World Snooker Championship 2009

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Who will win the World Snooker Championship?

Ronnie O'Sullivan
20%
Stephen Maguire
3%
Mark Selby
23%
John Higgins
23%
Any other seeded player
23%
A qualifier
7%

Total votes: 30

Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

World Snooker Championship 2009

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Starts tomorrow. So exciting! With my current job I'll be able to watch far more of the tournament this year than last. Anybody else a fan? Prediction to win?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: World Snooker Championship 2009

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I want A. Person to win.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

If O'sullivan plays his best, he'll win everything. But he rarely reaches his full potential. It'd be nice to see Ali Carter do well again, after being runner-up last year. But my money would be on 'A.N.Other seeded player to win.' But I don't know who.
It's only a matter of time before the Chinese take over, and eventually they'll probably dominate this sport like they do so many others. But hopefully, not for a while yet.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Neil Zussman wrote:But hopefully, not for a while yet.
Why?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Why?
Because people like supporting teams/players from their own country?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:
Why?
I suppose so but if there are loads of awesome, exciting young Chinese players it'd make the sport more fun to watch. I'd rather see a better snooker player win than, say, Peter Ebdon just because he's British.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

I'm inclined to agree with Ronnie - I think it'll be another year for John Higgins.
__
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I've put a fiver on Ding this year at 16/1. He's in the much tougher half of the draw, but somebody's got to emerge from that to probably play Ronnie in the final (if Ronnie doesn't go mad or anything) and I think he's good value.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
I suppose so but if there are loads of awesome, exciting young Chinese players it'd make the sport more fun to watch. I'd rather see a better snooker player win than, say, Peter Ebdon just because he's British.
Snooker is driven by the personalities of its top players. The current crop of Chinese players suggests that whilst they'll be a joy to watch on the table, they'll offer little charisma to the game. Also what Michael said...whilst Ebbo, Dott and others make me wanna switch over, most top home grown players in today's game are high quality break builders, far more watchable than any other generation of talent.

I'm looking forward as always to the championship; my money has to be on Ronnie, as always it's his to lose. The only player who has the game to beat an in-form Ronnie is John Higgins. The final session on Bank Holiday Monday is onje of my favourite evenings of the year. I'm also intrigued by the new format that will be on exhibition, with just 6 reds.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Massive snooker fan, play a lot as well. May as well go for someone that makes me look clever if i'm right, so I'll pick Mark Williams. I want Steve Davis to win it tho!!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Andrew Hulme wrote:Massive snooker fan, play a lot as well. May as well go for someone that makes me look clever if i'm right, so I'll pick Mark Williams. I want Steve Davis to win it tho!!
Yeah, I'd like to see Steve win it too, just one last big one.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Yeah been a big snooker fan for years, got a sneaky feeling Hendry will win it.

Maguire is another to look out for in the bottom half of the draw.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Probably my third favourite sport behind rugby league and cricket. I'm fully expecting Ronnie "Faceache" O'Sullivan to win if he plays half-decently, but there's always a chance he could get bored and let someone else in. Robertson or Selby maybe.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I don't much care for O'Sullivan or McGuire because of the sulking and pouting.
I like watching Mark Selby play. Great when he is on song, and I like his temperament.
It's a pity that the BBC seem to be easing Clive Everton out of his place in the commentary team.
Some of the commentators talk too much.
Because they have been snooker players, it does not follow that they will be good commentators.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Mark Selby's gonna win. I'll win £90 if he does :D
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Mark Allen all the way
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I've only just found this thread, and thought I'd take the opportunity to boast that I am working at the Crucible for the duration of the championships. :P

