Health and safety on the railways? It didn't exist

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Health and safety on the railways? It didn't exist

Post by George Jenkins »

Health and safety on the Railways? It didn't exist in the old days.
This is probably of interest only to Railway enthusiasts, and is an indication of how we were expected to work. I'll set the scene on the day that I passed my Exam to be an engine driver. there were two of us up for it, and George Mockridge, the inspector, was asking us questions on the rule book. He asked me a question, and when I was about halfway with the answer, he stopped me and told the other bloke to finish it. When he had finished, George asked me if he was right. I said no. Then George asked the other bloke to answer a question, and at halfway George asked me to finish it. I told him that I couldn't, because the first half was wrong. George then told us why he operated like that. It was to find out if we could be swayed and ordered to do things by people who didn't know the rules. He then told us about an applicant who answered a question correctly, but changed his mind when the other one said something different, which was wrong. George failed him at once and told him to come back in six months, by which time he should have learnt to be confident of his own knowledge.

Now to the evening at the tail end of the rush hour. I was working a freight down the Dartford loop, and was stopped at Bexley station. A young porter aged about fifteen, told me that a message from the signalman instructed me to pass the signal at danger, and I must examine the line looking for a body. I told the boy to tell the signalman that I won't do that, because I had a heavy freight on a steep down gradient, I was tender first which prevented me seeing the track in front, I had to lean out of the side of the engine to observe signals ahead, and I was not going to allow a child of fifteen to ride on the back of the tender, leaning over and in pitch darkness, trying to spot a dead body. (When a line is searched for any reason, a "competent" person must ride in the cab helping with the search). The boy came back and told me that "Control" (the group in charge of communications) ordered me to search the line because I was holding up all the traffic from London.

I again sent the boy back to the signalman with instructions to tell Control to mind their own business and arrange to have the line searched on foot, because I couldn't see anything on the track, being tender first. After about half an hour, an electric train came along the "up" line, traveling very slowly. The cab light was on, and I could see two men in the cab with torches. they reported that there was no body on the line, so my signal was pulled off and off I went. Apparently, a train had arrived at Bexley with a door open and it was assumed that somebody had fallen out.

The next day of course, I had to see the Shed master and explain why "I" had paralysed the evening service, and he was in a very bad temper. I explained the situation, the fact that I couldn't see the track, and being tender first etc. He then said that it was nothing to do with me, it was the responsibilty of the man riding with me who was examining the line.

I got a bit nasty then, and I said "so that little boy must ride on the end of the tender, looking down in the dark, and if he spots a body, he shouts out stop if he hasn't fainted. I'll slam the brakes on and we'll carry on for another quarter of a mile because of the weight of the train and the steep gradient. Then I'll walk back to see how many pieces I'd cut the body up in. And if it can be proved that it was alive before I ran over it, that's me in the dock for manslaughter" (A Driver who ran past a red light resulting in the death of a passeger went to prison for manslaughter). "And another thing, when that boy is on the back of the tender, I can't see him, and I won't know if he is still there or fallen off".

He then said to me "don't be so bloody stupid" (and I can still see his face and hear his voice). I looked at him and thought, this bastard was a driver once and he should be supporting me, but of course, he wasn't the Shed master because of intelligence. He had "friends" and promotion was guaranteed. that's how it was in those day's.

Then he got a bit friendlier, and he said, "We've decided to overlook your action this time if you promise not to do it again. I said very nastily, "I'll do it everytime where the safety of the public is concerned, and you can't do fuck-all about it, because I'm the Driver, and nobody gives me orders.
For the second time I watched his face turn purple as he screeched, "fuck off out of my office"
I felt good because I'd beaten him, but only because I was in the right and he new it.

I remembered George Mockridge the Inspector, when he said, "don't allow ignorant people to influence your actions, bacause in the end, you will be held responsible"
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Re: Health and safety on the railways? It didn't exist

Post by John Bosley »

I really liked reading your story,George. it is not just the facts or whether it is true or not it also your ability with words. :)
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

John Bosley wrote:I really liked reading your story,George. it is not just the facts or whether it is true or not it also your ability with words. :)
Every word is true John, and I wouldn't insult you people with fictional stories. In, fact, a couple of weeks ago, an old workmate came to me for advice about his heating system. I'd installed it about thirty years ago, and the boiler had to be changed. The plumber who he had hired couldn't work out how I'd managed to install the old backboiler and pipe it up. Over a cup of tea, my old mate Ken said, do you remember the time when old Knotty told you to fuck off out of his office.

We had a good laugh talking about old times, and it was a different World from today's political correctness and health and safety laws.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Re: Health and safety on the railways? It didn't e

Post by Adam Dexter »

That's brought some shine to a Tuesday morning :)
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

George Jenkins wrote:and you can't do fuck-all about it, because I'm the Driver, and nobody gives me orders.
I really hope you had him pinned against the wall by his collar when you said this.

(It's very reassuring that train drivers don't take orders from anyone by the way.)
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jon Corby wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:and you can't do fuck-all about it, because I'm the Driver, and nobody gives me orders.
I really hope you had him pinned against the wall by his collar when you said this.

(It's very reassuring that train drivers don't take orders from anyone by the way.)
I hope that I didn't create a wrong impression Jon when I say that nobody gives a Driver orders. We had our rostered duties to perform, and provided that our Driver's supervisor knew that we were about, nobody interfered with us. At Victoria, we had turns of duty starting at 04.45 with no Supervisors signing on till 07.00. we just got on with the job. It was when things went wrong with the service we had to be careful. One instance occurred with one of my mates. Between the stations Hyam and Strood in Kent, only one track was in use due to maintenance. Between the two stations was Strood tunnel, About half a mile long. A man nominated as a "Pilotman" had to travel on every train in the drivers cab. This assured the driver that he wouldn't meet another train coming from the opposite direction. My mate Lou was waiting at Hyam, when a Person with lots of gold braid on his cap told Lou, " alright to go Driver, the Pilotman is waiting at Strood",

Lou said "Oh is he? He should be here with me, so I ain't going". Lou himself told me this. After a few minutes Lou had a bit of a shock, a train emerged from the tunnel, and he could see the Pilotman in the cab with the Driver. If Lou had taken notice of the impressive gold braid he might have hit the other train head on in the tunnel, and that would have resulted in three dead men.

We would naturally take instructions if it was applicable to our duties. Just one more thing, Nobody was allowed on the Engine or in a cab without the Driver's permission, and it didn't matter how high they were.

In that respect, an incident happened which caused much hilarity amongst the Drivers. A train (electric) drew into London Bridge Station. An Inspector (an ex-Driver, and one detested by all the blokes) got into the cab to ride with the Driver. Also in the cab, was another Driver. Douglas (the Inspector) told this Driver that he had no business in the cab so get out. That Driver vacated the cab with great elacrity.

Then the starting bell from the guard went Ding! Ding! but the Driver just sat there. Ding! Ding! again, and still no movement. Douglas said, Why aren't you going? that's your signal to start"
The Driver said,"I ain't going anywhere, that bloke you chucked out was my Conductor, and I don't know the road, so I ain't moving". Of course, Douglas rushed out to bring the other bloke back, but he had vanished, and I bet that was the quickest move that Driver had done for years.

