Inspirations and audition times

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom
Acolyte

Inspirations and audition times

Post by Tom »

Hi guys thought I'd start up a thread purely for interest of hearing individual experiences, before any of you went on the show, were there any particular player(s) that inspired you to go on? I can't recall anyone particular, but some of the top players in series 41 and particular Scott Mearns were definitely inspirational in improving my overall game.

I applied for the show aged 15, still in the 9 round format I remember against contestants averaging around 60+ a game and when I spotted in one round the 9 letter word TANDISEEG (and an anagram of it!) I decided to apply.

Interested to hear as well how long it took between applying and auditioning. Mine took a total of 11 months. I remember e-mailing Damian 9 months into it checking if my form was there :) The time between the audition and actually appearing took 8 weeks.

And lastly for fun and boredom, how many letters of the alphabet can you stick at the begginning of ANDISEEG to get a 9 letter word? apart from T and G, I can think of 1 more ;)
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Inspirations and audition times

Post by Jon Corby »

RANDISEEG is one...

My whole lifecycle was pretty tight, other than the CoC. I think I applied in January, auditioned in February, filmed heats in March and then finals in April (2006) and then filmed CoC in Dec 2008.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I applied about 6 weeks ago and have had a call today arranging a telephone audition for next week - 6 letters games, 2 numbers games, 3 conundrums.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

A telephone audition?
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Ian Dent wrote:A telephone audition?
Yep, apparently there are no auditions in Birmingham or Nottingham soon so they're trying it over the phone to see how it works.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Darren Carter wrote:
Yep, apparently there are no auditions in Birmingham or Nottingham soon so they're trying it over the phone to see how it works.
Conundrums might be a bit difficult. In my audition, they turned over a piece of paper with the scramble on it, but that would be a rather silly thing to do during a phonecall. In all the other rounds, Lara (or whoever else is doing it) reads out the letters and numbers anyway, so there would be no disadvantage in being on the other end of a phoneline. Also, they can't accuse you of cheating by looking at your neighbours work (which I'm sure nobody would do anyway).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:
Conundrums might be a bit difficult. In my audition, they turned over a piece of paper with the scramble on it, but that would be a rather silly thing to do during a phonecall. In all the other rounds, Lara (or whoever else is doing it) reads out the letters and numbers anyway, so there would be no disadvantage in being on the other end of a phoneline. Also, they can't accuse you of cheating by looking at your neighbours work (which I'm sure nobody would do anyway).
At my audition they just read out the conundrums, which didn't help when presented with MINDNOISE and I wrote down MINEDNOISE...
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:
Also, they can't accuse you of cheating by looking at your neighbours work (which I'm sure nobody would do anyway).
But they could accuse you of cheating by using the internet. I definitely will not do that however as I only want to go on the show if they think I'm good enough - if you cheat the way through your audition and then go on the show and you are absolutely rubbish, you will look like a right tool.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Michael Wallace wrote:
At my audition they just read out the conundrums, which didn't help when presented with MINDNOISE and I wrote down MINEDNOISE...
Dimension?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Part of being in a physical audition is playing "against" other people (even though you're not, it still appears that way as other people declare 8s and 7s and you only have a 6 you start panicking). Phone auditions will take some of that fear away. The nerves building up to the big audition day play a big part and I think this is lost with phone auditions.

On the positive side, the Countdown finances will be severely saved with not having to fork out travel expenses and hotels for the staff managing the auditions and they can be done quicker. That means getting more contestants on the show during a time when they're struggling.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Darren Carter wrote:But they could accuse you of cheating by using the internet. I definitely will not do that however as I only want to go on the show if they think I'm good enough - if you cheat the way through your audition and then go on the show and you are absolutely rubbish, you will look like a right tool.
Yes, I'm an idiot, I didn't think of that. Loud keyboard tapping should probably be avoided.
There are going to be some long pauses during the phone conversation...

To get back on topic, I applied last Summer (August or September, can't remember which), audition in October and filmed in January (shown in February). So I think I'm right in saying that I recorded my shows almost as soon as I could- I think when I auditioned, all the spaces for series 59 had been filled, then came the CofC, and I appeared in the third week of the new series. I don't know whether they had a lack of applicants, or they noticed my talent and fast-tracked me onto the show, but I know which I'd like to think :D (but I also know which is more likely... :( )
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

The person who first inspired me to go on was Conor. Being the same age, I remember watching him with complete amazement as he came up with so many ridiculous words and wishing I could be as good. I suppose it was watching him that made Countdown really appealing and from then on I watched it as much as I can. My favourite contestant and probably the best of all time.

Second was David O'Donnell. Not only is he a Countdown genius but he came across as such a cool guy on TV. This was around the same time I found the forum and I was like OMG Conor and Dod are both members. From then on I was Countdown obsessed. David's series was probably my favourite and the first one I properly followed and understood seedings and all of that stuff. Jonathon Coles, Richard Priest and MMC were also great contestants.