Who'll win? Tough shout - I'd like to say Selby if he gets through tonight, but maybe it's not to be. Who knows? It's sure not Ding Junhui, who I had a fiver on!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Mark Allen all the way
Agreed! :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I can't vote now because it's way too late, but I think Mark Allen is a future World Champion. There are perhaps a few flaws in his game, but he's pretty young too. I'd also like to see the game become more international. China and the East is a good start, but also Europe and North America. At the moment there's no way that snooker can get in the Olympics because it's not international enough -- softball was dropped because among other reasons, the USA won it virtually every time, which made the competition quite stale.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Did anyone catch any bookmakers odds before the semis started? With the score now, the current odds aren't too relevant.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Mark Allen all the way
Agreed! :)
Do you know anything about snooker David or is this one of those bizarre were-part-of-the-UK-but-not-England-so-we'll-vote-for-our-own-just-to-prevent-an-English=person-winning things that allow talentless fat-tongued cunts (my choice term for Jamie Oliver) like Eoighan Quiche to come 3rd on X Factor?

Plus does anyone else find Shaun Murphy to be a smug prick?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matthew Green wrote:Plus does anyone else find Shaun Murphy to be a smug prick?
Yes, but, to be fair, if I could lose that much weight that quickly I'd figure I had a right to be fucking smug too.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I think if Robertson won, again, that would be a boost for snooker as a worldwide sport.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Absolutely. During his championship winning run a few days ago, I put it down to him just being a bit excitable. But after becoming champ he became quite smarmy, not at all gracious. However I do enjoy watching him play, even when I'm willing for him to lose. His cueing is superb.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Mark Allen is about 90/1 before the start of this session... to win the tournament! Surely this is a prime example of bookies giving odds that are too short. Given the current score in his match, and the fact that he then has to win the final, would he do that 1 time in 91? I don't think so.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martin Gardner wrote:Mark Allen is about 90/1 before the start of this session... to win the tournament! Surely this is a prime example of bookies giving odds that are too short. Given the current score in his match, and the fact that he then has to win the final, would he do that 1 time in 91? I don't think so.
You're complaining? If the bookies didn't give odds that were too short, they wouldn't be in business...

Not that I'd be too worried if a few bookies had to sell their Porsches...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Guess it will be Chubby Murphy
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Yes. And he's a sneaky twat too:
Wikipedia wrote:In a 2004 Grand Prix match, Murphy was involved in having one of Maguire's frames forfeited. As the match was about to begin, Maguire realised he had forgotten to bring his chalk with him. He asked referee Johan Oomen for permission to leave the arena.[8] While Maguire was away, Murphy spoke to the referee; the tournament director Mike Ganley was summoned and he docked Maguire a frame for not being ready to start at the scheduled time.
He's a mad Christian as well. I can't stand him.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

John Bosley wrote:Guess it will be Chubby Murphy
I hope not - twat
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Higgo looks nervous. Murphy is such a tool.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

JimBentley wrote:He's a mad Christian as well. I can't stand him.
This. I was first put off Murphy when in an interview he raved about some guy who cleaned the church he goes to, then I noticed Murphy's head is like a oil barrel and that settled it. He's a cock master.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

I enjoyed the first session & the excellent & informative commentry from Dennis Taylor & Steve Davis, both former world champions.
Then who pops up for the next session? John Virgo & a Super Mario lookalike, both of whom have won eff all, yet spout about what the players on the table should be doing ad nauseum
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Davy Affleck wrote:I enjoyed the first session & the excellent & informative commentry from Dennis Taylor & Steve Davis, both former world champions.
Then who pops up for the next session? John Virgo & a Super Mario lookalike, both of whom have won eff all, yet spout about what the players on the table should be doing ad nauseum
Willie Thorne has hit more 147s than pretty much any other player in history, so he's got some knowledge of technique, even if it broke down on the big stage.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

[quote="Ian Volante Willie Thorne has hit more 147s than pretty much any other player in history, so he's got some knowledge of technique, even if it broke down on the big stage.[/quote]

He's still a moaning faced twat
Well done John Higgins - I wish I had put some cash on you as well as voting for you on this thread