Douglas said to the Driver, "I know the road so I'll conduct you" and and the Driver replied, "no you ain't,you are only an Inspector, I want a Driver who is a responsible person", It was a long time before another Driver could be found. Delicious
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

George, I love your railway memories. They would look good collected into a book - if they aren't already! :)
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

John Bosley wrote:George, I love your railway memories. They would look good collected into a book - if they aren't already! :)
Thank you John, I've never thought of a book and it's too late now. In any case, being a rich pensioner, I don't need the money. not like when I was working and and we all had at least two jobs, to pay the mortgage and buy the potatoes etc, to ward off starvation.

I remember the time when all us Drivers were extremely happy, but that unusual experience only lasted for four days. I will call this chapter "Reckless Drivers?"

We were all on electric trains by now and on this particular day, in the rush hour and with the train packed with commuters, I approached Victoria station, crossing the river, and just on the down gradient, applied what we called a splash of brake. With the old pre-war stock, every splash of brake reduced the amount of pressure available in the supply reservoir, so the speed approaching the platform had to be matched to the available brake pressure left in the main reservoir. If, on entering the platform it became obvious that the train was slowing too quickly, I couldn't release the blake until the speed was almost at a standstill. the reason being that I wouldn't have enough brake pressure left to stop the train, and also by the time the brakes were re-applied, I would have hit the buffer stops. with that old stock, we couldn't partially release the brake, it was either on or off.

However, on this day I judged it right, and gradually reduced speed until a final splash stopped the train gently about six feet from the stops. Of course, this was normal practice and only occasionally would a train hit the stops. I heard this happen only once at Holborn station. A lot of us were up in the mess-room, and we heard the bang. We all said "Oops".

I left the cab and on the platform was Inspector Jack Pollen. I said "Hello Jack, what are you after", and he said "you, I observed the way you approached the platform, and you were going to fast, I want your name and Depot" I gave him a lovely smile (I had my own teeth then) and said "but Jack, you were a Driver once, and you were the same as us." He said, "I know, but somebody higher up has decided that driver are too reckless, and it has got to stop". My smile got even wider as I visualized the fun I was going have in the future.

Then I found out that there was an Inspector stationed at every terminal, and most of the Drivers had their names in the book. The next day, I observed and obeyed all the coasting boards when approaching stations. A coasting board is a diamond shaped indicator painted white, mounted on a post beside the track. Drivers are instructed to shut off power at that point, and coast to the station. This will save power and assures that the train will arrive exactly on time.

Unfortunately the boys in the offices who worked all this out, failed to account for packed trains slowing up on gradients, old ladies taking their time leaving or boarding trains, young mothers with prams etc, and the fact that the time allowed for station stops was about thirty seconds. (I think). Anyway, the further I went, the more time was lost, and I made sure that not a single second was recovered. I must say though that it was a nice leisurely ride, usually we all tear about making up time. What I didn't know, was that all my mates were doing the same, and we didn't have to have a mass meeting to vote on it.

When I approached Victoria and was going over the river I slowed down before reaching the down gradient to about five M.P.H. this would enable me to stop or at least slow down using the hand brake if the train brake failed, as per rule. (no hope). I finally reached the platform which had taken me about five minutes (usually about thirty seconds) and trundled gently along, with the passengers overtaking me, because, quite rightly, they'd worked out that by leaving the train they would get to work a lot quicker.

I changed ends for the down journey, met the Guard halfway and informed him that I wanted the brake tested as per rule. I could see that my signal was off and the porters were blowing their whistles like mad, trying to attract the attention of the Guard and Driver who wouldn't look out of their cabs. that feat wasn't possible, because we ain't there yet. I released the brake which then started the compressors, waited for maximum pressure in the main reservoir and applied the full brake. I released the brake and waited for the Guard's reply. When he applied the brake, he was telling me that the brakes were functioning properly throughout the train. the rules state that the brake must be tested every time that the Driver and Guard changes ends. Usually we only did it once.

It wasn't long before newspapers were screeching about militant Train Drivers wrecking the country, bringing down the Government and letting the Russian hordes in etc. One newspaper Columnist wrote that if the rules caused such chaos, it was time to change them. What he didn't know was that the rules were designed to protect the Railway Management, not the employees.

Well! on the forth day, with my passengers still overtaking me on the platform, (I remember two young girls waving goodbye to me, they were smiling) I espied Inspector Jack Pollen standing near the buffer stops. "Hello Jack", I said with a friendly smile. Jack said "Driver, I've been told to ask you if you would go back to normal working, the list with your name on it has been scrapped" So I said "oh! that's good Jack, so now I can go back to trying to kill passengers" Poor Jack said," Oh! you know what I mean".

So we went back to normal working and what a relief that was. Now we can tear about again.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Um... maybe a book about ghosts?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jon Corby wrote:Um... maybe a book about ghosts?
Sod it, I'd forgotten about the ghosts. Hope I sleep tonight.
Joking aside, ghosts certainly livened the Forum up for a little while, didn't they?
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

George Jenkins wrote:Health and safety on the Railways? It didn't exist in the old days.
This is probably of interest only to Railway enthusiasts, and is an indication of how we were expected to work.
Just to correct your misconception, George, I'm by no means a railway enthusiast but still find your stories really interesting and entertaining. Keep up the good work!
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

David Roe wrote:I'm by no means a railway enthusiast but still find your stories really interesting and entertaining.
Me too. I particularly liked that last bit about the braking. I bet you make a great grandad! Er... I mean, a brilliant grandad, unless of course you are also a great-grandad... argh.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Clare Sudbery wrote:
David Roe wrote:I'm by no means a railway enthusiast but still find your stories really interesting and entertaining.
Me too. I particularly liked that last bit about the braking. I bet you make a great grandad! Er... I mean, a brilliant grandad, unless of course you are also a great-grandad... argh.
Yes Clare. I am a great-grandad with a wonderful family. I still like to look at the girls though.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Great stuff George - and I would think that many organisations have similar problems...

Kevin
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Great stuff George - and I would think that many organisations have similar problems...

Kevin
Thank you Kevin, and I hope that you make allowances for the fact that old bastards like me, (sorry , that was a lie, because my parents married just a month before I was born, thereby saving me from the dreadful stigma of being born out of wedlock, and in 1928, that was a stigma that you carried all your life. I like today's attitude much better.), now! where was I? Oh yes, we have only memories to think about, and we know that we haven't got much future. When one of my golfing friends, eighty two years old, and has got a lot wrong with him, asked his Doctor what his chances are, the Doctor replied, "One morning you won't wake up." We all roared with laughter, and so did he.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Clare Sudbery wrote:
Lol

Great new avatar Clare! Am looking forward to seeing your time on the show.

To keep the thread on track though I hope your training paid off, and if you do win you'll be chuffed but won't get above your station.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Derek Hazell wrote:To keep the thread on track though I hope your training paid off, and if you do win you'll be chuffed but won't get above your station.
Well I dunno, it was six weeks ago now... do you think I've got above my station? Actually my local train station is up three flights of stairs, so probably not. But then again, I'm sitting in the attic of a very tall house, so maybe...

Don't worry though, I'm blogging the whole experience - so you'll be able to satisfy your curiosity at tedious length next week.

