it a go.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

All the signs point to a UK win this year. We're the 4th favourites, apparently, which must mean people like our song. We'll have Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber on stage, a well known figure, which may get us a few votes as well. And we have a favourable running position, the antepenultimate song, so we should be fresh in the voters minds. Also, I reckon people will vote for us just to piss the British taxpayer off at a bad time for finances- spending loads of money hosting the thing next year if we do win will really please people!
Remember, you read it here first! ;)
If we don't win, Norway probably will, although I really hope they don't. They may be the favourities, and I can sort of see how people may like their song, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Out of the other favourities, I prefer the Greek song, although there are other songs that I prefer even more. The performance is worth watching though.
From the rest, I'd like to see Estonia win. IMHO, they just have a really nice song. They've never won it, so now would be a good time to start. And as I said earlier, I also really enjoy the Finnish song.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

It has begun! Lithuania is up first, and there's a singalong option if you have the red button. It's great, but Lithuania's song is kind of ridiculous, especially in the chorus- if you love the love that you really love, then surely that love would love would love you back or something!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I'm one of those people, Neil, who will love Norway's song. I really think it's the clearest winner I've seen. Admittedly, I've only ever backed one winner (Ukraine 2004).

Am I alone in enjoying Moldova's entry? Graham's been so mean about them. I'll do the hora if no one else does.

Albania's is another entry I like. It took me two viewings to get over the jolly green gimp and notice that it was actually an excellent song. That may end up harming their chances.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I liked Norway, but the singer reminded me of Zac Efron crossed with one of the Jonas brothers. I really liked Moldova's- it was very catchy and fast-paced! Albania was okay, but there were catchier ones. What do we think about Ronan Keating writing lyrics for Denmark? Denmark's singer was like a clone of Ronan Keating too!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Duncan from Blue! What's he doing there? Bring back Fearne Cotton!

The return of the jury is really helping us. It could be back to the glory days of second place every year.

Did anyone else notice Jade getting a whack from one of her violinists? I hope Arlene Phillips gave that guy a smack.
Hannah O wrote:I liked Norway, but the singer reminded me of Zac Efron crossed with one of the Jonas brothers.
I thought he was meant to be a hobbit.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Norway is now the best ever. But I loved Portugal for giving 12 to Moldova. We noticed Jade get hit, but to her credit, she didn't even waver! It was exciting to see Duncan, but didn't the Cyprus woman have an English accent?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I don't understand the appeal of the Norway song at all, very strangely popular. Azerbaijan got the theoretical vote from here...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Well, out of all the bloc voting (and it wasn't as bad as previous years), Azerbaijan's entire votes were bloc. From 1-12 points, they were all for neighbours and close counties. A lot of the songs are catchy, even if the visual element isn't that great, and some songs grow on you the more you hear them, like on recaps.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Martin Bishop wrote:I'm one of those people, Neil, who will love Norway's song. I really think it's the clearest winner I've seen. Admittedly, I've only ever backed one winner (Ukraine 2004).

Am I alone in enjoying Moldova's entry? Graham's been so mean about them. I'll do the hora if no one else does.

Albania's is another entry I like. It took me two viewings to get over the jolly green gimp and notice that it was actually an excellent song. That may end up harming their chances.
I disagree with you about Norways entry, but I must admit the Moldova song has really grown on me. I also think the lute-i hora in Moldova. Lyrics for it are here if you're interested: http://lyrics.dainutekstai.lt/846686/eu ... oldova.htm With translation too :)
Watching the votes come in with my housemates German girlfriend was quite amusing, although they didn't come last unfortunately. Not even Dita Von Teese could save them.
We also noticed Jade get hit by the violinist, but you can't blame him- he has to put his arm in the right place to play the correct tune, whereas her head could be anywhere whilst she is singing! She did recover very well though.
There were quite a few underrated songs, I thought. Can't believe Finland came last. Maybe it's a sign that white guys shouldn't rap.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

The new voting system was a massive success. While you will never stop Cyprus from giving Greece 12 points, the voting for neighbours was far less pervasive than in previous years. I never thought it would help us so much. To me, a top 20 finish would have been a success. Top 5 is amazing, perhaps the big publicity campaign paid off here in addition to the juries.

I think what made Norway so good is that they had an original and interesting gimmick and carried it through in every aspect of the performance. It wasn't just the outfits and the dancers. The sweet simplicity of the song itself played into the fairytale theme and really made it stand out. Also, Europeans love fiddles. It deserved to win far more than Greece or Ukraine, who I think would have run it closer under the old system.

The Eastern Europeans really have done wonders for the contest. Their success has convinced a bunch of established acts to enter for Western countries and the overall standard has got much higher. Apart from Germany.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Martin Bishop wrote:I think what made Norway so good is that they had an original and interesting gimmick and carried it through in every aspect of the performance. It wasn't just the outfits and the dancers. The sweet simplicity of the song itself played into the fairytale theme and really made it stand out. Also, Europeans love fiddles. It deserved to win far more than Greece or Ukraine, who I think would have run it closer under the old system.
There really did seem to be a sharp increase in the number of violin-like instruments this year. Norway, Estonia, Azerbaijan and others all used them to great effect. Nice to see some countries giving the accordion some airtime too.
I agree that Norway deserved to win more than Ukraine- the Greek song is maybe a slight favourite over Norway in my eyes, but only slightly. I just think both songs lacked that little something though to make them into a really good Eurovision song. The Moldovans sang about their country. The Armenians wore (presumably) some traditional Armenian dress. The Portuguese played what sounded like some traditional Portuguese folk music (though I could be way off on that assessment). I just think the Norwegian song was not really that gimmicky, it was something I could have heard from one of a number of British artists on the radio, and not taken much notice of. Like an inferior version of Taylor Swift's Love Story. But the Eurovision voters showed that (as usual) I know nothing.

I realise that may sound a little bit patronising to the likes of Armenia and Portugal, but that's not my aim. It's just nice to here some typical Armenian/ Portuguese music, sung (at least partly) in English. Not something you hear very often of the radio...