Most importantly is obviously Charlie, tbh I don't think I'd ever have got on or really bother to apply if it wasn't for apterous and the forum and stuff. Without the Countdown database and the info on all past contestants, etc. Countdown would just be like another game show but with all the history and all the legends who've been on, it's something really cool to be a part of.

Oh and auditions - I bet I win on quickness. I applied February, auditioned March and went on late March :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I don't know what inspired me to go on, I can't think of anyone who really made me do it (but I don't have many memories of watching Conutdown about a year ago); plus, I hadn't discovered the forum or apterous or anything (except TCP (gah that sounds wrong)) when I went on :D

I reckon I win on slowness though: can't remember when I applied for the second time, but my second audition was Jan 3rd and I first filmed on August 28th :o However, this was due to Carol's ONLY FLIPPIN' DAY OFF WORK IN 26 FLIPPIN' YEARS on April 21st.
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Sat May 09, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Carol's ONLY FLIPPIN' DAY OF WORK IN 26 FLIPPIN' YEARS on April 21st.
No wonder she got sacked.

Discovering TCP was also instrumental in me getting really into Countdown, but it was too hard to get hold of so I moved onto peyote.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Carol's ONLY FLIPPIN' DAY OF WORK IN 26 FLIPPIN' YEARS on April 21st.
No wonder she got sacked.
Oops, it's mazing what one missing letter can do.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Yeah Mike's website was great, I trawled round the net for ages to find audition details then I think I e-mailed him and got them. Those days only his site and the classic Channel 4 forum were the only sites around ha ha.

Telephone auditions?? so much more easier to cheat lol. Maybe we'll see someone score 0 on the show :D I notice from reading certain posts that people who were on the show several years previously have been given a 2nd stab, does anyone know if there are a shortage of contestants at present?
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After 30 years I have decided to re apply.(after a disastrous audition in London)
I have had my email and an audition by phone arranged tomorrow.
Only problem is the audition information won't open on my phone
Can anyone who has been through it recently give me some idea what's involved
Cheers
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Marc Meakin wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:47 pm After 30 years I have decided to re apply.(after a disastrous audition in London)
I have had my email and an audition by phone arranged tomorrow.
Only problem is the audition information won't open on my phone
Can anyone who has been through it recently give me some idea what's involved
Cheers
My audition consisted of a little bit of small talk and then 6 letters rounds, 2 numbers rounds and a conundrum. I heard back a few days after the audition.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It went OK.
I ballsed up one of the numbers round but Apart from missing a 9 I done well with the letters getting 4 8s and 2, 7s got the conundrum aswell

Will know on Friday.
Think it went well on the banter front apart from saying that I used to hate Leeds United which Tom supports ๐Ÿ˜Š
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just had second audition. (didn't get through first one due to failing a numbers round)
Went well got a 9, four 8s and a 7 in the letters round got 1 spot on and was 3 away in the other numbers round and the conundrum
Will get an email in a couple of days.๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿคž

I am hopeful
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Excellent, good luck Marc!
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: โ†‘Wed May 04, 2022 4:08 pm Excellent, good luck Marc!
Presumably no news is good news as its been a week and no email.
I got my first rejection email after 3 days
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Marc Meakin wrote: โ†‘Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 am
At least you got a rejection email; I was just left in the dark after all my applications (3 so far) with no contact at all (not even for an audition).
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Christy Cooper wrote: โ†‘Fri May 13, 2022 12:06 am
Marc Meakin wrote: โ†‘Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 am
At least you got a rejection email; I was just left in the dark after all my applications (3 so far) with no contact at all (not even for an audition).
Sorry about that.
Are you sure there wasn't any emails in your spam folder.

To rub salt in your wounds I have just got my email saying I passed my audition I have filled in the covid document so I'm just waiting for a date
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Already nervous.
Any tips are welcome.
It looks easy from home.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Get onto apto - really there's nothing like practice
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Nice one Marc!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You'll nail it.

(Wel, obviously I don't know that, but it seems like the right thing to say.)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: โ†‘Fri May 13, 2022 9:20 pm You'll nail it.

(Wel, obviously I don't know that, but it seems like the right thing to say.)
I havent set my sights higher than winning a teapot.
But its a bucket list tick to appear.
My first audition was 20 plus years ago
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Good luck Marc!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JackHurst wrote: โ†‘Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm Good luck Marc!
Thanks.
Been on the app a lot just lately
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Marc Meakin wrote: โ†‘Sun May 15, 2022 11:41 am
Thanks.
Make sure you mention it on TV! :P
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: โ†‘Sun May 15, 2022 11:43 am
Marc Meakin wrote: โ†‘Sun May 15, 2022 11:41 am
Thanks.
Make sure you mention it on TV! :P
Available at all good app stores.
Probably wouldn't make the edit though ๐Ÿ˜Š
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Is there a large variation in taping and broadcasting times for contestants?
I may be recording in July or August ( although there is no guarantee ddue to high demand)
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Marc Meakin wrote: โ†‘Thu May 19, 2022 6:50 pm Is there a large variation in taping and broadcasting times for contestants?
I may be recording in July or August ( although there is no guarantee ddue to high demand)
It's around two/three months atm.