George, I'm sorry, I imagine you'd like to be known as not just a (great) grandfather. I was only thinking what great company you must be if you keep telling tales like that.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Clare Sudbery wrote:next week
1st game, ouch.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:next week
1st game, ouch.
Don't read anything into that. It might be a spoiler, it might be a red herring. I've made everything purposefully ambiguous (eg, first can also equal last).
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Clare Sudbery wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:To keep the thread on track though I hope your training paid off, and if you do win you'll be chuffed but won't get above your station.
Well I dunno, it was six weeks ago now... do you think I've got above my station? Actually my local train station is up three flights of stairs, so probably not. But then again, I'm sitting in the attic of a very tall house, so maybe...

Don't worry though, I'm blogging the whole experience - so you'll be able to satisfy your curiosity at tedious length next week.

George, I'm sorry, I imagine you'd like to be known as not just a (great) grandfather. I was only thinking what great company you must be if you keep telling tales like that.
Don't be sorry Clare, I thought your comments were hilarious, and I love all that. (and you too)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

George Jenkins wrote:I love all that. (and you too)
Ha! An admirer at last!

[polishes chufty badge]
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Clare Sudbery wrote:[polishes chufty badge]
That's disgusting.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:[polishes chufty badge]
That's disgusting.
Yeah sorry, the baby gets banana on everything. And weetabix. It looks like there's scrambled egg, too.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Yeah sorry, the baby gets banana on everything. And weetabix. It looks like there's scrambled egg, too.
:lol:
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Great stuff George

My Grandad was an engine driver and told me stories of Shap and Kyle of Lochalsh.

I used to wear his cap and wait for a sip of cold engine tea when he came home.

He used to roll big lumps of anthrosite down the bank as we lived on the norhtern line.

I was allowed on the footplate at the sheds where he finished his time with BR.

Still have his Gold Watch presented for 42 years service.

Have shivers going up my spine just writing this.

He also served in WW1 at Wipers as he called it came home with some shrapnel in his leg well thats what he told me.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh my word where have we come to now.

Cheers George wish I could buy you a beer.

What a golden age
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Indeed, I remember that golden age.

When management and staff of the nationalised railway system were motivated not by profit, but were united in their mission to provide a comfortable, efficient and prompt service for their passengers. As George has described so well.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I've only just got round to reading these stories, George, and as a railway enthusiast myself (but a modern day diesel and electric one, not steam) I loved reading them. It's great - please keep posting in this thread about other stories/anecdotes you have. Maybe we should get you in dictionary corner some time! :D
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Les Butterworth wrote:Great stuff George

My Grandad was an engine driver and told me stories of Shape and Kyle of Lochalsh.

I used to wear his cap and wait for a sip of cold engine tea when he came home.

He used to roll big lumps of anthracite down the bank as we lived on the northern line.

I was allowed on the footplate at the sheds where he finished his time with BR.

Still have his Gold Watch presented for 42 years service.

Have shivers going up my spine just writing this.

He also served in WW1 at Wipers as he called it came home with some shrapnel in his leg well that's what he told me.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh my word where have we come to now.

Cheers George wish I could buy you a beer.

What a golden age
Hi Les, you brought back memories of Engine tea alright. We kept the tea on the flare plate, just above the firebox door. Above that, was the regulator spindle which passed through a leak proof packing gland which always leaked. Our teacan never emptied and I shudder when I think of the muck that we were always drinking. I've seen small fish swimming in the tender, which means that some of our water came straight from a river.

A lot of our freight was from Hither Green to Willesden, and because of the amount of traffic at that time, It could take up to eight hours to do the thirteen miles to Willesden, and then of course, there was the return trip. At Hither Green Depot, we had a Motto, "Found your family fortune in the Willesden gang."

The Drivers would use the firing shovel to cook their dinner on. There was always plenty of time, and it was not unusual to spend two hours or more at one signal, such was the volume of freight traffic. I'd sterolise the shovel with the Pep pipe, that's a short hose direct from the boiler, and situated on the fireman's side of the cab. My Driver, Harry, was frying his sausages and eggs, with the shovel just balanced nicely on the fire-hole opening, and I can still hear them sizzling, when the signal came off. I said "O.k Harry, we've got the signal". Harry then opened the regulator, completely forgetting his dinner, and the first blast sucked the whole lot into the firebox. Poor Harry was horrified. I was alright, because I had bread and jam, and I wouldn't give him any. Well! I had to do the work didn't I? and I was a growing lad and had to keep my strength up, so there!

Harry had a weakness, He couldn't resist searching the freight vans for loot, and when the Police searched his house, they found lots of stuff that he couldn't account for. Like lots of radio sets buried under his coal in the coal cellar. Unfortunately his fireman's house was also searched, and a similar radio was found. the fireman was sacked and Harry went to prison.

Later when I was driving , I had a job to remember with affection right to this day. Again it was Hither Green to Willesden, and we signed on at 11.59 (for young people, that was 23.59) on a Saturday evening. Normally I would have a "W" class tank engine, but this evening I had a "C" class tender engine. I was surprised how quickly we arrived at Willesden, and the Guard was
delighted to tell me that our return train was all ready to go. That made me feel very sad, because if we got back to our Loco shed before our time was up, I would have to oil up engines and the fireman clean fires etc. This was so that we could fill our time sheet up with work.

So my cunning plan was to proceed to Wilsden Loco shed to turn the Engine in order to work back to Hither Green Engine first, which I was entitled to do. When driving tender first, there was always coal dust flying in our faces etc. So off we went to Wilsden Loco, turned the Engine on the turntable and asked a Wilsden Driver where we could go to be out of the way. My fireman went to make the tea and we settled down nice and warm and cosy. This was about 4.00 A.M. and when we woke up, the sun was high in the sky and the fire was out.

We search everywhere for combustible material, and when we got a bit of steam up, we were able to use the "blower" to draw the fire up quicker. We got back onto our train, then back to Hither Green, unhooked, then down to the Loco, and signed off at exactly 12.00 midday. 12hours and 1 minute at Sunday rate.

Nobody queried it, because that was the usual sort of time in the Wilsden gang. My conscience didn't hurt, because the Government didn't think that Engine Driver's were worth paying as much as office Typists. I remember the big advert at Charing Cross station. The Alfred Marks Bureau. Wanted! Office typists. £12.10s 0. Per week. Top rate Drivers Pay £8 8s 6d.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I've only just got round to reading these stories, George, and as a railway enthusiast myself (but a modern day diesel and electric one, not steam) I loved reading them. It's great - please keep posting in this thread about other stories/anecdotes you have. Maybe we should get you in dictionary corner some time! :D
I'd better not Kirk, I'd have all the contestants join our Union, A.S.L.F. and have them all out on strike in no time.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Times gone by... but more they stay the same. It seems for some reason you get paid more for sitting on your arse than performing a useful function for society.

Write that book, George!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

kevin manthorpe wrote:Times gone by... but more they stay the same. It seems for some reason you get paid more for sitting on your arse than performing a useful function for society.

Write that book, George!
Thank you Kevin, but I am only writing about the high lights that I still remember clearly. I worked forty seven years on the railway, seven years as a fireman, and forty years as a Driver. I should have kept a diary, but when you're young, the future seems a long way off.

I did intend to spread these experiences over many weeks, but then I thought that I might drop down dead and never write about them, and that would really piss me off. (sorry girls, I have learnt to swear since reading articles written by young blokes on this Forum)

What I find distressing, is that I still feel angry when I think of some incidents that happened. It seems that the older we get, we live more in the past, and I find myself saying under my breath, something like "you bastard" like in the incident that that I'll tell you about now.

I arrived outside Victoria with a four coach set, and got the subsidiary calling on signal, which told me that I was going on to an occupied line. This was normal and I knew that I was going to attach to another four coach set to make up an eight coach train. I stopped as normal about six feet from the other set, and waited for the passengers to detrain. I knew that I might have trouble attaching, because both sets were on a curve, and both automatic buckeye couplings would not be lined up straight

The porter in charge of the coupling up told me to ease up onto the other unit, which I did very gently. Of course, what I thought would happen did happen, both jaws of the couplings couldn't interlock, and closed each other up. That is a minor collision but because I was gentle no harm was done. the porter opened up the jaws again and said ease up again. At this point I should have instructed the porter to push the couplings over in opposite directions, this would have widened the gap between the jaws and allowed them to interlock. the couplings could be swiveled , and that was to take up movement because of curves in the line. However, I was reluctant to interfere with his job, and decided to have one more try just to prove to him that he would have to get down on the track and push the couplings over. He should have known that already, but was obviously undertrained, probably by somebody else who was undertrained.
The same thing happened of course.

"HIT THE BLOODY THING"

I thought "Eh, who was that", I looked across the tracks over onto platform three, and there stood a magnificent figure, completely covered with gold braid from head to foot. He looked a very important person. Next to him was a man in a brown suit and wearing a bowler hat. Now he WAS a very important person. Also on the platform were a couple of hundred passengers, all looking over at this idiot of a Driver who couldn't do his job. (it was the rush hour).

Again he shouted "hit the bloody thing" making a punching movement with his fist.

It's funny how images remain with you all your life, I can see their faces looking at me, and they seemed be disconnected from their bodies. I shut the brake down, because I intended to leave the train without attaching, after I'd finished with that ignorant bastard who liked to advertise his importance.

I said very loudly so that everybody could hear, "If you don't shut your bleeding mouth and mind your own business, I'm going to leave this train unattached, tell all my mates, and this train won't move until tomorrow when the next shift books on. I don't need a jumped up porter to tell me my job. And if I did what you ordered, I'd smash these couplings up and push that other set over the buffer stops.

That had a wonderful effect on the crowd, about two hundred faces swivelled, and watched, as I did, a red flush spread up from his neck and all over his face

I changed my mind about leaving the train, the platform was crowded with people waiting to go home, and it didn't seem right that they should suffer because of a self-important windbag. and in any case, they are the reason that I have a job.

I told the young porter what to do with the couplings, eased up gently, heard the click, pulled away to test the connection and carried on with my duties. If I had left the train, I wouldn't have been punished by the management. I would have pleaded being unsafe to drive because of harrassment by the Station Master. And nobody would have ordered me to work, they would want to protect their own backs.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Great story, George. I'm glad you had enough confidence in your own abilities to ignore some other more-important person.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Great story, George. I'm glad you had enough confidence in your own abilities to ignore some other more-important person.
Thank you Kirk, and if my chest sticks out any further bursting with my Ego, I'll be bursting my shirt buttons off.
I forgot to add that all those people were still watching when the job was done correctly, nice and gently with no fuss. I think that they would be drawing their own conclusions as to "Authority"
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

George Jenkins wrote:I stopped as normal about six feet from the other set, and waited for the passengers to DETRAIN.
Not such a modern word after all then . . .
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:I stopped as normal about six feet from the other set, and waited for the passengers to DETRAIN.
Yes, he is telling the story in the modern day so uses modern language.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Yes, he is telling the story in the modern day so uses modern language.
Blimey! lads, this true story telling is like a minefield and I can see that I must tread very carefully. However, that was the language we used in those days. I had an incident after leaving Bromley South station on the way to Sevenoaks. I was running at speed on the down line and passed a train also running at speed on the up line. If my calculations were correct our passing speed would be more than one hundred miles per hour. I saw somebody lean out of the up train and lob something towards my cab. It was a large stone and it came through the observation window on the other side of the cab. It completely shattered the window, the pieces of which flew all over the cab, including me. I even had pieces down my neck. When I stopped at Swanley, I told the Guard what had happened, and that I was going to terminate the service and berth the train in Swanley Sidings and that is what I did. In my report I wrote -----and the Guard detrained the passengers and informed them of the circumstances.
then I went straight home, stripped off and jumped into the bath, and I'm sure that you didn't wish to know that, especially the girls.
That happened in the late 1950's, and missile throwing is still going on, especially on motorways, with concrete being dropped on traffic, killing car drivers.

In my 1956 dictionary. Detrain, the act of leaving a train.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

To George and all those who have shown interest in railway stuff - I recently read a couple of books by Andrew Martin that you might like to read. They are thrillers about Jim Stringer 'Steam Detective' and all based on the steam era on the railway. He is an enthusiast of steam and apparently learned to drive steam locomotives (under supervision) but I bet George could tell him a thing or two.

Titles : 'The Necropolis Railway' and 'The Blackpool Highflyer'
(published by Faber and Faber Ltd)

Cheers
John
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

George Jenkins wrote:In my 1956 dictionary. Detrain, the act of leaving a train.
Oh sorry, I thought Susie had said it was a modern word which had come over from America, and I came on here to say you might have found an earlier origin of a word that she and the dictionary may be interested in. But I'm talking Balderdash and Piffle again.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

George

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed these stories. They are great stuff and give a great insight into your working life and character.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

John Bosley wrote:To George and all those who have shown interest in railway stuff - I recently read a couple of books by Andrew Martin that you might like to read. They are thrillers about Jim Stringer 'Steam Detective' and all based on the steam era on the railway. He is an enthusiast of steam and apparently learned to drive steam locomotives (under supervision) but I bet George could tell him a thing or two.

Titles : 'The Necropolis Railway' and 'The Blackpool Highflyer'
(published by Faber and Faber Ltd)

Cheers
John
Thank you John, I'll try to get that book from the library.

Perhaps you would like to read of relationships between Drivers and firemen.
My first Driver was a nice old boy (he was old to me in his fifties) who was a bit religious. I was eighteen years old, and he told me once that he liked me better than all the other blooming Firemen, because they swear all the time. Actually, I had noticed that he didn't swear, so I didn't. (If you can't beat 'em, join them, that's my motto.) Also, he liked to listen to my tales about fishing, and how you could usually tell what kind of fish were taking the bait, by the actions of the float. All things like that.
One late evening we were on the way to Wilsden, and all the bedroom lights were on in the houses beside the track. But there was always one with the curtains wide open, and a young lady with nothing on would wave to us as we trundled by. The house was on my side of the Engine, so I called to my Driver, "Ere Frank, have a look at this", He gave a brief glance and said to me, "That's not very nice George, that's being a peeping tom". I felt suitably reprimanded and embarraressed, but as the young lady's action was deliberate, with the intention of entertaining us, I didn't quite see the logic of his thinking

I brought that incident up because I couldn't understand something that happened with Frank later on. I'd left him to go up to another gang. As Firemen were promoted or left the job, we progressed up in the gangs until we reached the "top link".

Frank stopped coming to work, because as we found out later, he had been arrested on a charge of indecent exposure. I didn't believe it, it certainly wasn't the Frank that I knew. He was fined and our Union got his Job back on condition that he took Psychiatric treatment. the next we heard, was that he had been charged with a second offence and imprisoned for three Months. we still thought that he had been set up. He died soon afterwards.

My next Driver was Percy, and on the first day we had a Ballast train. A ballast train conveyed material for line repairs, and was always at night. we had to prepare our Engine, the Driver oiling up, and the Fireman filling the sand boxes, (for blowing sand under the wheels in slippery conditions), making the fire up, and shovelling the coal forward on the tender. I was on the tender shovelling when along came Percy. He looked up at me and said (he had a whining nasal voice) "What oiling yer done". I said,"nothing, I'm doing my own work". He turned and marched back across the shed and went into the Foreman's office. the Foreman, Bill Courts, came out and came over to me, still shovelling. He looked up and said, "what have you done to old Perce Jenk. He's in the office crying his eyeballs out. I said "nothing; I didn't know that he wanted the oiling done". I could see then that I was going to have a miserable time with Percy

A couple of days later, we were chomping along, and Percy looked over at me and barked, "what we got", I'd just finished shovelling an said "what do you mean" He repeated "what we got". I twigged it then, we were on a curve and he couldn't see the signals, so I looked out and told him ,"O.K. all green". From then on I made sure that I kept him informed all the time about signals that he couldn't see. Usually, If the Fireman was inexperienced the Driver would cross the footplate to see the signals himself, But Percy soon put me right about that, he wasn't going walkabout.

I had two and a half years with Percy, and It wasn't a happy time for me. If an observation window rattled I had to stuff it up with something quick or it would set Percy off on another tantrum. He was always rowing with shunters etc. then came the happy time when I was informed that I was going up into another gang, and I told Percy that I was leaving him next week. He went very silent and finally asked, "Who am I having then?". I said, "I've heard that Bone is taking my place". Now I knew from the grapevine, that Bony was pretty useless as a Fireman, and "Gawd help him with Percy" as the saying goes. However, came the last day when Percy and me worked together, and we got off the Engine and proceded to the stores where we had to take the bucket of tools back. I handed them over and said to Percy, "Cheerio Perce, I'll see you around". Percy said, "Wait a minute George,I've got something for you " He took a little packet out of his pocket, nicely gift wrapped and said, "a little something to show my appreciation for the good times we've had together, and you are the best Fireman that I've ever had. It was a Conway Stewart fountain pen and pencil set.
There are times lads and lassies, when the heart is so full that it's difficult to find the right words, so I just said "thank you Perce", but was I relieved to be parted from him? you can bet your life I was. But whenever me and Perce met, His face would light up with a smile, a smile that I never saw for two and a half years. His new Fireman only lasted a few weeks, before he left the railway.

Joking aside, Percy's discipline was good for me, and he turned me into a good Fireman. I would get feedback of how I looked after the Drivers and made their job easier.

Talking about Discipline, there was a crash at Lewisham that killed about ninety people. It was rush hour and the train was packed. It was dark and a bit foggy and the Engine was I believe, a battle of Britain class, named, I'm almost certain, "Spitfire". The signals between New Cross and St.Johns were mostly on the Fireman's side. The Driver would not be able to see the signals as he got nearer to them, and that would be the time that he should be able to rely on the Fireman to help, Just as I ALWAYS helped the Driver, thanks to Percy's discipline. The Fireman was not officially at fault of course, he was doing his job, shovelling coal

I don't know what was in the Driver's mind when he carried on past the signal at the end of St John's platform which was red, and he couldn't see it. Did he assume that it would be off just because he was on a fast express, or did he just forget about the signal. I know that you can say that hindsight is easy, but I would know that the Driver couldn't see the signals, he can't cross the footplate because I am in the way shovelling. So I won't shovel. I will be looking out for signals to help the Driver.

At the Driver's Trial, he was shaking so much, the Women on the Jury cried. the Judge stopped the Trial and threw it out. The Driver was then confined to shed duties until he retired.

So you say that It's alright for me to talk. O.K. I will.

I'm now in the top link, and my Driver is the Senior Driver. we have a "special" train. It's full with Boy Scouts. We've got a King Arthur Engine and we are going to Dover via Maidstone. We are on the way to East Malling, going down Malling bank. The Driver has got the regulator full open, including what we called the second valve. I am watching him, and wondering why he wants to to do more than ninety M.P.H. on a down hill gradient about two miles long, and where we are bound to catch up with traffic in front. I'm shovelling like mad, but stop as we approach the right-hand curve when I would be able to see West Mallings Distant signal. The Distant signal is not a stop signal. It is a warning signal which indicates whether the Home signals are on or off.

As soon as we hit the curve I spotted the Distant signal on. I didn't bother to tell the Driver, I rushed over to his side, dropped the brake handle, and slammed the regulator shut. As the Distant signal flashed past I pointed at it and that was when his pipe fell out of his mouth. We roared past the signal box with the Signalman staring at us, through the station, past the signal at red which protects the section in advance, and finally stopped about a quarter of mile in advance of the station, and just disappearing round the curve is the brake van of a freight.

I trotted back to the Signal box, and he said, "no harm done, wait here till the section is clear". When he got the clearance from the Signalman in advance, he said "O.K. mate, Off you go"

That Driver retired shortly afterwards, and I last saw him on Dartford Station, his wife was leading him along, and it seemed that he didn't know where he was.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Some very sad stories there, George. Have you got all this stuff written down somewhere?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

John Bosley wrote:Some very sad stories there, George. Have you got all this stuff written down somewhere?
John, all these stories are branded in my memories, and it is the same with my workmates, although there are not many of them left now. When I used to go to all our reunions, we would have somebody say,"Do you remember when---?""
In my last post, I said that I dropped the brake handle and slammed the regulator shut. I had taken over control because I was looking after my own skin. Because of the speed and deafening noise of the Engine, I would waste time shouting at the Driver trying to make myself heard. The proper course for the Signalman to take would be to report the incident, and the Driver would have been disciplined, usually by time off without pay. But, often in these cases, and when no harm was done, it was live and let live, because we are only Human, and that included mistakes by the Signalmen. I am only writing about these events because all the players are now dead and can't be touched. Later, after shopping with my lovely Wife, I will write about the time I did report a Signalman.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

George Jenkins wrote:
John Bosley wrote:Some very sad stories there, George. Have you got all this stuff written down somewhere?
John, all these stories are branded in my memories, and it is the same with my workmates, although there are not many of them left now. When I used to go to all our reunions, we would have somebody say,"Do you remember when---?""
In my last post, I said that I dropped the brake handle and slammed the regulator shut. I had taken over control because I was looking after my own skin. Because of the speed and deafening noise of the Engine, I would waste time shouting at the Driver trying to make myself heard. The proper course for the Signalman to take would be to report the incident, and the Driver would have been disciplined, usually by time off without pay. But, often in these cases, and when no harm was done, it was live and let live, because we are only Human, and that included mistakes by the Signalmen. I am only writing about these events because all the players are now dead and can't be touched. Later, after shopping with my lovely Wife, I will write about the time I did report a Signalman.
I left a place called North End, near dartford, with a coal train. I approached Crayford spur. that's where I would get a right-hand signal to cross over the tracks, round the spur and join the line up the Dartford loop to Hither green. I crept along because my signal in the distance was red. when I stopped at the signal, I noticed that all the signals for the up line were off for a train approaching from Dartford. It was 22.00 in the evening and quite dark, and I saw the train approaching round the curve from Dartford. Then I saw the signals go back to red (I could see the backs of them against the night sky) and the train had to stop very quickly. I looked back and saw all the signals were going back to red. Then the signalman pulled my signal off for me to cross over in front of the now stationary train to go round the spur.

I pulled up to the signal box and called to the Signalman. I asked him if anything had gone wrong, and he asked me why. I pointed to the train standing on the up line, and he said, "I don't know how he got there, he isn't supposed to be there". I said ok and got going to Hither Green. I did notice that the signalman was very young ( like me) and I felt that something was wrong with the signaling set up in that area. It seemed daft to me that the signalman threw the signals back against a fast passenger train, and then pulled off my signal to cross in front of him, and which would take me at least ten minutes to clear.

That night I made out a report. I repeated what the signalman said, and stressed that the driver of that passenger train had not run by red lights and I had observed that his signals were off (Green), before being put back against him. I thought that my report would be enough to protect him.

A couple of weeks later I was booked for an interview with the Shed Master. Also with him was a man from the Management. The first thing he said was to thank me for bringing to their attention, a system of signaling which was reckless and highly dangerous to the travelling public and to train crews. Apparently, the signalmen along that stretch of track had disconnected all the interlocking safety devices with the signals. In that section was the Bexleyheath line junction, and the Idea of interlocking, was that if a train was coming off the Bexleyheath line, and the signalman forgot about it, it would be impossible for him to pull signals for other trains on the main line from Dartford. Their reason for disconnecting the safety devices was that there were less levers to pull.

I was sorry that I had got the signalmen into trouble and said so, but he said that I shouldn't be, because I might have saved the lives of a lot of people, including my own. Then He gave me a Pound note as a reward which I was reluctant to accept, but he said that it would only go back into the Pool, so I took it and it paid the rent for that week.

I was sorry for the signalman who got two day's suspension, without pay, and my intention was only to protect the Driver. The only thing that eases my conscience is that the signalmen deliberately operated a dangerous system of signaling, which couldn't be compared to an occasional mistake which didn't do any harm.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Winter was coming to the Island of Sodor. The morning ground was covered in crisp white frost. Thomas and Emily where happily chugging up and down the line. Thomas was enjoying pulling Annie and Clarabel. He thought he was doing a grand job.

But Emily had other ideas. She thought he could be doing an even grander job. So Emily decided to help Thomas by telling him what he was doing wrong. When she saw him puffing down the branch line she cried out:

"Slow down, you're going too fast and bumping your passengers!"

Later Emily saw Thomas by a bridge. He had stopped to take on water and was talking to some children. "Stop talking to the children," called Emily "you're working and they will make you late."

"I'm never late." said Thomas huffily.

"There's always a first time." said Emily cheerfully, and she puffed away.

Thomas was cross. He loved talking to children and thought Emily was being a big bossy buffers. Annie & Clarabel agreed. "I'm never going to listen to Emily ever, ever again." said Thomas. "So there!"

The next morning a sleepy Thomas had to leave Tidmouth Sheds bright and early. He was to collect some trucks from the quarry and take them to the docks. Later that morning the Fat Controller arrived with the new weather report. "There is snow on the way. You must all have your snowploughs fitted."

"Excuse me sir," said Emily, "but Thomas has already left for the quarry."

"Then you must find Thomas and tell him Sir Topham wants him to wear his snowplough."

So Emily puffed away to get her snowplough fitted. The workmen fixed Emily's snowplough on in no time at all and she set off to find Thomas. Emily was very happy. She was looking forward to telling him what to do.

Thomas was taking on water at Marthwaite Station. Emily puffed up in front of him. She blew her whistle but Thomas didn't say hello. "She just wants to boss me again." grouched Thomas.

"Thomas!" She called. "You must go and get your snowplough fitted!"

Thomas could hear what Emily was saying but pretended he couldn't. He thought he was being very clever. So Emily tooted even louder again. "You must go and get your snowplough fitted!" she cried.

"Bother snowploughs," said Thomas "and bother Emily anyway. The weather is perfectly fine." And he puffed away as fast as he could.

Thomas delivered the trucks to the quarry. Then, set off to collect the cream from the dairy. Everything was going well. But soon the clear blue sky was eaten away by dark grey clouds. "They look like snow clouds to me." said his driver. And he was right. Soon big flakes of white snow began to fall. Then, the snow gathered into drifts and covered the tracks. "Cinders and ashes!" cried Thomas as his wheels began to slip.

Snow fell all over the island. Emily cut safely through the drifts with her snowplough. "Thomas will be in trouble now!"

Emily was right. Thomas was working harder and harder but he had to go more and more slowly. "We can't go on." said his driver. Thomas pulled to a slow sad, stop by a signal box and his driver went for help. It snowed and snowed. Thomas felt very cold and twice as miserable. Then he heard the sound of an engine. Thomas was delighted until he saw who his rescuer was. It was Emily!

"I told you to go and get your snowplough." she said. "Now look what has happened!"

Thomas was still cross. "You should say sorry for bossing me about."

"I am sorry." said Emily. "Sorry you didn't listen to me!"

Emily and Thomas chuffed into Tidmouth Sheds. The Fat Controller was waiting. He did not look happy. "Emily, you must take Thomas to get his snowplough fitted at once." said the Fat controller sternly. "You must learn to listen!"

Thomas felt bad. He didn't know it was the Fat Controller who wanted him to wear his snowplough. Emily felt bad too. She didn't like seeing Thomas in trouble. "I'm sorry sir. I forgot to tell Thomas it was your idea."

"You mean I have two engines that don't listen!" boomed the Fat Controller. "Well I never! Emily, you must take Thomas to get his snowplough fitted at once!"

Soon the work was finished and Thomas was wearing his snowplough. "Thank you for owning up." said Thomas. "You are a very good friend."

"That's all right" said Emily. "You're a very good friend too. But next time if you want to stay out of trouble, just do what I say."

Even Thomas had to laugh!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jon Corby wrote:Winter was coming to the Island of Sodor. The morning ground was covered in crisp white frost. Thomas and Emily where happily chugging up and down the line. Thomas was enjoying pulling Annie and Clarabel. He thought he was doing a grand job.

But Emily had other ideas. She thought he could be doing an even grander job. So Emily decided to help Thomas by telling him what he was doing wrong. When she saw him puffing down the branch line she cried out:

"Slow down, you're going too fast and bumping your passengers!"

Later Emily saw Thomas by a bridge. He had stopped to take on water and was talking to some children. "Stop talking to the children," called Emily "you're working and they will make you late."

"I'm never late." said Thomas huffily.

"There's always a first time." said Emily cheerfully, and she puffed away.

Thomas was cross. He loved talking to children and thought Emily was being a big bossy buffers. Annie & Clarabel agreed. "I'm never going to listen to Emily ever, ever again." said Thomas. "So there!"

The next morning a sleepy Thomas had to leave Tidmouth Sheds bright and early. He was to collect some trucks from the quarry and take them to the docks. Later that morning the Fat Controller arrived with the new weather report. "There is snow on the way. You must all have your snowploughs fitted."

"Excuse me sir," said Emily, "but Thomas has already left for the quarry."

"Then you must find Thomas and tell him Sir Topham wants him to wear his snowplough."

So Emily puffed away to get her snowplough fitted. The workmen fixed Emily's snowplough on in no time at all and she set off to find Thomas. Emily was very happy. She was looking forward to telling him what to do.

Thomas was taking on water at Marthwaite Station. Emily puffed up in front of him. She blew her whistle but Thomas didn't say hello. "She just wants to boss me again." grouched Thomas.

"Thomas!" She called. "You must go and get your snowplough fitted!"

Thomas could hear what Emily was saying but pretended he couldn't. He thought he was being very clever. So Emily tooted even louder again. "You must go and get your snowplough fitted!" she cried.

"Bother snowploughs," said Thomas "and bother Emily anyway. The weather is perfectly fine." And he puffed away as fast as he could.

Thomas delivered the trucks to the quarry. Then, set off to collect the cream from the dairy. Everything was going well. But soon the clear blue sky was eaten away by dark grey clouds. "They look like snow clouds to me." said his driver. And he was right. Soon big flakes of white snow began to fall. Then, the snow gathered into drifts and covered the tracks. "Cinders and ashes!" cried Thomas as his wheels began to slip.

Snow fell all over the island. Emily cut safely through the drifts with her snowplough. "Thomas will be in trouble now!"

Emily was right. Thomas was working harder and harder but he had to go more and more slowly. "We can't go on." said his driver. Thomas pulled to a slow sad, stop by a signal box and his driver went for help. It snowed and snowed. Thomas felt very cold and twice as miserable. Then he heard the sound of an engine. Thomas was delighted until he saw who his rescuer was. It was Emily!

"I told you to go and get your snowplough." she said. "Now look what has happened!"

Thomas was still cross. "You should say sorry for bossing me about."

"I am sorry." said Emily. "Sorry you didn't listen to me!"

Emily and Thomas chuffed into Tidmouth Sheds. The Fat Controller was waiting. He did not look happy. "Emily, you must take Thomas to get his snowplough fitted at once." said the Fat controller sternly. "You must learn to listen!"

Thomas felt bad. He didn't know it was the Fat Controller who wanted him to wear his snowplough. Emily felt bad too. She didn't like seeing Thomas in trouble. "I'm sorry sir. I forgot to tell Thomas it was your idea."

"You mean I have two engines that don't listen!" boomed the Fat Controller. "Well I never! Emily, you must take Thomas to get his snowplough fitted at once!"

Soon the work was finished and Thomas was wearing his snowplough. "Thank you for owning up." said Thomas. "You are a very good friend."

"That's all right" said Emily. "You're a very good friend too. But next time if you want to stay out of trouble, just do what I say."

Even Thomas had to laugh!
there's a good moral lesson in that little story Jon, I enjoyed reading it. I've got another little story that will make your toes curl. I don't know if the Bastard involved is still alive, but I ought to be safe if I don't name him. I'm nervous about alleged libel laws. I'll make enquires. My Grandaughter is a Barrister.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

None of your stories are serious enough for libel cases, George. It costs a fortune to sue for libel, and the rewards for publicity on a site like this would be titchy. Besides, the best defence against libel is truth. He's got to prove you're lying (on balance of probability) to win. Anyway, I want to hear more, so if he sues I'll chip in a fiver for your defence!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

David Roe wrote:None of your stories are serious enough for libel cases, George. It costs a fortune to sue for libel, and the rewards for publicity on a site like this would be titchy. Besides, the best defence against libel is truth. He's got to prove you're lying (on balance of probability) to win. Anyway, I want to hear more, so if he sues I'll chip in a fiver for your defence!
Careful, David - you only know the ones he's told so far are harmless. I'm willing to bet George has been holding his fire.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I personally have no doubt that George could successfully defend himself in court against libel if it came to it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

One of my cuddly toy raccoons is called Libel (he came from a Sue Ryder shop).
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jon Corby wrote:I personally have no doubt that George could successfully defend himself in court against libel if it came to it.
The old Bailey found him not guilty, but all the Drivers in our area knew he was. I've personally seen what he was doing, especially on dark evenings, and if I could have proved it, I would have shopped him, and had pleasure doing so. Unfortunately, what he was doing did not come up in court.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

George Jenkins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I personally have no doubt that George could successfully defend himself in court against libel if it came to it.
The old Bailey found him not guilty, but all the Drivers in our area knew he was. I've personally seen what he was doing, especially on dark evenings, and if I could have proved it, I would have shopped him, and had pleasure doing so. Unfortunately, what he was doing did not come up in court.
I contacted my Granddaughter, and she said that I am on dodgy ground. As far as the law is concerned, he is an innocent man. If I make certain allegations I can't prove, I may be in trouble.

She said that it would be one of those cases that could go either way, which reminded me of a case years ago on another Region. A Driver had some of his mates as witnesses to the fact that a signal was badly sited and difficult to read. The Judge asked them if they had reported the signal as being dangerous. None of them Had, so the Judge said that they had no evidence, only hearsay, and dismissed them. My Grandaughter told me to find out if he is dead, then I can tell the World. The trouble is that nasty people like that seem to live forever. I mean, you've only got to look at me to know that.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Can you not write it as a piece of fiction with changed names (and descriptions) of people and places?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

John Bosley wrote:Can you not write it as a piece of fiction with changed names (and descriptions) of people and places?
No John. I can't disguise it as fiction because of the ending. I can describe that as being the sting in the tail, which was an insult to all the decent conscientious drivers. I've asked one of my old mates if he is dead, he didn't know but hoped he was.

I wish now that I hadn't brought the subject up, I feel frustrated.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

George Jenkins wrote:
John Bosley wrote:Can you not write it as a piece of fiction with changed names (and descriptions) of people and places?
No John. I can't disguise it as fiction because of the ending. I can describe that as being the sting in the tail, which was an insult to all the decent conscientious drivers. I've asked one of my old mates if he is dead, he didn't know but hoped he was.

In one of my previous harangues, I mentioned safety apparatus ignored by certain signalmen. I can tell you now of one consequence of that behaviour. this did not apply to all signalmen, most of them were conscientious blokes.

An engine stopped on the main line between two Stations. He'd stopped just past a ground signal which we called the dummy, and if that dummy came off, the Driver would proceed back into the freight siding. There was a thick pea-souper fog, so the Driver sent his fireman immediately to the signal box, which was situated about fifty yards away, but could not be seen because of the fog. The fireman was carrying out rule 55, which was to remind the signalman that the engine was on the main line waiting . The fireman must also ascertain that the signalman had safety collars on his signal levers, which would prevent him from from pulling signals to allow another train into the section. the fireman must also sign the book to prove that he had done so.

So! nothing could go wrong, could it? My old mate Alf, had done the right thing at once, by sending his fireman to the signalbox, also telling him to make the tea in the teacan. But the fireman was an engine cleaner, acting fireman, and I'm thinking that he didn't know what his duties were. At that time, it was the Driver who taught their firemen, and if the Driver couldn't be bothered, that was hard luck. Later, classes were brought in to teach firemen the rules and their duties.
So Billy is making the tea and chatting with the signalman, when a train is offered by the signalman operating in the previous section. this was done by bell codes, and the signalman accepted the train, and pulled his signals off. He could do this because he hadn't used the safety collar on the signal lever. And that was the fireman's responsibility to make sure that the collar was in place, that was the reason why he was in the signal box.

Imagine the situation. The engine is on the main line. the fireman from that engine was in the signal box making tea, yet the signalman, forgetting the engine, accepted another train into his section.

Now imagine the electric train Driver, doing at least thirty M.P.H. with clear signals,being comfronted with an engine looming out of the fog, and just a few yards away. Did he know that he was going to die in acouple of seconds? Anyway, he did die, and all the signalman had to do to prevent that was to place the collar on the signal lever, but he didn't bother

The Driver of the engine, Alf is dead, Died with a smoking disease. Also the signalman is dead. Billy the acting fieman isn't too good. He's been told to pack up smoking or he will soon be dead.

Perhaps that would make an interesting subject. "My life with smokers at home and at work, a horror story". I would direct it at young people who think it would be clever and seem grown up. I could explain to them of their certain future of ill health and an ugly death. I would not direct it at adults. It is not my place to lecture people who are old enough to know their own minds, but it might make them think.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

George Jenkins wrote: I've asked one of my old mates if he is dead, he didn't know but hoped he was.
Well, we all feel like that sometime.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

George Jenkins wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:

John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Thank you, George. What a bundle of memories you have and clearly so moving. It's good for you (and us) that you share them with people on this forum and with your old colleagues and friends.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

John Bosley wrote:Thank you, George. What a bundle of memories you have and clearly so moving. It's good for you (and us) that you share them with people on this forum and with your old colleagues and friends.
Thank you John, I have a problem with some of my memories which I would like write about. I mustn't write any offensive material, but I'm not sure what that includes. Does it mean that I can't write about the history of events in which which the general public are not informed of the details. For instance, when a person uses a train to kill himself? (Notice the language, it is usually described as a suicide, which is much kinder).

I'll take a chance and describe another aspect of a train drivers job, and how it effected us. first of all, I'd like to warn persons of a nervous disposition, and possibly the Ladies, not to read any further. Chucking yourself under a train was a favourite method of leaving your troubles behind, and we noticed that approaching Christmas seemed to increase the number of incidents. Our theory was that it was paying out time for Christmas clubs, but there ain't any money left.

I was a seventeen year old fireman, and we were trundling along when my Driver said "quick, come and have a look at this". I went over to his side of the cab and saw ahead, a group of Policemen. They were grinning up at us, (funny how after sixty four years, I can still see them)

Then I saw the body lying as if it was asleep, but what spoilt that illusion, was his head, lying a couple of feet away.

One of our Drivers had seven suicides, and another had four. He left the job. Another one of my mates at Victoria, Charlie Figg, had one, a woman who jumped in front of him at shortlands station. Charlie told us what happened. He'd left Bromley South station and was fast to Victoria. He was doing about sixty M.P.H. running through Shortlands, and he noticed the woman standing on the platform. As he was about to pass her, she suddenly ran and jumped in front of him. Her head struck the front of the cab above the window, and her body slid slowly down the front of cab. As she slid down the window, she was spreading blood all over it, and her eyes were open, seemingly looking at Charlie. The train was slowing up with the emergency brakes on, and the woman slid down and went under the train

This is how Charlie described it to us, but you will never read that in the papers or on the T.V. news. What you read is that a woman committed suicide, which is nice and clean, isn't it?
Charlie never drove another train, and after the inquest, left the railway service, and went into the Post Office. He came back to see us a couple of times, and told us how much he regretted leaving the job. He missed the Family atmosphere of the men.

When you consider that we all started as engine cleaners together, passed as Drivers together, grew up in Our Depots together, Married, had children, and now gradually dying (blimey George, cheer up a bit, or as one of my old mates said recently, once, we went to Weddings, then to christenings, now we go to funerals) you can imagine the association and camaradie that we had.

When somebody shows you that he intends to kill himself under your train, you don't quite believe it at the time. I'd left Meopham station and was belting down Longfield bank, when I saw a person cross the line on the public foot crossing. I sounded the whistle, and when he'd crossed, he disappeared into bushes and trees.

Just as I was almost at the crossing, he ran back and chucked himself across the track, I saw him wriggle himself as if he was making himself comfortable, and I saw him looking up at me. the funny (?) thing was , I thought that he was having a joke and he will get up and run.

I let the dead man's handle go (they don't call it that now, it sounds too gruesome) and I felt the bump as the front wheels ran over him, and stopped a couple of hundred yards down the track. I phoned the Guard on the inter-com and told him that I had run over a bloke. I said "are you going back to look", and he said "nope", so I carried on to Longfield station. I phoned the signalman, so that he can call for the Police and Ambulance. I looked underneath the front coach to see if any part of the person was dangling there, but all that I could see was most of his shirt still dripping with blood.

When I got to victoria, I made a statement to the police, signed it and went Home, three hours later than normal.

At the inquest, the railway policeman attending there on behalf of the railway management, told me that I might be in trouble. There is a whistle board at the crossing, and in my report I didn't mention the I had sounded the whistle. I told him that I had, but he said that the Coroner will only be guided by my written report. I must add that there was nobody from the railway management to represent me, but I did have a Union man from head office to look after me. His job was to see that I had fair play.

I didn't feel very good when the mans family came in. they were all dressed in black, and the Widow was being supported by two of the family. Up till that time I was floating along being involved in an unreal situation, but seeing the family dressed in black, and in tears, brought home to me the real tragedy of situation.

The history of the man was read out. He was a prison Officer who suffered with terrible back pain. The police traced his movements on that day. there were two public foot paths, and he waited at the one at the bottom of Longfield bank. He'd smoked several cigarettes, and walked up the track to the top crossing, smoked some more, letting a couple of trains go by. then I came along.
Then the reason for the man's death was read out. It was measured out how far apart the pieces
of his body were. there were eleven pieces in all, and when it got to where his head was lying, his widow fainted. The Coroner questioned me by reading out my statement, and all I had to say was "yes sir" when necessary. The he asked me "is there a whistle board at this crossing?". I answered at once "yes sir". Then he said "then that question is covered". I loved that Coroner. A man intended to kill himself, and the Coroner was making sure that I was not going to be blamed for anything.

I was nearly forty years old at that time, and in less than a year my hair went grey.

When I mentioned the dead mans handle, it was a safety arrangement. the cabs were single manned, and if the Driver had a mishap, E.G. something coming through the window, or he fainted or whatever, he would in theory, fall off his seat, letting go of the controller, which would fly up and apply the emergency brakes. The controller had to be held down all the time we were moving.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

My brother drives a tube train, and he still calls it the dead man's handle. Maybe it's not the official name, but it's still used. He's never had a suicide, touch wood.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Here's my small contribution to you and your mates, George.

A couple of years ago I read a rather sanctimonious obituary of a highly religious man who had become very depressed and had eventually killed himself by jumping in front of a train. All his assorted pious brethren were quoted as to what a nice guy he had been, how he would never have hurt a fly, and how assiduously everybody should pray for him.
For once I abandoned my usual ascerbic style (which rarely makes it past the online censors) and posted a rather mealymouthed comment to the effect that they should rather be praying for the engine driver. And to my eternal astonishment, the newspaper published it.